PDA

View Full Version : Best way to UV repeated geometry?

jngrow
April 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
For example, I have a nice little wall panel. I UV it, it has several different textures. I copy the wall panel a few times, looks good. Continuing to work on my map, I much later notice that a certain part of the wall panel's UV is off. I wanna change it, but don't want to for every panel. Is there a way to edit the UV of one thing and apply it to several? Sorry for such a newbie question.

E: also sorry if this goes in CE or Tech Talk.

Con
April 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I think if you just select all of the affected faces, then go into the UV editor you can fix them all at once, since they all have the same UV coordinates.

MetKiller Joe
April 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM
^this. If you UV one and instance it, you can edit the original and have the changes apply to all instances or you can edit a particular instance's UVs/geometry.

Con
April 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
^this. If you UV one and instance it, you can edit the original and have the changes apply to all instances or you can edit a particular instance's UVs/geometry.
I don't think he means they're instances (as I know them from Maya), but that he combined them all into one object and has since modeled the map including this geometry. In this case, again from what I know in Maya, changing one of the original instances would have no effect on the others. He has to select ALL of the faces he needs to change, but he only has to edit the UV's once since the coordinates for all the faces (they are the same) will show up at the same time in the UV editor.

jngrow
April 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it's what Conscars is saying. The thing is, I can't individually UV all those faces. I have to uniformly, for example, UV them all as one plane. This is troublesome when trying to line up patterns etc., and well it generally doesn't work if I want the pattern to the same on each face/UV/what have you.

Con
April 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Are you saying that you're selecting them all then applying a plane projection on all of them together?

What I meant is select them all then unwrap and edit:
http://www.rockonflash.com/blog/wp-content/images/pv3d/xwingdemo/3DS_editUV.png

Corndogman
April 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Select one of the parts of the UV, and fix it as necessary. Go to Edit and hit Copy. Then select all of the faces on one of the other parts, and hit paste. It will make the UV exactly like the first one. Do the same for ever piece of repeated geometry.

jngrow
April 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yessssssssssssss.

Thanks. Works great.

Rentafence
April 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Select one of the parts of the UV, and fix it as necessary. Go to Edit and hit Copy. Then select all of the faces on one of the other parts, and hit paste. It will make the UV exactly like the first one. Do the same for ever piece of repeated geometry.

Oh fuck are you serious? I was my time target welding the other UV's onto the same fucking spot I made the first one.

Mass
April 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
You can copy any modifier effect and paste it onto any other selection.

Sometimes you have to move the gizmo for the UV's a bit, but the size will be dead on.