PDA

View Full Version : Mods.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
August 31st, 2006, 09:27 PM
I wasn't here last time (I think I registered but never visited). How did you chose/ were going to choose mods?

I'm just curious.

PlasbianX
August 31st, 2006, 09:30 PM
I think he said last time Jcap was the one he was looking for, after posting something which i cannot remember. Obvious you have to be trusted, a good member, know the forums a bit, and have been around a long time or so. Or atleast be friends with TheGhost ^^

Whiplash for mod.... then plas :P

TheGhost
August 31st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Trust me, you don't want to be a mod. But to anyone who's interested, you just have to be active, helpful, kind, etc. You get noticed quite easily.

However, I'll be setting up this thing called "Special Users" which will have special privs and access to the secret forums and all that jazz.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
August 31st, 2006, 09:35 PM
Trust me, you don't want to be a mod. But to anyone who's interested, you just have to be active, helpful, kind, etc. You get noticed quite easily.

However, I'll be setting up this thing called "Special Users" which will have special privs and access to the secret forums and all that jazz. I would love to be a mod. ;p

I'll be/am active, helpful, and kind. :D

PlasbianX
August 31st, 2006, 09:36 PM
My parents told me i was special.

Then they told me they lied to me, and i was just stupid. ._.

And yea, mods can suck. Try being one for a lineage 2 server, and you got PMs galore, tons of general asshats, and the occasional russian exploiter who claims his dad is the president of russia and will kill your family.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
August 31st, 2006, 09:37 PM
My parents told me i was special.

Then they told me they lied to me, and i was just stupid. ._.

And yea, mods can suck. Try being one for a lineage 2 server, and you got PMs galore, tons of general asshats, and the occasional russian exploiter who claims his dad is the president of russia and will kill your family.....Wtf 0.o?

Trinx
August 31st, 2006, 09:37 PM
and the occasional russian exploiter who claims his dad is the president of russia and will kill your family.

That still stands, you know. D:

Anyways, I'm too lazy anyways to be a moderator.

Teroh
August 31st, 2006, 10:45 PM
I'd mod, but I mean nothing to the community so I probably will never be. :'( Ah well.

jcap
August 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
I think he said last time Jcap was the one he was looking for, after posting something which i cannot remember. Obvious you have to be trusted, a good member, know the forums a bit, and have been around a long time or so. Or atleast be friends with TheGhost ^^
I think he was actually being sarcastic when I made my post... >_>

Can I become an admin so I can abuse admin powers such as banning innocent members for absolutely no reason, creating unnecessary threads and getting away with it, banning all the admins except for myself, and holding the forums for ransom by threatening to execute SQL queries with the potential to damage, or even destroy the entire database? :)

:p

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
August 31st, 2006, 10:52 PM
I was a mod before Bio's forums 'shut down'... >_>

Teroh
August 31st, 2006, 10:54 PM
I was a mod before Bio's forums 'shut down'... >_>
We'd all love to be mod, but it just can't happen. :(

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
August 31st, 2006, 10:55 PM
We'd all love to be mod, but it just can't happen. :(Says you. :p

Teroh
August 31st, 2006, 10:56 PM
Says you. :pOh its on now! Hit me up on xfire! Its Onnnnnnn

legionaire45
September 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Xfire Halo CE Battle Royale? Damn im missing some good stuff *kicks broken X800 GTO*.

Teroh
September 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Xfire Halo CE Battle Royale? Damn im missing some good stuff *kicks broken X800 GTO*.
Nah, but I'll own him on Starcraft, don't you worry.

Rescudo
September 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM
How will these, uh, "Special Users" be chosen? Do you get it by sponsoring the site, or just by being active in the forums?

I'd mod, but I mean nothing to the community so I probably will never be. :'( Ah well.

Uh, who are you?
:p j/k.

TheGhost
September 11th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Active, helpful, nice users who stand out.

Rescudo
September 11th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I'll probably end up postwhoring, but I'll give it a try :)

Emmzee
September 11th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I stand out!

Mr. BBQ
September 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Active, helpful, nice users who stand out.

Indeed.

Oh by the way, did I tell you I love you? It's true ya know.

Emmzee
September 11th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Ghost, have you gotten that fruit basket and scented candles I sent you? Also, do you want a backrub?

mined
September 11th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Secret Sections of the forums??? :shocked:

Katana
September 11th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Oh by the way, did I tell you I love you? It's true ya know.

Ghost, have you gotten that fruit basket and scented candles I sent you? Also, do you want a backrub?

I don't think brown-nosing qualifies as helpful, kids.

Zeph
September 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'll trade my CMT modship for a modship here!
seriously.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I don't think brown-nosing qualifies as helpful, kids.Really guys:eyesroll:.

Agamemnon
September 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
All I have to say is that modding is a work out depending on the community and the activity as well. I've been a mod for about two months on H2S and it feels like two years really. Doesn't really help when you have fanboys who join just for the sake of posting spam. Cleaning up after their mess when there's no admin around is no fun.

But it's also hard stuff. You have to remain neutral upon all sides of an arguement and treat everyone as an equal; GBX modship must take a toll on those mods, which might explain why there are so many.

At the same time though it's also fun and it gets you involved greatly with the community. You learn about the workings of the inside of the community and all that other good jazz and I don't mind the 10 PMs everyday. :o

TheGhost
September 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I really want to make like 6 people mods, lol.

It's hard to know if people actually understand what being a mod means or just want the title.

Emmzee
September 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I really want to make like 6 people mods, lol.

It's hard to know if people actually understand what being a mod means or just want the title.
I know what being a mod means. It means a responsibility to babysit the forums.

In a nutshell.

Agamemnon
September 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I know what being a mod means. It means a responsibility to babysit the forums.

In a nutshell.
In a very vague nutshell. :p

Kalub
September 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
A moderators job is to uphold the peace of the forums. Not only do they keep the place clean but they do the dirty work of the admin and are generally nice people. They type out all their words and try to explain things to people with the utmost care.

They should be kind, and yet stern so people dont take advantage of them. They should never perform favortismn and favor a certain group over another. And most of all they should be trust worthy and perform their job under all circumstances.

Theres my 2 cents on the moderator positions.

TheGhost
September 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
A moderators job is to uphold the peace of the forums. Not only do they keep the place clean but they do the dirty work of the admin and are generally nice people. They type out all their words and try to explain things to people with the utmost care.

They should be kind, and yet stern so people dont take advantage of them. They should never perform favortismn and favor a certain group over another. And most of all they should be trust worthy and perform their job under all circumstances.

Theres my 2 cents on the moderator positions.
Excellent.

mined
September 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM
OK, I'm am not actually asking to be a Mod here, and to be honest it is not like me to do this (doubt me follow any thread I have ever posted in at GBX). But, if you need to fill some slots with someone that fits the bill as described, I could and would be willing to do the job. Besides, I am insanely curious at the goings on behind the scenes as well as those so-called secret sections of the forums. :D I am a bit older then everyone else with young'ns of my own. I have plenty of experience mediating between people from not just dealing with my own children but life experience as well. Likewise, I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to try themselves out without the unneeded cynicism of others. I find it demoralizing and just plain mean.

I am telling you this simply because I like what has been started here. This is a fun hobby for me and I am very interested in keeping this forum fun and fair so that some good knowledge can be spread around for all those interested.

Agamemnon
September 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Wait, is the purpose of this thread to apply for the position, or to simply discuss them?

Yes, that is sarcasm folks.

PlasbianX
September 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Neither. It was about whiplash's question.

TheGhost
September 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Obviously "I WANT TO BE MOD" is unattractive. But like I said this place is just starting up and I don't have thousands of posts to go by to judge a person. If a person shows that they know what being a moderator is, that isn't even necessarily expressing interest in the position, but it does show me and the rest of the staff that they know what it's about rather than just a title.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Well, it was/is to discuss them. That was my whole intention. I didn't make the topic to secretly ask "sup? mod me plx!" or just ask in the open, "So, can I be a mod?"

I was just wondering how they were going to choose them. Now I know. ;p

Agamemnon
September 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I was just curious when you said, "I want to make six people mods," when the community hasn't kicked up to the point where you don't even need a second yet.

TheGhost
September 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Exactly. And that's why there aren't 6 mods. I was stating that there are a lot of seemingly-promising candidates right now.

mined
September 11th, 2006, 07:35 PM
^ enough said.

Agamemnon
September 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Plenty of people look like seemingly good candidates, but it honestly depends on how well they can handle the position and the feedback of some of the comments from the community. Knowing what your duties are to the community doesn't make them a good mod; being able to perform their duties level-headed and neutrally is what makes them a good mod. Which comes back to my original question; just how can you handle Gearbox? I seriously get a headache sometimes over there with some of the responses I read from some people.

Kalub
September 11th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I would like to apply for the position, I know I just started at this forum but I bet over 89% of you know me from other places. I have a lot of Vbullietn experience, and I understand how TheGhost would like this forum run, or atleast a vague image of it.

My Resume includes:
BioCroc.com - Admin up and running for 7 Months
CMT Forums - SuperMod (Link (http://cmt.haloimpulse.com))
HaloMods - JuniorMod (I quit after one day; due to stress)
Halo-mods - Gaurdian (Helper of the tutorials section) [before crash]
Halo-Mods - Guardian/Phils Pet

That concludes my resume. If you wish to give me the position that is cool, if not I respect your decision and would like to wish good luck to other applicants.

And to agememnon, his trusty banhammer helps him decide in alot of cases, if you get what I mean ;)

Xetsuei
September 11th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I vote Bio for mod.

Agamemnon
September 11th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Ah, I forgot about the power of the banhammer; when I think of a mod's powers I usually think of someone who can at least edit, delete, sticky, announce, and move posts/threads.

Zeph
September 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Lol, you can tell Bio wants the colored name :p. I dont have a big and long resume, but I do know the forum tools, how to use them quickly and effectively, and I actively work to bring more people to the community.

PlasbianX
September 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM
There goes my chances of ever getting mod. But ah well, its not needed atm. Hell, most of the time there is more mods online than non mods. Why dont we just all wait to see if Ghost picks out f the crowd and offers us the spot :)

StankBacon
September 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM
:'(

ive run sites and been a admin on many forums way longer than bio.

still <3 you ghost.

PlasbianX
September 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I admin on a MMORPG server, and have to deal with countless numbers of begging noobs. And i moderate the forums. But lets all stop asking for mod, and let them pick us when they want to :)

mined
September 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Lol, somebody broke the seal on this one.

Kalub
September 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM
:'(

ive run sites and been a admin on many forums way longer than bio.

still <3 you ghost.

We all love you <3 I mean who here doesnt like turkey and bacon genetically spliced together to make one single product.

Rescudo
September 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Obviously "I WANT TO BE MOD" is unattractive.
I WANT TO BE MOD

We all love you <3 I mean who here doesnt like turkey and bacon genetically spliced together to make one single product.

OMG I want some!:woop:

Emmzee
September 12th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I was oing to apply for mod, but my resume got pwned by Bio...

I was the moderator on the Mega Man CE forums.

Reaper Man
September 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM
>:0 i wanna be a mod... cus i said so :P
think of the sky for the ghosty ban pic ghost.

Rescudo
September 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I'm a moderator on the forums for the best drama machinima ever... yes, it's a big one too. :D

Agamemnon
September 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Hint: Begging, asking, or even jokingly jeering at the possibility of wanting to be a mod is a sure way in being chosen not to be one.

Rescudo
September 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Not always, but I see your point.

Rosco
September 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM

However, I'll be setting up this thing called "Special Users" which will have special privs and access to the secret forums and all that jazz.

[/Champ] WHY THE SECRETS. :XD:

I've been a moderator before, it's a fun job until you get a spammity clammity array of spam members that appear out of no where.
But hey, it's part of being a moderater.

I would /request but I don't think ol Ghost knows me well. :(

Rescudo
September 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Don't we all love to be moderators. :p

Ki11a_FTW
March 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Lol..

InnerGoat
March 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Lol..Do you really have to bump old threads :/

lol at the banned members though

Ki11a_FTW
March 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
wtf, i swear to god the quail dude posted something before i did

Zeph
March 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
wtf, i swear to god the quail dude posted something before i did

*looks at thread*
nope.

I'll trade my CMT modship for a modship here!
seriously.
lol.

JunkfoodMan
March 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM
*looks at thread*
nope.

Is this sarcasm? because he did.

Zeph
March 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Is this sarcasm? because he did.
of course.
you know I would have jumped for joy at the chance to place ye old h2v mark of shame on his post, yet I haven't.

SnaFuBAR
March 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I was oing to apply for mod
rofl, could you guys imagine one of the worst posters on the forum being a mod? :lmao:

oh, well... neither could i :mad:

beele
March 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Even though I would like to become a mod once, I am not as known as others who fit the job better.

PenGuin1362
March 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
what happened to everyone in this thread?? especially rosco he just disappeared like recently.

Zeph
March 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Rosco was here last month.

paladin
March 28th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Me wants mod...:saddowns:

Gamerkd16
March 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Wow, I actually didn't realize this was an old thread until page 5. I was wondering how people banned like Emmzee and Agamemnon were posting.

paladin
March 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Lol oh yeah, I saw that too. I guess I just didn't piece it together.

n00b1n8R
March 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Remind me, why was aggy banned?

Sel
March 28th, 2008, 08:02 PM
This place is two years old? :\

n00b1n8R
March 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
31st Augush, 20076 according to teh ghost's join date.

Syuusuke
March 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM

You made me think Whipass Demon posted again.

n00b1n8R
March 28th, 2008, 08:21 PM

You made me think Whipass Demon posted again.
I know. I was scared too. D:

JunkfoodMan
March 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Remind me, why was aggy banned?

Various Shitposting/trolling/utter stupidity in the field of technology?

Con
March 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
This place is two years old? :\
I no rite! Where has the time gone? :(

Jay2645
March 28th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Wait. I started HCE modding when this place JUST opened, over at Halomaps. Never really felt like hanging out with the "Cool kids". One day, I signed up to promote a map I was working on, Last Resort, based off of leaked video (And I would have had it COMPLETELY wrong if I had finished that map).

Then, after some general mapping bullshit, I tried stealing an A-Wing from another site and passing the WAAY too High-Poly work as my own. Doing that went all an hero on my rep, which has been recovering from the red bars of death quite nicely.

It hasn't been 2 years... Has it?

Dole
March 29th, 2008, 06:26 AM
No. Hint: September was the annifirstary. From there, you can do the math---or clockwork, whichever it may be.

Jay2645
March 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
One and a half years.

Still a lot of crap I got done in one and a half years...

ICEE
March 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I feel the opposite of you jay. After all the time Ive been around I still haven't learned enough modeling to make a decent map. I figure thats not for me though, so I've been trying to learn animations.