PDA

View Full Version : Quickly Creating Forerunner Structures

SnaFuBAR
July 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
I get asked a lot how to make those forerunner uprights like you see on the delta temples, beam towers, and other such stuff. There's a really simple approach to this, so here it is documented for you guys :party:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7709/forerunnerdemo.jpg

ThePlague
July 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Did it have to be one big picture? My internet is having a heart attack loading that thing. Split it up into pieces please :)

DaaxGhost
July 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for teh share. ;)

DEElekgolo
July 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Can't you just use chamfer on the bridged edges to create those details instead of quickslice?

SnaFuBAR
July 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Can't you just use chamfer on the bridged edges to create those details instead of quickslice?

You could do that, but chances are that

a) it would become a non-planar face
b) you won't get the angle you want

PopeAK49
July 3rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Wish I made my forerunner tutorial easy as this to follow.

Cagerrin
July 4th, 2009, 03:36 AM
One odd thing I've noticed is that a good number of towers in H2 use 26.6º angles rather than 30º. Dunno why, but it looks better than 30º angles in a number of places.

SnaFuBAR
July 4th, 2009, 04:04 AM
One odd thing I've noticed is that a good number of towers in H2 use 26.6º angles rather than 30º. Dunno why, but it looks better than 30º angles in a number of places.

You're correct. Also, in the demo, the taper from top to bottom is 5º, where on the delta halo temples it's something around 2º.

The point is that it's subtle, but it is there.:cool:

Sel
July 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
You could do that, but chances are that

a) it would become a non-planar face
b) you won't get the angle you want

If you're dumb, then yes those will happen all the time, otherwise there's a few occasions where you need to fix verticies. Otherwise chamfer tends to make a really nice forerunner look on edges, and works fine for the most part.

Did it have to be one big picture? My internet is having a heart attack loading that thing. Split it up into pieces please :)

It's less than a megabyte, not really an issue :|

UnevenElefant5
September 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Ah, this is an excellent tutorial. And just in time for my delta halo themed map :)

SnaFuBAR
September 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
glad you like it.