PDA

View Full Version : Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job

STLRamsFan
August 3rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.
In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

Thompson said she has fulfilled her end of the job-search bargain, peppering companies listed on Monroe's e-recruiting site with cover letters, résumés and phone calls. But no more than two employers have responded to her outreach, and those leads have borne no fruit.

Her complaint adds, "The office of career advancement information technology counselor did not make sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call their graduates that recently finished college for an interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me."

She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said.

Monroe College released a statement saying that "while it is clear that no college, especially in this economy, can guarantee employment, Monroe College remains committed to working with all its students, including Ms. Thompson, who graduated only three months ago, to prepare them for careers and to support them during their job search."

Thompson says she has not hired an attorney to represent her because she cannot afford one. When she filed her complaint, she also filed a "poor person order," which exempts her from filing fees associated with the lawsuit.

Asked whether she would advise other college graduates facing job woes to sue their alma maters, Thompson said yes.

"It doesn't make any sense: They went to school for four years, and then they come out working at McDonald's and Payless. That's not what they planned."Wow, can we please redo our judicial system now. This is getting ridiculous.

Phopojijo
August 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
First thing's first... her GPA is 2.7... not BAD but, that's ~B-... which I ~got in Physics at Queen's U... but still. There are reasons why they help out people with 4.0 GPAs... employers want them.

Secondly... the Bronx Supreme Court...? Serious?

rossmum
August 3rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
I wish people could be sued for stupid and pointless lawsuits

Gamerkd16
August 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
This comic comes to mind:
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Kris/depressingweek2.png

lol

Rook
August 4th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Recently a woman won an amount just under 1 million for getting her ass grabbed here in corbin

sexual harassment can fuck you up, that guy could have bought a boatload of pussy, but instead he goes for the ass grab and fails

Limited
August 4th, 2009, 03:01 AM
She sounds like a total bitch to me, no wonder they didnt give her the job.

legionaire45
August 4th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Cool, trivial lawsuit.

I wish I could sue this person for wasting oxygen and a seat at a college.

teh lag
August 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
It's funny when you think of what kind of upbringing makes this kind of behavior as an acceptable response. By extension, it's even funnier when you think of what kind of society makes that an acceptable upbringing.

"It doesn't make any sense: They went to school for four years, and then they come out working at McDonald's and Payless. That's not what they planned."

OH NO IT DIDN'T GO AS PLANNED BAWWWWWWWWWWWW I DIDNT GET WHAT I WANTED BAWWWW BAWWWWW

This is what you get when you put the "everyone is a winner" mentality in education. Not everyone is a success. The world is NOT fair, the world will NOT cater to your every whim. Some people will get screwed and other people will get lucky, that's how it always has been.

She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said.

NO SHIT THEY GIVE PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT. A grade is not some meaningless number that is used by the horrid elitists, it is a measure of your overall level of success. A 4.0 is a symbol that you have worked hard and done well, you damn well should be getting extra help because you've fucking earned it.

I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through.

woo logical disconnect but that's ok buz im fuckin MAD

Not to mention that it has only been three months. Honestly, it's not such a big surprise that it takes a fresh graduate that long to find a job. Blame the economy, not the school.

I'm really eager to see what kind of world leaders get turned out by this.

Rosco
August 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
She must of not noticed the world currently

rossmum
August 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
GIVE ME SHIT FOR FREE
no

additionally, fuck off

Bhamid
August 4th, 2009, 10:49 AM
She needs a life...

Reaper Man
August 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
GIVE ME SHIT FOR FREEno

additionally, fuck off
Best post I've seen in a long time.

Arteen
August 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I bet no company will want her now due to her filing lawsuits like this.

Mr Buckshot
August 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Hope that's true. She's made herself (in)famous to a lot of employers by now.

She brought it down on herself (underachieving at college, etc), yet she expects everyone to get down on their knees and help her out. Ok, given the state of the world economy it's not 100% her fault, but it's not like she can disclaim all responsibility for her situation.

Anyway, if I had a 2.7 GPA in college I'd make sure I repeated at least the final year, because to me it's only fair that those who scored better are looked upon better by employers. It's the same way that when high school students apply to college, the students with better academic standings naturally have higher chances of getting in (although it's not always so concrete - someone with a 4.0 GPA is not guaranteed a higher chance of admission vs a 3.9 GPA student for example, but 4.0 vs 2.7 is definitely quite clear). You may be smart in your own way but if you score a 2.7 GPA you aren't proving it.

And yeah personality is a big factor here, you may have a 4.0 GPA from MIT and all but if you can't conduct yourself properly during an interview, your chances of getting the job go down a lot.

Recently a woman won an amount just under 1 million for getting her ass grabbed here in corbin

sexual harassment can fuck you up, that guy could have bought a boatload of pussy, but instead he goes for the ass grab and fails

That's totally different from the situation here. The man did something that any sane person would deem disgusting and wrong to the woman and he got punished for it, enough said.

rossmum
August 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM
That's totally different from the situation here. The man did something that any sane person would deem disgusting and wrong to the woman and he got punished for it, enough said.
Hardly worth ten dollars' worth of compo, let alone a million.

Lawsuits should automatically fail unless there's some kind of genuine cost to be covered (medical bills, repair bills, etc.); it's revolting how many people just use their problems as a way to make money and it's even worse that people honestly believe throwing money at someone is all that's needed to make everything better.

Mr Buckshot
August 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I just realized this woman has only been searching for a job for three months, which is even stupider. She evidently doesn't realize that there are lots of people with better credentials than hers who have hunted for one, maybe two years before getting employed, even in better economic times.

Her attitude reminds me of those "super spoiled rich kids" you see in some cartoons, who demand that their servants tie their shoelaces for them and spoon feed them every meal, then when they grow up they demand that their family and peers give them every little bit of undeserved financial help.

Hardly worth ten dollars' worth of compo, let alone a million.

Lawsuits should automatically fail unless there's some kind of genuine cost to be covered (medical bills, repair bills, etc.); it's revolting how many people just use their problems as a way to make money and it's even worse that people honestly believe throwing money at someone is all that's needed to make everything better.

eh I agree that a million dollars is a ridiculous amount to sue that molester for, but as for the lawsuit itself I'd say it was justified, just that the price is ridiculously high. Here regarding the college and job thing, the lawsuit should automatically fail.

Sel
August 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Mr Buckshot
August 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

lol ditto.

flibitijibibo
August 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Yup. Good for them too. She's proven herself to not only be a bitch, but a stupid one as well.

First off, wah wah, I can't get a job during a recession.

Second, and more seriously, a 2.7 in information technology? They give out IT and engineering degrees with a fucking happy meal these days, and she couldn't maintain a B average? Yeah, they prefer the 4.0 students for a goddamn reason.

Third, money for stress? Cry some more, bitch. Not only have you shown that you don't seem to know what recession means, but you don't know that others have problems as well. I hope the people stuck at Payless still manage to be more successful than your stupid ass.

Mr Buckshot
August 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM
As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

Whoa, I didn't realize that a solid attendance record is a stand-out academic credential. So because I've never skipped school without a valid reason, I deserve to be in Harvard and to get any job I desire in the future. /sarcasm

A solid attendance record would definitely be a plus, but not that big of one compared to marks.

I agree that attendance is important to an extent (a model employee should not be trying to skip work), but the way this woman flaunts it as a "talent" is what makes me laugh. My sister has deliberately skipped uni lectures before without valid reasons and she's never scored below a high B.

flibitijibibo
August 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
She showed up every day and still got a 2.7? Good lord.

I would pick the one with less attendance and a higher grade any day. It proves they don't need to be there constantly to get the job done.

Daishi
August 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Fuckin' bitch is all she is. I hope she dies and burns in hell, we need less of her genes in our pool anyway.

Sel
August 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Whoa, I didn't realize that a solid attendance record is a stand-out academic credential. So because I've never skipped school without a valid reason, I deserve to be in Harvard and to get any job I desire in the future. /sarcasm

A solid attendance record would definitely be a plus, but not that big of one compared to marks.

leorimolo
August 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM
She could work at Walmart, its not that she can't get a job is that she can't get a decent one because shes one of those stupid americans who sues for any fucking reason.

Also I recently went to FL, holyshit there are lawyer adds everywhere that simply say "have you been injured , you could get payed for it!" Alot of courts should really just dismiss alot of these cases.

Mr Buckshot
August 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
She could work at Walmart.

With her attitude, she probably won't last a month lol.

Cojafoji
August 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
notice how she said, "they haven't done enough to help me."

the college should refund her money, and strip her degree.

Syuusuke
August 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
She actually went to school?

thehoodedsmack
August 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
She sounds like an uppity bitch! >:U She can't get a good job is the problem, but nobody seems to be able to these days.

Dwood
August 4th, 2009, 06:30 PM

I didn't know it was the college's job to get her a job.:ohdear:

Rosco
August 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I agree with coja.

Give her the money back, take away what she earned from using that money.

TheGhost
August 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'd love to see her resume.

kid908
August 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Maybe They should sue her for wasting their time with this lawsuit, and sue for double the tuition and the removal of her degree.:realsmug:

But, only 3 months...you should really get a temp job and search for a real job.

My uncle knows/knew a college who spent the first 1-2 years after graduation working at a low paying job finding work in the field of his degree.

TomClancy
August 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
First thing's first... her GPA is 2.7... not BAD but, that's ~B-...

Wow, in my school district a 2.7 is like a C average. Depending on weighted courses too. If I got an A+ in Honors Algebra II it would be a 5.5. (All +'s add .5). Weighted also adds an extra point.

Mr Buckshot
August 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
her GPA is 2.7... not BAD but, that's ~B-

Is the GPA system different in Ontario? In BC (and California where I lived before), that would be more like a C or C+ average...

flibitijibibo
August 5th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah, that's a C+ average here too.

Warsaw
August 5th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Yup, 2.7 is C+ here as well.

Maybe she should've majored in something useful. Studying the markets helps. :downs:

neuro
August 5th, 2009, 02:57 AM

this is actually EXACTLY what i was thinking.

Cojafoji
August 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Bottom line is she's a business major (worthless), obviously has extremely bad interpersonal skills, a bad attitude, and a problem with spelling. Anyone else notice the sic in the article? It made me LOL.

Anyway, she could have easily picked up a couple decent part time positions with her base degree.

She's just not trying hard enough.

Syuusuke
August 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Apparently the school is also that bad...

Rorschach
August 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
eh I agree that a million dollars is a ridiculous amount to sue that molester for, but as for the lawsuit itself I'd say it was justified, just that the price is ridiculously high.
Oh horseshit. In the fucked up, sex-crazed civilization we live in, do you think anyone gives a shit about getting their ass grabbed? Of course not. If she was fuck ugly, she probably appreciated the attention but kept it to herself. If she was at least mildly attractive, it got her hot until she had a second thought at it. Either way, she knew it was something that she could take advantage of.

I'll bet her million dollars that her million dollars went to a Puerto Rican poolboy, a cardboard cutout of Brett Favre in his underwear, and a thirteen-inch vibrator that whistles "O Come All Ye Faithful".

ThePlague
August 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'll bet her million dollars that her million dollars went to a Puerto Rican poolboy, a cardboard cutout of Brett Favre in his underwear, and a thirteen-inch vibrator that whistles "O Come All Ye Faithful".
That's going in my sig.