PDA

View Full Version : So, I saw District 9

Masterz1337
August 14th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Best fucking movie of the summer. You really haven't seen anything like this. It felt so real and it looked like something that you'd see in the news. CGI was top notch, I don't think i've seen a more believable CGI character before. If aliens came to earth, this film shows how it would go down. If you don't see this, well.... your missing out. Don't wait for the DVD.

Edit: there were a few halo shout outs in the movie, if you watch closely enough.

Heathen
August 14th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Awesome. I was hoping it was good. I was actually awaiting your review.

Ganon
August 14th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Guess i'll have to call up some friends and see if they wanna go

ThePlague
August 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Seeing this shit for my birthday for sure!

t3h m00kz
August 14th, 2009, 04:03 AM
goin to watch it tomorrow, the shit looks bad ass.

Limited
August 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
It's out?????

annihilation
August 14th, 2009, 05:15 AM
The best movie this year by far!
I never seen a movie like this. Trust me, it will blow your mind.
I havn't seen a movie this good since Independence Day

jngrow
August 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Didn't see any of the "Halo shout outs", oh well. Yeah. Fucking great. Seriously. I was amazed. Best movie of the summer. For the first time in forever, satisying action scenes, not blurry/cut/hardcore/grunge/wtfamievenlookingat. Super exciting. Great ending. Emotionally enthralling, a couple of parts really got to me.

Dwood
August 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I so want to see that movie. Looks awesome...

rossmum
August 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Really stoked for this, hopefully I'll be able to drag some mates along so I can go see it

sdavis117
August 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Oh god I want to see this movie bad.

I'll have to go to it some time soon.

odseraphim
August 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I want to see this, but I also want to see Ponyo :allears:

Maybe I'll wait till Avatar comes out? :smith:

I never get to see any movies anymore, too busy, and this weekend is my 6-year wedding anniversary, so yeah, no movies, unless they involve naked people dancing horizontally :pervert:

Con
August 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
It's out?????

gotta see this nao

Jelly
August 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Released on the 4th September in the UK.

:mad:

Limited
August 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM

gotta see this nao
Comes out 4th September for UK, even fucking Kazakhstan got it on 13th August, what the hell?!?

Amit
August 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It's out?????

Comes out 4th September for UK, even fucking Kazakhstan got it on 13th August, what the hell?!?

That is fuckedddd. I want to see this ASAP but I don't have much time. Maybe sometime next week. But I still haven't seen The Half Blood Prince either :|

Advancebo
August 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Rated R :saddowns:

Masterz1337
August 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
HBP was disappointing, your not missing anything special. Terminator Salvation was better.

Amit
August 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I don't' care. Terminator was way over-hyped.

Mr Buckshot
August 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'll see it if I can find enough friends interested enough to join me. Trailer excited me from the start.

As for the harry potter movies, I'm not a fan of the series, read all 7 books but wasn't particularly impressed, so I'm not seeing those. Terminator Salvation was entertaining, yes over-hyped, but not a loss.

District 9, however, looks like it could the best movie I'll see this summer since Up.

Alwin Roth
August 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
God Damn you guys, my father just went to canada, so i have no ride for the movie... til next week friday.

Warsaw
August 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Now you know how it feels when us US people have to wait a year for whatever Doctor Who or Torchwood series is showing over there. :v:

Definitely going to see this one.

thehoodedsmack
August 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Buh-bye, boys! Off to see the movie! :iamafag:

Warsaw
August 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Me too, 10:45 showing. :realsmug:

thehoodedsmack
August 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
10:15 :realsmug:

kid908
August 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Prob going to go see it with meh father tomorrow. I heard it was gory as fuck.

Dwood
August 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Rated R :saddowns:

Dude... if we rated this site with movie ratings it'd be considered Rated XXX. :v:

If you can browse here you'll probably see more f-words than any movie can put out.

Siliconmaster
August 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Just got back from seeing a 7:25 showing. I am very impressed! I'd probably appreciate it more the second viewing, but this was definitely one of, if not the most unusual sci-fi films I have ever seen. The first half hour or so I was so disoriented at the off-hand way the aliens were presented that they looked really silly to me, but once I got adjusted to it I completely forgot they weren't on set with the actors. The CG is so good my mind just couldn't process it.

Prob going to go see it with meh father tomorrow. I heard it was gory as fuck.

Lmao. True, but it's lolgross gory, not ohgodmyeyes gory. Every bit of it was deserved and purposeful.

If you can browse here you'll probably see more f-words than any movie can put out.

Honestly, I've never heard someone say "fuck" in an Afrikaans accent as many times as in that movie. Sounded so unusual that every time I heard it I was fascinated by it.

Overall, I'd rate it as very good, and I recommend it to all. :neckbeard:

Curiously, what were the Halo shout-outs? If they contain spoilers pm me instead of posting here.

Atty
August 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Saw it earlier today, it was top notch.

P.S. What were the halo shot outs?

Futzy
August 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Fuck I was supposed to go see this today but my friends were late and we had to go see GI Joe :(

Atty
August 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Waste of time.

jngrow
August 14th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Fuck I was supposed to go see this today but my friends were late and we had to go see GI Joe :(
Well that sucks. A lot.

Atty
August 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
According to one of my friends the sniper rifle they were using was the Halo rifle?

ThePlague
August 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
According to one of my friends the sniper rifle they were using was the Halo rifle?
:o

that now makes the movie even better to see.

Atty
August 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty certain the MNU trucks (looked like GE Chevrolet Colorados) were what they had planned to refit into Worthogs on the Halo movie. They had that kind of stance and the tires looked appropriate. Just some body work and you've got a 1,000,000 teenagers dream car.

Siliconmaster
August 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Okay, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I generally noted, oh, that looks vaguely Haloish, and then kept watching.

On that note, the sniper rifle owned the SHIT out of stuff. Lol. I mean, it makes sense going on how own-tacular the Halo sniper is, but it made me laugh.

kid908
August 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm pretty certain the MNU trucks (looked like GE Chevrolet Colorados) were what they had planned to refit into Worthogs on the Halo movie. They had that kind of stance and the tires looked appropriate. Just some body work and you've got a 1,000,000 teenagers dream car.

Pics. a slideshow would also be nice.:realsmug:

Atty
August 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Okay, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I generally noted, oh, that looks vaguely Haloish, and then kept watching.

On that note, the sniper rifle owned the SHIT out of stuff. Lol. I mean, it makes sense going on how own-tacular the Halo sniper is, but it made me laugh.Yeah, that thing was disgusting! The first time I saw it hit the ***** I was like, WHAT THE SHIT THAT WAS A BULLET?!

Siliconmaster
August 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, that thing was disgusting! The first time I saw it hit the ***** I was like, WHAT THE SHIT THAT WAS A BULLET?!

A good comparison would be in the Halo 3 short, Landfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxdvGO1oOF0), when the marine uses the sniper on that brute. Same BLAM-CRUNCH.

thehoodedsmack
August 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Well, I liked the movie. I didn't quite care for the direction they took story-wise, though. They could have done something a little cooler without losing the moral and political messages of the movie. A handful of people even left partway through, probably owing to the fact that the movie can be rather slow paced. I think the later trailers gave the impression of an action-thriller, and people really didn't know what it was they were going to see.

Siliconmaster
August 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Left in the middle? Wow. Even if our theater sucks, at least people are respectful enough to watch the movies all the way through.

Story-wise I liked it, though I'd have to see it again with a critical eye to really think about it.

Corndogman
August 15th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Best fucking movie of the year! It met all of my expectations and so much more. I'm just so relieved that a movie of this caliber has finally come out, instead of most of the b-movie stuff we've been getting.

Also, I knew that sniper rifle looked vaguely familiar, but I didn't even think about it until after since I was like "holy shit that is fucking badass!" the whole time.

loveitloveitloveit, go see it now.

Warsaw
August 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Just got back from seeing it, and I must say, it was pretty damn awesome. The pacing, in my opinion, was fine; then again, I knew what it was I was going to see. Nobody left part-way through it though. I think the story was classic; oppressor becomes the victim, with the also classic international weapons-grab.

Yes, there was an NTW in there (Halo sniper). I couldn't make out if it was the 20mm or 14.5mm version, though my guess is that it's the 14.5mm since that is better for anti-armour uses.

The end leaves it open for a sequel, but also wraps it up so if there isn't one, it's still good. Yeah, a lot of questions unanswered, but that was intended; can't really knock points for that because a lot of movies and games do that (like Halo).

Cortexian
August 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Just got back from seeing G.I. Joe at 7:15pm and then District 9 and 10:05pm with DusterBuster, G.I. Joe was a decent flick but I'd wait to see it on dvd/computer/bluray if I were you. District 9 on the other hand was fucking AWESOME, I love how they were able to transition between the documentary style shooting to the typical action-movie-plot-based shooting! So it's definitely one of my favorite movies in the last 5~ years, though DusterBuster might beg to differ, since he ran out of the theater and threw up around the 45 minute mark because of the "alien experiments" and gore and stuff. :ugh:

He claims the theater was too hot and that's what caused it, but I know better. :realsmug:

El Lobo
August 15th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Such a cool fucking movie. Really interesting story, loved the way it was filmed, got emotionally invested in the characters' fates (was actually dreading anything happening to the kid prawn), and was blown away by how awesome the action scenes were. A sequel could be very interesting if they decide to make one.

After seeing this, I do not see how anyone can say that Halo can't work as a live action movie. Those prawns might as well have been elites, and they looked damn good to me. Just throw in some Battle Rifles and a ring and you have Halo.

:lobo:

SnaFuBAR
August 15th, 2009, 02:44 AM

No... the Halo rifle is actually a horribly redone South African Mechem NTW-20 (http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm). Halo fanboys :lolugh:.

jngrow
August 15th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Who thought it was hilarious the way Wikus' accent sounded when he said fuck?

"FOOKING FOOK" "FOOKING HIT ME IN THE HEAD WITH A FOOOWKING LOLLI"

Awesome.

Siliconmaster
August 15th, 2009, 02:48 AM
No... the Halo rifle is actually a horribly redone South African Mechem NTW-20 (http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm). Halo fanboys :lolugh:.

Well frak me sideways...

Who thought it was hilarious the way Wikus' accent sounded when he said fuck?

"FOOKING FOOK" "FOOKING HIT ME IN THE HEAD WITH A FOOOWKING LOLLI"

Agreed. :v:

Warsaw
August 15th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Such a cool fucking movie. Really interesting story, loved the way it was filmed, got emotionally invested in the characters' fates (was actually dreading anything happening to the kid prawn), and was blown away by how awesome the action scenes were. A sequel could be very interesting if they decide to make one.

After seeing this, I do not see how anyone can say that Halo can't work as a live action movie. Those prawns might as well have been elites, and they looked damn good to me. Just throw in some Battle Rifles and a ring and you have Halo.

It can't work because the human props (which are already kind of outrageous in the games) will look like plastic shit next to anything CGI and because Spielberg is doing it instead of Peter Jackson :v:.

n00b1n8R
August 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
It can't work because the human props (which are already kind of outrageous in the games) will look like plastic shit next to anything CGI and because Spielberg is doing it instead of Peter Jackson :v:.
Did you see the live-action shorts?

kid908
August 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I didn't know neill was a visual effect artist and 3d animator. I guess that's how he got all what you guys are calling top notch cgi with a 30m film budget. I really want to see this today.

Siliconmaster
August 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Did you see the live-action shorts?

Did you just see D9? Lol. I do understand the Spielberg point though. Won't be the same CG-live action mix.

thehoodedsmack
August 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Now that I'm thinking back on it, it wasn't all I hoped it would be. I think most of the documentary-style portions may have ben more useful as a viral campaign. That way more time could be devoted to story aspects, such as a more detailed first contact, why the Colonel hated the Prawns so much, or why the Prawns didn't use their superior weapons when shit started going sour. Still a good movie, but I'm finding myself more and more perplexed.

Corndogman
August 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
But Smack, the documentary parts really were devoted to story aspects if you think about. The story really had more focus on the characters, which was what the beginning was mostly about. I've heard lot of people say that it was too slow and boring in the beginning, but it was really just building the story and characters during that part, and it wasn't meant to be an all out action film in the first place. I feel that it had the perfect pace and balance between story and action.

thehoodedsmack
August 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
The documentary parts gave a decent background, and a good forshadowing, when you find out something happens with Wickus. But in my mind, that would have been great for attracting attention to the movie. It's all good, though. I think I was just expecting too much.

Siliconmaster
August 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I had no idea at all what to expect, so I was surprised throughout. During the second viewing I'll be able to pay closer attention to the actual production values.

t3h m00kz
August 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
... why the Colonel hated the Prawns so much, or why the Prawns didn't use their superior weapons when shit started going sour.

spoilers ;D
The last thing you'd want is to start a war up with a planet that's allowing you to live there, even if they are total dickheads. Plus, let's face it, they wouldn't win. Humans outnumbered them vastly, even if our technology is less effective than theirs.

That, or, maybe they're just really against killing, but are willing to occasionally beat the shit out of someone from time to time. Who knows, they're aliens, their logic is bound to be different than ours. I mean they traded their weapons for cat food, seems like they thought living was more important than slaughter.

Overall the movie left a lot of unanswered questions, like why the ship decided to land over earth in the first place, or the whole situation behind Wickus' wife and if she was against him for his father.

Best damn movie I've seen this year. The CGI was amazing.

Atty
August 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
, why the Colonel hated the Prawns so much,.Racism, lack of understanding, abusive father, etc. Take your pick. He was the embodiment of what we're supposed to believe a large portion of the human population felt about the prawns.

thehoodedsmack
August 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Racism, lack of understanding, abusive father, etc. Take your pick. He was the embodiment of what we're supposed to believe a large portion of the human population felt about the prawns.

Another thing that wasn't clearly explained. Why was everyone so anti-prawn? Just because they suffered from a case of tentacle-face? Or was it because they were resorting to violence and shady activities? Which of course, was our fault for segregating them in slums to begin with. We get to see that they're more than capable of compassion, understanding, and intelligent thought, so why was there no formal sit-downs? Seems like a whole lot of mess could have been avoided if we had sopped beating them 'round the head for a few minutes and just asked what was up. But then I suppose the movie wouldn't have been as interesting. =__=

Atty
August 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Another thing that wasn't clearly explained. Why was everyone so anti-prawn? Just because they suffered from a case of tentacle-face? Or was it because they were resorting to violence and shady activities? Which of course, was our fault for segregating them in slums to begin with. We get to see that they're more than capable of compassion, understanding, and intelligent thought, so why was there no formal sit-downs? Seems like a whole lot of mess could have been avoided if we had sopped beating them 'round the head for a few minutes and just asked what was up. But then I suppose the movie wouldn't have been as interesting. =__=The entire point of this movie was to show how humans would treat aliens. They were outsiders to our world, they weren't born here, they don't belong here, etc, that was our attitude and therefore we gave them the worst part of the neighborhood to live in.

I admit the main story had a few holes in it's logic but hey, so does our own history in dealing with similar situations of our own people.

El Lobo
August 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
People were disgruntled because the government was spending money taking care of the prawns, as shown by the interviews near the start of the movie. Just looked up Johannesburg on wikipedia, close to 40% of the population is unemployed. They saw the government spending resources on the prawns and got jealous and spiteful.

EDIT: what atty said.

Rorschach
August 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Seeing it at 8:25 and I can't wait. I'll post back around eleven or something and report.

ExAm
August 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Didn't see any of the "Halo shout outs", oh well.

The design of the aliens is vaguely remeniscent of the Elites. Double jointed legs, hunched posture, and a couple other things i don't remember. Also, there's a guy using an NTW-20 rifle in one of the scenes, which is the rifle that the Halo sniper rifle was based off of. I didn't see anything else that could qualify, I don't think.

Jean-Luc
August 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
The design of the aliens is vaguely remeniscent of the Elites. Double jointed legs, hunched posture, and a couple other things i don't remember.
I cannot make the connection from District 9 aliens -> Elites purely based on double jointed legs and a hunched over form. imo, they resemble something more like Saren from Mass Effect.

jngrow
August 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I cannot make the connection from District 9 aliens -> Elites purely based on double jointed legs and a hunched over form. imo, they resemble something more like Saren from Mass Effect.
Yes, the Turians, or whatever they're called. Much more similar.

AND FUCK YOU EXAM, CHANGE YOUR GODDAMN AVATAR, GLENN BECK'S FUCKING FACE IS SO FUCKING ANNOYING GAH.

Siliconmaster
August 15th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Another thing that wasn't clearly explained. Why was everyone so anti-prawn? Just because they suffered from a case of tentacle-face? Or was it because they were resorting to violence and shady activities? Which of course, was our fault for segregating them in slums to begin with. We get to see that they're more than capable of compassion, understanding, and intelligent thought, so why was there no formal sit-downs? Seems like a whole lot of mess could have been avoided if we had sopped beating them 'round the head for a few minutes and just asked what was up. But then I suppose the movie wouldn't have been as interesting. =__=

I do also want to point out that the movie was set in South Africa, a country with a fascinating and horrifying history of racial abuse and misunderstanding. I found that injecting that history into an alternate futuristic scenario was a very interesting view through the looking glass.

Cortexian
August 15th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Heh... Dad dragged me to see it again tonight after watching Harry Potter, in line as I type...

- Posted from BlackBerry.

Dwood
August 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I do also want to point out that the movie was set in South Africa, a country with a fascinating and horrifying history of racial abuse and misunderstanding. I found that injecting that history into an alternate futuristic scenario was a very interesting view through the looking glass.

ding ding ding!!!! In South Africa after they had their fun with Apartheid and things became 'democratic', the major political powers don't associate by ideals so much as race. There's a White man's party, and there's the Black 'parties'.... Truly South Africa was the perfect place for such a thing/movie, no?

Rorschach
August 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Not to mention, of course, that the writer/director is from South Africa. :p

I didn't see anything else that could qualify, I don't think.
And then in the end there's the clip of him calling his wife an angel and saying her veil was like a "halo". Trivial at best, but still relevant.

No matter what, though, see this movie, people. My god, see this movie. Easily the best movie this side of The Dark Knight. Perfect segue to the Oscar movie season.

Atty
August 15th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Now to see how that Avatar movie holds up. >:

Sel
August 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
HEY

DICKHEADS

ICE AGE 3

Siliconmaster
August 16th, 2009, 12:23 AM
HEY

DICKHEAD

OLD.
AND WRONG THREAD.
AND ENOUGH WITH THE ALL CAPS.

<3

t3h m00kz
August 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM

or Grievous from Star Wars.

Bodzilla
August 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
or Grievous from Star Wars.
can you guys stop being such incredible nerds for 5 minutes.

looks good this movie but i have absolutely no idea what its about. so i should be pleasantly surprised when i see it in the cinema :D

dg
August 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM
It was a great movie. I recommend everyone to see it!

And enjoy Modacity! I'm off to college in about 8 hours, so goodbye everyone! :-)

Bodzilla
August 16th, 2009, 01:15 AM
D:!

DG NO

you havnt written your book yet ;__;

Siliconmaster
August 16th, 2009, 01:17 AM
It was a great movie. I recommend everyone to see it!

And enjoy Modacity! I'm off to college in about 8 hours, so goodbye everyone! :-)

College is not the end of Modacity- it is merely another opportunity to spend more time on it. :downs: Even so, good luck and farewell!

Choking Victim
August 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The design of the aliens is vaguely remeniscent of the Elites. Double jointed legs, hunched posture, and a couple other things i don't remember. Also, there's a guy using an NTW-20 rifle in one of the scenes, which is the rifle that the Halo sniper rifle was based off of. I didn't see anything else that could qualify, I don't think.
No one else felt that:

-When the transformation first started and he first found his hand, he looked like a flood human form.

-At some point in the film they found a dissected prawn that looked like a flood infection form.

Those are just two things I noticed, but I was highly intoxicated when I saw it.

mech
August 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Was an awesome movie, CGI was very believable. Sounds were great too, instagib , mechs, gravity gun all make for an excellent movie. That mech felt like dog to me.

:mech2:

ExAm
August 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, and those cock fights they were having with the little creatures, those little guys looked like infection forms.

PopeAK49
August 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I have not seen it yet. But I'm going to since I love alien movies. Also, when is John Carpenters; the thing 2 going to come out?

ThePlague
August 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Fuuuuu, couldn't see it yesterday, totally doing it this friday without a doubt.

p0lar_bear
August 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Great shit, I must say. Story was a little eh at first, but ultimately it and the action scenes kept me hooked right up until the end.

The documentary presentation of the film left me with one gripe though: what ultimately happened with Christopher? Did he bail? Did he organize a rescue party? Did he come back to declare war? Did Wikus ever get fixed? I got closure on the major plot lines, such as the eviction and where Wikus is now, but not on the impending long-term things. The movie was left open, but not enough for a sequel.

El Lobo
August 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM
District 9 was a piece of shit. I would have rather seen The Time Traveler's Wife than that 2 hour waste of time.

I'm not going to post any spoilers, but you people are braindead if you thought that was even the slightest bit entertaining. :maddowns:Will with a 9/10 on IMDB, an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes, and an A from both critics and users on Yahoo Movies, I would say quite a few people would disagree with you. Very entertaining movie.

ExAm
August 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Great shit, I must say. Story was a little eh at first, but ultimately it and the action scenes kept me hooked right up until the end.

The documentary presentation of the film left me with one gripe though: what ultimately happened with Christopher? Did he bail? Did he organize a rescue party? Did he come back to declare war? Did Wikus ever get fixed? I got closure on the major plot lines, such as the eviction and where Wikus is now, but not on the impending long-term things. The movie was left open, but not enough for a sequel.
Check this shit (http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/district-9-director-alrea.php)

Sequel virtually guaranteed judging by its reception. It's pretty much a financial obligation for Tristar to ask him for a sequel now.

Ganon
August 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
District 9 was a piece of shit. I would have rather seen The Time Traveler's Wife than that 2 hour waste of time.

I'm not going to post any spoilers, but you people are braindead if you thought that was even the slightest bit entertaining. :maddowns:

I guess we're all braindead and you are something special!

Inferno
August 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Amazing movie. Completely through me off. I was expecting the run of the mill action movie with a badass character whos balls are made of steel and doesn't afraid of anything.

I got a movie with a character who seemed real and not like a action hero ripoff and a plot line that was well written and very deep and (somewhat) believable.

I forgot that the aliens were even CGI they looked so real. :iamafag:

paladin
August 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
@ pedobear

At the end, it shows Wikus's wife with the metal flower, then it goes to a prawn making one in a junk pile. One can only assume that he was fully transformed. But who knows, maybe christopher can still cure him even after he has.

AWESOME MOVIE. Good story, mildly funny at times, and plenty of action. My only beef was that it was almost too shaky-cam. Not as bad a Cloverfield or anything. And I know most of it was supposed to be a documentary.

Overall, its a good movie to see.

ExAm
August 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I got a movie with a character who seemed real and not like a action hero ripoff and a plot line that was well written and very deep and (somewhat) believable.The guy ad-libbed a lot of the dialogue to make it seem more realistic.

Warsaw
August 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM
And he did a pretty good job of it. He stuttered and improvised according to the in-world situations, like the "chemistry set" in Christopher's shack and how he'd seen this sort of thing a lot before (and he most definitely hasn't), just to save face for MNU.

Was I the only one who thought that Wickus, the original oppressor, looked a little bit like Hitler?

paladin
August 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The guy ad-libbed a lot of the dialogue to make it seem more realistic.

What, did he replace every word with fuck. He said it so many times.

Choking Victim
August 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I thought it was my imagination.

Cagerrin
August 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I thought it was my imagination.
His accent makes it sound funny, so it isn't hard to not notice sometimes.

Am I the only one seeing the prawn weapons as inspired by UT3?

mech
August 16th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Instagib :allears:

ExAm
August 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM

Wouldn't you if you were in that situation? I know I would.

Ifafudafi
August 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Precisely what I thought :iamafag:

Just saw it, loved it. It's one of those few movies that can cater to both the snobs who enjoy a complex, original plot, and the people at the other end who just like massive goregasms. I fit into both categories.

CG was especially brilliant, but the thing I appreciated most was that (at least until the last act) that they used the effects to enhance the film rather than show them off at every opportunity.

PopeAK49
August 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Heh.

Warsaw
August 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
His accent makes it sound funny, so it isn't hard to not notice sometimes.

Am I the only one seeing the prawn weapons as inspired by UT3?

Seemed more like Mass Effect-inspired to me, just looking at the general shapes and colour schemes. I liked that huge rifle Christopher was using...=3.

Cagerrin
August 16th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Seemed more like Mass Effect-inspired to me, just looking at the general shapes and colour schemes. I liked that huge rifle Christopher was using...=3.
Could be, I haven't had the chance to play it yet so idk. Was mostly just thinking the Enforcer, but now that I look up images of it it looks nothing like any of the alien weapons besides the color scheme.

paladin
August 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah, probably. Ill give some one a $1 if they count the number of times. :realsmug:

p0lar_bear
August 17th, 2009, 02:53 AM
@ pedobear

At the end, it shows Wikus's wife with the metal flower, then it goes to a prawn making one in a junk pile. One can only assume that he was fully transformed. But who knows, maybe christopher can still cure him even after he has.

MASSIVE SPOILERS WITHIN FOR ALL WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE:
I know that, it's a given that Wikus is now a prawn after cleaning house pretty good, and MNU got pwned right into next Tuesday. I'm primarily talking about the mini cliffhanger we're left on; Christopher (the prawn Wikus was helping) got on the mothership and got the fuck out, didn't take anybody with him but his son, and promised Wikus he'd be back in 3 years, because he was going back for help.

I was hoping the movie would show us the result of that hiatus, instead all we get in in-universe speculation. Did he simply flee and abandon everyone? Is he going to get a rescue team? Or are the prawns going to come back en masse and rape the living shit out of us for the atrocities Christopher saw at MNU, and not to mention how badly most of humanity treated them?

I know Blokkamp says he's more than likely going to make a sequel, however, this worries me because I don't think there's enough loose ends to warrant a sequel, and that it'll just end up as them milking the popularity of the universe. The only question left unanswered is the ultimate fate of the prawns left behind on Earth (their given relocation doesn't count). Call me crazy, but I think the film showed us too much, but at the same time, didn't show us enough. In other words, it was like one and one-half of a story.

jngrow
August 17th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Personally I liked the open endedness of it, and would love if no sequel came about, but I do agree that they showed us a bit too much, and then not enough.

paladin
August 17th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I know that, it's a given that Wikus is now a prawn after cleaning house pretty good, and MNU got pwned right into next Tuesday. I'm primarily talking about the mini cliffhanger we're left on; Christopher (the prawn Wikus was helping) got on the mothership and got the fuck out, didn't take anybody with him but his son, and promised Wikus he'd be back in 3 years, because he was going back for help.

I was hoping the movie would show us the result of that hiatus, instead all we get in in-universe speculation. Did he simply flee and abandon everyone? Is he going to get a rescue team? Or are the prawns going to come back en masse and rape the living shit out of us for the atrocities Christopher saw at MNU, and not to mention how badly most of humanity treated them?

I know Blokkamp says he's more than likely going to make a sequel, however, this worries me because I don't think there's enough loose ends to warrant a sequel, and that it'll just end up as them milking the popularity of the universe. The only question left unanswered is the ultimate fate of the prawns left behind on Earth (their given relocation doesn't count). Call me crazy, but I think the film showed us too much, but at the same time, didn't show us enough. In other words, it was like one and one-half of a story.

You good sir, took the words out of my mouth. I think Christopher will be back. In the movie, they explained that the aliens were the 'working' class of their race. I can't wait to see the warriors.

Rob Oplawar
August 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Saw it on Friday, but haven't had internet until today.
I absolutely loved it. Very well done.

minor spoiler?
Yeah, what I got out of it was that the Prawns on the mothership were refugees from... something, and that their ship was not quite top-notch for whatever reason, be that it was stolen or damaged in a battle or something else, and that being the working class they didn't really understand how to work any of it, possibly including the weapons.

We'll probably learn more about that in the sequel

Also, speaking of Halo shout-outs, I saw a couple of things that looked to me like Half Life shout-outs as well (but perhaps I'm just projecting).
Killing a guy by throwing a pig at him, anyone? ;)

jngrow
August 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Also, speaking of Halo shout-outs, I saw a couple of things that looked to me like Half Life shout-outs as well (but perhaps I'm just projecting).
Killing a guy by throwing a pig at him, anyone? ;)
The director said he played a lot of HL2: DM in an interview.

paladin
August 17th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, and the gun that balled all the bullets

PopeAK49
August 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
SPOILER!!! SKIP IF YOU WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!

I just watched the movie last night and was really impressed. I was thinking UT lightning gun with instagib when one of the guns blew people to pieces. The pig part made me laugh the most. I feel as if they might make a District 10, the reason I think this is because when Chris saw the dead body of one of his kind on the table he was probably thinking that humanity is a sickining race and that his kind should take revenge on humanity. But then that wouldn't really flow with the feeling of what District 9 was giving us, which were aliens that were treated like rats, and hopefully they can get off earth some how. But we won't know until a sequel really is released.

The whole movie kind of made me hate being a person because of the way they treated the prawns. The ending was quite sad too. Overall, I give this movie a 10/10.

Rob Oplawar
August 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
You know, there is such a thing as the [spoiler] tag. Just sayin.

PopeAK49
August 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Well sometimes my super male genes kick in and its harder to find things. Thanks though.

Cojafoji
August 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
District 9 was awful. Awfully acted, awfully written, awfully directed. The story had a great premise, but there were plot holes, and the story was stretched out and implausible...

Really don't waste your money...

ExAm
August 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
District 9 was awful. Awfully acted, awfully written, awfully directed. The story had a great premise, but there were plot holes, and the story was stretched out and implausible...

Really don't waste your money...You're a clear minority here, man.

ChemicalFizz
August 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Budgets:
District 9 - $30 million
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - $200 million
G.I. Joe - $170 million
Terminator Salvation - $200 million
The Dark Knight - $185 million (I guess this was justified seeing how it went IMAX and all that)

That's impressive.

Cagerrin
August 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
And if G.I. Joe wasn't on that list, there'd be a perfect inverse relationship between the budget and the quality of the movies.

Siliconmaster
August 19th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ouch. Not a fan either, I'd assume.

Futzy
August 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
And if G.I. Joe wasn't on that list, there'd be a perfect inverse relationship between the budget and the quality of the movies.
GI Joe was a terribly generic movie.

Siliconmaster
August 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I suppose I should have clarified on which direction the curve was going....

I agree on G.I. Joe.

Cagerrin
August 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
GI Joe was a terribly generic movie.
Did I use "inverse" wrongly or something? Was trying to say that within that list, G.I. Joe not included, the movie budgets get larger as the quality decreases.

Siliconmaster
August 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Interesting- A lot of people I talk to reference TDK as an example of a big-budget movie that was actually good, so your list threw me off.

Edit: And I think you used "inverse" correctly.

Cagerrin
August 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Interesting- A lot of people I talk to reference TDK as an example of a big-budget movie that was actually good, so your list threw me off.

Edit: And I think you used "inverse" correctly.
Not saying it was bad, was thinking more in terms of budget>larger budget>larger budget, not budget>6x budget>2x budget.

Cojafoji
August 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
You're a clear minority here, man.
I may be in the minority, but it just wasn't good in my eyes. Like I said, the setting was incredible, and even though the story line was awful, it was still an awesome premise. The parallels as well, between the apartheid and current treatment of international refugees, was well done.

I just thought that the story was weak.

p0lar_bear
August 20th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I may be in the minority, but it just wasn't good in my eyes. Like I said, the setting was incredible, and even though the story line was awful, it was still an awesome premise. The parallels as well, between the apartheid and current treatment of international refugees, was well done.

You gotta applaud it at least for doing something different (i.e. it's not a fucking remake/reimagination of something). If anything, at least put it into the same bin as Mirror's Edge: cool idea, not-so-great execution.

Despite what I said and my gripes, it's one of the best movies I've seen lately, along with Up.

Cojafoji
August 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
You gotta applaud it at least for doing something different (i.e. it's not a fucking remake/reimagination of something). If anything, at least put it into the same bin as Mirror's Edge: cool idea, not-so-great execution.
Definitely.

Rorschach
August 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Sure, the fact that they decided to focus a storyline on a few personal characters narrowed the scope a bit from what we saw in the trailer, the beginning of the movie, or Alive in Joburg (which I honestly would have preferred to have seen), but that was probably necessary to sustain it for a feature-length movie with mass appeal.

Can you be more specific about what you thought was out-of-place?

Despite what I said and my gripes, it's one of the best movies I've seen lately, along with Up.
Okay, can someone please explain to me what the hell everyone seemed to like so much about this goddamn movie. Am I the only person out there who thought it was a retarded piece of shit, especially next to last year's WALL-E?

Rob Oplawar
August 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
it's not a fucking remake/reimagination of something

Not that I disagree with your point, but it's funny you should say that in particular, considering it's pretty much a remake/reimagining of Alive in Jouberg. :p

cheezdue
August 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I was suppose to go see this movie yesterday. :(

Aerowyn
August 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I want to see this, but I also want to see Ponyo

Ponyo was adorable. Just watch the Japanese version (it's been out for years). If you buy into the english-dubbed version you're just putting your money into the Jonas/Cyrus empire.

Subs before dubs, man.

Also, I watched D-9 last night. Very interesting, but the gross parts were a little too far on the gross side for me to handle. Fingernails. D:

ExAm
August 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Heh, just remembered something I found hilarious
I love how the warlord has that little pit he puts people in so he can tower over them in his wheelchair

p0lar_bear
August 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Okay, can someone please explain to me what the hell everyone seemed to like so much about this goddamn movie. Am I the only person out there who thought it was a retarded piece of shit, especially next to last year's WALL-E?You either like it or you don't. There's something about Pixar's films that just draw me in.

And for the record, no I didn't see the IMAX or 3D versions of Up.

Not that I disagree with your point, but it's funny you should say that in particular, considering it's pretty much a remake/reimagining of Alive in Jouberg. :pNever heard of it. But I stand corrected.

Damn it.

Though what I had in mind really was stuff like The Dark Knight, G.I. Joe, etc. Taking a big-time/super-popular concept and basing your movie on an already existing universe.

StankBacon
August 20th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Not that I disagree with your point, but it's funny you should say that in particular, considering it's pretty much a remake/reimagining of Alive in Jouberg. :p

which is a 6 minute short by the same guy.

NullZero
August 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM
why no UK?

Heathen
August 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
yes

PlasbianX
August 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
I saw this. I was highly impressed about everything except the ending.

Timo
August 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Was pretty uninterested at the start, but overall an awesome movie. I agree with p0lar about a possible sequel though.

ASPWolf
August 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think the movie pwns. As for a sequel I also agree, it seems as if its setup for one, would be ashame to just leave the ending like that.

SnaFuBAR
August 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wow... that was a great movie... Very engaging and well developed.

Siliconmaster
August 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM
I just saw the movie again. I liked even better the second time around. The documentary stuff at the beginning makes a lot more sense, which I think is purposeful, and the aliens didn't look fake at all to me this time around. In addition, the plot holes, IMO, turned out to be nonexistant. Where before I had wondered why they didn't just call the mothership to pick them up from the beginning, this time I decided that they couldn't have called it until they got the fuel. Makes perfect sense to me.

I now have a new favorite movie.

Also, FOCK. ^_^

cheezdue
August 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Just finished watching it. The movie kept getting better and better after they attacked MNU. Definitely going to get this when it comes out on dvd.

TeeKup
August 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
There was...an excessive amount of gore in the film, more so than I expected. Still, I rather enjoyed it.

Cortexian
August 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
There was...an excessive amount of gore in the film, more so than I expected. Still, I rather enjoyed it.
Be a man. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk)

SonicXtreme
September 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Watched it on release in the UK , great film , enjoyed the story , gore , action , effects and especially the mecha suit at the end :O , in all WIN :)

PopeAK49
September 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I think the movie prawns.

:realsmug:

TVTyrant
September 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Just saw it last night. Great fucking movie. Honestly the best of the summer.

Rob Oplawar
September 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM
:realsmug:
In MNU's grand chess game to acquire the alien technology I guess you could say they were all just...
Prawns.
:caruso:

PopeAK49
September 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
:lmao: NICE!

itszutak
September 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I just saw D9 a few days ago. Fucking amazing, would watch again (If I get a chance).

Not sure what to say that hasn't already been said, but I loved the ending. Actually, I'd be hard-pressed to say which part I liked the most, pretty much all of it was amazing (But the experientation part near the beginning was pretty painful)

Poor prawns :<

EX12693
September 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I liked the inter-planetary prostitution part...:pervert:

:ohdear:

ThePlague
September 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Saw it yesterday, liked it. Was kinda weird in the beginning but ended up well.

UnevenElefant5
September 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I still feel bad for the prawn they made him shoot :(
spoiler'd incase some people don't want to know. Not really that important, but just in case.

TVTyrant
September 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM

In response....
I dont want a sequel. I think it would be better that they just left it at that. Pretty much a pefect ending if you ask me...

UnevenElefant5
September 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
REALLY BIG ENDING SPOILER:
I want wilkus to to get back to human form :(
Also, talking in spoilers is annoying :S

=sw=warlord
September 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Saw this in the cinema today, was epic really impressed with the cgi and some of those guns.....woah now those are guns.

UnevenElefant5
September 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Bets on how long till someone tries to recreate it for CE?

Alwin Roth
September 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM
5 months.