PDA

View Full Version : No! No! Bad snake! Bad!

PopeAK49
August 5th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Well, I had this ball python since the 26th of December and have been feeding it in a special feeding box since the time i got it. Obviously he is really smart and knows that it's feeding time when i put him in the box. I was kind of close to the fedding box and noticed he raised his body and tried striking at the me. As I backed off a little bit he struck at me 2 times. Thank god he didn't land a bite on me, probably thanks to my mad dodge ball skills. I'm thinking he probably got really exited or is super hungry. I feed him a large adult mice every week. Maybe I should feed him every 5 days? We don't have rats up here so getting prey bigger then a mouse is hard. If there is anyone who owns a ball python please tell me what to do. I love the snake, and he never done this before. It Litterally scared the crap out of my mom and now she doesn't ever want to see the thing, wasn't too scary for me though.

legionaire45
August 5th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Wear it around your neck!

Then you won't have to worry about it biting you!

Phobias
August 5th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Snakes get grumpy to.

Something you were wearing may have spooked it. Did you make any sudden movements? Like sneezing or even yawning has been said to make them get a tad aggressive. (the showing of teeth I guess?)

Then again, it may have just been hungry. Snakes are moody buggers.

ExAm
August 5th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Cleaned up the thread to leave only the semi-legitimate posts. Fuck, you guys are idiots.

PopeAK49
August 5th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Well, I'm going to try feeding him once every five days instead of every seven days. O and thank you exam for cleaning it up.

StankBacon
August 5th, 2009, 05:35 AM
my cousin had a few of them, he fed em like every 2 weeks or some shit.

they were big rats tho, so i guess you can feed him more often.

ThePlague
August 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Take a video of you feeding it

Hotrod
August 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
If he's grown at all since you've gotten him, I'd presume that he needs more to eat, or needs to eat more frequently. I think your idea of feeding him every 5 days would be your best bet at the moment.

PopeAK49
August 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ya it said in the ball python book that if they get over 24in, then feeding them 1 mouse every 5 days is the best choice. So I'm going to trust them on that since my snake must of grown 6in plus since the time I got him.

I would take a video of feeding him but I don't have a video camera.

Dwood
August 6th, 2009, 12:51 PM
If you feed them live mice then they'll be more aggressive. If the mice are dead when you feed, they should be more docile. I'm not sure to what extent the difference is, though.

Ganon
August 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
tbh an animal is an animal. whether its a dog, cat or tiger its always potentially dangerous and you really do have no control over them.

Rorschach
August 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Well, I had this ball python since the 26th of December and have been feeding it in a special feeding box since the time i got it.
Why not just feed him in his tank? That's what I did with my boa when I was younger. If it's the "moving him to the feeding box" part that's the risk, and it's just a middleman, why bother with it?

PopeAK49
August 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
The reason why I feed him in a box is so that when I go grab him and handle him from his cage he won't mistake my hand for food. He's quite a nice snake when he's handled though.