PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Military?

Dwood
August 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM
As most of us here are ~17-24 years of age, so I have a question for you. Do you plan on joining the military? If so, what branches (of your respective military) would you wish to join?

If you don't want to join the military, what keeps you from wanting to/actually joining?

Roostervier
August 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
i dont think im going to, but if i had to choose, id be a marine. i dont really want to get shot and die or have to run a few miles every morning just to warm up, so yeah

Kalub
August 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I've been contemplating it. I would join the Air Force. So far the only thing that is stopping me is not knowing what I want to do with my life.

Sel
August 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I'm in line to get into csis!

=sw=warlord
August 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
No i wouldn't join under any circumstances volintarily or other wise.

kid908
August 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I'm prob not going to join. If I were, I would join air force and be a fighter pilot. Unfortunately I can't be a fighter pilot because you need 20/20 vision to be one, unless it changed.

Daishi
August 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
i dont think im going to, but if i had to choose, id be a marine. i dont really want to get shot and die or have to run a few miles every morning just to warm up, so yeah
Wait, you don't want to get shot at or do PT to wake up, but you'd join the marines? That's backwards mate.

I am absolutely going to join an armed force. I'm going into my senior year of NJROTC, and am set to get into A&M through the ROTC scholarship program. I want to go marines...but my parents aren't fond of frontline combat which they do a lot of. So, I'm probably going to end up doing either Navy or Coast Guard.

n00b1n8R
August 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Honestly, I might join the reserves at some point in the future (like 5 years) as a part-time but probably not.
It's not an impossibility though.

Corndogman
August 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Not likely, but if I were to, I'd join the airforce and go to engineering school, then just work on the planes. I wouldn't be allowed to fly because of my eye-sight, but I'd much prefer that over being on the ground getting shot.

CN3089
August 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/booth11.gif

Roostervier
August 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Wait, you don't want to get shot at or do PT to wake up, but you'd join the marines? That's backwards mate.

I am absolutely going to join an armed force. I'm going into my senior year of NJROTC, and am set to get into A&M through the ROTC scholarship program. I want to go marines...but my parents aren't fond of frontline combat which they do a lot of. So, I'm probably going to end up doing either Navy or Coast Guard.
i know, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt do it. just that i wouldnt want to.

Daishi
August 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
ah. ok. So I went on the CG website today and looked up all the possible jobs...the first one I really noticed was RH60 Turret Operator...Apparently using the M2 .50 Caliber MG on each side of the RH60 is a specific MOS.

Dwood
August 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Picture

Kyon this isn't a Military HATE thread. Go make your own.

Kalub
August 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Selentic?

Dwood
August 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Selentic?

I forget who's who.

Kalub
August 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking Kyon is CNNUMBERS, pretty sure you just got trolled.

Dwood
August 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Yeh. But at these forums you never know. There are some people judging by the poll, and other past fun encounters (why my rep is still so low lol) that do believe something like that for real.

Rosco
August 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
no cn is not kyon

cn is robert graham

I wouldn't join the military. I've had thoughts but ultimately, no.

Kalub
August 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The fag?

And why not, I mean after a while all the smoke they blow up your ass starts to make you feel good about the decision.

ChemicalFizz
August 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, and it's a decision that I didn't see myself coming across a few years back. However, I don't know if officership is considered joining the military, because I've applied to the Air Force and Army service academies, and if those fail, I've also applied to the AROTC and Army ROTC programs. If I don't get into any of those 4, then my last decision is to enlist directly through a recruiter. My cousins are on active duty in the navy right now, so I just felt an obligation. If I were asked what influenced me... I'd have to say either my AP US history teacher and the course itself, or my 2 cousins. Unfortunately, my parents are REALLY against all of my decisions, except for the two service academies, because what parent wouldn't be happy about a college like West Point...

Heck, I even saw several of the GoArmy commercials on TV and I'll admit it, for the dumbass that I am, I was quite moved. Sue me.

Kalub
August 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
The only reason I see myself joining the Air Force is because of my love for technology and my wanting to be something in life. I will never get that without someone to foot the bill, and it won't be anyone I know. I'd like to be an engineer or something like that. Who knows though.

Maniac
August 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I would if the country i live in was in danger, but there havnt been any "necessary" wars in a long time.

Dotkito92
August 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'm joining for a full-time career, war or no war. I'm kinda excited to actually fight for my country if need be though. Maybe if we invade North Korea or China, I'll be able to get some real action for once.

Cojafoji
August 8th, 2009, 09:56 PM
my family doesn't have a good track record with the military. my grandfather was a first lieutenant in the army air core in CBI during ww2. he was demoted to private for busting up some colonels face. not like drunk and belligerent style, just, "you want me to do WHAT?" in a non-life threatening situation.

anyway... I don't take orders well, and I'm VERY independent. i'd have the same problem with authority that my grandfather had, and since i'm twice his size, and pack three times the wallop when it comes to punching and fighting, that'd be a bad thing.

p0lar_bear
August 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Absolutely not. With my klutzy track record, in any military position I'd consider myself a hazard to myself and others.

Atty
August 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I've considered joining a branch of the military as a boost for my F.B.I. resume but I've decided against it, at least, for the moment. If I did I'd do it after I had my four year degree and go in as an officer.

Darkness
August 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I think about army/marines as it crosses my mind every once in a while. The thing is that its an 8 year commitment. With Marines you're first in last out. With army your tour of duty is a lot longer.
I say to play it safe navy is best an air force is second best. If you're navy you don't have to worry much because not many countries have a big navy. With Air force you just fly out do your mission and return to base.

Rob Oplawar
August 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I've been considering the Air Force, Marines, or Navy, with the ultimate goal of being a pilot. It's a tough decision to consider, given the commitment, effort, and risk involved versus the awesomeness of the payoff and the opportunities it would give me on down the line.

klange
August 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I would never survive bootcamp. I'm a skinny-white-boy hacker (in the old sense of the term).

Varmint260
August 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Nah, I wouldn't enlist in the military. However, I am in the "ring of qualified candidates" for a job with the Dept of National Defense to be a civilian mechanic working on base. That's as close to the military as I'd want to be.

Daishi
August 8th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I've been considering the Air Force, Marines, or Navy, with the ultimate goal of being a pilot. It's a tough decision to consider, given the commitment, effort, and risk involved versus the awesomeness of the payoff and the opportunities it would give me on down the line.
If you're doing it to be a pilot, the army (wtf?) is actually where you ought to go. (unless you're into jets, in which case go navy) The thing is, there's only a few pilot spots in the air force per-capita. Also, if you look at other armed-forces drop-out rates for their air programs, the army has the lowest ones. Plus, you get to do badass helicopters. :D

Rob Oplawar
August 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I'm interested in jets, mostly. One more year and I'll have a college degree, and I am (or was at the beginning of the summer) in pretty good shape, I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, and I can be extremely devoted to something I think is worthwhile. If I joined the Navy or the Marines I think I might stand a good chance of flying jets within a few years. Is it worth it? That's what I've been trying to figure out.

Man, there's nothing I would love to have more than a badge that says I can fly a fighter jet. Well, except maybe a girlfriend. D:

rossmum
August 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Already have. Don't regret my decision at all.

Honestly, I might join the reserves at some point in the future (like 5 years) as a part-time but probably not.
It's not an impossibility though.
:haw:

Move down here bro, come join 2/17 RNSWR so we can be an awesome team

ah. ok. So I went on the CG website today and looked up all the possible jobs...the first one I really noticed was RH60 Turret Operator...Apparently using the M2 .50 Caliber MG on each side of the RH60 is a specific MOS.
Surely there's SOMETHING involved other than that? Seems a little silly to get that specific...

Daishi
August 8th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Surely there's SOMETHING involved other than that? Seems a little silly to get that specific...
Nope. That is the only thing it specifies. Aside from the standard "pass basic training, be able to perform first aid" stuff, the entire job is to man the fifties on the 'hawks.

Rob Oplawar
August 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM
The main reason I'm so hesitant to join is because my best friend joined the Air Force, did astoundingly well on all his tests, was promised a job giving pilots survival training (for when they're shot down over enemy lines), and now operates a turret in an MRAP. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear, but you're still gonna end up doing whatever they need at the time, and the US doesn't really need pilots at the moment as far as I know.

Ganon
August 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I'd rather be a secret agent :raise:

Dwood
August 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Man, there's nothing I would love to have more than a badge that says I can fly a fighter jet. Well, except maybe a girlfriend. D:

Girlfriends come with the territory. :iamafag:

Rorschach
August 9th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Already enlisted.

Limited
August 9th, 2009, 05:26 AM
In terms of the army? No, never. Why? Because I actually have some intelligence, the army is for brain dumb idiots that cant get a job, maybe not for your country but for UK it is. "Oh damn I just failed all my tests, oh well I'll join the army!"

I used to really want to be a jet fighter pilot, apart from that I'm not a fan of strict daily routines.

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I really love how civvies assume the infantry are all dumb grunts, showing their own stupidity in the process.

You realise that to be an even halfway decent soldier you have to be pretty fucking smart, right? If you cock up reading off coords while calling in artillery, you're not going to put production out for a few days or piss some customers off. You're going to blow yourselves, your mates, or a bunch of innocent civilians to confetti.

Consider talking to some soldiers before you rag on them. The British Army isn't one of the most feared in the world for nothing.

Limited
August 9th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Um, you must not have met the people I know....To get high up in the ranks, yes you have to be smart. I'm talking about average Joe foot soldiers.

I live 15 minutes away from a massive military base where they test tanks and house barracks for soldiers.

t3h m00kz
August 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM
no way in hell would I join the military. if I don't get into college at some point in the future I'm moving up to Canada and running a smoke shop I swear to god.

not like their military has to worry about anything.

CN3089
August 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
not like their military has to worry about anything.

awww look at the widdle uneducated babby :-3:-3

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Um, you must not have met the people I know....To get high up in the ranks, yes you have to be smart. I'm talking about average Joe foot soldiers.

I live 15 minutes away from a massive military base where they test tanks and house barracks for soldiers.
I'm still a recruit, and I'm going to be a rifleman. I guess I'm a retard, but I haven't realised yet?

*generalises soldiers based on the few fuckwits the media makes a big fuss over, thinks he knows shit about the military*

Limited
August 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I'm still a recruit, and I'm going to be a rifleman. I guess I'm a retard, but I haven't realised yet?

*generalises soldiers based on the few fuckwits the media makes a big fuss over, thinks he knows shit about the military*
No, thats why I said UK. I have no idea about other countries.

Its widely known that if all else fails, you can join the army. Its the place where rejects can go. I understand there are a few decent people, but the amount of chavs and thugs that join. The amount of times I spent telling my classmates they need to buck up and do their work, and they replied, "screw school, I'm joining the army anyways".

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Don't forget I grew up there. I also have a fair idea of the military capabilities of our allies, and the UK has consistently been ranked right in the top few pretty much since anyone started keeping score. You don't get to that point with dumb soldiers.

Once again, get to know the soldiers before you shit all over them. Oh, and just so you know, I came within a hair's breadth of dropping out of school at the end of year 10 and I did drop out of uni. I was sick of it. Does that make me stupid? No. Does it mean I missed out on aspects of education I'm probably never going to use? Yes.

Just because someone does shit at school or doesn't try, doesn't make them stupid. They could be a world authority in some obscure field instead.

Kornman00
August 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think about army/marines as it crosses my mind every once in a while. The thing is that its an 8 year commitment. With Marines you're first in last out. With army your tour of duty is a lot longer.
I say to play it safe navy is best an air force is second best. If you're navy you don't have to worry much because not many countries have a big navy. With Air force you just fly out do your mission and return to base.
While you may think that the AF is just a bunch of fly boys, thats not always the case. True, their deployments are only 6 months but AF personnel can get attached to Army units and deploy as long as they deploy. One case I know of is an AF medic deploying with an Army unit to Iraq. Also, the AF has it's own "Combat Arms".

However, I think the AF would be the best branch (compared to the Army, IDK about Navy) to go in as their promotion system seems to hinder freeloaders\back-scratchers (you're actually tested on your job before you make E-5) and they don't seem to create or put up with AS much bullshit as the Army. Of course things will always vary depending your duty command location (States, Korea, Africa, etc). The Army's promotion system is bullshit IMHO, but then again, I think the Army is bullshit all together so vOv. The Army "tested" battle field promotions from E-4 to E-5 and E-5 to E-6 recently. Basically you could get promoted to (Staff) Sgt without the required points needed for your MOS.

I have no experience with Navy personnel as the only time I saw them was at MEPS about four years ago.

Also, when it comes to women in the Army (even if they're just dependents of a service member, say a spouse) I would stay away. Just...stay away.

t3h m00kz
August 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM
awww look at the widdle uneducated babby :-3:-3

What can I say, I've never heard of Canada going to war with anyone, heh

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
You realise they're in Afghanistan, right? That a few were killed about 7 years ago by a USAF F-16 whose pilot assumed they were militants and didn't wait for confirmation? That their snipers made a serious contribution to Op Anaconda?

t3h m00kz
August 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
o snap.

Had no idea. But then again I usually don't read too much on that kind of stuff, it's a bit of a depressing topic

Cortexian
August 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Canadian Forces Reserves, Light Armored Soldier.

Mr Buckshot
August 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
What can I say, I've never heard of Canada going to war with anyone, heh

You do realize Canada played a very important role in both world wars, both in supplying its allies and on the open field, and that when still under British rule it even had a brief war with the U.S. in 1812? And that Canadians are in Afghanistan and too many have already died?

STLRamsFan
August 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Never put any thought to it to be honest. Besides, regardless of whether I do or don't they already disqualified me because of my hearing. :v:

Inferno
August 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'd flee to canada and trole freelancer IRL before I'd join the military.

Mr Buckshot
August 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Would never join the military, it's just not in my interests. I wouldn't mind going into army engineering in the future though, researching/designing weapons, vehicles, and so on. But as for the boot camp and all that, absolutely not.

Dwood
August 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'd flee to canada and trole freelancer IRL before I'd join the military.

i c whut you did thar!

Mass
August 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
no,

I approve of virtually none of the current endeavors of the American military, and would feel hypocritical and unethical if I were in the armed forces unless the nature of the job and the enemy were to change dramatically.

I'm glad people do join, it's essential in giving legitimacy to pieces of paper, but I wish that they were not mired in messes of our creation, clearly impossible conflicts, and unscrupulous attempts to secure economic interests.

Heathen
August 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I'm not.

Heathen
August 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/booth11.gif
actually I woudl rep if I could.

PenGuin1362
August 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
^

Also yeah, if it weren't for asthma i'd be in, war or not. for more reasons than i can explain to any of you, for reasons none of you would understand.

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Try me?

IceCube
August 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
No. Hell, going to the military is joining an organization no different from the one its fighting. Its ultimately opinions/money/ego/thrill of killing people. (Not talking about the people in an office or that kind of work).

I would rather die then join an organization that is working for and is dictating by a corrupt big brother like, government. Period.

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Wow are you deliberately trying to be a fuckhead or what?

You honestly think we want to go kill people? You think we get off on that?

Tell me, how many soldiers do you actually know? Let me guess - none. Wow. I'm amazing, aren't I? Perhaps I should start a fortune-telling stall at the next regional show...

Rook
August 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Thought about the navy at one point but now i'm sure no military is in my futuuure

PopeAK49
August 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
The military is not really my thing. It's mostly because my grandfather told me unimaginable stories of WW2. I would try to make the best out of it if I was drafted into a major war and try to stay alive.

Sanctus
August 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM
If we were at war to defend our nation from getting invaded and to fight for our freedom, yeah I'd join. Preferably the Air Force but I'd join the Army too.

teh lag
August 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
12 infractions and one detention later...

I have moved posts to "The U.S. in Afghanistan" (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17489).

Conversation may now resume.

Masterz1337
August 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I'm going to be joining the ODST branch of the army because i love videogames so much and i want to be just like everything im an expert on because i read wikipedia and the army will be real cool /anypersonwhohasacareeronforumpostingaboutvideogame s.

(In other words, you guys who think you know what it's all about have no idea what ti's really all about. Just go ask Korn.)

Dwood
August 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM
@ Teh lag: :salute:

While I posed the question of joining the military, i never gave my thoughts.

I've always wanted to become a pilot and at one point I said I would join the airforce to realize that dream. However, with my poor eyesight I am not so sure. (-4.75 since i last checked) Anyways, if I did manage to get lasik and join it would be in ~3-4 years (I am seventeen now) and by then I would be aiming to join up with NASA and see what it takes to become an astronaught. I foresee positions opening up in the future..: :D

That's just my take on it.

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Pretty sure it has to be uncorrected. Might be different there, though.

Corndogman
August 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Nope, even if your vision is perfect, you can't join the Airforce if its corrected. I'm not too sure what the rules are for being a pilot in army/navy etc.

Warsaw
August 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
You can't be a fighter pilot (specifically) without uncorrected 20/20 vision.

I can't get into any branch because my right eye can only be corrected up to 20/40 (yay for degenerate optical nerve), otherwise I'd have joined the Navy or the Marines.

Bodzilla
August 11th, 2009, 04:28 AM
a friend of mine joined the navy a while ago, they just got her in a commercial
http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2008/feb/20080228a/20080221ran8106603_071.jpg

and heres a vid :P
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/navy/Jobs/CommunicationandInformationSystemsSailor/?entryTypeId=10

i remember doing the shuttle run with her in between games of pool trying to get her fat ass fit for the training xD

Good times

Kornman00
August 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
"I love it to bitz" :giggle:

Oh, what a lovely accent

TVTyrant
August 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
The only thing I would want out of the military would be to be a gunsmith. Thats about it. Everything else seems boring and gay.

legionaire45
August 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I would probably choke the first time I got involved in any kind of combat. So no.

Kornman00
August 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I would probably choke the first time I got involved in any kind of combat. So no.
Assuming you went (active) combat arms, it'd probably become second nature for you with all the training

Cortexian
August 12th, 2009, 05:11 AM
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

I can't decide if I want to go light armored or infantry now, it's really quite annoying... Both look very exciting to me, and I just want to do both!!! I'm thinking I'll do a couple years in both while at the Reserves and then pick one to go for Reg Force.

Looking forward to my 14 week BMQ :).

(troll my user comments while I'm gone)

rossmum
August 14th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I feel sorry for the rest of your unit

Oh, you said usernotes, not thread. My bad. :downs:

Honestly, while armour sounds fun, I've come to regard any and all vehicles as moving coffins. At least when you're on foot, you're the one in control of where you go. You don't need to sit there and hope someone else is as good at getting the fuck out of the road of incoming as you are.

Cortexian
August 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
If I go armored I'll be specializing as a driver or gunner, so if I can't get the fuck out of the way I can fuck shit up anyways.

Our Infantry guys are getting some pretty snazzy gear now though, from what I've heard a lot of the Canadian infantry gear is the envy of the other NATO nations. C7 supremacy.

Daishi
August 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I've come to regard any and all vehicles as moving coffins.
qft

I hate being in vehicles of any sort.

Dwood
August 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
qft

I hate being in vehicles of any sort.

You hate driving around in cars? O.o