PDA

View Full Version : Password Authentication feature?

ExAm
March 31st, 2007, 03:13 AM
Is there a way to activate some sort of password authentication feature, so I can install programs on my brother's account, so he can use them, without me making him an admin? If I install on my account, it gives him an access error. If Windows doesn't have that feature, I don't know what to think. I want to have at least some measure of control over what he does on my computer.

rossmum
March 31st, 2007, 07:00 AM
Just give him a new non-admin user account. That way, he can't install shit, you have to do it for him. He also won't be able to access your files, I don't think... though I'm the only one who actually ever uses my PC so I'm really not sure.

I_Am_Error117
March 31st, 2007, 09:45 AM
Just give him a new non-admin user account. That way, he can't install shit, you have to do it for him. He also won't be able to access your files, I don't think... though I'm the only one who actually ever uses my PC so I'm really not sure.
yep.

jcap
March 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Assuming you're running Windows XP (since Vista does this automatically), shift+right click on the application you wish to install and click "Run as...". You can enter the administrator account's username and password from there.

A second option is to limit his rights through gpedit.msc, the Group Policy Editor. You can regulate almost any task a user can perform on a computer through there.

CtrlAltDestroy
March 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Jcap seems to have the best solution here. Listen to him. :)

ExAm
March 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM
Nice. Thanks. Now to persuade him to give up his admin privileges.

Teroh
April 1st, 2007, 02:26 PM
Legion, keep the spam in the april fools threads.