PDA

View Full Version : General FTP for Trusted Senior Members

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
After seeing the FileFront thread, I came up with a bit of an idea. Maybe having an ftp for the people here wouldn't be such a bad idea. Nobody would have a personal ftp, but what about a general ftp? Of course there would have to be requirements and rules to go with with the ftp... so maybe restricting it to Senior members? Maybe the "Senior members" would need to be approved by a moderator? Putting it out there.

ODX
March 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm familiar with humanity, and the most basic thing is: People don't like it when other people get rights if we're all suppose to be treated the same.

Yes, I know it's the internet, and yes, I know the untrustworthy or unknown can't be given such rights, but people are bound to complain about not getting to use said FTP. I don't really like the idea but there's probably many things I overlooked.

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
If new members complain about not being able to use the FTP... who cares?

If we do get an FTP it would be a privilege for the members who have proven themselves to be good members of the community.

=sw=warlord
March 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM
well the rules of the forum do state people arnt given rights as such and anything provided is provided out of good will not as a given right.

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Either I'm misinterpreting your post or...

I've never mentioned the word "right" in any of my posts. I have mentioned the word "privilege" once though. There's a big difference there.

Mr Buckshot
March 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
What about hosting torrents? If someone here releases a popular but really big file (e.g. game mod), then I'm happy to help seed a torrent for a week at least (just leave your computer on overnight if you can't seed in the daytime). Those things work very well if used properly.

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I mean, we could easily set up torrents, but I'm not just talking about just big game mods. What about singular maps released by community members, such as Sel's incoming TF2 map? Besides, the only mods that actually come to mind that will be that gigantic are SPV2 and Mechwarrior. SPV2 is sure to have a really special treatment and I'm sure mech already has plenty of places that will host his mod for him. I also don't think making a torrent for SPV2 would work for very long, but that's just me. :p

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
How would you know if you were a senior member? :/

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 11:33 PM
A senior member is essentially somebody who is really active and has been for awhile. Plus, it would be up to the moderators to make the final decision.

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
A senior member is essentially somebody who is really active and has been for awhile. Plus, it would be up to the moderators to make the final decision.
I am active now, but when I first created this account I wasn't.

It'd be nice to be able to upload files here, saves time going to other places to upload something and post here for others. But how much can this server hold?

TheGhost
March 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
ftp://ftp.modacity.net/

For files, read only.

Upload to ftp://ftp.modacity.net/incoming/

If requested, it can be moved to the public directory.

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Wow. Thanks Ghost!

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Cool, but is there a file limit or anything of sorts?

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I don't think so. Just don't over use it.

p0lar_bear
March 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I think it would be a better idea to try hooking into vBulletin to upload files to an FTP, rather than allowing anyone and everyone free access to the server. Just a simple form that will allow logged-in members to upload files somewhere and log who uploads what, so it can be moderated.

SnaFuBAR
March 26th, 2009, 12:52 AM
ftp://ftp.modacity.net/

For files, read only.

Upload to ftp://ftp.modacity.net/incoming/

If requested, it can be moved to the public directory.
If i could upload to this i might release some things.

rossmum
March 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I'm familiar with humanity, and the most basic thing is: People don't like it when other people get rights if we're all suppose to be treated the same.

Yes, I know it's the internet, and yes, I know the untrustworthy or unknown can't be given such rights, but people are bound to complain about not getting to use said FTP. I don't really like the idea but there's probably many things I overlooked.
It's a private forum. The admins can do whatever they like, no matter how many people it pisses off.

In any case, it should be more for trusted members than senior ones - I can think of a couple of people who have been around a long time who I wouldn't trust with a rock, let alone anything else.

n00b1n8R
March 26th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Can you guys make the thingo Timo's got going on with his sig (rotating images) a public feature?
Perhaps you could upload to your gallary and there would be a link (which works with IMG tags) which dishes out a random image each time you open the page?

p0lar_bear
March 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I was thinking of something like that a while ago, but forget why I stopped researching it...

legionaire45
March 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the FTP space, but...

Yeah, I second the vote on having this password'ed at the very least.

Given past events, I think it's almost dangerous to have something like this open to random people. Maybe make it so that a password gets PM'ed out to you at 100 posts or something along those lines?

SnaFuBAR
March 26th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the FTP space, but...

Yeah, I second the vote on having this password'ed at the very least.

Given past events, I think it's almost dangerous to have something like this open to random people. Maybe make it so that a password gets PM'ed out to you at 100 posts or something along those lines?
well, i think that idea is poor as well. there's plenty of people who i wouldn't trust with the ftp pass. people like RG with 17 ppd. Get the ftp pass in under a week, highly immature? No thanks. Mature, well-established forum members who actually contribute to this community need the upload pass, not anyone else.

ultama121
March 26th, 2009, 03:14 AM
^I agree wholeheartedly.

On a completely unrelated side note, what are you doing up so late? :3

SnaFuBAR
March 26th, 2009, 03:17 AM
^I agree wholeheartedly.
E: wtf i'm reading shit that's not there D:

ultama121
March 26th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Lol. I was gonna post that in your visitor messages because I thought it was too offtopic. Oh well. :3

E: No no no, that was there. Rofl.

SnaFuBAR
March 26th, 2009, 03:19 AM
^I agree wholeheartedly.

On a completely unrelated side note, what are you doing up so late? :3
i'm not crazy. i'm not crazy. i'm not crazy.

E: stop fucking with my MIIIIIINNNND!!!

it's only 1:20am and i went to bed at 7am last week. delayed sleep phase syndrome ftl

I SAID THAT BEFORE GOT DAM

Bodzilla
March 26th, 2009, 06:04 AM
so whats it like being Rob, Snaffles?

n00b1n8R
March 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM
FOR UPLOAD RIGHTS:
Atleast 100 rep, 2 months min and 500 posts for senior members.
Senior members then use their forum login shitz to get FTP access.

FOR DOWNLOAD RIGHTS:
Really just a modacity account would be sufficient.
Perhaps no less than -25 rep.

Sel
March 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM
This is good and all, but if I was to upload beta tf2 maps to this it would mean anyone could get it, these are the kind of things I would prefer to keep closed to certain groups until I get something that works really well.

n00b1n8R
March 26th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Perhaps have an option when uploading to only allow the uploader's friends to download it?

ThePlague
March 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
FOR UPLOAD RIGHTS:
Atleast 100 rep, 2 months min and 500 posts for senior members.
Senior members then use their forum login shitz to get FTP access.

FOR DOWNLOAD RIGHTS:
Really just a modacity account would be sufficient.
Perhaps no less than -25 rep.
If that's how it's going to be, I need to start getting more rep :/

TheGhost
March 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM
With the way it's currently set up, it doesn't really leave room to be abused. Unless someone is trying to upload a 25 GB file or something.

The incoming directory is write only (you can't read other people's stuff - when you click the "incoming" folder it appears to be empty, but there are really files in there), and the main directory is read only (so you can only download files, not change or delete anything). Right now if you want something to be available on the FTP, you would upload to the incoming directory, let me know, and I would move it to the public folder.

TheGhost
March 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
For example, I just created a folder called "ghost (ftp://ftp.modacity.net/ghost/)", which would contain the files that I uploaded. Anyone can read from there, but no one can write to it. I see that a few people have already put files into incoming, but I have no idea whose they are.

p0lar_bear
March 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM
And what's stopping someone from, say, uploading some CP and then reporting the site? You wouldn't be able to prove that you didn't do it, because you can't find out who did.

I still say you should look into making a vBulletin product that lets members use an upload form if they meet certain requirements (rep, post count, usergroups, etc).

ThePlague
March 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I still say you should look into making a vBulletin product that lets members use an upload form if they meet certain requirements (rep, post count, usergroups, etc).
I second this, it would keep it under much more control then the way you set it up. (Not saying the way you set it up is bad, but it could be way better with vBulletin)

Inferno
March 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Does active mean...

5 green bars?
Or has released good content on the site?
Or has 2000 posts?

ETC

Ifafudafi
March 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM
And what's stopping someone from, say, uploading some CP and then reporting the site?

What's stopping a senior member from doing so? :haw:

In all seriousness, a certain requirement is needed, but leaving it to the decision of the moderators makes it just a little too subjective. (Not that the mods here would do that, but it's a matter of principle.)

Eh, let's see if this Filefront thing is an April Fool's prank or not before we get too settled.

TheGhost
March 26th, 2009, 11:14 PM
And what's stopping someone from, say, uploading some CP and then reporting the site? You wouldn't be able to prove that you didn't do it, because you can't find out who did.

Nobody can view uploaded files until I move them into the public directory. I wouldn't move something obscene into the visible area.

Also, FTP logs are way easier to go through than Apache logs.

I don't have time to make a hook, but I could look at what's available. Remember we had that download manager way back when, heh.

legionaire45
March 27th, 2009, 12:13 AM
At some point I missed the part about Ghost checking over files that are uploaded; This sounds like a decent solution for the moment, but if the volume of stuff submitted ever gets very large then it might become impractical for one person to check off individual files.

TheGhost
March 27th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Yes, this is not meant to be a major uploading/downloading solution. This is just sort of an announcement that this option is there in case someone needed to use it for something.

ThePlague
March 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Small bump.

I tried to connect to it using gFTP (FTP client for Linux) and when I tried to type in my password, it said it was entered incorrectly. What am I doing wrong?

p0lar_bear
March 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
There is no password. Log in anonymously.

ThePlague
March 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Alright, cool.

SnaFuBAR
March 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM
model releases once i can be bothered.

ThePlague
March 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I know this may be dumb, but how to you make a folder for it?

TheGhost
March 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I must not be making this clear: Everything uploaded goes into the /incoming directory.

ThePlague
March 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I must not be making this clear: Everything uploaded goes into the /incoming directory.
Was that to me? Because if so, I know it does.

legionaire45
March 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Uploaded some of my older model stuff.

Cortexian
March 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I know this may be dumb, but how to you make a folder for it?
Put everything you want in a folder on your PC and upload the entire thing.