PDA

View Full Version : Halo Movie... by Steven Spielberg?

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Didn't see anything up about it yet, so here:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7261:iesb-exclusive-master-chief-and-halo-may-be-coming-to-the-big-screen-sooner-than-expected-with-a-new-big-name-producer&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73

Well this is interesting. No idea if it's legit or not, but I'll definitely be keeping track of this one. If it does work out, maybe we'll get a Halo movie after all.:neckbeard:

STLRamsFan
August 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Don't replace the guns with walkie talkies please. :gonk:

Seriously though, I'll believe it when I see it. If it comes true, I just hope it's worth all the hype it would get.

Heathen
August 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
But I thought the district 9 guy was doing it.

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
But I thought the district 9 guy was doing it.

Originally Peter Jackson was going to Produce, and Niel Blomkamp was going to direct. Unfortunately, after about 5 months of work on the project, studio negotiations fell through between Fox and Universal, and the project died. The two then went on to make District 9, instead of the Halo movie.

This is the first hint of a second chance at the movie.

=sw=warlord
August 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I swear if they make this into a kiddies film im going into learning how to use firearms correctly.
I guess il make it long ranged weapons a priority as well...

Daishi
August 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I hope it isn't just a CGIization of the books. Considering that the names are pretty much the same, I have no reason to think that they won't be. I'd go see it when/if it comes out, but honestly...until it's out, no hopes held.

NullZero
August 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) Server at www.iesb.net Port 80

?

Daishi
August 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
HALO, the wildly popular video games (http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7261:iesb-exclusive-master-chief-and-halo-may-be-coming-to-the-big-screen-sooner-than-expected-with-a-new-big-name-producer&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73#) that follow Master Chief, a cybernetically-enhanced human super-soldier, and his artificial intelligence (AI) companion, Cortana as they aide future humanity in battling the Covenant, a theocratic alliance of alien races, may be coming to the big screen much sooner than we expected. IESB has learned exclusively (believe me this is solid and I've confirmed it three times over with studio executives and our close ties to CAA) that one of the biggest producers in Hollywood history is currently in active negotiations to develop the feature film adaptation and no it's not Jerry Bruckheimer or Peter Jackson. It's the man behind Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones and Transformers, Mr. Steven Spielberg.
Spielberg is blown away by writer Stuart Beattie's take on the game in his script entitled HALO THE FALL OF REACH. This coupled with the fact that his Dreamworks umbrella is looking for a big tent pole to help launch their newly independant studio with distribution over at Walt Disney Pictures after losing Transformers to Paramount in the separation, it's the perfect combination.
Also, Spielberg is a huge gaming fan. His prodigal star Shia LaBeouf has been quoted (http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_6811) talking about Spielberg being stuck on the 15th level of BioShock recently,
"I get there and stick my head in to ask if he's ready-and this is classic Spielberg-he says, ‘Nope, Shia. I'm trapped!' " LaBeouf then starts playing both parts-concerned protégé and faraway mentor:
"You're trapped? Steven, what are you talking about?"
"I'm trapped back here. Follow my voice."
"Where are you?"
"Over here... Here... Here!"
LaBeouf kept following the calls until he got to the director's office. And there was the master himself: shoes off, socks on, dressed in shooting gear, but sitting behind a computer, stuck on the fifteenth level of a first-person shooter called BioShock.
"This is like months to get to this level, and he can't get past this one little mysterious spider god, and he's losing his mind. He's like, ‘I can't do it, Shia! I can't do it.' "
Word is CAA, who rep both Spielberg and Beattie, is pushing these negotiations heavily.
HALO belongs to Microsoft and they own all rights to a feature film and happen to have a great relationship with the producer who even unveiled their lastest gaming technology Project Natal (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/projectnatal/) at the E3 Expo earlier this year. It doesn't hurt to have Bill Gates as a good friend so I hear.
Stuart Beattie, the writer behind the new concept that Spielberg loves, was quite busy during the 2007 writer's strike when he wrote the script on spec based on the storyline from Eric Nyland's prequel novel to HALO, THE FALL OF REACH. Beattie is also hot off the summer (http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7261:iesb-exclusive-master-chief-and-halo-may-be-coming-to-the-big-screen-sooner-than-expected-with-a-new-big-name-producer&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73#) hit G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA which he co-wrote with director Stephen Sommers and others. During the promotional tour for that film, he told Scifi.com (http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/why-stuart-beattie-believ.php) that the HALO story is, "an amazing story about this child that no one cares about and who cares for no one else, who kind of ends up saving all of humanity."
Back on April Fools Day of 2008, Latino Review (http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-halo-movie-has-reach-4305) broke the news of the new Beattie script and had a write up on what it was all about,
The script is, first and foremost, a character-driven story about a soldier named John who was kidnapped or "conscripted" by the UNSC when he was just six years old, and then brutally trained to become an elite Spartan warrior known as Master Chief 117.

The script then takes us through the horrific first contact with the Covenant hordes on the doomed colony world of Harvest, and then climaxes with the spectacular fall of the UNSC forward base on Reach, during which every other Spartan is slaughtered.

The script also gives detailed outlines for the second movie, HALO: RISE OF THE FLOOD, which takes place entirely on the Halo ringworld, and the third and final movie, HALO: BATTLE FOR EARTH, which roughly follows the events of Halo 3, the game.

One cool advantage of this first script is that (like the shark in JAWS) you don't even see the Covenant until halfway through the movie. And because all the creatures are CGI creations, this cuts the budget down dramatically and makes a first Halo movie that much more viable. For Halo fans, it's like the prequel that provides all the answers to questions they've thought about for years. For non Halo fans, it's an exciting action movie that provides a clear, concise introduction to a world five hundred years in the future with relatable characters and a terrifying alien menace.
The site also posted 5 pieces of concept art that Beattie came up with to illustrate his vision for the franchise.
Recently, sites have been reporting that the HALO project is completely dead after it halted under the guidance of Peter Jackson and director Neil Blomkamp with 20th Century Fox distributing.
But with Spielberg now in active negotiations, this shit is about to get real!
With Spielberg possibly in the producer's chair (if God willing these negotiations work out), who would be his first choice to direct HALO? Sound off in our comments section below!
Stay tuned to the IESB for future HALO news!

Copy/pasted from the source.

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
?

Try again- it loads for me still.

Edit: Thanks for the full repost, Daishi. I think the names of the second two movies are a little cheesy, but they probably couldn't have called them "Halo 1, 2, and 3", could they? Of course, that could always change or not happen at all.

NullZero
August 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
thanks daishi

yeah, still not loading for me :(

hope this film will be worthwhile

Warsaw
August 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Coolio.

However, I'm tired of everyone/thing calling the Chief "cybernetically enhanced." He's no more "cybernetically enhanced" than any normal UNSC serviceman/woman...he's biologically enhanced. He's just got a piece of kickass armour to go with him.

Rob Oplawar
August 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm torn. On the one hand, I love Spielberg and his older films, and I love The Fall of Reach. On the other hand, I would much prefer Peter Jackson and Blomkamp's take on Halo, and Transformers and the latest Indiana Jones were so terrible...
I swear--and I'm not just saying this about myself but about all the devoted fans out there--if this movie is made and it turns out like Transformers or has Master Chief played by Shia LeBeouf, there will be blood. And trust me, if Spielberg makes it, that no-talent pretty boy is gonna be in it.

Daishi
August 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM
thanks daishi

yeah, still not loading for me :(

hope this film will be worthwhile
no problem mate.

Yea, I *hope* they don't mess it up, because it would be awesome to see it all in epic CGI, but honestly, something will get lost in translation.

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I'm torn. On the one hand, I love Spielberg and his older films, and I love The Fall of Reach. On the other hand, I would much prefer Peter Jackson and Blomkamp's take on Halo, and Transformers and the latest Indiana Jones were so terrible...

Yes.

I swear--and I'm not just saying this about myself but about all the devoted fans out there--if this movie is made and it turns out like Transformers or has Master Chief played by Shia LeBeouf, there will be blood. And trust me, if Spielberg makes it, that no-talent pretty boy is gonna be in it.

:gonk: Oh god... I haven't considered those unfortunate possibilities. I'll join you in the bloodletting if it turns out that way.

Corndogman
August 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Don't hate on Shia Lebouf! Go watch some Even Steven's before you say anything.

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 01:51 PM
He was good in Even Stevens. I guess I'd say it's the movies he's been in, not he himself, though on that logic path you could hypothesize that they were bad because he was in them. Guess I shouldn't judge until I see the movie.

jcap
August 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM
They should make the Moden Warfare series into a movie...not this Halo shit. That would be fucking badass.

=sw=warlord
August 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
They should make the Moden Warfare series into a movie...not this Halo shit. That would be fucking badass.
No need, you can mini episodes already.
It's called Fox news.

Coolio.

However, I'm tired of everyone/thing calling the Chief "cybernetically enhanced." He's no more "cybernetically enhanced" than any normal UNSC serviceman/woman...he's biologically enhanced. He's just got a piece of kickass armour to go with him.
Other than that he has a fully cybernetic exoskeleton suit that increases his strenth enough that he can flip 60 tonne tanks.

Alwin Roth
August 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Steven spielburg is one of my favorite directors, so this movie will be good... I hope

kid908
August 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Steven spielburg is one of my favorite directors, so this movie will be good... I hope

Is he directing or producing Halo?

=sw=warlord
August 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Master Chief played by Shia LeBeouf, there will be blood. And trust me, if Spielberg makes it, that no-talent pretty boy is gonna be in it.
I think the bungie staff would be at the front of the line with their axes and pitch forks for showing johns face. they spend 3 games with a mystic about who the master chief is and some dumb ass toples it all with some pretty boy.

kid908
August 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
They might as well have MC as a full CGI since all you going to see is the armour. Marines will prob be real human cast while the entire covenant and Master Chief will be CGI.

BobtheGreatII
August 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
They might as well have MC as a full CGI since all you going to see is the armour. Marines will prob be real human cast while the entire covenant and Master Chief will be CGI.

That is not ok. :gonk:

n00b1n8R
August 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
They could do the whole thing as a CGI to fit in with the games. :downs:
Or they could take the "300" aproach and blend them really well (a little stylisation wouldn't hurt here).

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Is he directing or producing Halo?

Assuming that article is accurate, producing.

Corndogman
August 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I agree with n00b, they gotta blend it well. honestly though, if the cgi looks as good as the Halo Wars cutscenes, I'll be happy

Con
August 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM
If this happens, I'm confident he can pull it off well.

Dwood
August 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Spielberg is producing it Okay? Just like he 'produced' Transformers, but Michael Bay directed. Oh BTW I hope the director is NOT Michael Bay.

Terry
August 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I never understood why they don't just make a complete CGI movie. It's the only way I can see it not sucking.

Higuy
August 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Making it like those short's they did a while ago would be cool, but having them as like halowars cutscenes would be really nice too.

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I never understood why they don't just make a complete CGI movie. It's the only way I can see it not sucking.

If the script is good and the actors are also god, I think it would be awesome to have a live action movie. We've had so much all-cg stuff that I just wouldn't be all that interested.

klange
August 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
If the script is good and the actors are also god, I think it would be awesome to have a live action movie. We've had so much all-cg stuff that I just wouldn't be all that interested.
That's not going to happen :raise:, and type-o though it may be, that's what it would take.

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
That's not going to happen :raise:

Hahaha. Epic typo FTW. :iamafag:

Atty
August 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I've seen two names in this thread that have made me cry. Michel Bay and Shia Lefaggot. If either of them come within two inches of this movie (ironically, the same size as both of their penises put together) I will have to kill someone.

n00b1n8R
August 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM
f either of them come within two inches of this movie (ironically, the same size as both of their penises put together) I will have to kill someone.
You're really gota stop projecting, man. :realsmug:

Darkness
August 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
A guy over at the 405th is creating a fan film called operation Chastity.
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15267

Rob Oplawar
August 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
It's more than just "a guy", and it's shaping up to be really cool. They have some truly fantastic concept art. Whether or not it will translate to reality is a different question.
http://operationchastity.com/

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah, the concept art is gorgeous, and the warthog is pretty cool as well. If they ever release it I'm sure it will be popular and probably pretty good.

Dwood
August 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have confirmed it's going to be directed by STUART BEATTIE, whoever he is.

Siliconmaster
August 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I have confirmed it's going to be directed by STUART BEATTIE, whoever he is.

Sauce? Also, he's the guy who wrote the new script. Has he directed anything else?

Atty
August 9th, 2009, 12:12 AM
You're really gota stop projecting, man. :realsmug::saddowns:

Aerowyn
August 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM

That's exactly what I'm saying about the Metal Gear Solid movie, too. :maddowns:

Rorschach
August 9th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I saw this earlier. After his recent years (War of the Worlds, IJ4, Transformers), this guy better be bringing his A-game (Anything he did in the vicinity of the 80's). Hopefully Jackson's still on board, as they are currently working on Tintin together. I don't trust him for quality without Jackson to keep him on track. And with all the praise District 9 is getting, I hope to god Blomkamp reconsiders his decision to turn down directing the movie. The only thing I hope for is that they bring Joe Staten and some Bungie guys on board as consultants for the cinematography and editing. And Marty O'Donnell of course.

And then there's this Beattie guy. What the hell are his credentials? The Curse of the Black Pearl and G.I. Joe? I don't want him near my Halo unless he is indeed the wiz of Halo's canon he's reported to be. Even though I wasn't a real fan of Garland's script, I'd still rather have him on board for a project like this.

Fuckin' Avatar is 90% CGI, and people who've seen previews say it's 100% photoreal. In a post-Avatar world, a fully-CG Halo movie would'nt even have to look it was CGI, and not just like Beowulf or Wall-E.

Warsaw
August 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
No need, you can mini episodes already.
It's called Fox news.

Other than that he has a fully cybernetic exoskeleton suit that increases his strenth enough that he can flip 60 tonne tanks.

It's not cybernetic you scrub. If it were, it would be physically grafted into his nervous system and biology, but it it's not. It's just a suit of armour.

Also, I second the notion that Halo should be complete CGI. That's the only way to do it. If you use live-action, it looks too much like Starship Troopers and is thus comical and can't be taken seriously at all.

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
The suit interfaces directly with his brain.

Rorschach
August 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
It's not cybernetic you scrub. If it were, it would be physically grafted into his nervous system and biology, but it it's not. It's just a suit of armour.A Spartan has a neural interface and a pituitary stimulation implant, and the suit has feedback sensory on vitals and biofoam injectors. It's rudimentarily cybernetic.

Also, I second the notion that Halo should be complete CGI. That's the only way to do it. If you use live-action, it looks too much like Starship Troopers and is thus comical and can't be taken seriously at all.Hey, for every Starship Troopers and G.I. Joe, there's an Iron Man, Avatar, or a District 9 right around the corner.

paladin
August 9th, 2009, 02:48 AM

this

=sw=warlord
August 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It's not cybernetic you scrub. If it were, it would be physically grafted into his nervous system and biology, but it it's not. It's just a suit of armour.

Also, I second the notion that Halo should be complete CGI. That's the only way to do it. If you use live-action, it looks too much like Starship Troopers and is thus comical and can't be taken seriously at all.
Way to be uneducated.

=theosaurus]cy·borg (shttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifbôrghttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif)n. A human who has certain physiological processes aided or controlled by mechanical or electronic devices.
The suit interfaces with his biological body, sends signals to his brain and enhances his body functions [strenth, speed, sight, hearing] therefore he is a cyborg and that suit is cybernetic.
Technicaly someone wearing glasses or a hearing aid could be classed as cyborg as they use technology to enhance their abilities beyond what their natural body is capable off.
Don't fucking tell me about cybernetics when you have no idea yourself.
I didn't go into electronics engineering just for the pretty advanced diploma.

Arteen
August 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
So make another generic real-world war movie? Boring. I'd rather see another generic space marine movie. :)

Mr Buckshot
August 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM
If it's gonna be live action, I don't have much faith in it, looking at the quality of the Doom, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider movies. Most live action movies based on video games haven't been very good.

I second any pro-CGI opinion here. In fact, there was a CGI Resident Evil movie called Degeneration that tied in directly with the video games (with Claire Redfield and Leon Kennedy as the main characters), and it was significantly better than the live action Resident Evil movies.

Rob Oplawar
August 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I was pro-CGI until I saw Jackson and Blomkamp's shorts. Done properly, live action adds that element of realism and humanity that I find lacking in the games. Don't get me wrong, I love the stylization over "realism", and something along the lines of 300 (but nowhere near that extreme) would be epic for such a Halo film, but when I say realism I mean more... impact, I guess. Something that it's easier to get engrossed in.

The reason live action Doom, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider are so terrible is because those games barely have any characterization in them at all. Halo, on the other hand, has an extremely rich set of backstories, and has potential to make a very real, believable, and sympathetic set of characters.

PopeAK49
August 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Tom Cruise is going to be the 5ft 6in master chief.

killer9856
August 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Oh wow good news :D

Alwin Roth
August 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Tom Cruise is going to be the 5ft 6in master chief.

Oh god i can picture his crazy smile reflecting through the visor...

jngrow
August 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I saw this earlier. After his recent years (War of the Worlds, IJ4, Transformers), this guy better be bringing his A-game (Anything he did in the vicinity of the 80's). Hopefully Jackson's still on board, as they are currently working on Tintin together. I don't trust him for quality without Jackson to keep him on track. And with all the praise District 9 is getting, I hope to god Blomkamp reconsiders his decision to turn down directing the movie. The only thing I hope for is that they bring Joe Staten and some Bungie guys on board as consultants for the cinematography and editing. And Marty O'Donnell of course.

And then there's this Beattie guy. What the hell are his credentials? The Curse of the Black Pearl and G.I. Joe? I don't want him near my Halo unless he is indeed the wiz of Halo's canon he's reported to be. Even though I wasn't a real fan of Garland's script, I'd still rather have him on board for a project like this.

Fuckin' Avatar is 90% CGI, and people who've seen previews say it's 100% photoreal. In a post-Avatar world, a fully-CG Halo movie would'nt even have to look it was CGI, and not just like Beowulf or Wall-E.

Blomkamp didn't really turn the movie down, he and Jackson were both very enthused to do it, but nobody else could get their shit together (fox), so they said fuck it, well make District 9 instead.

And Microsoft's 343 industries (headed by Frank O'Connor) will be working closely to make sure canon stays on track.

But yeah, director makes me skeptical. And aside from the marines, why wouldn't it be like 90% CG?

Heathen
August 11th, 2009, 05:14 AM

I agree with this. Minus the blabla about lebouf.

Heathen
August 11th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Blomkamp didn't really turn the movie down, he and Jackson were both very enthused to do it, but nobody else could get their shit together (fox), so they said fuck it, well make District 9 instead.

And Microsoft's 343 industries (headed by Frank O'Connor) will be working closely to make sure canon stays on track.

But yeah, director makes me skeptical. And aside from the marines, why wouldn't it be like 90% CG?

Just look at blomkamps halo 3 live action shorts. Only cg was the rocket, which looked good, the banshee, which looked good, and brutes which IMO looked terrible, but Im sure he would do it right this time.

And on the topic of cg. Honestly, the chief will prolly be cg mostly. Any action scenes would be a pain in the ass to do in the suit. They just needa sprinkle in some style and talent and itl look fine.

Though fox is having fun walking on some thin ice. First dragonball and now halo. If they fuck this one up they might have riots.

Siliconmaster
August 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Well, it would be Dreamworks this time around, not fox. Fox did screw it up.

=sw=warlord
August 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Just look at blomkamps halo 3 live action shorts. Only cg was the rocket, which looked good, the banshee, which looked good, and brutes which IMO looked terrible, but Im sure he would do it right this time.

And on the topic of cg. Honestly, the chief will prolly be cg mostly. Any action scenes would be a pain in the ass to do in the suit. They just needa sprinkle in some style and talent and itl look fine.

Though fox is having fun walking on some thin ice. First dragonball and now halo. If they fuck this one up they might have riots.
If they used the same cg effects team as those who did the starry night trailer it could be interesting.

Alwin Roth
August 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well if the chief is CGI, then they could hire:
Steve Downes

Dwood
August 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Don't forget Eragon as one of Fox's biggest screw-ups ever.

=sw=warlord
August 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Well if the chief is CGI, then they could hire:
Steve Downes
They could anyways, it's called voice overs.

English Mobster
August 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, since Chief is in a suit, he could have voice-over work done, Darth Vader-style.

English Mobster
August 11th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Uhhh...
http://kotaku.com/5334508/microsoft-halo-movie-still-on-hold

Alwin Roth
August 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2009/08/504x_halomovie.jpg

what's this from?

sdavis117
August 11th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Halo Wars I believe.

Delta4907
August 11th, 2009, 07:45 PM
It's one of the concept art works (another is in the link above) done for Stuart Beattie's take on the script, iirc.

BobtheGreatII
August 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Spartans seem to be a little heavy to be standing on a satellite. Or is that just me?

Jean-Luc
August 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
If that was how the movie would actually look, I would refuse to see it. CGI is complete shit there, as is the use of good design. I'm praying that the actual movie will be better.

Siliconmaster
August 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
If that was how the movie would actually look, I would refuse to see it. CGI is complete shit there, as is the use of good design. I'm praying that the actual movie will be better.

K, concept art. For a script. Whatever movie ends up coming out of it, if any, won't be the concept art. That's just to hype interest in it. Therefore, of course the CGI is shit. :eng101:

Clarify your meaning of "design."

Jean-Luc
August 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
1) Too chaotic
2) Needs better "blocking" of dark and light values
3) Bad camera angle

Also, if you're going to do concept art, paint the sumbitch :maddowns:

Siliconmaster
August 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Ok, I can see that. Still, I wouldn't hold it against the script. :P

SnaFuBAR
August 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
pretty sure that's just a shit render i saw years ago at halomods.

Siliconmaster
August 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM
http://kotaku.com/5041743/look-at-this-new-halo-movie-concept-art.

Also, here (http://kotaku.com/5033138/second-halo-movie-script-lives-long-enough-to-generate-concept-art), here (http://kotaku.com/5036348/more-halo-movie-concept-art), and here (http://kotaku.com/5044631/more-halo-movie-concept-art-endless).

TomClancy
August 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Here's (http://www.latinoreview.com//images/upload/movieimages/full_movieimage_18037.jpg) a higher res of #2.

I believe John is the one on the top of those wooden poles ringing the bell. (Just like in the book, that obstacle course.)

Heathen
August 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
If they used the same cg effects team as those who did the starry night trailer it could be interesting.

yeh

=sw=warlord
August 12th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Sparrow hawk.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6024/screenhunter01aug121115.jpg

Alwin Roth
August 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Here's (http://www.latinoreview.com//images/upload/movieimages/full_movieimage_18037.jpg) a higher res of #2.

I believe John is the one on the top of those wooden poles ringing the bell. (Just like in the book, that obstacle course.)

halo: the fall of reach, when i read it, i pictured the "playground" to be more like an ewok type, with platforms around trees, and ropeswings, and such.

Advancebo
August 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM
halo: the fall of reach, when i read it, i pictured the "playground" to be more like an ewok type, with platforms around trees, and ropeswings, and such.

yeah i thought it would be bigger.

MarcyOne
August 12th, 2009, 11:08 PM
One cool advantage of this first script is that (like the shark in JAWS) you don't even see the Covenant until halfway through the movie. And because all the creatures are CGI creations, this cuts the budget down dramatically and makes a first Halo movie that much more viable. For Halo fans, it's like the prequel that provides all the answers to questions they've thought about for years. For non Halo fans, it's an exciting action movie that provides a clear, concise introduction to a world five hundred years in the future with relatable characters and a terrifying alien menace.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59905

jngrow
August 13th, 2009, 02:16 AM
This. Exactly this.

Alwin Roth
August 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
When he makes the floods appear, he should suddenly change it into a horror/sci-fi.

Syuusuke
August 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM
It's already half of that... sci-fi.

sig

Warsaw
August 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
This. Exactly this.

I agree as well...movie is ruining my imagination already. :gonk:.

Siliconmaster
August 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Interesting. Maybe I just need to read the book again, but that's pretty much how I imagined it, albeit a little larger in scale. As a concept drawing it's close enough to my visualization that I'm ok with it.

TomClancy
August 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
^ Same.

Rob Oplawar
August 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
TBH, when I read it, I pictured a children's playground, with like that cushy padding stuff they put in modern playgrounds. I'm such a spoiled city-goer with no imagination. :<

Alwin Roth
August 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
TBH, when I read it, I pictured a children's playground, with like that cushy padding stuff they put in modern playgrounds. I'm such a spoiled city-goer with no imagination. :<

did you also picture a nice set of red swings?
(why the hell are swings always red)

Rob Oplawar
August 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM
did you also picture a nice set of red swings?
I did. :aaaaa:

Alwin Roth
August 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM
there red because this happened: :suicide:

Rorschach
August 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Blomkamp didn't really turn the movie down, he and Jackson were both very enthused to do it, but nobody else could get their shit together (fox), so they said fuck it, well make District 9 instead
Wrong. Although District 9 was the collaboration that grew out of the fertilizer of the Halo movie, once District 9 started getting great reviews a few weeks back there was new interest in Blomkamp for directing Halo again. He responded to the attention by saying that it was something he had a great attachment to, but he would probably turn down the opportunity to step back in if given the chance.

Your thinking of the render Veegie made of the New Mombasa level in Halo 2 called "Bloody Sunday".

These images (as people have linked to already) were made by Kasra Farahani, a professional concept artist who had also worked on Spider-Man 3. He made the concepts as promotion for Beattie's script.

Siliconmaster
August 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Wrong. Although District 9 was the collaboration that grew out of the fertilizer of the Halo movie, once District 9 started getting great reviews a few weeks back there was new interest in Blomkamp for directing Halo again. He responded to the attention by saying that it was something he had a great attachment to, but he would probably turn down the opportunity to step back in if given the chance.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure jmgrow was referring to initially- Blomkamp was going to do it, but it fell apart. You are right, however, that this time around he doesn't seem to be very enthused.