PDA

View Full Version : Sex Ed 101: Cascading Style Sheets and You

sdavis117
July 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have come to a revelation. I am only good in two programming languages: (X)HTML and CSS. This revelation hit me hard. Actually, it didn't, because I have known this for a long time. But it still hit me today. You see, I was thinking today I have been a part of this "great" "community" called "Modacity" for 2 years now (actually it will be two years on July 25th, but close enough) and I have not given this community anything other than my wisdom (in the form of posts and a Podcast; I also did give this community a Forged map, but I believe that no one has downloaded it*). Well there is not much I can do. I suck at making maps for Halo. I suck at Hammer. I don't even own Crysis or UT3. And I have no C++ or general programming skills for that matter. Wait, I do know HTML and CSS. But what good is that? Oh wait, this site is in much need of new themes. I could create thoughs. Let me just download a page......

After downloading the "Index" page, I have several questions regarding the coding of this site (now maybe this is VBulletin's fault, but I have a feeling that they aren't the only ones at fault here):

1) Why do you guys use Internal Cascading Style Sheets? Would it not be much easier to make the Style Sheet external? It would make implementation among all the pages much easier.

2) I don't get the system of organization you guys used. Your labels tend to consist of either nav or alt, with several variations consisting of different letters and numbers. This has forced me to try trial and error to find out what is what (I've been turning things pure green to make them pop out, even though some things aren't that obvious, and others, I can't even tell what they are for).

3) I'm assuming that this is HTML4. Am I wrong in that assessment?

Now I could label everything myself (even though it wouldn't be perfect), but I was hoping that maybe an admin has a super secret version of the site's code that I could use that has labels and marking and shit.

* Upon editing, I am surprised to say that 50 people have downloaded this map. I didn't even know that there were 50 people on Modacity with Halo 3.

Edit2: I accidentally said Inline CSS. Modacity actually used Internal CSS.

klange
July 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
All of your questions can be answered easily: It's vBulletin. They didn't make the template, just the CSS and images to go with it.

Also, it's XHTML 1.0 Transitional, l2doctype:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

sdavis117
July 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Well then, I will search the internet. Someone out there must have a neat version of VBulletin CSS.

TheGhost
July 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
vB 4 will have nice cascading style sheets