PDA

View Full Version : background sounds?

kenney001
April 8th, 2007, 06:00 PM
how do i go about making background sounds?

i have tried going into sapien, going to cluster\pallets\background_sounds and making anew instance, and adding the sound_looping to that, naming it something, going back to clusters\background_sounds, selecting the new pallete from the dropdown, and hiting space (like im adding fox to a plane) but ingame it doesnt work. and yes i have EAX turned on ingame.

CtrlAltDestroy
April 8th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I do it manually in guerilla:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6843/ambientbu0.png

kenney001
April 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
i did that to...for all fo teh clusters. Still no sound in halo.

CtrlAltDestroy
April 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
It might be the sound tag itself... assign it to something like a weapon firing effect and test if you can hear it like that.

ExAm
April 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM
how do i go about making background sounds?

i have tried going into sapien, going to cluster\pallets\background_sounds and making anew instance, and adding the sound_looping to that, naming it something, going back to clusters\background_sounds, selecting the new pallete from the dropdown, and hiting space (like im adding fox to a plane) but ingame it doesnt work. and yes i have EAX turned on ingame.But that's not what EAX does. Environmental sound is like echoes and stuff, not background noise.

kenney001
April 9th, 2007, 09:31 AM
what ever. I even tried adding the bloodgulch background sounds, and they work when i open bloodgulch, but not in mine. Im stuck....I honestly dont get it....

ExAm
April 9th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Depends on the card, apparently. Mine screws up in Halo as well, and some of the sounds are dullified, like melee hit sounds. I'll bet if I had a different sound card it'd work better. Also, it's not the EAX that's the problem, it's hardware acceleration. Period. If you turn on acceleration but turn off EAX, you get the same shit.

I get the same errors in Battlefield 2, but with footsteps and voiceovers. Voiceovers skip a lot, so I just keep my sound renderer set to Software.

kenney001
April 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
its not the sound car thats the problem (mines the onboard RealTek ac'97) because sound works fine on every other level. Its just i can't get headlong to play the background sound i give it. I added the sounds\sfx\ambience\multiplayer\bloodguclh.sound_l ooping that bloodguclh uses, and added it in sapen, and even opened my BSP in gurilla and changed all teh clusters to have that background sound, yet in-game i still get nothing.

ExAm
April 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Well it screws up my audio :P
I have an Audigy card, and it, as well as my ac97, screws up my audio when I use hardware acceleration. Unless for some reason, my games are using my card by default, no matter what my computer settings say...