PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Germany, got a few questions about tech.

Bastinka
August 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
First off, I know the Voltage and all that electrical stuff is different. So I've realized I can't take a computer, TV or anything with me. Then I remember the Xbox 360 has a giant power supply (http://www.cavernimports.com/images/products/76.jpg).

So I thought to myself, not being an electrician, the Input is marked as 100V - 127V AC. The output is 203W. I know Voltage, Watts and Currents but I have no idea how exactly this really would work.

The current Xbox I have is the Standard (1 Above the Arcade version) 360. I wonder if I can just buy another power supply or would I have to just buy an entire adapter, or whatever you would use to manipulate the amount of voltage.

Any ideas?

Syuusuke
August 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
You can bring your computer, doesn't it have that handy switch on the PSU for voltage changes?

Or what.

legionaire45
August 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Not sure exactly, but almost every modern computer Power Supply lets you switch the voltage from whatever we use here to like, 230 volts or whatever it is that they use over in Europe.

They also sell travel adapters for laptop chargers that should let you use one of those as well.

Not sure about other things but if it has a switch that lets you change voltage you should be able to get it to work over there.

Bastinka
August 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
My Desktop is back from '04, so I don't think it has anything of the sort. Either way I'd have to also haul along my monitor, which would most definitely will need a Voltage Converter. Doing some research I found out the following:

Average US household's use ~120V and Germany's average household use 220-240V ( Doubled )
I just have to buy a new power supply for my Xbox 360 in Germany, that'll be easy enough as I will reside in Berlin, according to this: http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t99147.html
I can bring my iPod touch as it uses USB to charge and not electrical sockets or whatnot.

Anything else I need to or should know?

Edit: About the Power supply thing, I'll open it up tomorrow and check it out. Either way I'd like to have a new computer. This ones beginning to die slowly, and the hardware really needs an update which would be equivalent to the price of a new computer if not more. Planning on getting a laptop for ~600 Euros. Should do me good, I'm not looking for anything too hardcore judging by the fact any computer on sale today will be a large step up from the ATI 1300 XGE I run and have been for 2-3 years now. Will need to look at some stores, oh and I'm also back in the single core processors (2.2 GHz Intel).

Corndogman
August 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
You shouldn't need to open up the computer to see, its usually on the power supply and will be on the back of the computer. Also, mine is from 03, and it has one of those switches.

And doesn't Korn live in Germany? Maybe he can help.

Darkness
August 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
If you have an Active PFC power supply then it really shouldn't affect you

Donut
August 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
are you actually moving to germany or taking a long trip there? because why would you not take your computer if you were moving? you couldnt sell the parts online?

Inferno
August 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Charge your ipod touch on your xbox. It works. I've done it before.

Bastinka
August 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that Xbox Charging trick!

Also, I could sell the parts but I'm far too lazy. Either way conversion is crappy and my sister is in dire need of a decent free computer, shes a Graphics Designer.

I'll check the back right now then.

Kornman00
August 13th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I've blown two 360 power bricks in the past 2.6 years living in germany, you'll need to get a transformer (http://www.alibaba.com/product/wen518-10901175-10669282/AC_Step_up_Down_Transformer_110v_220v_.html) if you want to plug your american brick in. I use a universal outlet adaptor (no power transforming done) for charging things like my laptop and ipod (the power boxes for both can handle 220v). Since I live on an american installation whose living quaters were refurbished a few years back my room also has 110v outlets which I am most grateful for and thus don't bitch as much for having to be stationed over here.

Limited
August 13th, 2009, 06:26 AM
If it's any help mine says Input AC 200v-240v, Output DC 203W.

I know you'd have to get a new one for sure.

Abdurahman
August 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
You could also buy one of those step up voltage transformers for really cheap these days off amazon and ebay.

Mr Buckshot
August 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Most personal computers and cell phones are designed to be compatible with a wide range of power standards. Don't open up your computer, look on the back for a power switch to change it to Euro standards. Of course you'll need to either buy a plug adapter to use the European sockets, or just buy a new cable in Germany.

For the videogame console, you need a transformer as its power supply unit is bound to only one standard at a time I think.

Bastinka
August 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I've blown two 360 power bricks in the past 2.6 years living in germany, you'll need to get a transformer (http://www.alibaba.com/product/wen518-10901175-10669282/AC_Step_up_Down_Transformer_110v_220v_.html) if you want to plug your american brick in. I use a universal outlet adaptor (no power transforming done) for charging things like my laptop and ipod (the power boxes for both can handle 220v). Since I live on an american installation whose living quaters were refurbished a few years back my room also has 110v outlets which I am most grateful for and thus don't bitch as much for having to be stationed over here.
Right, thought so. You completely sure that you must have this? You using the transformer for 220 to 110 or the other way around?

As for what I posted earlier, another guy tried just buying a power supply and it seemed to work fine. I just don't wanna bring my Xbox all the way over just to watch it melt under the voltage.

Abdurahman
August 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
500 watt

http://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Converter-Transformer-worldwide-included/dp/B000W9T5SW/ref=pd_cp_e_2

1000 watt'

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource%C2%AE-Step-Voltage-Transformer-ST1000/dp/B0022TVX2Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250204239&sr=1-2

Kornman00
August 14th, 2009, 01:14 AM
The 360 power brick will take the hit, but not your actual 360.

Also, 220 to 110

also also, I have an ABUNDANCE of 220 computer cables to the point where its not even funny http://kornnersoftware.com/trillian/rec0.gif

Bastinka
August 14th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I'm hoping Xbox games are one format or that the reader takes PAL and NTSC.

Kornman00
August 14th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I get (most of) my games from the PX, which only sells NTSC games, so I can't comment in that area

Bastinka
August 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Alright then, transformer it is. Carrying my Xbox as my Hand luggage, and the rest of the cables in my real luggage. Leaving tomorrow, hope I have a good flight.

=sw=warlord
August 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Just remember, if your taking your xbox with you and you plan to stay in germany for some time, that console will not read pal disks as it is coded for ntsc.

Bastinka
August 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Either way it'd be cheaper to buy games from the US (Since my mom will still live here with my stepdad) I can ask her to buy a game for less euros than the actual game costs noting the currency conversion.

Probably kinda cheap, but hey I'll get NTSC games :P