PDA

View Full Version : The U.S. in Afghanistan

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
no,

I approve of virtually none of the current endeavors of the American military, and would feel hypocritical and unethical if I were in the armed forces unless the nature of the job and the enemy were to change dramatically.

I'm glad people do join, it's essential in giving legitimacy to pieces of paper, but I wish that they were not mired in messes of our creation, clearly impossible conflicts, and unscrupulous attempts to secure economic interests.
Afghanistan's legit. The Taliban were definitely pretty bad dudes, and the place was being used as one giant terrorist stomping ground, pretty much. There's absolutely no oil to speak of there, so a war for economic interests it sure as hell ain't.

Mass
August 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Afghanistan's legit. The Taliban were definitely pretty bad dudes, and the place was being used as one giant terrorist stomping ground, pretty much. There's absolutely no oil to speak of there, so a war for economic interests it sure as hell ain't.
Afghanistan would fall into the category of clearly impossible conflicts, I mean, you can't honestly think it's possible to successfully occupy Afghanistan. We're no more powerful in a relative sense than the Soviets, English, Mongols, and Greeks were. Forcing the Taliban to seek haven in a nuclear armed country and throwing out the guys that kept heroin from being produced by the fuckton does not sum up to a "legit" war. Besides, it's also a mess of the United States' own creation what with the fact that we formerly supplied the people we are fighting.

We can drive over bombs and use robots to shoot what might as well be great briefcases of cash at cave entrances for years and years and never gain an inch of anything valuable.

rossmum
August 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Afghanistan would fall into the category of clearly impossible conflicts, I mean, you can't honestly think it's possible to successfully occupy Afghanistan. We're no more powerful in a relative sense than the Soviets, English, Mongols, and Greeks were. Forcing the Taliban to seek haven in a nuclear armed country and throwing out the guys that kept heroin from being produced by the fuckton does not sum up to a "legit" war. Besides, it's also a mess of the United States' own creation what with the fact that we formerly supplied the people we are fighting.

We can drive over bombs and use robots to shoot what might as well be great briefcases of cash at cave entrances for years and years and never gain an inch of anything valuable.
Just because it's not something we can ever clearly win, doesn't mean it was totally wrong. Think about it. At least now they might have some chance at getting somewhere without being put to death for breaching the Taliban's fucking ridiculous laws.

kid908
August 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Just because it's not something we can ever clearly win, doesn't mean it was totally wrong. Think about it. At least now they might have some chance at getting somewhere without being put to death for breaching the Taliban's fucking ridiculous laws.

Ridiculous is a matter of opinion. It might be normal law to them, but ridiculous to you and besides, who said they wanted to break away from that government anyways?

Mass
August 9th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Right, or they could not commit a single crime at all, ever in their life, and have a stray missile land in their yard. They could be forced to deal with heavily armed young men that don't speak their language and are scared shitless often enough. Almost regardless of the state of one's government, invasion by a foreign power is not something an average man will approve of.

The Taliban wouldn't still have so large a portion of their strength if they hadn't had a decent chunk of public support from the beginning. Plus, quite a few remain in the government. Not to mention our friends in the UIF/Northern Alliance are hardly angels.

So, yes, I would say that the war in Afghanistan is and has been "totally wrong." Not so much because of malicious intent as that it is a terrible way to reach the goal of eliminating potential terrorists or reducing the number of human rights violations.

Plus side consequences like increased opiate production and the Abrams tank giving everyone lung cancer.

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Ridiculous is a matter of opinion. It might be normal law to them, but ridiculous to you and besides, who said they wanted to break away from that government anyways?
Hmmm. I dunno. How about all those people they killed and tortured? How about all the minority groups they persecuted? How about the poor fucking villagers who were forced to serve as human shields for them?

How many of you actually have any idea at all what happened there?

PopeAK49
August 10th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I can tell you I have no clue, because I wasn't there. I think it's probably the media that is mind fucking most of us.

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Having spoken to guys who WERE there (we have a few from 3 RAR taking a bit of a breather, attached to our unit for now) and read actual accounts, trust me. The Taliban were about as popular with the general population as Hitler was with the Poles.

Longshot
August 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM
No, thats why I said UK. I have no idea about other countries.

Its widely known that if all else fails, you can join the army. Its the place where rejects can go. I understand there are a few decent people, but the amount of chavs and thugs that join. The amount of times I spent telling my classmates they need to buck up and do their work, and they replied, "screw school, I'm joining the army anyways".
Wrong.

That's not right at all, some people just want to do something with their lives, others might want to serve their country and others, such as myself, might be having trouble finding employment with today's economic crisis.

I have been a Reservist since May 20, 2008, and everything I've learned in the Army has been crazy, to call a Soldier a reject is a straight up insult, we need to be trained - you don't give someone a rifle and ship them overseas. There are guys at my unit that know and understand what they have to do whereas there are civvies I know that I wouldn't trust with a fucking broomstick, let alone a rifle.

I agree.

While the Taliban are the lowest form of life on the planet, we, nor anybody else have the right to invade. What right does America have to invade another country and start a pointless war? Nothing. America are no different than any other country on the planet. The entire occupation was a mistake, there are no WMD, just oil, a bunch of terrorists and a country that's worse now than when it was before.

How do you defeat an enemy that fears God more than he fears you?

The answer is you can't.

CN3089
August 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM
While the Taliban are the lowest form of life on the planet, we, nor anybody else have the right to invade. What right does America have to invade another country and start a pointless war?

Hey remember way back in 2001 when their friends they were harboring in their country crashed a few planes into buildings and killed 4000 people?? :allears:

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Wow are you deliberately trying to be a fuckhead or what?

You honestly think we want to go kill people? You think we get off on that?

Tell me, how many soldiers do you actually know? Let me guess - none. Wow. I'm amazing, aren't I? Perhaps I should start a fortune-telling stall at the next regional show...

My dad was. So was my grandfather. So was my father’s friend.

You say the military isn’t only about killing, but really, go look what its doing now. If you tell me there doing scientific research and other crap to help the American people. You are blinded. They are there for money purposes (oil) and are getting killed/killing because they are ordered to. Just because you love tanks and ships and planes so much, doesn’t mean they are right and should be used against humanity because of something called defense and then invasion. ;)

America already failed. It’s that simple. They should have pulled out when they had the chance of not looking like ass’s. But owai, they already do look like that. Because of this war, look at how the prices for things went up. Tell me something, if the military is so good, why can’t the American government and military help there own country out instead of disputing other countries affairs? North Korea to have nuclear capability. Shall they go and invade that too?
My point is, the military does stuff wrong, and has the thick face of not caring. So joining them is like joining a lost cause. J

Hmmm. I dunno. How about all those people they killed and tortured? How about all the minority groups they persecuted? How about the poor fucking villagers who were forced to serve as human shields for them?

How about all those people in US OF A that are killed because of gangs and drug dealers. What about all those Mexicans crossing the boarder? What about all the poor people? You think war is right even if you don’t win? Then you might as well throw money in the air, and have your population be poor and starve. Oh, nvm. America is already doing that. A corrupt government sums it all up. :)

kid908
August 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM

How about the many more people that were killed because we interfered? What happened there have happen throughout the world for centuries. Let THEM figure things out and start the revolution then we can aid them, not start it ourselves.

When they figure out a government based on religion isn't going to work out, they'll do something about it. We're doing the samething that was done in the past hundreds and thousands of times before, but instead of offering "salvation," we're offering "freedom."

Why do we keep trying to label one side as "Evil" since WWII? What makes them more evil than say the crusade? One side defends land while the other is conquerring land. If trying to conquer/expanding or defend your land makes you evil, then I guess the entire world is evil.

What works for you will not work for everyone! So don't start a war and justify it as "they wanted it," "they're evil," or "we're defending our freedom." You don't know what they want, they're not evil just because their governing system and judicial system doesn't work like ours and No! You are not defending your freedom. Your freedom isn't in the Middle East.

And finally the same thing is happening in Africa, why isn't it about that instead of the Middle East?

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM
How about the many more people that were killed because we interfered? What happened there have happen throughout the world for centuries. Let THEM figure things out and start the revolution then we can aid them, not start it ourselves.
Yeah, that kinda wasn't working. See, the Taliban could call in their overseas terrorist buds. The Afghan resistance couldn't.

When they figure out a government based on religion isn't going to work out, they'll do something about it. We're doing the samething that was done in the past hundreds and thousands of times before, but instead of offering "salvation," we're offering "freedom."
Read the above.

Why do we keep trying to label one side as "Evil" since WWII? What makes them more evil than say the crusade? One side defends land while the other is conquerring land. If trying to conquer/expanding or defend your land makes you evil, then I guess the entire world is evil.
I dunno, but if you consider killing and torturing people for not conforming entirely to your beliefs not evil then I think you should probably see a psychologist, and quite soon at that

What works for you will not work for everyone! So don't start a war and justify it as "they wanted it," "they're evil," or "we're defending our freedom." You don't know what they want, they're not evil just because their governing system and judicial system doesn't work like ours and No! You are not defending your freedom. Your freedom isn't in the Middle East.
You kids are fucking idiots! Tell me how many Afghans you know! Tell me what your sources are, since you seem to know so much! A mate of mine's entire extended family had to bail and leave everything they had behind because of the Taliban, and they were the lucky ones. The unlucky ones were stuck in villages where the only people with any sort of free will or right to voice their opinion were the Taliban! I dunno about you, but I find it literally impossible to believe that the people there could find this arrangement favourable. You think they enjoy being forced into following the laws of a bunch of religious extremists?

And finally the same thing is happening in Africa, why isn't it about that instead of the Middle East?
Because Africa wasn't housing the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks at the time, do you think?

And one final note, before anyone else decides to bring it up:

THERE IS NO OIL IN AFGHANISTAN. NOT ONE MOTHERFUCKING DROP.

Got it?

Longshot
August 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hey remember way back in 2001 when their friends they were harboring in their country crashed a few planes into buildings and killed 4000 people?? :allears:My point exactly.

The occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan was because of weapons of mass destruction and oil - not 9/11. The Bush administration invaded both countries under false pretenses. For fucks sake it's lasted longer than World War 2. The entire war was, and still is, pointless.

By the way, just because they were harboring them in their country doesn't mean every Afghan and Iraqi hates America. Unfortunately, after this war, I fear that will change.

Wake up. They were just a bunch of delusion religious nut jobs.

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Iraq was under false pretences. Afghanistan wasn't. I supported the war right up until Iraq.

Once again, no oil in Afghanistan. Practically the only resource of worth in the country is opium, which is fuck all use to the US. Unless they're after the rusting iron off Soviet tank wrecks, it's not a resource war.

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
sperging

your aspergers is showing :ohdear:

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 09:33 AM
your aspergers is showing :ohdear:
you... you posted...

my bro...

kid908
August 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, that kinda wasn't working. See, the Taliban could call in their overseas terrorist buds. The Afghan resistance couldn't.

uh yes they can...they're called allies. You won't last as a resistence or nation without allies.

I dunno, but if you consider killing and torturing people for not conforming entirely to your beliefs not evil then I think you should probably see a psychologist, and quite soon at that

Maybe you just have a high standard for "good" or I just have a low standard for "good," but Just stop labeling one side good and the other evil. You think you're doing good by free them and they think they're doing good by defending their government.

You kids are fucking idiots! Tell me how many Afghans you know! Tell me what your sources are, since you seem to know so much! A mate of mine's entire extended family had to bail and leave everything they had behind because of the Taliban, and they were the lucky ones. The unlucky ones were stuck in villages where the only people with any sort of free will or right to voice their opinion were the Taliban! I dunno about you, but I find it literally impossible to believe that the people there could find this arrangement favourable. You think they enjoy being forced into following the laws of a bunch of religious extremists?

And guess what? They don't even complain about the current events there as much as the Americans I know or you for that matter.

Because Africa wasn't housing the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks at the time, do you think?

and guess who they're arming and funding/getting funded by in Africa? They aren't exclusively in Afghan, their organization is just as deep in other countries as gangs.

I've also have not seen a single real proof they're behind 9/11. Just our government's word that they were behind it. The word of the government that started an illegal war in Iraq.

And one final note, before anyone else decides to bring it up:

THERE IS NO OIL IN AFGHANISTAN. NOT ONE MOTHERFUCKING DROP.

Got it?

Also as a side note just to bring it up: NOT everything is about oil.

Can this thread be cut into 2 threads seeing how this thread is about joining the military and the reason for or against it and NOT about the ongoing war and the arguement for and against it.

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
i'd like to nominate kid908 for most fitting/appropriate username

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
uh yes they can...they're called allies. You won't last as a resistence or nation without allies.
Hmmyes I bet it would be really easy to draw allies to your cause when on one side of you is the country these fucks are based in, and on all other sides are countries which DON'T CARE because they AREN'T AFFECTED.

Jesus, you're dense.

Maybe you just have a high standard for "good" or I just have a low standard for "good," but Just stop labeling one side good and the other evil. You think you're doing good by free them and they think they're doing good by defending their government.
Sorry, what? Who's 'they'? The average villager? Well that's odd, since I don't really see them up in arms about us going in and stomping the Taliban. Oddly enough, most of them seem pretty happy about it. What the hell is wrong with these people?

And guess what? They don't even complain about the current events there as much as the Americans I know or you for that matter.
Yeah complaining sure does get you a long way in a country where free speech is a capital offence, about as far as it is from where you're standing to the nearest ditch in fact!

and guess who they're arming and funding/getting funded by in Africa? They aren't exclusively in Afghan, their organization is just as deep in other countries as gangs.
No fucking shit? The difference is that their leader was in Afghanistan. Their training camps were in Afghanistan. They might be getting funded by other countries, hell, they could even be recruiting in other countries (and they are on both counts), but Afghanistan was the one place they could do literally whatever they liked with no repercussions. Why? Because they basically WERE the 'government'.

I've also have not seen a single real proof they're behind 9/11. Just our government's word that they were behind it. The word of the government that started an illegal war in Iraq.
Dammit, you got me. The ZOG was behind it. I chose the targets. I thought we'd made a convincing enough job of it! holy fuck if you actually believe that you are literally retarded

Also as a side note just to bring it up: NOT everything is about oil.
Yeah. I mean, it could be about terrorist att- oh.

Can this thread be cut into 2 threads seeing how this thread is about joining the military and the reason for or against it and NOT about the ongoing war and the arguement for and against it.
It doesn't need to be cut since if you have even half a brain you'd realise what an idiot you're making of yourself.

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Lol. So its ok to go to war, because we are helping harmless innocent children/people who would be killed or even worse, hurt! if we weren't there! Because of this, we should continue to stay and continue to do our good deeds down there, and care about them. Why? Because its more important to care about another countries health then your own. Especially when money is concerned! How dare we not!?
-basicly thats rossums statement.-

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Did you somehow miss the whole 9/11 thing or what

*is an average modacity member*

*posts ridiculously ignorant statements about politics and the military, claiming to know great deals about both while in actual fact having no experience of either beyond playing dress-ups and highschool debate classes*

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Lol. So its ok to go to war, because we are helping harmless innocent children/people who would be killed or even worse, hurt! if we weren't there! Because of this, we should continue to stay and continue to do our good deeds down there, and care about them. Why? Because its more important to care about another countries health then your own. Especially when money is concerned! How dare we not!?
-basicly thats rossums statement.-

i'm a big moron

-basically thats icecubes statement.-

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
To the guy above me. Yes you are. :)

Did you somehow miss the whole 9/11 thing or what

*is an average modacity member*

*posts ridiculously ignorant statements about politics and the military, claiming to know great deals about both while in actual fact having no experience of either beyond playing dress-ups and highschool debate classes*

Yo, when you die. I hope your going to be missed. You did the government a good deed. You died, and helped decrease the amount of money the government would have to pay for you. :allears:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvbdyRMlPKk

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Yo, when you die. I hope your going to be missed. You did the government a good deed. You died, and helped decrease the amount of money the government would have to pay for you. :allears:
classic example of 'idiotic retort made by uneducated child when they realise they're too thick to come back with an actual reply with some kind of substance'

thanks for playing

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Yo, when you die. I hope your going to be missed. You did the government a good deed. You died, and helped decrease the amount of money the government would have to pay for you. :allears:

you're you're you're you're you're you're you're you're you're you're you'reyou'reyou'reyou're

"you're" as in "you're a huge idiot"

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
note the pronoun used

you're

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
note the pronoun used

you're

as in

it's you (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?u=3542)

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvbdyRMlPKk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvbdyRMlPKk)

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM
*posts same youtube link over and over in lieu of intelligent comment*

*there's probably a good underlying reason for this*

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Yes, shows proof. Not just talking.

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
yeah um call me retarded since my knowledge can't possibly compare to that of an uneducated civilian teenager but iraq and afghanistan are kinda not the same war just a pointer

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM
yeah um call me retarded since my knowledge can't possibly compare to that of an uneducated civilian teenager but iraq and afghanistan are kinda not the same war just a pointer
who cares they're all in that big sandy area no one cares about -- IceCube, reading your posts, 2009

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
No. That's the war your defending. Don't tell me about the good deeds. That's what they did with global warming. "who cares, its just a few side effects". Here its, "Just half the military is so messed in the head they need a check up when they come back from seeing so much violence."

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
he was probably one of the people on the chaser who said iran should be bombed next, then pointed to australia

efb

by the way i'm not saying it's good i'm saying you're a fucking retard because you don't know what the reasons were and dumb people like you are the sorts who really fuck the troops over

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
nuke iraq they caused global warming, gotta just remove the source

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Kolobus, if you want to post something on topic, please do so. Stop being an idiot.

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
icecube, was 9/11 an inside job?? i want to hear it from the master of intel himself

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Kolobus, if you want to post something on topic, please do so. Stop being an idiot.

img-ironycatgrowingbigger.gif

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm posting my opinion and thoughts on things. Your just trolling.

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
icecube, was 9/11 an inside job?? i want to hear it from the master of intel himself
it was the zog i thought everyone knew that

you're a sheep man, a sheep

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm posting my opinion and thoughts on things. Your just trolling.
your opinions are so misinformed they could probably be considered trolling

IceCube
August 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Lol, why do you guys have to be so childish? Did I say something that might actually be the truth? If I did, you know, I might as well say it. Sorry. :(

rossmum
August 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Lol, why do you guys have to be so childish? Did I say something that might actually be the truth? If I did, you know, I might as well say it. Sorry. :(
no you basically insulted our intelligence by exposing us to your... 'opinions'

Kolobus
August 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM

i haven't seen you post these words in this specific order

"I'm a huge fucking retard."

so i haven't seen anything that, you know, might be the truth

teh lag
August 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
holy fuck oh god

give me a minute to figure out what happened in this thread

Bodzilla
August 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Jesus christ fellas what the fuck happened here take a chill pill and relax, lotta a red to scroll through and that shits permanent. Think about it.

little more thinking and a lot less BOLD ITALICS AND SIZE text is greatly appreciated.