PDA

View Full Version : "Mate, you kill anyone?"

rossmum
August 5th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Just found this on Youtube and thought I ought to post it (in its own thread).

What brought this up is an experience I had on the train. I'm still brand fucking new to the Army, and I'm only a reservist; I've been to four, maybe five parade nights and have yet to go through any of the training courses. One night I was coming home on the train in uniform and this kid - looked about fifteen or sixteen, seemed a bit jolly if you get me - asked if I'd ever fired a gun, and did it feel awesome. It wasn't even in the same league as "did you kill anyone", but all the same I thought it a little... ignorant, I guess. I'm a normal bloke. I enjoy shooting, yes, but I don't like people treating me differently just because I'm in uniform when they see me. I know they're just curious, but at times it can be pretty frustrating when all you want is a little peace and quiet.

Anyway, here we go:

8dJNpieHIdc
yMY_87KZpFc
CZ505b1x2As

As a footnote, anyone who bags the ADF and reckons we don't do shit can go fuck themselves.

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
You think that's bad, you wait untill a few years time and after you may have killed a few people and then get asked if you had done so and wherther you regret anything.
It's those kinds of things that can put a guy into depression.

rossmum
August 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Honestly I just wish people would take a moment to fucking think before they open their mouths. I don't mind answering sensible questions but if someone approaches me just to ask if I've fired a rifle or if I've been deployed or whatever it gets really tempting to tell them to fuck off in no uncertain terms. You don't just go up to somebody and ask them shit like that if they're a civ, so why do people reckon it's ok to walk up to a soldier and do it?

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Honestly I just wish people would take a moment to fucking think before they open their mouths. I don't mind answering sensible questions but if someone approaches me just to ask if I've fired a rifle or if I've been deployed or whatever it gets really tempting to tell them to fuck off in no uncertain terms. You don't just go up to somebody and ask them shit like that if they're a civ, so why do people reckon it's ok to walk up to a soldier and do it?
Because alot of people are fucking ignorant that sir is why people do it.
Other people just ask out of curiousity and others ask because they want to know first hand experience because they may be interested in following suit but are unsure what it entails exactly.

Kornman00
August 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
You have to realize that to some people, military is a total black box to them. All they may know about the military is from movies and TV, so when they see a 'real-live-soja', they may get this jaw-dropping mentality. They have images of heroism, patriotism, sacrifice in their heads which are triggered into their active memory when they see you in uniform. You're a novelty to them.

The thing I can't stand the most is getting praise from people. You know like 'thanks for serving' and such. After seeing the scum the American Army allowed into it's ranks to fill numbers, I felt disgusted.

I didn't know much about the Army coming in, but I thought at least after going through all the training that people would be the typical media-portrayed soldier. What the Army tries to portray in their recruiting anyway. That is, coming off the streets and being molded into this firm statue of loyalty, duty, honesty, etc. However, the chances of someone changing at the age 17 and onward in the 9 weeks they have for basic is damn near slim to none. So many people coasted through basic and MOS school. Schmucks, fuck ups, ignoramus, etc. There was a shit load of people coming out of HS/GED or college dropouts that had no disipline or maturity and sure as hell didn't gain much of any after those 9 weeks. After 8 years of learning that they can't continue to act like they're back on the block (because the army still seems to want to not want to kick people out for fucking up), then maybe they start to change for the better, but really, the same could be said for any bloke having to endure life on their own for 8 years.

Its these people who then fill the parts of your unit's internals. These are the people you have to rely on and trust with your life. These are the people the country has to depend on to defend their nation and their constitution.

I can't stand being praised because I don't feel the organization which is the American Army is fit to be held high above others who contribute to the communities they live in and serve. The majority of soldiers are just regular people wearing coordinated patterned clothing.

I also can't stand soldiers who abuse their status as a service member, and lie about their enlistment to civilians.

Thats basically why I'm bitter about civilians and their reactions, but I'm not going to snap at them for being uninformed.
[/rant]

rossmum
August 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
One of my mates told me that the US Army was lifting its standards a bit, said they were starting to do psych assessments... did they seriously not do them before?

Out of all the guys I've spoken to so far in my unit, they seem like a pretty good bunch - I've no doubts that there are some real cunts in the army (hell, I even know one of them indirectly), but I can honestly say I'm glad I joined and I'm pretty proud of it, too. That said, I'm not some sort of hero. Right now the only difference between me and a civ is that I have a uniform, I'm on the payroll, and I know more about what's going on (mainly through my own research).

I can sort of understand their mindset - I'm curious about a lot of things, and I hold vets or guys on deployment in high regard - but really, it wouldn't hurt them to take a few moments and think what they're about to say, especially if it's asking a vet if they've killed somebody.

FreedomFighter7
August 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I've asked that question to a guy on cod4, who's been to Iraq. He didn't seem to get mad. Ross, you could just answer their question with another and say: "What do you think?". They'll get the answer they're looking for and you won't have to get mad and freak out about it.

So Korn, you were in the US Army? What kind of people are you talking about? Gives us some examples. If I've touched a nerve, let me know. Sorry if I did. :D

rossmum
August 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Do you honestly think they want that brought back up if they have killed someone? Sure not all of them will take it badly, but are you willing to chance putting someone through that?

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Do you honestly think they want that brought back up if they have killed someone? Sure not all of them will take it badly, but are you willing to chance putting someone through that?
and are you willing to risk limbs being the one who brought it back up....

English Mobster
August 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was in DC a few months back. Had a hotel next to the Pentagon; saw LOTS of soldiers, some looking like they've seen too much combat for one lifetime.

I was riding on the Metro when some jackass went up to someone who was one of those types who had seen their fair share of combat (he had a fucking bullet wound on his cheek) and asked him if "he had ever killed anyone".

The guy just grunted and gave him a cold, hard, stare. The jackass shut up. Maybe you should try the same.
E: The staring part. Not the shutting up part.

Rorschach
August 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I think that cold, hard, stare only works coming from a guy like that. Otherwise it comes off as gimmicky.

Daishi
August 6th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I think the reason that most civilians ask is because to most of them, the only portrayal they see of the US military and its soldiers is what they see in the media, and we all know how accurate the media portrays things in relevance to combat. I thank the service members I see, regardless of whether or not they deserve it. I don't care what their background is, if they're willing (or willing to be forced) to help our country, they deserve some modicum of respect. It's certainly more than any one civilian is doing.

PopeAK49
August 6th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I feel the pain. My grandfather, rest his soul, fought in WW2 and my cousin made the mistake of asking how much people he killed. My grandfather just walked off and never spoke the whole day. So bringing up this stuff to certain people is really emotional to them.

English Mobster
August 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I don't think I would ever join the army; I don't have the balls to stare down the end of a rifle and actually shoot at someone. Virtual people are fine. Real people are not.

If anything, I would be in the air force. It probably would still scar me, but I'd rather not be able to see the faces of the people I'm killing.

rossmum
August 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
You have missiles and guided bombs to thank for that. Even as late as Korea and Vietnam, that wasn't always the case. One WWII P-51 pilot downed a 109, and the pilot somehow thought it would be a good idea to bail out only a hundred feet or so off the ground (I guess his plane was really fucked up). He hit the ground and actually bounced right past the Mustang. Try forgetting that one in a hurry...

Warsaw
August 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Damn son...would've been better to ride the plane down and crash land it.

Mass
August 6th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Anyone who asks "You kill anyone?" ought to be thrown down a flight of stairs. I can think of no act more likely to fuck you in the head or be more horrific to have to live with than the memory of ending the life of another human being.

Unless the person you're asking is a cold hard killer, in which case you don't want to talk to them anyway.

Bodzilla
August 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
"theres no such thing as a free high, you might be high today, but you'll be low tomorrow" is something my brother told me when talkign about drugs.

The same thing must apply to these people put into these intense emotional situations.
it's on credit and you pay for it later.
Good watch ross

Bodzilla
August 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM
If anything, I would be in the air force. It probably would still scar me, but I'd rather not be able to see the faces of the people I'm killing.
They're was a brilliant episode on mash about a guy like that.

10 000 ft is a long way to come down from, and do you think you could?

Dotkito92
August 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I've killed a lot of annoying insects deliberately, I guess I can kill someone in self defense if need be, quite easily.

n00b1n8R
August 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
They're was a brilliant episode on mash about a guy like that.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that ep.

But honestly, the way the media glorifies killing desensitise people, and that's pretty sad IMO.

Bodzilla
August 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that ep.

But honestly, the way the media glorifies killing desensitise people, and that's pretty sad IMO.
Thats because we're both fucking awesome.

<3 M*A*S*H

Mass
August 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
They're was a brilliant episode on mash

wait,

what

Bodzilla
August 8th, 2009, 03:01 AM
be careful knocking mash mister.

that shit was legendary.
still is legendary.
will always be legendary.