PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Vista yet?

Zeph
April 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Simple Poll. There have been a few of them over the life of these boards soo far, but none recently.

I myself have a copy of Home Premium on my notebook and a copy of Vista Business on it's way from an XP Pro cupon for later on when I have no need for XP or I get get a pimped out 4x4 system.

InnerGoat
April 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I've had Vista Business for a while now. I rarely use it because I don't need to except for afew certain things...

Amit
April 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I installed the OEM Full Version of Ultimate on my PC. It was only around $249 Canadian and I love all the features that are for Gaming that the other versions don't.

BobtheGreatII
April 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I hope to get it soon. One reason only. H2 Vista

Among other things, I'm not that stupid. But I'm stupid, don't get me wrong.

Limited
April 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I would love to. I need/ want to upgrade pc first. And cash isnt flowing in my hands at the moment :(

Mr Buckshot
April 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Windows Vista Home Premium is on my second HDD, but most of the time I still use XP because at this stage, Vista is not without problems, just like any new OS. Especially for games.

Teroh
April 5th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I plan on a new comp Mid-may, when stores have copies of Halo 2 Vista.

Dragonpurr
April 5th, 2007, 02:58 AM
no but i can get premiuem ( i cant spell!!!) for 120$ at the store so im gonna upgrade soon :D

Spnkr
April 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM
I'm gonna get it for H2V alone. Sad, I know :( .

someone
April 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I have a dual boot with XP and Vista Ultimate:D

Sunray
April 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM
^ Yes!!!!!eleven1 that is what I will be doing, but possibly with PC linux OS as well.

Dragonpurr
April 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'm gonna get it for H2V alone. Sad, I know :( .

LOLZ ME 2 no im really thats the only reason im getting it to :P

TheGhost
April 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm running Vista Ultimate and that's it. All but 1 of the 12+ computers in this hours are running some version of Vista (mostly Home Premium).

Timo
April 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I can't afford Vista. :-( I need to get another job.

Hotrod
April 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I'm running Vista Ultimate and that's it. All but 1 of the 12+ computers in this hours are running some version of Vista (mostly Home Premium).

Well, your lucky. None of our PCs have Vista on them...

Reaper Man
April 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'm waiting until the 64-bit version of Vista has become more stable and has less compatibility issues, as I see no reason to upgrade to a "next-gen" OS that is 32-bit. 32-bit and so-called next-gen? Nothx. Mac OS Leopard for me, as soon as I get myself a macbook.

Con
April 6th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I've still got the old stinky RC2 beta. My dad got Vista Home Premium with his laptop that he bought recently, but he had to send away for it. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm hoping it does within the next two weeks. He doesn't want to use Vista on his laptop, so he may just end up giving it to me.

Kalub
April 6th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I have Home Premium, that I obtained today from a friend. (Tech Teacher)

klange
April 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Have it.
Hate it.
Removed all security features.
Am perfectly content with it.
Can't wait for May 8th!

Kornman00
April 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Removed all security features.

And people complain when their computer gets hacked\virii'd\trojan'd\fucked up\buttfucked\user error'd\AdmiralBacon'd\etc

TheGhost
April 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I turned off UAC - I'm sure it's a nice feature for most users but I just couldn't stand it.

jcap
April 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
And people complain when their computer gets hacked\virii'd\trojan'd\fucked up\buttfucked\user error'd\AdmiralBacon'd\etc
...and then they demand better security.

Don't you love hypocrisy?

klange
April 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
...and then they demand better security.

Don't you love hypocrisy?
Keyword: Security
All Vista gave us was some new Insecurity Features.
When Windows won't let you run Messenger, you know it's paranoid.
When I have to press "Allow" on a popup just so I can open my Control Panel, I get a little pissed off. And besides, it's not like I disabled the firewall...

Cortexian
April 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I installed the OEM Full Version of Ultimate on my PC. It was only around $249 Canadian and I love all the features that are for Gaming that the other versions don't.
Ditto.

Keyword: Security
All Vista gave us was some new Insecurity Features.
When Windows won't let you run Messenger, you know it's paranoid.
When I have to press "Allow" on a popup just so I can open my Control Panel, I get a little pissed off. And besides, it's not like I disabled the firewall...
Disable the UAC crap in the Control Panel and you won't have a problem if your computer savy.

dg
April 8th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I am not getting Vista until I can get the academic version. Right now I can go down Boys Town (I volunteer there A LOT) and get a copy of XP for $10. Office? Only $10 more.

Until they see fit to upgrade, I'm not. :-)

~dg945~

Atty
April 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I don't know but I will soon. I hope to pick it up within the next few weeks, sometime before H2v's launch.

Ghost Rider Vista
April 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
i got vista within the first 3 weeks of coming out and i haven't have ANY problems with it

Knight
April 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I got Vista Home Premium for 10 dollars from Dell :eyesroll:

Plus if you dont like the UAC crap, turn it off

klange
April 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/gruntmaps/protecting_you_from_yourself.png
:eyesroll:

Eco_Êâĝłê™
April 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Where the **** Can you get Vista trial. I looked on microsoft.com. and how do you remove it from your comp if its on your drive. I am trying to see how.

I_Am_Error117
April 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Where the **** Can you get Vista trial. I looked on microsoft.com. and how do you remove it from your comp if its on your drive. I am trying to see how.

Say wha?

YOu mean the RCs, they are gone. And they expire eventualy, just go bu the OS

Terror(NO)More
April 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Well im waiting for a version of vista that has error fixes with running some programs and games one pragram spacifically. 3DS Max 9

klange
April 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Well im waiting for a version of vista that has error fixes with running some programs and games one pragram spacifically. 3DS Max 9
Max 9 works fine, unless you're using the Aero view when running Max with DirectX, but who in all seriousness would use the Aero view when running a program like 3ds Max?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/gruntmaps/th_max9vista.jpg (http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/gruntmaps/max9vista.jpg)

P-Thunder.
April 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Iam a level designer for the Source engine, and hammer, the tool used to create levels, is absolutly fine under vista.

But becuase vista is more demanding, my compile times have increased slightly.

StankBacon
April 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM
lol i love uninformed nublets...

rah ill wait for sp1 man too many bugzzzzzzzz!

i have vista, i love it.

TheGhost
April 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah, the "I'll wait for SP1" mentality is really bad. I've switched over entirely to Vista. It was a little rocky at first but now I'd never go back to using XP.

Knight
April 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the "I'll wait for SP1" mentality is really bad. I've switched over entirely to Vista. It was a little rocky at first but now I'd never go back to using XP.
Amen :)

mined
April 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I got Vista Premium through work about a month and a half ago...luv-n-it.

Has anyone used the 64-bit version? I am considering buying it and doing a clean install on my machine. Just wondering how it works and how well the driver support is.

P-Thunder.
April 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I installed it, but it did not support my wireless card and i could not find drivers for it. So i had to switch back. Its not backwards compatible IIRC. Once drivers there is a little more support i will switch.

As for 32bit, iam loving it. As for all the "z0mg, it leik has 2 manny bugz" they obviously have not tried it. I had some issues with firefox, but thats working fine now.

Atty
April 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I'll be installing my copy tomorrow. :)

I'll be dual booting XP - Vista for a while, then once the driver support comes in (hey, creative, l2driver plz) I'll be Vista only. :)

Ki11a_FTW
April 25th, 2007, 02:44 PM
i installed a month ago

PsychoRaven
April 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I used the RC builds and moved up to Home Premium. Haven't regretted it other then the Nvidia driver problems since.

bl0ckhed
April 30th, 2007, 09:22 PM
yep, i just put vista on yesterday and so far, so good. i'm quite impressed. cs source seems to run just as well as it did with xp. i found that it look a long time to connect to a server, but there were a lot of files that came with connecting... could have just been that.

i'm definitely going to be doing a RAM upgrade in the near future since only have 1gig at the moment.

the reason for the vista switch was definitely halo 2!!! sooo excited

Amit
May 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Who on this forum didn't switch for Halo 2?

Syuusuke
May 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Some people, such as Limited, rossmum,

demonmaster3k
May 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
i didn't switch for halo 2 (loved the new GUI running ultimate, was a tester from the start of the public beta that is), but i have a problem to adress
when i use HEK, my compilied files do not show up unless i use winrar, then the maps i made are all classic when i had custom in them, any suggestions?

Zeph
May 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM
I switched because I like Vista as an operating system better than XP. I've yet to cause Vista (post RC1. ^_^, they fixed my problem in RC2) to crash by my own action, and that's saying something. I've used Vista back when it was known as Longhorn on an off, and it's really come a long way. I was origionally planning on getting Vista in late summer, but with H2V and my need of a notebook for school, I went ahead and got it. I dont regret it at all. In fact, going back to my XP rig is painful.

bl0ckhed
May 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
i am experiencing one problem since installing vista, curious if anyone else has run into the same thing... when watching videos in windows media player or media player classic, the video 'jitters' periodically throughout the movie. i have tried using VLC but it doesn't seem to want to play the video track for the movie.

at first i thought this might be a problem with an individual file, but it seems to happen with anything i watch.

Amit
May 1st, 2007, 09:53 PM
I switched because I like Vista as an operating system better than XP. I've yet to cause Vista (post RC1. ^_^, they fixed my problem in RC2) to crash by my own action, and that's saying something. I've used Vista back when it was known as Longhorn on an off, and it's really come a long way. I was origionally planning on getting Vista in late summer, but with H2V and my need of a notebook for school, I went ahead and got it. I dont regret it at all. In fact, going back to my XP rig is painful.

My reasons are the same, but I did buy Vista to play Halo 2, otherwise i would have gotten it much later around summer. I dual boot XP and Vista on 2 HDDs, i rarely ever go back to XP for anything, its slow clumsy and insecure. Vista is nice, fast, streamlined, and best of all! STABLE! It doesn't crash like Xp does when it doesn't know what to do. In fact it never puts you in a situation like that.

mined
May 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM
i am experiencing one problem since installing vista, curious if anyone else has run into the same thing... when watching videos in windows media player or media player classic, the video 'jitters' periodically throughout the movie. i have tried using VLC but it doesn't seem to want to play the video track for the movie.

at first i thought this might be a problem with an individual file, but it seems to happen with anything i watch.

I don't know if it will make a difference with the media player, but if you go into the media center>settings>video setup(something like that), the OS will configure your playback settings according to your computer capabilities and update all needed codecs.

Reaper Man
May 1st, 2007, 10:55 PM
Lol, I'm waiting for OS Leopard.

Mr Buckshot
May 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
LOL. Switching OS's just for Halo 2 is pretty sad, especially if the PC needs hardware upgrades in the process. At that price, you might as well buy a used Xbox off ebay and H2x.

I bought Vista Home Premium so I could use that $49 upgrade coupon before it expired, and also to gain a true experience of the new features. I use a dual boot setup with my two hard drives, so I do switch back to XP sometimes, but overall, Vista continues to serve me well. I can bear with any technical issues it has now. After all, wasn't Windows XP bloody problematic in 2001?

All I need now is to get a copy for my laptop too...

legionaire45
May 2nd, 2007, 01:50 AM
read. (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=63732)

demonmaster3k
May 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
longhorn still exists, it's the server edition of vista... it comes out later this year with vista SP1

microsoft is still an evil empire.... pc owners, your ass belongs to redmond

AngelODeath
May 7th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I just bought a new computer the other day with Vista Home Premium on it (only reason I got a new computer was because my 6 year old Compaq was slowly dying).

I'm looking forward to Halo 2 Vista, but that wasn't the reason why I got the new computer.

Digikid
May 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I got THREE Versions.

1.) Free Upgrade Home Premium Version from Moduslink
2.) A Upgrade Retail Version that I bought of Ultimate
3.) A FULL RETAIL version of Ultimate that a uncle just GAVE me directly from Microsoft ( he works there...and he gave me a retail version of Office 2007 Ultimate as well )

I think that I am prepared. :D

DTS 7.1
May 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I have Vista Ultimate installed on the home box and my laptop. I must say...I had to put in an extra gig an memory and update my MB...but I LIKES IT.

Linch
May 11th, 2007, 12:56 AM

For the VLC player go to Settings->Preferences->Video->Output modules. Then in the Right Bottom of the window check Advanced options
and in the Video output module, that will appear select OpenGL video output
And There u go :) u have picture.. no need of codecs and stuff

DTS 7.1
May 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
All you guys having the Knee-jerk reaction of disabling UAC might want to actually read up on exactly what UAC does. And what effect disabling it has as well.

Without UAC enabled the whole "virtualzation" aspect of Vista goes away. Most notably, IE will not run in protected "sandbox" mode. When I read up on it, I went back and turned it back on.

As for all of you that go to the pain in the ass process of dual booting, if you didn't know, Virtual PC (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en) is now completely free.

Snaver
May 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Vmware ftw >_>

Abdurahman
May 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
MAN im usin Vista and ita been smooooth sailing!

xExus
May 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Sadly I have to say no.I don't have vista.. YET!
I will be geting it within two weeks :)

demonmaster3k
May 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
actually, with the latest security fixes, vista has stabilized, if something doesn't run right, you can go into your properties of that executable select the compatibility tab and run it in xp SP2 using vista.

(hated UAC too, didn't turn it off, but it's not on either... disabled administrative prompts, still got security, no more headaches)

it's a nice os but it has the tendancy to consume your hard drive

Digikid
May 12th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Vmware ftw >_>

Ditto that.:)

{XF}Lowsy
May 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Vista Home Premium is ready to go on my duel-boot system.

Now bring on the H2Vista!!!

Phopojijo
May 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Vista Home Premium is ready to go on my duel-boot system.

Now bring on the H2Vista!!!Left shoe, keep it clean; right shoe, keep it clean.

En Garde! :)

{XF}Lowsy
May 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I wish I knew what you meant..

engrish much?

MissnL1nK
May 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Vista is perfectly fan. Its the people that flame Microsoft for being Microsoft is where the problem lies.

I have had Vista Home Premium for awhile now and it runs absolutely perfect with flaws at all. You can disable all the "asking permissions" if you don't like them.

Get over it and try it out for yourself before you start flaming it. Its actually a really good OS.

devito
May 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I don't know which idiot made H2 for Vista Only but I'm going to his house and I'm going to rape is mom, which he still probably lives with:mad:. Its just stupid to make H2 for Vista only. Cheap-ass way to force people to to buy Vista. Im sorry about the "swearing" but im so F@&%ing PISSED.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::beating :

{XF}Lowsy
May 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM
feel free to keep those kind of comments to yourself. wow.

flibitijibibo
May 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I have had Vista Home Premium for awhile now and it runs absolutely perfect with no flaws at all.Yeah, it's actually pretty sweet. In fact, my XPS has been more stable on Vista than it was on XP. Just need to get H2V and Shadowrun and everything will be perfect =D.

Abdurahman
May 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
It is actually an excellent os. All of my games run better then what they used to run in xp

Elite Killa
May 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I don't know which idiot made H2 for Vista Only but I'm going to his house and I'm going to rape is mom, which he still probably lives with:mad:. Its just stupid to make H2 for Vista only. Cheap-ass way to force people to to buy Vista. Im sorry about the "swearing" but im so F@&%ing PISSED.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::beating :
It's actually a good thing it's for Vista-only. The uber-l33t graphics will be shown better.

lay off the smilies, ok? -rep

mech
May 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Oh SNAP WINDOWS VISTA MAKES UR GRAFICS BETTERR OMG.

Rosco
May 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
It's actually a good thing it's for Vista-only. The uber-l33t graphics will be shown better.

lay off the smilies, ok? -rep

Last I heard the project leader was a girl, right?

MissnL1nK
May 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, project lead was a girl. She seemed to know her stuff though and she worked hand in hand with Bungie the whole time which is good to hear, something Gearbox DID NOT do.

Zeph
May 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Wow, I never thought it would happen, but are people blaming Hired Gun for preference problems? It's the blame-GBX syndrome all over again.

MissnL1nK
May 14th, 2007, 05:05 PM
They made it Vista only because of Windows Live, which is a Vista only and the only way XBox and PC players can communicate.

Syuusuke
May 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
And e-touch each other.

jakari
May 16th, 2007, 05:20 AM
im using Windows Vista ultimate :)

Aynal Secks
May 16th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Been using Ultimate for a week, going back to XP once i beat Halo2 :)

MissnL1nK
May 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Vista is so much better than XP. Why you would go back is beyond me.

HMReaper
May 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Been using Ultimate for a week, going back to XP once i beat Halo2 :) so basically you bought Vista just to get rid of it??....WHY??...Give vista a little more time....i hated it in the first week to. but i also hated XP in its first week. once you really start using it thats when it shows its muscles.

Xehsin
May 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I got XP and im sticking to it, until Vista comes out all clean in a few months or a year. So in other words... no Halo 2 Vista for me, im sticking to Halo 3. :p

Badie05
May 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
I got Vista Home Premium!!

1Birdman2010
May 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Quick question dose it matter what Vista thing it is on like would halo 2 still work on Home Basic or would it just work on business also? or would i have to go out and buy Ulimate version because i'm thinking on getting the Home Basci Version or the Business Version ~ Thank You :D

Razgriz
June 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I'm obsessed with halo, but i can only play pc. I got vista just for halo 2.

Dr Nick
June 17th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I don't see why everyone who doesn't have Vista hates it?
I mean, eventually it'll be a low grade OS and we'll have some new one like "Windows Crystal".

They're not gonna hate it then.

In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of people hated XP until the updates came out for it.

[BD] Spartan
June 21st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Yeh, Ima Install Vista Enterprise on mine

MALadjusted
July 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I gots teh home edition..gotter ducked taped in my shitbox comp.

Pr3dator
July 13th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate , and it's realy "cool" i can say.Everyone tells me that Vista isn't good, but i think that they aren't wright :D

http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3/asset_popup_viewer.aspx?at=59&cc=21&item=0

Bastinka
July 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I don't have Vista, but I do have XP :D

Revord
July 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Its going to be a while before I go for Vista. In fact, Ill probably use XP until they quit supporting it. Or Im forced kicking and screaming to migrate. Honestly, Im not afraid of the migration, Im just used to the way my computer functions atm, and nothing I have is requiring me to go to Vista yet.
Revord

P.S. I may migrate if someone were to send me a copy ;)

Wakeboy1337
July 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I got home basic for free 4 days after Release :D

Some nub didnt like it and gave it to me.

I love it. And Halo 2

Bullet
July 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I have vista ultimate 64 bit on a 150 Gig raptor drive, and I have xp pro on a 74 Gig raptor. When you install vista it allows you to put it on another hard drive or partition while keeping your old OS. When you start your computer it will ask which OS you want to use. It defaults to vista but that can be changed in vista's advanced settings. Vista beta sucked......it was a beta. Vista Release Candidate 1 and 2 were better but still sucked. So I was not prepared for the final release which is really....pretty damned nice. Yes, I know a lot of software is not supported in vista. Blame the developers for not having a patch ready, its not like they didnt know vista was coming out. Did you know vista on your home network will recognize and automatically sync with your xbox 360? Yep, so you can sit at the tv and pull up any media on your computer (music, video, pics ect) on the xbox 360 and play them on your tv using the windows media center...the 360 pulls that straight from your computer. 2 to 3 Gigs of ram is vistas sweet spot. Get a decent video card, bout 120-150 bucks and get a sata drive (you will not be satisfied with the speed of an ide drive). Pop in Vista ultimate (64 bit if possible) and get to kickin some ass! Dont trash Vista before looking more closely, because my first program was in 1978 and I used punch cards to put it in and when xp came out it was a DOG....much worse than vista is now. That damn OS wouldnt work with shit lol. Its great now so...give vista a chance.

Double Agent 2925

mewarmo990
August 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I do want H2Vista, but my computer is a little too old, and the piss-poor performance when I tried it with the XP workaround floating around on the net showed that.

I'm saving up for a new comp which I will buy at the end of the year, and someone in my family works for a big development company where he can get copies of Vista for free under the MSDN license, so I'll save myself a few hundred on Ultimate. Plus, hopefully some of the problems will be smoothed out by then.

Kiyoshi
August 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I have vista and its pretty good just its really tarded, although the visual effects are really nice. I have both xp and vista on comp for ultimate pwnage!

yXy BiScUt yXy
January 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
im running windows vista home:)

4RT1LL3RY
January 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I don't run Vista any more, I don't want it either. Its just, a piece of crap in my opinion. I barrowed a friends disc to try it out, never activated it. During the time I used it, it sucked Some programmers I work with got Vista and "upgraded" back to XP.

The only good things Vista has that XP doesn't is seperated video drivers from the OS. Its also alot more secure. I would rather use Windows 2003 Server, which is Vista's base code. Vista just isn't worth installing in my opinion though. It still has a 32-bit version, which is just kinda sad now. Sure they would be losing some consumers, but the people who have computers which would actually use 32-bit only, probably buy their computer from an OEM dealer. So by not making 64-bit standard they are losing less customers today, but will lose more when 64-bit is the standard. I want programs to take advantage of Core 2 Duo and Athlon 64's 64-bit architecture.

But thats just my opinion.