PDA

View Full Version : Best 1 TB External HDD?

Gamerkd16
August 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while. So far I've seen some prices for around $100. That seems like a pretty good deal for 1TB. It'd be nice to have all this size because then I could backup my hard drive and finally wipe it (and get rid of all the bugs/viruses) and also never have to worry about space issues again. Just wondering though, what's the best external HDD? Are there any downsides? I keep seeing this brand Western Digital going for cheap online but maybe it's cheap because it's poorly made. What has worked for you guys? Any suggestions? I really want to shoot for the ~$100 range.

InnerGoat
August 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Western Digital's stuff is fine. Get a MyBook and be happy.

Downside is USB2 being slow :ugh:

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Western Digital's stuff is fine. Get a MyBook and be happy.

Downside is USB2 being slow :ugh:
thats why you take the drive out the case and connect a sata cable to it:eng101:

Gamerkd16
August 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
thats why you take the drive out the case and connect a sata cable to it:eng101:
Yeah, except for the fact I want an external HDD. I don't think it's external anymore if you do that.

jcap
August 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Look for an external hard drive with an eSATA port on it. If you don't have that, get something with at least Firewire.

Atty
August 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
The MyWorld MyBook. or whatevr it is called. I can access my information from any wireless computer in my house and from the internet.

THE INTERNET.

its this new thing, google it.

paladin
August 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have a TB Mybook I think I got it for around $230, I cant remember. But for my most recent xhdd, I just bought an external enclosure @ $24.99 and a TB hdd @ $109.99.

klange
August 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
The MyWorld MyBook. or whatevr it is called. I can access my information from any wireless computer in my house and from the internet.

THE INTERNET.

its this new thing, google it.

Woopty doodles, I can access any piece of storage on any device in my network from anywhere in the world, quickly and securely, and I didn't pay a dime for that ability.

I've heard good things about the Seagate drives.

Gamerkd16
August 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Woopty doodles, I can access any piece of storage on any device in my network from anywhere in the world, quickly and securely, and I didn't pay a dime for that ability.

I've heard good things about the Seagate drives.
Actually, that would be very useful. There are so many times that I accidentally left a piece of homework home or that I wanted to access a small project or image but I had no way of getting it.

This is great guys. Thanks for the help so far. I guess I'm going to keep lurking ebay until I see something that looks like a decent buy. (I also still need to get a PayPal account.)

I assume Firewire and eSATA are just different cables that transfer data faster than USB to the HDD? Sorry, I can be a n00b when it comes to hardware.

klange
August 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Heh, no sense paying for the service when you can set it up on your own system for free, though.

For the cables, if you don't know what they are, you probably don't have them. Firewire isn't very
common on Mobos and true eSATA tends to require a PCI card.

=sw=warlord
August 6th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Yeah, except for the fact I want an external HDD. I don't think it's external anymore if you do that.
just plug in the other end of the sata cable into the Esata port and connect a power cable to the drive to power it up, fairly simple.

For the cables, if you don't know what they are, you probably don't have them. Firewire isn't very
common on Mobos and true eSATA tends to require a PCI card.
Both seem rather common on mid range motherboards the last 3 i've had, have had both firewire and Esata.
Esata can transfer arround 3gb/s if i remember correct and Esata is basicly sata2 port on the outside of the case instead of inside.
The only issue is its the hard drive itself that limits the transfer speed most hard drives can only read/write at speeds of arround 120mb/s depending on rpm of said drive.
The size of storage capacity has gone up but the file transfer speeds havent really improved much from pata from what i've been reading.

Kornman00
August 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I have two external 500GB LaCie drives which sport eSATA ports (along with FW800 which is what I use). IIRC, the 1TB models are the same.

PenGuin1362
August 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
pft 1 TB? why not get a 576TB external

http://www.equallogic.com/products/default.aspx?id=7905

Donut
August 6th, 2009, 10:53 PM
pft 1 TB? why not get a 576TB external

http://www.equallogic.com/products/default.aspx?id=7905
:lol: you may actually be able to download the internet with this

which brings me to my next point: why would you need this much storage.....:ohdear:

Gamerkd16
August 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
:lol: you may actually be able to download the internet with this

which brings me to my next point: why would you need this much storage.....:ohdear:
No where close. Google alone is in the petabytes I believe. And yeah, that amount of size would be ridiculous. It's probably for company servers.

Damn, Target had a MyBook on sale for $100 last week. I should have grabbed a raincheck. :saddowns: