PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a PC game...

ThePlague
August 12th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Tomorrow I am going to go to Best Buy to either buy Halo 2 Vista or something else. I have $30 cash and $30 check, but don't really want to spend the check.

My Specs are:

CPU - Intel Pentium M Processor 1.86 Ghz
CPU Speed - 1.86 Ghz Rated At 2.79 Ghz
System RAM - 1024 mb
OS - Windows 7 RC Build 7100
Video Card - ATI RADEON MODILITY X300
Video RAM - 64 mb
Video card 3d acceleration - yes
Pixel Shader Ver. 2.0
Sound Card - Yes
Free Disc Space currently - 8.3 gb (I have a 40 gb HDD, hopefully getting a better one soon)
DVD Drive - HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4242N ATA Device

My computer is a IBM Thinkpad T43 Laptop, and i'm not going to get a new one for a loooong time, so don't even bother telling me to get one.

Ganon
August 12th, 2009, 03:45 AM
whatever you do don't buy halo 2... I thought that was made clear by 1000's of people 1000's of times before

legionaire45
August 12th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Whatever you do, don't get H2V unless you want to play the single player really badly.

Even then, it runs so poorly (even on good hardware) that you might as well buy yourself an old Xbox 1 off of ebay along with a copy of Halo 2 for roughly the same price.

ThePlague
August 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I have an Xbox 1, and a 360...

So then what should I get?

Cortexian
August 12th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Freelancer.

Advancebo
August 12th, 2009, 05:25 AM
CoD4

Horns
August 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
There are other games besides halo?

Bodzilla
August 12th, 2009, 07:35 AM
DONT BUY HALO.

if you support terrible products and shameless fucking cash grabs they'll do it again... and again.....
you cant support them when they fuck you, the consumer over.

343guiltymc
August 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM
GTR2

=sw=warlord
August 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Get Crysis:iamafag:
By far my favourite pc game, i get to go sight seeing while i get to use some interesting guns, who can say no to a gauss rifle while swiming through tropical rivers in a jungle?

Syuusuke
August 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Get steam, get TF2 (though you may not enjoy it because of your specs, dunno)

get the Indie games sales or whatever it was boobinator posted before with the long ass names.

Cojafoji
August 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM
i have a laptop running with those same specs except for 128 mb on the gpu.

that laptop can't handle much, and since you're running windows 7 already...

since you have a 360, try burnout paradise. it's a great game for when you're totally baked with friends and such.

*coja does not advocate the sweet sweet criminal activity that is dope smoking.

Edit: trying to run hl2, or tf2 on that machine would be retarded. trust me. i fucking tried.

Mr Buckshot
August 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't recommend getting any PC titles released after early 2006 with those specs on your laptop. If you don't already have it, I recommend Far Cry 1 from 2004...it'll run reasonably well (don't even try Far Cry 2 lol) and it's an awesome experience, in fact it was the most technologically advanced game before Doom3/Halflife2.

Since you have an Xbox 1 and a 360...CoD4 ftw (the PC version is better, but since your PC won't cut it, the 360 version will do). If you want to save even more, get a pre played game from EB or Gamestop. They're guaranteed to be in working condition and the price drops can be pretty big.

e: Forgot, best Buy does have something about selling new games at used-game prices...wonder how that'll turn out for you. Maybe you can get great deals there too.

ThePlague
August 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Get steam, get TF2 (though you may not enjoy it because of your specs, dunno)

get the Indie games sales or whatever it was boobinator posted before with the long ass names.
I had the Orange Box, and got banned, so i'm done using steam for a loong time.

since you have a 360, try burnout paradise. it's a great game for when you're totally baked with friends and such.
I have Burnout Revenge for regular xbox, and i'm not really a fan anymore. It gets boring and kinda annoying pretty fast.

Edit: trying to run hl2, or tf2 on that machine would be retarded. trust me. i fucking tried.
I ran all of the Orange Box on my Dell Latitude D600 and I beat all of the Half life 2 series with it. Either i'm lucky or there's something someone's not telling me about running games.

Wouldn't recommend getting any PC titles released after early 2006 with those specs on your laptop. If you don't already have it, I recommend Far Cry 1 from 2004...it'll run reasonably well (don't even try Far Cry 2 lol) and it's an awesome experience, in fact it was the most technologically advanced game before Doom3/Halflife2.
I've seen farcry gameplay and stuff, and it doesn't seem like my kind of game.

Since you have an Xbox 1 and a 360...CoD4 ftw (the PC version is better, but since your PC won't cut it, the 360 version will do). If you want to save even more, get a pre played game from EB or Gamestop. They're guaranteed to be in working condition and the price drops can be pretty big.
I'd buy COD4, but i'd rather play COD5 on my 360 (which I do). And i'll buy MW2 but not MW. Just watching people play COD4 makes me want them to ragequit.

e: Forgot, best Buy does have something about selling new games at used-game prices...wonder how that'll turn out for you. Maybe you can get great deals there too.
My dad figured out that some used games sold at Gamestop/EB Games are more expensive then buying new at Best Buy. I still use both places, but if I wanted a new game i'd probably get it from Best Buy.

Answers in red.

Those were about the only people that read my specs/the first post, so I answered them.

Ganon
August 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I had the Orange Box, and got banned, so i'm done using steam for a loong time.

hacker

ThePlague
August 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
hacker
I link you to this thread (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14595&highlight=steam%21) good sir, for more information regarding my Steam account.

Cojafoji
August 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
you know what, i totally forgot i didn't try it on my laptop, i tried it on my old old desktop.

mb

Mr Buckshot
August 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and older will run fine as well (you're wearing NVGs most of the time so you won't really notice the graphical quality lol). The multiplayer for splinter cell is love-it-or-hate-it. One side is an FPS where you're armed to the teeth. The other side is analogous to the single player, and you have no lethal weapons. I personally prefer the mercenary (FPS) side to the spy (3rd person) side. All splinter cell games since Pandora Tomorrow have featured this multiplayer mode.

GTA San Andreas and older will also run quite well.

If you like RTS's, let's see...Age of Empires 3 should be fine with your specs. Command and Conquer Generals can run alright on intel failure IGPs, so you probably can handle that too.

e: This list might suit you (that guy's video card is similar to yours):
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic56976.html They even listed Oblivion there (use Oldblivion mod to achieve good performance)

Donut
August 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
im not sure what the requirements are for oblivion, but oblivion is pretty cool imo. and if you can run oblivion, see if you can find morrowind. if you do either though make sure you get the game of the year version since almost every pc mod for morrowind requires both expansion packs, which the game of the year edition comes with.

yeah so if you like mods, oblivion and morrowind are built off of mods. and i can hook you up with some good ones.
iv got 90 hours clocked in morrowind (and like 40 unlogged ones from week long vacation where i fucking did NOTHING) and almost 60 hours in oblivion. they will definitly keep you entertained if youre into that sort of game

E: and my computer has around the same specs as yours. halo 2 vista runs like shit on it and makes my graphics card overheat and run at like 170 degrees Fahrenheit. i swear to god, this fucking laptop is going to make me sterile.

Darkness
August 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
L4D or wait for L4D2. Don't get COD4 since Activision wants to price MW2 at $100 (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pachter-activisions-modern-warfare-pricing-strategy-is-a-test). Some others are fallout 3, Orange box, Resident evil 5

Mr Buckshot
August 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
im not sure what the requirements are for oblivion, but oblivion is pretty cool imo. and if you can run oblivion, see if you can find morrowind. if you do either though make sure you get the game of the year version since almost every pc mod for morrowind requires both expansion packs, which the game of the year edition comes with.

yeah so if you like mods, oblivion and morrowind are built off of mods. and i can hook you up with some good ones.
iv got 90 hours clocked in morrowind (and like 40 unlogged ones from week long vacation where i fucking did NOTHING) and almost 60 hours in oblivion. they will definitly keep you entertained if youre into that sort of game

E: and my computer has around the same specs as yours. halo 2 vista runs like shit on it and makes my graphics card overheat and run at like 170 degrees Fahrenheit. i swear to god, this fucking laptop is going to make me sterile.

The most important mod for Oblivion on lower end computers is the Old-blivion mod, it basically allows the game to run in lower end shaders mode and can make a big difference in framerate. My friend has an integrated Geforce 7150M and he was able to get Oblivion running playably simply by using Oldblivion. Morrowind will run fine, I've seen it run playably on modern Intel failure IGPs, which the Radeon X300 still outperforms.

Darkness, read his PC specs before you post. His options are severely limited by his specs, plus he says he doesn't want to buy Steam games anymore. As for L4D, it will run on his PC, but since L4D has more on-screen AI at once than most other Source games, it'll chug a lot, even on lowest settings.

El Lobo
August 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Blockland.

:lobo:

Amit
August 12th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Seriously, I'd be surprised if you computer could run Halo PC at full settings without any hitches ever. Hate to say it but that X300 probably can't run much more than Halo.

ThePlague
August 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I played the SPv2 Beta at full settings.

Inferno
August 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Listen to the MLG pro. CoD4. CoD4. CoD4.

Bastinka
August 12th, 2009, 10:18 PM
http://www.bastian-de-byl.de/pirate.png

:-3
Not suggesting anything with that picture, how much money are you talking about either way?

My list of suggested games (Note: Some may not be released yet and yes I did read your mentioning of buying it tomorrow, but suggest really saving your money):

Aion Online (MMORPG) - First MMORPG to have a working physics engine (Runs off CryEngine 3): http://na.aiononline.com/en/

Left 4 Dead 2 (FPS Multiplayer) - To me, looks like Left 4 Dead just with new maps and remakes of weapons, characters, weapons and zombies: http://www.l4d.com/

Battlefield: Bad Company (FPS Single and Multiplayer) - First Battlefield in the series EA did not screw over by copying the last Battlefield, also there is a 2nd Bad Company coming out but I haven't looked at or played yet. Fully destructible environment, lots of fun and very very enjoyable: http://badcompany.ea.com/

Mass Effect 2 (RPG Singleplayer) - Another chapter, continuing on where the first one left off. Seems interesting, not yet released, but I personally loved the first one: http://masseffect.bioware.com/agegate.html?ref=%2F

Starcraft 2 (RTS Single and Multiplayer) - Looks okay, but Blizzard is beginning to take large shit's all over this release date and what they want to do with the game: http://www.starcraft2.com/

Killing Floor (FPS Multiplayer) - Old, but new. Runs off Unreal Engine 2.5. Very fun, lacks things here and there but is pretty similar to Left 4 Dead except Zombies ( Specimens in this case ) come at you in waves with a final Boss fight wave: http://www.killingfloorthegame.com/

If you want any more suggestions just ask, by the way I hate CoD ( 4 and 5). It's too easy in some cases and just didn't hit that G-Spot for me.

EDIT: Inferno, he already mentioned things about CoD. (Read before posting)

I'd buy COD4, but i'd rather play COD5 on my 360 (which I do). And i'll buy MW2 but not MW. Just watching people play COD4 makes me want them to ragequit.
It's on the 2nd page.

Amit
August 13th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Aion only runs on the original CryEngine, not CryEngine 3.

Darkness
August 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM
http://www.bastian-de-byl.de/pirate.png

:-3
Not suggesting anything with that picture, how much money are you talking about either way?

To bad they got sued and now they're owned by someone else

Ki11a_FTW
August 13th, 2009, 01:20 AM
To bad they got sued and now they're owned by someone else

width="1000" height="1000"
hope i dont get infracted for that

Warsaw
August 13th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I played the SPv2 Beta at full settings.

Stutter stutter stutter...at what resolution? If I can barely manage 30 fps at times, there is no way in hell you could possibly do better with maximum settings at 1280x1024 (and by maximum, I mean everything on, everything on high, No VSYNC, and refresh rate at 75Hz).

Last time I checked, a GeForce FX5200 was better than the X300.

As for games:

IL-2. :v:

ThePlague
August 13th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Seriously, does anyone read the first page? Most of the games you are suggesting I obviously can't run, if you'd bother to read the first page you'd know that.

Mr Buckshot
August 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
You can also run the NFS series (anything before Most Wanted).

Needles
August 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Quake 3 and maybe Quake 4.

Mr Buckshot
August 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Quake 3 and maybe Quake 4.

For Quake 3, be sure to get the Wolfenstein game that uses the same engine.

Quake 4 runs on the Doom 3 engine. It'll start on his PC, but performance can be dismal.

=sw=warlord
August 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Seriously, does anyone read the first page? Most of the games you are suggesting I obviously can't run, if you'd bother to read the first page you'd know that.
http://bzflag.org/
If you cannot run that then i suggest you euthanize your computer.

Warsaw
August 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM
http://bzflag.org/
If you cannot run that then i suggest you euthanize your computer.

Lol, do you even know where this is inspired from? xD

Also, ThePlague, you can run IL-2. It's an old game, so even your anemic GPU can do it...if Ross's old machine could run it, so can yours; you just won't get maximum draw distance.