PDA

View Full Version : Full Weapon Creation Tutorial

DEElekgolo
July 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I finally got around to uploading this. It's a pretty large download but contains around 7 hours of footage. This tutorial covers the complete creation of a modern weapon from start to finish. Everything is covered here including subd modeling, low poly creation, uving, baking, and texturing.

The sound isn't great but it will do.

I hope you enjoy!

Stuff I used:
3DS Max
Photoshop
8monkey Toolbag (http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61346)
xNormal photoshop plugins (http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx)

DOWNLOAD TUTORIAL HERE (http://racer445.com/pages/tutorials/ak-tutorial.php)

Final result:
http://racer445.com/media/tutorials/ak74u/render.jpg

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=966646

Download the fuck out of it.

Ki11a_FTW
July 9th, 2009, 12:57 AM
i should fucking look at this

Chainsy
July 9th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Great thread, but wrong section, should be studio.

SnaFuBAR
July 9th, 2009, 01:02 AM
moved to appropriate section.

CSFLOYD
July 9th, 2009, 01:24 AM
This is some pretty cool beans, definantley going to check it out! Everyone download it! NOW!

Malloy
July 9th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Looks like worthwhile output to watch the goddam video :P

p.s lolicious woodgrain

Hunter
July 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Wow, I sooo wish I could do something like that.

Joshflighter
July 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I doubt you ever will.

Thanks for the share dee, didnt see this there, downloading now.

Disaster
July 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Wow, I sooo wish I could do something like that.

Thats easy :3

DEElekgolo
July 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Yea, I noticed a lot of you never knew what subdiv modeling is. Some of you even thought that you had to use zbrush. And MANY of you just extruded to add detail.

Hunter
July 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I know what subdiv is. Just need to learn it, then maybe I could make simular products, with some support from the community... Fear

Disaster
July 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I know what subdiv is. Just need to learn it, then maybe I could make simular products, with some support from the community... Fear

Its not difficult to learn lol. You can pick it up in a day if you try. Just need to have extra edgeloops "reinforcing" the edges you want to make hard. I usually use 2 reinforcing each edge for a total of 3 edges. And its best to model in all quads so you can subdivide/smooth without any errors as triangles and ngons subdivide/smooth very awkwardly.

Warsaw
July 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
=O

Am download. Could definitely use this.

SMASH
July 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Can someone post what his overall method is like: (Subd Modelling -> Render Normal -> Low Poly Modeling -> Texturing) or something like that so I can watch them and have in mind where he's going with this. If not you'll watch 7 hours just to get the jist and then rewatch the 7 hours to get the technical side of things.

Roostervier
July 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
You watch them in the order they are in.

Here's a pic:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4383/order.png

Advancebo
July 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
o boy, unwrapping :D

Hunter
July 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Wooo, finished downloading. Watching :P

Joshflighter
July 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I started learning yesterday, this is SO awesome.

kid908
July 10th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Yea, I noticed a lot of you never knew what subdiv modeling is. Some of you even thought that you had to use zbrush. And MANY of you just extruded to add detail.

OMFG subdiv was a fucking life saver when making organic objects (especially freeform character creation). I learned it a while back for max, and use it in every model (hmmm...which I'm lacking now. betta get started soon)

legionaire45
July 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Lol, odd timing considering I just spent a week playing around with this on that glock.

Dl'ing - this turned out way better than my crappy little glock :3.

Anton
July 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I was directed to polycount by Fear (thanks bro) and came across that thread, yet the tutorial wasn't released. Glad to see it is now though!

Hunter
July 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
/me starts sub'ding models and texture baking...

Corndogman
July 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
the hell? Videos 6 and 10 aren't in the rar, and only 1-3 will extract.... the fuck?

E:
! C:\Users\Others\Documents\Downloads\Racer AK tut\racer_ak_tutorial.part2.rar: CRC failed in video4_lowpoly.avi. The file is corrupt
! C:\Users\Others\Documents\Downloads\Racer AK tut\racer_ak_tutorial.part2.rar: Unexpected end of archive
! C:\Users\Others\Documents\Downloads\Racer AK tut\racer_ak_tutorial.part3.rar: CRC failed in video5_unwrapping.avi. The file is corrupt
! C:\Users\Others\Documents\Downloads\Racer AK tut\racer_ak_tutorial.part3.rar: Unexpected end of archive
! C:\Users\Others\Documents\Downloads\Racer AK tut\racer_ak_tutorial.part4.rar: Unexpected end of archive

Roostervier
July 11th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Did you download all six parts? Maybe you downloaded the same one twice or something without noticing and you're missing one. Also, try extracting from part 1 rather than just any of the parts.

Corndogman
July 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Nope they're all the right ones, and I did extract from part one. Oh well, I'll figure it out later, or just redownload.

Hunter
July 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I had to re download a few times because they kept on going corrupt. Just see which archives give you an error and download again.

e.g.

! C:\Users\Others\Documents\Downloads\Racer AK tut\racer_ak_tutorial.part2.rar: CRC failed in video4_lowpoly.avi. The file is corrupt

So download part2 again.

killer9856
July 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Downloading. Eager to try it :)

legionaire45
July 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I selected all of the different .rars at once and extracted and didn't have any problems with corrupted files.

Corndogman
July 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
As Did I, they were just corrupted. I redownloaded them and it works now. Great tut, I'm halfway through.

Limited
July 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM
He shouldnt also split files up into sections, like modelling, texturing, unwrappnig etc. I only wanted to see the texturing one. To view any I gotta download 2.86GB of files =\

Hunter
July 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I attempted at texture baking something, but failed :/ Can't be arsed tbh. It is a really godo tutorial though, I will watch again one day and learn properly.