PDA

View Full Version : Compiling Error.

fudgy
April 5th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Well I finished modeling my map. I exported using the .ass script for Max 09. I then saved as Mapname.ass on my desktop, when I ran H2 Map Editor and then browsed for my .ass file on my desktop, and selected comiple and light it and then click "COMPILE" it makes the light map but no were to be find is the .scenario file, where is it? I have searched and read and viewed tutorials but no luck for me yet. It also says when compiling sometimes, please place in a folder labled "structure" so I thought "Oh it wants me to make a new folder to place the created contents in" so i made a new folder and yet the same outcome, any help?

Thanks Fudgy

p0lar_bear
April 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Have you checked your My Documents folder? I haven't used the H2ME in a while, but I'm pretty sure it spits out files in a folder called Halo 2 in your My Documents.

fudgy
April 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yes, I just checked and the files where not there, any other ideas?

Vicky
April 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Save the .ass in:

Halo 2 Map Editor\data\scenarios\multi\YourMapName\structure

And dont use spaces in your mapname but use underscores (_) instead. The compiled output should then be in:

Halo 2 Map Editor\tags\scenarios\multi\YourMapName

fudgy
April 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
ok well i did that, and no outcome. i didnt even get a light map, or anything, but instead of it saying a error message as last time it said a different one, so now what.

Vicky
April 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Do a compile only 1st, then light it. Your map has a levelroot with the map linked to it? Has materials? If you get errors it helps if you post the exact errors or search for those errors.

fudgy
April 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM
well here is the image of the error that opened up while compiling only.
http://i42.tinypic.com/24v8n6v.jpg

Vicky
April 6th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Check this:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4676&highlight=parse+definition&page=2

In your case check the 1st object in the .ass file.

And, is this the 1st map you made for H2V?

fudgy
April 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
yes this is my first map I made for h2v, so i have really no clue what to do :| and by that I mean that i have no clue what to do to the first object in the .ass file

Vicky
April 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Well lets assume it's Box01 for example, unlink or hide it in 3ds then re-export and try again. But maybe, because its a 1st map, try something simple, dont make it a habit but maybe try a box-level 1st. 5 sides sky, 1 side ground and go from there, see if that compiles.

fudgy
April 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM
ok well i just made a box, then converted to editble poly, did the flip process for see threw and then I saved and then exported. and yet no luck, and now i have a bigger problem, the .ass files are weird and not showing up in sometimes in folders so i have to research and search. This is getting me quite angry :| and now i think i have usless files on my computer any help still hopefully

Vicky
April 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Not worth getting mad about... Do you link your level to b_levelroot? Do you use materials? And i think making them editable meshes before exporting works better, maybe that's causing your problem to start with.

fudgy
April 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM
O.K well I have to go to school, but once I get back ill try those things you mentioned or any other way that could be it.

fudgy
April 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
well i converted it to a editable mesh, then saved it, then exported it using the .ass script for max 09, then compiled it and no error came up, it just opened the window then said press any button to continue while COMPILING only, then i tried compiling & adding light so i checked compile and light, then clicked compile, and then the window opened and closed not asking to continue, couldn't even read what was in it and yet still no outcome. what am i doing wrong still?

anyways while exporting i always get this stupid pop up error from max here is a screen shot.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2e0kaax.jpg

Vicky
April 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
You may wanna check debug.html in the editors map. How about the linking and materials?

fudgy
April 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
uh ok ill try that, and what about linking and materials? i do not know what you mean by that.. and how to do it mabye

p0lar_bear
April 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Are you following the tutorial (in the help file, in the "Multiplayer Level Design" category) down to the letter? It explains how to link objects to each other, and how to set up materials.

fudgy
April 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
well actually i have downloaded a beginners guide for making a basic halo 2 vista map, but if there is a different one that you would recommend for smaller maps, because I need help something has to be wrong with my map itself or something.

p0lar_bear
April 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
well actually i have downloaded a beginners guide for making a basic halo 2 vista map, but if there is a different one that you would recommend for smaller maps, because I need help something has to be wrong with my map itself or something.

Try the official help file that came packaged with the H2ME? halo_2_map_editor.chm, located in the same folder as the H2ME programs?

Vicky
April 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Or a nice video-tutorial...

fudgy
April 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
well would that have a tutorial on how to create custom maps in 3ds max?

Vicky
April 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
There are video-tutorials like that yeah. Try a search for it.

fudgy
April 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
well im thinking that im doing everything right, but its just this one error thats happening.

johnnyblaz20
April 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Yes i suggest getting a good video tutorial also. If its just a box with 1 material and the b_levelroot it should compile. Thats a real early error also.

Check these 2 things.
1, Is your b_levelroot attached correctly?
2. Are your shader(s) correctly used?

Oh with that exporter your map needs to be editable mesh. Make sure that is the case also.

fudgy
April 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM
well i have no clue what a b_levelroot is and havnt used materials.

Vicky
April 25th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Have a look here, personally i liked the one from cheesexxn1ps.

http://h2v.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=6&sid=23