PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] Heretic, Citadel, and Longshore

Delta4907
July 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3ODST/imagery/screenshots/WHMBEC/highres/H3ODST_Heretic_env-01.jpg

Heretic returns players to familiar ground as the Halo 2 arena “Midship” makes its long-rumored debut in Halo 3. The stark interior of the Pious Inquisitor might appear austere on first glance, but Heretic’s symmetrical spaces require players to execute complex strategies in order to outplay their opponents.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3ODST/imagery/screenshots/WHMBEC/highres/H3ODST_Citadel_env-01.jpg

Citadel may be a long abandoned Forerunner stronghold, but its small, symmetrical confines are far from secure. Two opposing bases offer little safety for players looking for solace. Instead, Citadel forces small squads to stay in constant communication, keep their heads on a swivel, and be prepared to adjust combat tactics in close quarters.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3ODST/imagery/screenshots/WHMBEC/highres/H3ODST_Longshore_env-01.jpg

Longshore lacks the commercial ships that once made it a lucrative port for Old Mombasa, but it still bustles with activity. Designed for large scale combat and well suited for smaller affairs, Longshore’s multitude of industrial buildings, elevated walks, and open inlets conspire to create a complex battleground tailored for multiple combat scenarios.I for one would like to see more screenshots of Longshore, looks pretty fun, especially for forge. Citadel seems boring, but thats just me. I'll wait for more screenshots.

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Nice

Terry
July 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Midship literally looks the same. So I guess it was a perfect port.

Citadel is basically the covenant. Can't say much but it doesn't sound like the greatest idea gameplay-wise. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Longshore vaguely reminds me of No Remorse. I generally don't like the industrial maps though.

BobtheGreatII
July 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Lol, I wonder where they decided to hide the skull in Midship Heretic.

Arteen
July 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I was hoping Longshore would look more like The Storm. It's unappealingly rusty. I'm not a fan of Midship, so Heretic is disappointing. As for Citadel, it looks like they took a picture of the most boring part of the map. Hopefully both Citadel and Longshore will have fun layouts.

DEElekgolo
July 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Played on heretic a while back. When you look up you see a covanent fleet slowly advancing. The lighting on that map is wounderful. And the floating platform isn't forge-able. :<
But you can use an object and push it out of the way. But since the area around it is small. It will soon go back to normal.

sdavis117
July 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I like the look of Longshore.

Inferno
July 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I actually think that citadel looks promising. I like construct (with the sword flamer and missile pod removed) and citadel has a similar setting.

paladin
July 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Old, oh wait...we dont have the same friends >.>

Hotrod
July 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Well, it seems like that guy from MLG that talked about this stuff way back last year was right about it all. Who would have guessed? :P I must admit that I am disappointed in Longshore, since I was expecting something more along the lines of Death Island or Relic. I guess we'll just have to wait, and see how it plays.

leorimolo
July 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Old, oh wait...we dont have the same friends >.>
lol I saw heretic like 9 months ago.

Saggy
July 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
tbh, I was hoping Longshore was going to be a remake of Headlong. None of these maps really tickle my fancy though... Never really liked Midship, Citadel sounds, and looks boring (a little hard to judge based on that one picture) and Longshore looks, idk.

Also, doesn't that picture of Citadel vaguely resemble the inside of the Battle Creek base?

paladin
July 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
lol I saw heretic like 9 months ago.

Everyone did. I saw them all, and other shots of them. last November

Hotrod
July 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
tbh, I was hoping Longshore was going to be a remake of Headlong. None of these maps really tickle my fancy though... Never really liked Midship, Citadel sounds, and looks boring (a little hard to judge based on that one picture) and Longshore looks, idk.

Also, doesn't that picture of Citadel vaguely resemble the inside of the Battle Creek base?
Yeah it does, doesn't it? And I agree, when I first heard about Longshore, I was really excited about a Headlong remake. I guess Bungie didn't want to remake such an awesome map though :/

Heathen
July 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Midship literally looks the same. So I guess it was a perfect port.

Citadel is basically the covenant. Can't say much but it doesn't sound like the greatest idea gameplay-wise. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Longshore vaguely reminds me of No Remorse. I generally don't like the industrial maps though.
Like inferno said, think construct. Not just aesthetically but also in gameplay. Its going to be a very communication heavy map.

Longshore looks fun, Idk what you guys are talking about.

And Midship is midship.

Kornman00
July 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
"Heretic" is a waste of a DLC map addition IMHO

Heathen
July 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I think its a good map.
And it seems fun.
Iirc I liked midship.

Warsaw
July 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
That map was crazy fun, especially with all the sticky kills. I think it was the only map I honestly enjoyed playing in Halo 2, tbqh.

ODX
July 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Citadel makes me think of Longest, which was kind of a good map. Personally, I want a Boarding Action remake though, good times on that map.

klange
July 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Citadel makes me think of Longest, which was kind of a good map. Personally, I want a Boarding Action remake though, good times on that map.
Then go make one on Sand Box.

I can't wait to play some good old-fashion Mosh Pit* on Heretic.

* Proper Mosh Pit is played with two random weapons, static hill, and the general rule of no attacking anyone outside of the hill and no camping outside of the hill: the hill must be rushed at all times. The best map for the job was always Midship...

Agnaiel
July 7th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Is it just me, or did Citadel look sort of like the bases in Battle Creek/Beaver Creek? Maybe a bit bigger, but otherwise the same.

Saggy
July 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Is it just me, or did Citadel look sort of like the bases in Battle Creek/Beaver Creek? Maybe a bit bigger, but otherwise the same.

No, your not.

Pooky
July 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Midship sucked, and Bungie wasted a perfectly good opportunity with the name 'Heretic' to expand on the gas mine/heretic elite aesthetics. Citadel, as previously stated, looks boring.

Longshore looks like the only remotely interesting map in the set. :|

Warsaw
July 8th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I've got it guys: we need a Chiron remake.

Ki11a_FTW
July 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
needs more danger canyon tbh

Warsaw
July 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
That map barely works with 16 players. CTF games always end in stalemates. =|

Horns
July 8th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I actually love midship on halo 2. I get a suprising ammount of stickies on that map.

_Magnum_Opus_
July 8th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Heretic looks very nice. Not too crazy about Citadel though.
Longshore looks very fun, kinda reminds me of the outside of Foundry.

Advancebo
July 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Citadel better a large map with an assortment of twists and turns and different pathways.

CSFLOYD
July 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Heretic is the only one I will play and have fun on the otherones dont look fun in any way to me /opinion now we just need a foundation remake so we can bring back halo 2 zombies into halo 3.

sevlag
July 8th, 2009, 11:58 AM
longshore reminds me of no_remorse

Alwin Roth
July 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Longshore will have some pretty good infection maps, especially with the fog.

Still waiting for Blood Gulch, maybe Bungie will surprise us like they did with Chill Out.

Arteen
July 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
The last thing Halo 3 needs is Blood Gulch.

Heathen
July 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Alwin Roth, you think that Bungie has let our old faithful bloodgulch die out?
You think they would let such a map die in its retroglory?
The truth is, bloodgulch has been by our side all along.
Valiantly waiting for the fans approval.
Look at Stand off, the map's layout is clearly bloodgulchian.
Or if that doesn't quench your gulchy thirst, go as far back as Valhalla.

You see, bloodgulch has been here all along. Its in our hearts.

incidentally, this also means if they did make a remake, it would be yet another base to base canyon level and fuck we already have two of those

Hotrod
July 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I believe that was the point of both Valhalla and Standoff, to look like Blood Gulch, and yet, be very different.

Heathen
July 9th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Duh.
Valhalla is more faithful gameplay wise, but asthetically standoff gets it.

Advancebo
July 10th, 2009, 01:07 AM
If only Standoff/Valhalla had the 3 power weapons.

Rocket Launcher
Flamethrower
Fuel Rod Gun

Warsaw
July 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Flamethrower wasn't so much a power weapon as it was a nuissance. You can't kill anyone who knows what he's doing by using the Flamethrower on Bloodgulch, unless you get lucky.

English Mobster
July 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
If you can get into the enemy base, the flamer is god-fucking-annoying. People catch on fire and FREAK OUT. It's rather fun.

Warsaw
July 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Meh, I'm the asshole who gets on top the base and spawnkills everyone with an AR and then drops grenades down the hole....:-3

sdavis117
July 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Meh, I'm the asshole who gets on top the base and spawnkills everyone with an AR and then drops grenades down the hole....:-3

I did that once and no one could stop me. Fun times. I wish I could do that in Halo 3, but with the new melee reliant combat system (for close ranges), I would only last two or three kills spawn camping.

p0lar_bear
July 11th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Flamethrower wasn't so much a power weapon as it was a nuissance. You can't kill anyone who knows what he's doing by using the Flamethrower on Bloodgulch, unless you get lucky.

Lookit dis scrub, can't use the flamethrower. Heh.

Chaos Pyro reporting in.

Hudda hudda huh.

Pooky
July 12th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I did that once and no one could stop me. Fun times. I wish I could do that in Halo 3, but with the new melee reliant combat system (for close ranges), I would only last two or three kills spawn camping.

The spawn weapon can't do dual wielding, because then the game is all about dual wielding. It can't do headshots, because then the game is all about headshots. But it can have a ridiculously effective melee attack, because the game being all about melee is A-OK!

Well played, Bungie.

Masterz1337
July 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
It's melee dos the same damage as other weapons iirc. Except for spiker and brute shot.

Warsaw
July 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
And sword, and hammer, and flag, and skull.

:downs:

p0lar_bear
July 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
It's melee dos the same damage as other weapons iirc. Except for spiker and brute shot.

The point being that CQB is too prominent and often the best choice over other combat styles.

Why use any tactics or features like dual wielding, equipment, etc when you can just run up, punch someone in the gut, and watch them fold like a cheap suit?

Warsaw
July 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
If they remove the melee lunge, problem is solved. It used to take some amount of practise to be able to reliably melee someone, now it's all automatic.

Advancebo
July 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Yeah but then battle rifles just get annoying.

Heathen
July 14th, 2009, 02:08 AM
All weapons besides the spiker and brute shot (excluding objective items) do 70 pts of damage.
Spiker and Brute shot do 72.

Yeah but then battle rifles just get annoying.
And fyi, the BR IS the halo 1 pistol.
They both zoom the same and they both do the same amount of damage.
4 shot.
So if the pistol annoyed you then yeah so will the BR.

Pooky
July 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
All weapons besides the spiker and brute shot (excluding objective items) do 70 pts of damage.
Spiker and Brute shot do 72.

And fyi, the BR IS the halo 1 pistol.
They both zoom the same and they both do the same amount of damage.
4 shot.
So if the pistol annoyed you then yeah so will the BR.

Pistol killed in 3 head shots, plus the spread is so ridiculous in the Halo 3 BR that you'll be lucky to get a 4 shot kill on a stationary target.

Also, you guys all missed the point, p0lar got it.

Atty
July 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Pistol killed in 3 head shots, plus the spread is so ridiculous in the Halo 3 BR that you'll be lucky to get a 4 shot kill on a stationary target.Are you kidding? I just spent the entire night playing MLG/Team Slayer/Double Team with nearly all of our games being BR start (beyond the MLG ones) and every other kill was a perfect 4 shot. On and off host.

Pooky
July 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
MLG has increased damage settings to make 4 shot kills easier, scrub.

P.S. I was talking about long range with the BR, not tiny MLG forgemap size :|

Atty
July 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Oh, well sorry I can land a perfect 4 shot from Valhalla base to spartan laser spawn while the target is moving and I'm moving too. B)

Sorry you don't know how to aim.

Heathen
July 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
yeah wtf, 4 shots aren't hard.

And Srsly, pistol was 3 headshots?
I thought 4.

Inferno
July 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Xbox was 4. PC was 3.

Lateksi
July 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Xbox was 4. PC was 3.

No, it's the same 3sk pistol on the XBox too.

Heathen
July 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
well damn.
Thats an oversight.

Advancebo
July 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM
No, it's the same 3sk pistol on the XBox too.

Yeah, its just a bit harder to aim with the xbox controller.

Pooky
July 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Oh, well sorry I can land a perfect 4 shot from Valhalla base to spartan laser spawn while the target is moving and I'm moving too. B)

Sorry you don't know how to aim.
Yeah, sorry you're completely full of shit :(

gosh I'm such a nub

Warsaw
July 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Actually, the BR spread is indeed almost zilch, 'tis true. Protip: aim next to the head in the direction of target's motion. Also, you honestly only need one of the three rounds to hit for it to count as one full hit. =|

Heathen
July 17th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah, sorry you're completely full of shit :(

gosh I'm such a nub
uh.
you SHOULD be able to do base to sl.

p0lar_bear
July 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Also, you honestly only need one of the three rounds to hit for it to count as one full hit. =|

False. I've taken on fully shielded (not overshielded) targets and sometimes having to hit them 5 times before their shields popped since I'm such a piss-poor shot most of the time.

English Mobster
July 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah, you're thinking of SWAT. On the SWAT playlist, it's 1sk for the pistol or BR. It's fucking awesome.

armoman92
July 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM
why did they call it heretic, I'd just stick with midship. I'm gonna call it midship when i refer to it. Wtf does the word heratic have to do with the map; midship made sense, but heratic?

Advancebo
July 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
They cant call it Midship since its a remake and is somewhat different.

Sever
July 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Of course they could call it Midship. They did it with H1s Battle Beaver Creek and H2's Beaver Creek.

Boba
July 19th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I like how they didn't even change the ship name during the transition from Midship to Heretic.

God damnit.

Masterz1337
July 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Does it matter?

Ki11a_FTW
July 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM
yes

the heretic station would have been an awesome fit for it

BobtheGreatII
July 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
This is a stupid argument.

Saggy
August 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/852/852871/vids_1.html

Whole bunch of short clips showing off these maps.

Heathen
August 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM
cool cool.

Heathen
August 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I can already see so many tactical jumps.

Pooky
August 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Welp.

Citadel still looks boring, Midship looks as shit as ever. Longshore is the only remotely interesting map in the bunch. Not excited at all for these.

Futzy
August 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Welp.

Citadel still looks boring, Midship looks as shit as ever. Longshore is the only remotely interesting map in the bunch. Not excited at all for these.
Lucky for you, you don't pay extra for them.

Arteen
August 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm with Pooky. They aren't really exciting.

Heathen
August 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
you guys are weird.

I am liking the looks of citadel almost the most.

Siliconmaster
August 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I never played Midship since I never owned Halo 2. Therefore I have no idea how it will play, especially with the added equipment. Citadel looked boring in screenshots, but the gameplay looks fun. Small, but not just a single room. Longshore is also up in the air until I play it, but I'm not going to complain about new maps, especially since they come with ODST.

kid908
August 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Citadel: Looks like not alot of camping going around that map. Pretty small, but looks like a total conversion of the covenant sp map.

Heretic: Looks like a faithful update of midship. Only if they did this with bloodgulch:gonk: That aside, I'm looking forward this this map.

Longshore: Too big for my taste, but reminds me of tombstone with the multiple level of heights and high level bases.

BobtheGreatII
August 13th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Maps look stunning to me. I won't judge gameplay until I play it. But I'm more excited for ODST rather than getting shot in Halo 3 some more.

Terry
August 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Well, midship looks exactly the same so nothing to say there. Should be an ok map.

Citadel looks pretty boring. I don't see there being alot of though being put into it.

Longshore looks horrible to me, but thats just because I tend to hate these large human styled maps.

Advancebo
August 15th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Longshore looks horrible to me, but thats just because I tend to hate these large human styled maps.

Earth hater. Fight for her :cop:

TeeKup
August 19th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Fuck Earth. In the campaign you were on Earth for 6 missions, The Ark for one mission, High Charity for one mission, and Halo for one mission.

The game is called HALO 3, not EARTH 3. Christ.

p0lar_bear
August 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
You know, in this day and age, that could be considered terrorism.

TERRORIST

TeeKup
August 19th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I will not be silenced for recognizing why Halo 3 failed so hard.

paladin
August 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I played these today. Pretty cool.:realsmug:

Delta4907
August 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I saw a one of the gameplay videos for Citadel, it looks better than what I had originally thought, aesthetically I mean. (It's what I'm all about at this point). Either I'm seeing things, or it looked like Citadel is surrounded by a wasteland of sand, much like Epitaph.

=sw=warlord
August 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Why can't we get a map based on envrioments like sierra 117 or guardian tho'se areas look pretty good ingame and guardian was my fav FFA map.
Seriously we need more maps like guardian or valhalla.

sevlag
August 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
longshore-> reminded me of no remorse

heretic-> midship 2.0 (rocket gametypes galore there)

citadel-> might be good, and probably one of the most decent maps from the mythic map collection (sandbox doesnt count, it sucks with MM)

leorimolo
August 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Why can't we get a map based on envrioments like sierra 117 or guardian tho'se areas look pretty good ingame and guardian was my fav FFA map.
Seriously we need more maps like guardian or valhalla.
I swear if in halo 3 its ever possible to mod (and make SP to MP conversions) this would be def the first thing I would try, a forest multiplayer map would be sick

paladin
August 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Why can't we get a map based on envrioments like sierra 117.

Ghost Town is pretty close.

Futzy
August 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Ghost town is based on the Sierra 117 environment.

paladin
August 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Sorta

Saggy
August 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=CitadelInDepth

Last week we unleashed a media blitz focused on the exclusive Halo 3 multiplayer maps included with Halo 3: ODST. Today we’re lifting the lid on Citadel with a little guided tour with designer Lars Bakken, artist Blake Low, and art director Justin Hayward pointing out the areas of interest. If you already had a good, long look but still want to know more, you’ve come to the right place.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/inline/H3_Citadel01.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_Citadel01.jpg)

Under Glass
Q. What aspects of Citadel did you work on?

Lars Bakken - I was the Designer on Citadel.

Justin Hayward - I provided art direction when needed.

Blake Low - After many painstaking hours of architecting work being done over and over by the very talented (and slightly disturbed) Paul Russel, I took over ownership of the final game play space and worked alongside of Lars to bring it home!

The Citadel that exists now went through more iteration than most small maps ever should. Paul and Lars did the leg work to trim the fat. Then I jumped in and hit it with my spice weasel. Bam!

Q. The fictional setting is obviously Forerunner. Any other clues or hints as to its whereabouts or purpose?

LB. Justin or Blake can speak more to this, but it does happen in a Forerunner structure sitting high above a desert. It's very remote.

BL. I think this was a Forerunner day care. The Forerunner would bring their young here and drop them off while they went off to work to Forerunner it up. The little baby Forerunners would spend most of their infant life here in this facility playing in the sunlight or sleeping in the shade. And now it’s a battleground. War has made monsters of us all.

[Editor’s Note: Not sure that’s canon, Blake. –Urk]

JH. It is a small section of the Forerunner structure that players first saw in the Halo 3 multiplayer map Epitaph.

[Editor’s Note: Ah, that's the legit stuff. –Urk]

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/inline/H3_Citadel02.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_Citadel02.jpg)
Shield 'n' Shotty

Q. Word on the streets is that Citadel was once a radically different space. What changed from conception to completion and what remained the same?

LB. Originally, it was much closer to the campaign space it's based around. Well, sort of. It was a much bigger level, with two elevators (one for each team) and really was designed for 2-sided objective games. We basically scrapped most of that design and it became a much smaller symmetrical space. The only thing remaining is the setting.

BL. To be honest the Citadel that exists today is in almost no way the same space as it was once intended. The short version of the story is that the map was too large, complicated, confusing, and easy to get lost in. I think the only major element that still remains is the idea of having a large open center room with a platform to jump to and from. However, even the size and shape of that room changed. The new design works much better in focusing the combat and objectives.

JH. It started life big and sprawling, but we wanted small and tight. And so it came to be.

Q. What was the most difficult element for you to get just right?

BL. Player orientation on the map. Being a symmetrical map, it sometimes is really hard to tell what side of the map you have ended up on or how to relate to teammates where you are or where the action is. We decided to open up some windows, so to speak.

LB. Probably the sight lines. We wanted it to be a small space but feel like you could defend certain areas, and hide as someone who was trying to get away from combat.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/inline/H3_Citadel03.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_Citadel03.jpg)
Cornered

Q. What role is Citadel intended to play in the Halo 3 multiplayer space and what game types work the best?

LB. It's very much the small symmetrical map that fans have been asking for. It works very well for small Team Slayer, but it's really great for Multi Flag and Assault as well.

BL. This is meant to give people that hot, dirty, 4v4 action. Everything unfolds at a pretty fast pace and involves some quick thinking and an even quicker trigger finger. You are never far from the action.

Q. Being symmetrical and a bit on the small side, seems players could get turned around easily. What kind of steps do you take to make sure people stay oriented?

BL. Originally there was only a color change from one side of the map to the other, but we wanted something a lot more apparent and in your face. What better to be in your face than the blinding sunlight right? We populated one half of the map with large windows which allowed for some very nice warm light contrast. I think the result was pretty successful.

JH. It's subtle, but effective.

LB. The great thing about Citadel is that the outer loop will always take you to one of the two "bases." Basically, you can pick a direction and just go. You're guaranteed to run into a skirmish or find a good weapon. It doesn't take long at all to get oriented, because you can just pick a route and start running.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/inline/H3_Citadel04.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_Citadel04.jpg)
Feeling Blue

Q. What role does weapon layout, equipment, and power-ups play on Citadel?

LB. Like all symmetrical maps, weapon layout is the same on each side. There are a couple of Overshields that are usually grabbed in the first few seconds of play. The equipment comes back pretty quickly in the default setup, which makes for a lot of equipment usage. Some players will find this refreshing, while others may opt to take it out.

BL. The big weapon of the map is the Rocket Launcher that’s placed right out in the middle of the map. Everyone gravitates toward it pretty quickly, so it ends up being more of a prize for the remaining survivors of a firefight. However I think the energy drain comes in far more handy on this map than those of the past. You can cut off paths and force flag carriers to take a longer alternate route giving your team more time or throw one down a hall and weaken a cluster of enemies. I can’t wait to see the variety of tactics people use when they don’t veto it. :)

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/inline/H3_Citadel05.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_Citadel05.jpg)
Centralized

Q. What’s something you think players would be surprised to learn about Citadel (either the map or the process of making it)?

LB. That it was a completely different map for the first couple months of its lifespan. Other than the way the two maps looked, they don't share much.

BL. No matter what your opinion of Citadel ends up being, 6.7 people out of 7.3 agree that it’s far more awesome than you think.

Awesome. Citadel thoroughly explored keep a look out for some Longshore and Heretic coverage, coming soon.Still not that interested in it...

Sever
August 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Then why the hell did you quote the whole thing? You posted the link to the page that at least half of us have seen already - I'd think that'd be enough on its own. Also, I have to agree that it doesn't look that interesting yet, but keep in mind that all of the shots we've seen thus far have been of just the central area.

Saggy
August 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Sorry mister :smith:

I just quoted it for people who cba to click the link or check Bungie's website...

Pooky
August 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Then why the hell did you quote the whole thing? You posted the link to the page that at least half of us have seen already - I'd think that'd be enough on its own. Also, I have to agree that it doesn't look that interesting yet, but keep in mind that all of the shots we've seen thus far have been of just the central area.

The main reason it looks boring to me is just that I'm thoroughly sick of the dull gray Forerunner metal that permeates Halo 3. At least Epitaph had other elements to it as well.

Futzy
August 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Looks like a very fun and intense map.

The main reason it looks boring to me is just that I'm thoroughly sick of the dull gray Forerunner metal that permeates Halo 3. At least Epitaph had other elements to it as well.

At least the whole game isn't made out of grays, like just about every other shooter is.

Rosco
August 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Fuck Earth. In the campaign you were on Earth for 6 missions, The Ark for one mission, High Charity for one mission, and Halo for one mission.

The game is called HALO 3, not EARTH 3. Christ.

you mean like how earth will never be the same in halo 2 in the 2 missions actually on earth...

English Mobster
August 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=LongshoreInDepth
Longshore update up.
E: Huh. They modified the Hang 'Em High BSP to fit Longshore. It's not a straight port, and there are some major differences, but they used the original Hang 'Em High BSP. That now means that Hang 'Em High, it one form or another, has been in all 3 Halo games.

Heathen
August 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I will not be silenced for recognizing why Halo 3 failed so hard.
But it made the war more dangerous seeming. It brought the fight home.

sdavis117
August 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Game actually seemed half-half for me. Sure, there were more levels on Earth then on Aliens worlds, but the Earth levels were shorter.

p0lar_bear
August 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Longshore update up.
E: Huh. They modified the Hang 'Em High BSP to fit Longshore. It's not a straight port, and there are some major differences, but they used the original Hang 'Em High BSP. That now means that Hang 'Em High, it one form or another, has been in all 3 Halo games.

Though it's more of what Valhalla is to Bloodgulch and Guardian is to Lockout.

Advancebo
August 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM
yay hang em high :D

Heathen
August 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Though it's more of what Valhalla is to Bloodgulch and Guardian is to Lockout.
I was thinking that.

Masterz1337
August 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Longshore update up.

They didn't use any hang'em high bsp, they just based parts of it off of it and overlayed it's geometry in max for reference. No one would go back to modify the hang'em high for use in H3, they'd jsut do it from scratch.

Hotrod
August 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
They didn't use any hang'em high bsp, they just based parts of it off of it and overlayed it's geometry in max for reference. No one would go back to modify the hang'em high for use in H3, they'd jsut do it from scratch.
But that's what they did for Tombstone in Halo 2. They did a copy-paste, then changed it up cause it didn't work out perfectly.

=sw=warlord
August 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
Im not sure if you saw it but when they were working on the pit it was very blocky they didnt start putting the grooves and details in untill they got the basicly layout im sure they could have done the same with hang em high considering it would basicly the same very basic layout then detail afterwards.
Im just going by what i saw in the vidocs on the limited editions disc.

Limited
August 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Longshore is a sorta remake of Hang Em High? Wow, I never saw that in screenshots, and still cant recognize it.

Sever
August 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I could see the inside ramp of the high side in one of the unofficial videos, but that was it. I still think all 3 maps have great forging potential, but will initially be pretty basic and average.

Alwin Roth
August 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Bungie said when they made midship heretic, the literally took the halo 2 midship biped and added things and changed stuff.

Advancebo
August 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Bungie said when they made midship heretic, the literally took the halo 2 midship biped and added things and changed stuff.

Midship is a biped? I had no idea.

=sw=warlord
August 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Midship is a biped? I had no idea.
Yeah did you know?
The shotgun spawn is like where the tongue is and then you got the bowels by the botton of the map.

Advancebo
August 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah did you know?
The shotgun spawn is like where the tongue is and then you got the bowels by the botton of the map.

Im scared :ohdear:

BobtheGreatII
August 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Is it just me, or does the platform look like it doesn't really move as much as it did in Halo 2?

Sever
August 31st, 2009, 01:09 AM
It doesn't move at all, as they said in their write-up about its development. If you remember seeing any perpetually falling bodies on any moving scenery items in H3 (Epitaph's hovering platform, Last Resort's drop-down platform and windmill, etc.), then you'll understand why.

Siliconmaster
August 31st, 2009, 06:14 PM
^ This. I love moving objects, but I'll take better performance over bouncy toys any day.

Lateksi
September 1st, 2009, 06:56 AM
Here are the gameplay videos from "MLG ODST Takeover" for people who want to see how the maps play.

v_6qH9ZzPDM
8JSIM_1EOqM

t3h m00kz
September 2nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
Halo 3 will now have Midship and Chillout.

Just get Hang Em High in and we'll be good bre.

I'd say Death Island but the possibility of that is nonexistent

paladin
September 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Death Island would be omgwtfhax

=sw=warlord
September 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Death Island would be omgwtfhax
Who's up for banshee and hornet whores raise your hands...

Advancebo
September 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Who's up for banshee and hornet whores raise your hands...

What about scorpions

=sw=warlord
September 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
What about scorpions
psh scorpions are useless against the king of rage quiters the hornet in valhalla.

p0lar_bear
September 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
psh scorpions are useless against the king of rage quiters the hornet in valhalla.

There's no hornet in valhalla.

(Talking matchmaking/stock, here...)

=sw=warlord
September 3rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
There's no hornet in valhalla.

(Talking matchmaking/stock, here...)nless of course the nightmare where i saw everyone get raped by a hornet was actualy a custom game which i doubt as at the time i didnt have anyone on my friends list due to just getting an xbox.

sdavis117
September 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I thought that there use to be a Hornet on Valhalla in MM.

Hotrod
September 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
No, the Hornet was always deemed too powerful to ever be put into Matchmaking, until Avalanche came out, and had it's own weaker variation of the Hornet.

Lateksi
September 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
Death Island is not a bad idea... But H3 kids would be all "WTF?" at the player clip, or whatever the method they would use to keep players on the island.

Heathen
September 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Is it just me, or does the platform look like it doesn't really move as much as it did in Halo 2?

Yeah, that was stated.

I mean it was originally a gimmick anyways.

=sw=warlord
September 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
No, the Hornet was always deemed too powerful to ever be put into Matchmaking, until Avalanche came out, and had it's own weaker variation of the Hornet.
Then, why the fuck did i remember the ultimate lag fest in MM with everyone raping in wraiths and hornets?
E: also since when was there a fucking gravity hammer in valhalla.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=402873123&player=hpc%20cobby87

(http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=402873123&player=hpc%20cobby87)Also is it wrong to say i have more kills by the guardians than by a shotgun or rocketlauncher?
(http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=402873123&player=hpc%20cobby87)

Advancebo
September 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Death Island is not a bad idea... But H3 kids would be all "WTF?" at the player clip, or whatever the method they would use to keep players on the island.

Bungie probably wont keep it "Death Island"/Forerunner. There probably will be guardians or a death barrier.

klange
September 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
You walk off the edge and fall fifty feet under water.

Problem solved.

Heathen
September 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Why wouldn't they just use an invisible barrier? Zanzibar?

klange
September 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
They do that on a number of maps. My post was specifically targeted at Lateski's comment.

sdavis117
September 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
I believe that Last Resort should of had sharks that would eat you if you got too far out instead of a plain old invisible wall.

Hotrod
September 4th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Then, why the fuck did i remember the ultimate lag fest in MM with everyone raping in wraiths and hornets?
E: also since when was there a fucking gravity hammer in valhalla.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=402873123&player=hpc%20cobby87

(http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=402873123&player=hpc%20cobby87)Also is it wrong to say i have more kills by the guardians than by a shotgun or rocketlauncher?
(http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=402873123&player=hpc%20cobby87)
I don't know why you remember that, but I can explain the Gravity Hammer kill. There is no Gravity Hammer in Valhalla, but Bungie explained that it's a glitch in the game, something to do with meleeing a Wraith to death.

paladin
September 6th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Played Heretic and Citadel today at the Astro booth. Pretty sweet.

sneak
September 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
View at own risk. Links to vids on youtube of Citadel, Heretic, and Longshore.

Citadel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-udD24UZQ

Heretic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP7mMNqgKBA&feature=related

Longshore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RBgrq78eys&feature=related

Advancebo
September 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Not really a spoiler, IGN and such already played on these maps, and have videos of the gameplay.

sneak
September 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
o ok, i wasn't aware that they had.

sdavis117
September 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
So, has anyone popped in the second disk that came with ODST yet?

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/spartan123209/DSC00633.jpg

Well, after beating the ODST campaign, I decided to throw it in there. So far though I've only been able to find one game on the new maps, and that was Longshore (I wanted to see how a Big Team game played on it, so I went to the Mythic 8v8 playlist). I must say, for a large map, Longshore does not require that much walking distance to get to the action. No ManCannons needed either. But that isn't the amazing thing about the map. The amazing thing is that it can do that, and not feel crowded. Not once did I feel like the game was becoming chaotic. It was always 1v1 or 1v2 or 2v2 little fights going on, not 8v8 brawls tightly packed together. I haven't played Heretic or Citadel yet, but if they are as good as Longshore, then I will most likely enjoy them too.

I must say though that I am surprised that they reused the NXE icon for Halo 3. I thought they would use a different one. I would also like to add that I like the UI for the menus better on Halo 3 Mythic than vanilla Halo 3.

Probably better to ask for opinions on the new maps in this thread.

So, any thoughts on the new maps? Also, I have since then played Citadel, and I liked it better then I thought I would.

UnevenElefant5
September 27th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Longshore looks like it will be my favorite, since I never really enjoyed Midship and Citadel looks boring in my opinion. I'm not sure though, I've only done a few quick forge flythrough's while looking for the skulls.

BobtheGreatII
September 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Midship, to me, just turned in to a crap load of plasma sticks and death.

=sw=warlord
September 28th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Anyone managed to get out of heretic yet?
Im interested in looking at those covenant ships upclose.

UnevenElefant5
September 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I briefly tried, before giving up, but I'd like to get outside midship too.

Sever
September 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
This guy (http://2900d4u.deviantart.com/) apparently has gotten outside of Heretic, as well as Longshore.
http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/264/5/e/Covenant_fleet_by_2900d4u.png
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/264/f/a/Longshore_by_2900d4u.png
Also, if you haven't done it yet, take a minute to stop and look at the ships outside of Heretic. Zoom in, stand still, and keep your look static - it works best when you've got two ships in view - and you can see the ships slowly drifting forwards and backwards.

And some space dust!

Pooky
September 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Citadel was surprisingly fun, and Midship actually is slightly less horrible under the Halo 3 engine.

Still, if they were going to do new menus, I wish they would have gotten rid of the god damn blue-washing shit Halo 3 had. Even if it was just a different color wash, I'm so sick of the color blue by the time I finish playing a few rounds of Halo 3 that I could puke.

OmegaDragon
October 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
The only way I have managed to get out of Heretic is with theater mode. You just need to briefly get out of the map with the turret wall glitch and pause it the moment the guardians kill you. If you unpause it however, your camera will be teleported back inside.

Terry
October 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Why not just use pancam?

t3h m00kz
October 3rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
god i still haven't played these maps yet

Lateksi
October 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Citadel is the best out of the three. I thought Heretic would be fun because I somewhat liked Midship but it's only okay. Longshore is NOT Hang 'em High but it's great for big teams.

Heathen
October 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Anyone managed to get out of heretic yet?
Im interested in looking at those covenant ships upclose.

Lol?

You just increase the speed and ram the borders..How haven't you gotten it yet?

I got out of all 3 maps within the first hour of having them...

=sw=warlord
October 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Lol?

You just increase the speed and ram the borders..How haven't you gotten it yet?

I got out of all 3 maps within the first hour of having them...
Well when i do that as monitor i blew up and as camera i get no where.

paladin
October 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM
My friend took the screen shot thats on the CD >.> lucky buck

t3h m00kz
October 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I like Citadel. It's symmetrical and I think it's very balanced. Midship's still midship...

has anyone noticed a strange similarity between No_Remorse and Longshore? Like, really?

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/46/files2/60540_1.jpg
http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/halo-3-odst-longshore-bd-01.jpg

p0lar_bear
October 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Heretic with more than 6 people makes me rage. Plasma grenade-spamming clusterfuck.

Citadel with more than 4 people makes me rage. BR wankfest with virtually no opportunity to ambush people with the shotgun for the "Pull" achievement. Guess that one really IS an achievement.

I have yet to try Longshore though :/

ODX
October 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I like Citadel. It's symmetrical and I think it's very balanced. Midship's still midship...

has anyone noticed a strange similarity between No_Remorse and Longshore? Like, really?Um, no, not really. Just because they're both humanly-designed and right next to water, doesn't mean they're similar at all in their design and gameplay. Longshore doesn't even have a beach (right?).

Lateksi
October 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'm with you m00kz but I tell ya it's not that same looking.

Daishi
October 10th, 2009, 11:07 AM
It looks like the same visual design. Level design and gameplay-wise...not so much.

Advancebo
October 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Heretic with more than 6 people makes me rage. Plasma grenade-spamming clusterfuck.

Citadel with more than 4 people makes me rage. BR wankfest with virtually no opportunity to ambush people with the shotgun for the "Pull" achievement. Guess that one really IS an achievement.

You have to camp for Pull.

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I love plasma grenade spamming, so I have no issues with Heretic. :P

As for Citadel, I've only played 3 games on it, 2 of which were so laggy we could barely movie. Therefore I still don't really know if I like it yet, but the one good game seemed pretty fun.

Longshore seems pretty nicely balanced, and it works well for one-sided games due to the extendable bridge.

Heathen
October 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Well when i do that as monitor i blew up and as camera i get no where.

As a monitor?

Why would you do that?

And if you cant get through, increase to a faster speed.

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I just bump into the glass when I go full speed at the windows. Is there a trick to it, or is it just go full force and hope you break through?

Heathen
October 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just bump into the glass when I go full speed at the windows. Is there a trick to it, or is it just go full force and hope you break through?

p much.

Go back down to about 1 speed, then go all the way against a wall away from teh glass, then put the speed up to something rediculous like 900000000000000000000000 and tap forward at the glass. Youll definitely get through.

Siliconmaster
October 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM
p much.

Go back down to about 1 speed, then go all the way against a wall away from teh glass, then put the speed up to something rediculous like 900000000000000000000000 and tap forward at the glass. Youll definitely get through.

? I was under the impression there was only normal and "boost", as defined by the trigger button. Is there a way to manually edit speeds?

Heathen
October 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
:v:
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=83175

sevlag
October 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM
You have to camp for Pull.
or get lucky like i did and have the other team quit except for this one bad dude and his guest

also "team throwback" is a terribad play list, why would it be old school style GT and yet still have BRs on map and as starting weapons?

t3h m00kz
October 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Um, no, not really. Just because they're both humanly-designed and right next to water, doesn't mean they're similar at all in their design and gameplay. Longshore doesn't even have a beach (right?).

I say it's similar because of the bases, specifically the one on the left side of each image. They're both human-styled bases, both have water to the right of them, and they also have a 2-story area to the right, next to the water; the sort of square area in No Remorse and the boat dock on Longshore. I start playing on Longshore and got a complete deja vu from that.

p0lar_bear
October 11th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Bungie's version is lacking the awesomeness that is the broken rec0 soda machine. :v:

jcap
October 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM
No Remorse is a better map, hth~

t3h m00kz
October 11th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Halo 1 is a better game, hth~

Arteen
October 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I never actually liked No Remorse, so I'd have to say I enjoy Longshore a lot more. Longshore is much more like Hang'em High anyway.