PDA

View Full Version : And you thought EA was bad...

Phopojijo
August 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/kotick-i-would-raise-game-prices-higher-if-i-could-143049.phtml

TL;DR version: Activision CEO said he'd raise game prices higher if he could.

Told you guys that Activision was the true jerks to look out for -- ever since they raised the price of COD4 on the PC to match the console version (pocketing the extra 10$) back a few years ago...

Merging with Vivendi (Blizzard) just gave them the marketshare to be successful monopolistic pricks.

Mr Buckshot
August 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM
The PC version of the game could be a little bit cheaper on www.direct2drive.com (http://www.direct2drive.com) due to the lack of an optical disc.

But yeah, what an idiotic thing to say. The price of a brand new game has long been established at a max of $50-$60 USD for a standard edition, and trying to exceed that is only going to hurt sales and encourage piracy.

he'd raise game prices higher if he could

Hopefully he'll wake up and realize it's a "could not."

343guiltymc
August 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
What, are they going to put DRM on the PC version of MW2 next?

Abdurahman
August 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Probably.

Ganon
August 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM
raise the prices to develop better products of course!

cheezdue
August 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
He needs to gtfo if he could raise the game prices.

jcap
August 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
...and then they go complaining and wondering about why people pirate their games.

paladin
August 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
...and then they go complaining and wondering about why people pirate their games.

Genius

Limited
August 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM
CoD:MF2 is already £10 more than any one game, its now £55, which is $92 dollars. This is the regular version I'm talking about, basic one.

So yeah they want more money, EA is still worse though.

Phopojijo
August 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/wow.jpg

Can we get any more?

Limited
August 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM
You played it to start with? Booo Phoji.

But congrats on getting your life back, have some +rep to celebrate.

Phopojijo
August 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Ehh, I played it for like a month.

Was boring except for fucking with people at the auction house.

Limited
August 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Only takes one day to get addicted Phoji, then'd we'd never see you again.

Phopojijo
August 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Only takes one day to get addicted Phoji, then'd we'd never see you again.Nah I don't get addicted to videogames. (Unless you count considering the medium as a whole as a legitimate lifestyle... but not any game in particular.)

annihilation
August 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
The gaming industry is doing very well right now. What evil person would do such a thing!?

Limited
August 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM
The gaming industry is doing very well right now. What evil person would do such a thing!?
"Very well?" I agree it has had a worse time within the recession but I wouldnt call it very well.

Although I get tremendous fun from video games, $90 is a bit steep considering like 3 games equals the price of the console. Which was over priced even then.

flibitijibibo
August 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I think he was joking, Limited.

Also, I'll never pay more than $50 for a game, ever. If that means prices do increase, I guess I'll be sticking to sales/waiting for a price drop.

annihilation
August 7th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I wasn't joking. It's a fact that video games are doing pretty good today. I may have made an over statment when I said "very well" But it is doing quite good for being in the shitty economy.

Bodzilla
August 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM
arnt video games one of the industry's fairing best in the current economy.

but fuck sake i walked into harvey norman today and had a look at some of the PC games for sale.

UT3 bought off the shelf was...
wait for it....

$119.99

i wish i was fucking joking. theres a dam good reason i've plugged and supported steam, but with that fucking BULLSHIT with fallout 3...... i feel like i'm being pushed into a dark corner.

Kornman00
August 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah, they're fairing the best with all the layoffs and studio closures [/sarcasm]

Although I get tremendous fun from video games, $90 is a bit steep considering like 3 games equals the price of the console. Which was over priced even then.
Don't pull that conversion rate shit. You live in Britian's economy and thus have the pound for your currency...which is "worth" more than the USD. So don't be trying that shit :eyesroll:

jcap
August 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
i wish i was fucking joking. theres a dam good reason i've plugged and supported steam, but with that fucking BULLSHIT with fallout 3...... i feel like i'm being pushed into a dark corner.
Wait, what happened with Fallout 3?

Bodzilla
August 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Regional pricing.

it was another $20 AMERICAN for no reason other then my zip code.

Dotkito92
August 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Regional pricing.

it was another $20 AMERICAN for no reason other then my zip code.

Learn to spell, god damn. The words "then" and "than" are very different.

If Activision wants to raise prices, I just won't buy the game, that's all. Or I might split the cost with a friend.

English Mobster
August 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm going to call it:
Things like these will plunge these giant home consoles into a DEEP hole when people just stop buying. It'll be the second video game crash, and the only part of the industry which will survive would be the iPhone developers.
Then, we'll have to deal with Apple, though, who will be getting 30% of all profits from said iTunes developers and is already becoming the "Evil Empire" (Google "iTunes Palm Pre"), taking over Micro$oft's former place.

Fuck it, let's just all start our own gaming company on a win console.

paladin
August 8th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I'm going to call it:
Things like these will plunge these giant home consoles into a DEEP hole when people just stop buying. It'll be the second video game crash, and the only part of the industry which will survive would be the iPhone developers.
Then, we'll have to deal with Apple, though, who will be getting 30% of all profits from said iTunes developers and is already becoming the "Evil Empire" (Google "iTunes Palm Pre"), taking over Micro$oft's former place.

Fuck it, let's just all start our own gaming company on a win console. PC

ftfy.

Donut
August 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM
^http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/TheKillerDonut/Second.jpg^

ICEE and i are actually trying to get a little multi player game off the ground using the unity engine