PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect or Bioshock?

Champ
August 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Well with the new "Games on Demand" feature on xbox live, I was thinking about buying one of these games but haven't decided on which one. So which one did you guys enjoy more?

Ki11a_FTW
August 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Bioshock

Jean-Luc
August 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Mass Effect was 10x better than Bioshock imo

Ki11a_FTW
August 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I just liked the style of bioshock a lot

BobtheGreatII
August 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I would say Bioshock. Story is better and you'll get prepared for Bioshock 2.

Heathen
August 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Bioshock.

Where's the poll?

SnaFuBAR
August 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
UH, mass effect. way more involved of a universe and much more replay value than bioshock.

Champ
August 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Forgot the poll, maybe a mod can fix that. But it looks like the majority is going with Bioshock...so far.

jcap
August 12th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Haven't gotten around to playing Mass Effect (I have it, though), but Bioshock fucking blows dicks.

You can download the demo and get the same quality of entertainment by playing it 100 times. The best part is that it's free.

Ganon
August 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM
mass effect...

Boba
August 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Mass effect.

Huero
August 12th, 2009, 12:50 AM
bioshock

Champ
August 12th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Can you guys give some reasons for why you're picking that game?

Jean-Luc
August 12th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I chose Mass Effect for a simple reason: the story. By far, the story in Mass Effect is unparalleled to any other game I've ever played, and the universe that Bioware has created is on par with Star Wars. The moral choice system, while not definitively good or bad, has profound implications on how the rest of the game will play, the combat (especially on the PC version), is very entertaining, and you'll quickly grow to treat your squadmates as real people, rather than AI entities.

Now, Bioshock is a great game to be sure, but as far as replayability/story goes, I personally prefer Mass Effect.

Oh, and Wrex = badass.

TeeKup
August 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Most of the time I have Wrex and Garrus in my squad. They're just that awesome.

CN3089
August 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Mass Effect owns, Bioshock is ok

Huero
August 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM
mass effect is not nearly as good as these guys make it out to be
it has MASSIVE glaring flaws

Jean-Luc
August 12th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Which you, interestingly enough, decided not to point out specifically, despite how obvious they apparently are.

CN3089
August 12th, 2009, 03:05 AM

mass effect is unironically the best game ever made hope this helps :allears:

Huero
August 12th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Which you, interestingly enough, decided not to point out specifically, despite how obvious they apparently are.

Its massive amount of glitches and shitty item management system just to name 2

343guiltymc
August 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Never played Bioshock, but did play Mass effect 1 PC. And other than some small issues like horrible vehicle controls and bland side missions planets, the game is pretty epic.

odseraphim
August 12th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I loved Bioshock, but my nod is going to have to go to Mass Effect on this one.

More bang for your buck, definitely.

Syuusuke
August 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Just get both.

El Lobo
August 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Champ your more like me, and we like Bioshock.

(only played Mass Effect for 20 minutes, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. But, I did play Bioshock through 3 times)

:lobo:

CabooseJr
August 12th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Go for Mass Effect.

Sever
August 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Fuck it. Get both and stop being a cheap-ass.

IceCube
August 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Mass Effect. Great story line, great AI interactions, and awesome concept of how rpg games should be. :)

Syuusuke
August 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Bioshock and mass effect both have their frustrations.

What do you like more, sci fi, or some good ol 50s-fiction shooting/zapping?

Jean-Luc
August 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Its massive amount of glitches and shitty item management system just to name 2

Neither of which I experienced in the superior PC version. :realsmug:

Futzy
August 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I played both on the Xbox and I definitely can't decide which is better.

But I would recommend mass effect because of the immense amount of time it takes to play through it. I spent 100+ hours on my first play through and have since done it three more times.

DrunkenSamus
August 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Never played Mass Effect so Bioshock.

Huero
August 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Neither of which I experienced in the superior PC version. :realsmug:

Fair enough, that version was pretty much far superior

Champ
August 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Not sure but I think the crowd favorite is still Bioshock. Haven't really heard anything negative about it.

Pooky
August 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Bioshock never really held my interest, so Mass Effect.

Syuusuke
August 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Now that I think about it, I never finished Bioshock and Mass Effect I was able to finish.

Sometimes I just don't like being lonely ya know?

Much like FEAR, still havent finished it.

Donut
August 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM
i have never played mass effect, so ill give you my take on bioshock

i thought bioshock's story and ideas were really good, and the environments were pretty cool too. the issue is that the controls on the 360 are kind of clunky. you know how in a game like halo you can line up a headshot once you get the feel for it, and the controls seem pretty smooth? iv played through bioshock on the 360 two times, working on a 3rd play, and i still dont have that feel yet. while on paper the game does give you a lot of different methods of dealing with enemies, when you actually play you usually dont have time to use half of those options.

for example, every weapon has 3 ammo types (camera doesnt count as a weapon imo). the second area you get to is the fishery if i remember correctly, where you get a grenade launcher. one of the ammo types for it is proximity mines. you can use your imagination from there. another weapon you get later on is the crossbow, which has a thing called trap bolts. they create an electric trip line that shocks and stuns enemies (and yourself) on contact. you can line entire hallways with trap bolts in an area where enemies will be.

those sound good in concept right? well not in practice. the main reason for this is that you just randomly encounter enemies, and usually if you can see them, then theyre shooting at you already. when you actually encounter a "battle", you never see it coming, and you have very little time to react to the situation. the other issue is that there really isnt much necessity in booby trapping areas since most enemies run straight toward you with lead pipes allowing you to gun them down before they hit you. the only time trap bolts might come in handy would be to kill a big daddy, and even at that you'd have to trap an entire hallway with like 25 trap bolts to get its health down half way.

the story is pretty cool in bioshock imo. i dont know how it compares to mass effect, but it does keep you guessing, and it does have some cool motifs in it too. there are some plot twists too which is pretty cool. another thing is theres a guy named dr. shnoug or something german like that. you never meet him, but by finding the optional audio diaries you can find out exactly how the underwater city called rapture that the game takes place in became so desolate and fucked up.

if you can get a chance to play it, i say go for it, but i would rent it since there isnt too much replay value.