PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from XP to Vista (H.Prem)

Kalub
April 8th, 2007, 01:43 AM
If I say upgrade to Vista Home Premium from XP, will I be able to revert back to XP if anything happens? Right now I have a dual boot, and Im thinking its time to move on. Alas, Im scared, I dont want to loose any of my personal documents and settings. Can anyone explain the upgrade process to me?

Thanks -Croc

mR_r0b0to
April 8th, 2007, 01:59 AM
what's wrong with your dual boot?
you should keep it that way until vista has enough driver support and stuff...

Kalub
April 8th, 2007, 02:04 AM
The Dual boot bugs me because all my shortcuts and desktop settings are on XP, Vista is great and all but it doesnt have my shortcuts and that really tweaks me off.

legionaire45
April 8th, 2007, 03:02 AM
you can make new shortcuts very easily, just right click on your program's exe file and select "send to" choose desktop. However, I'm working off of XPs and I haven't seen Vistas so they may have changed it.

Kalub
April 8th, 2007, 03:27 AM
But that takes time, and what about my quicklaunch icons and such. The point being is I want to know what vista will 'upgrade' and how many settings and things it will keep. And Im lazy.

P-Thunder.
April 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM
BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

Hah! = ]

Pred1ator
April 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM
^ tru, thats what i always do

Kalub
April 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Ok, but what do I need to backup? :\ Do I just need my documents or do I need the whole XP operating system?

flibitijibibo
April 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Wait, you mean you can't do the whole upgrading over thing like I did? There should be this feature that let's you put the new OS over XP and keep all your settings and files. http://upgradedtovista.ytmnd.com/ <-- Like this, but without the ending part XD.

Pooky
April 8th, 2007, 02:40 PM
But that takes time

Holy shit, you mean switching operating systems takes TIME?

:eek:

Limited
April 8th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I heard the XP license becomes obsolete, but then again I hear lots of bullshit.

If you do it, tell me how it goes because thats likely what I will do.

I_Am_Error117
April 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I heard the XP license becomes obsolete, but then again I hear lots of bullshit.

If you do it, tell me how it goes because thats likely what I will do.

Your Xp key WILL become no good if you upgrade, but thers a loophole:

1) erase HD (back up on another comp)
2) install Vista Home Premium w/o using a product Key (leave the box blank)
3) You will have x amount of days to upgrade
4) use your vista cd to "upgrade" on top of your unregistered vista use your cd key this time
5) enjoy

This will let you do an almost clean install of vista, and will not take away any old cd keys :)

Keep on Rockin'

P-Thunder.
April 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM
There is not always a need to backup, i went from XP to Windows Vist ultimate and it puts all your old files (including the old OS, but it cant boot) in a folder called Windows.Old

= ]

I_Am_Error117
April 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
There is not always a need to backup, i went from XP to Windows Vist ultimate and it puts all your old files (including the old OS, but it cant boot) in a folder called Windows.Old

= ]

Yeah but you need to back up your stuff If you use my way to keep your xp CD key.

Reading is fun!

Keep on Rockin'

Kalub
April 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Holy shit, you mean switching operating systems takes TIME?

:eek:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5116/1175973292796pw7.gif

Yes it takes time I have to restart. Get out of my thread cockbag.

And I have my key to XP on the side of my computer, but if I upgrade will it become invalid?

Pooky
April 8th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Get out of my thread cockbag.

That almost sounded like flaming.

Kalub
April 8th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Its because it was. You sure are observant, now get out of my thread. Cockbag

I_Am_Error117
April 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
yes the key would becomr invalid, and you two stop before the ghost hands out his shiny little infractions

Pooky
April 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Its because it was. You sure are observant, now get out of my thread. Cockbag

That also sounds like flame. I don't really appreciate that.

I can't stand people who sit there and say "lol im lazy"

It wasn't funny when it was new, and it's not funny now. Why should the people who actually took the time to install their new operating system properly help you take shortcuts because you're "lazy"?

So I feel my comment was perfectly justified. Do it yourself.

Kalub
April 9th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Did you not read the first post at all? I want to know what I need to backup to... well backup before I install. When the suggestion of staying with the dual boot, I had to disagree because I don't want to spend all the time customizing it. I was asking if the upgrade will keep all my stuff.

So I'll ask you once more; better yet I'm telling you:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5116/1175973292796pw7.gif

Cockbag.

p0lar_bear
April 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Use the files and settings transfer wizard.

I have no obvious link to it, search for it in Windows XP Help.

TheGhost
April 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Wow, quit the flaming please?

gandalf27
April 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Couldnt you just save all the shortcut files onto a flashdrive(USB) and then just copy them in to your vista side. its quick and fast.