PDA

View Full Version : So my Dog is...

Alwin Roth
August 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Posted this on Yahoo Answers, but everyone was giving stupid crap answers, so...

My dog is having these leg/fear problems.
When he walks, his back legs when this "crack" sound, not like a loud one, something you hear when you smack two knee caps together, gently.

At the same time, he's turned from crazy-ass-barking-at-squirrels-dog to a complete pussy. He won't go "do-his-business" outside, unless we go at least a good 6 blocks from our house to this open field.

HOWEVER! when my father is home he seems to go outside more often.
The vet said it's because of the pain, and we don't want to do surgery because it's a bit too much ($1400 per leg)

People at Yahoo say "Oh lol your dog is scaredy cat of your neighbors/face/family/animals, ROFl Lol, Ha ha. lmao etc.

Extra Info:
-This started happening after we had this tumor removed on the side of his body.
-He's 4 and a half years old.
-He's a mixed breed, Half German Shep Half Yellow Lab.

So, anyone here can help?

annihilation
August 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
German Shepherds are most likely to have hip dysplasia than any other breed so that might the the reason as to why your dog is acting this way. And for the record don't use Y!A for this kind of thing. You'll always get shitty answers.

E: IT could also be what Dee said. Forgot to put that in.

DEElekgolo
August 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
It may be the synovial fluid in between your dog's joins that makes that popping sound, much like what happens when you crack your fingers. But the behavior I am not sure of.

Why is everyone suddenly posting there pet problems?

FreedomFighter7
August 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Because they need your help DEE, you are, THE ONE. :D

Bastinka
August 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/ron_james/iblog/C1422599344/E792862972/Media/pp_mainpic_dogwhisperer.jpg

Alwin Roth
August 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Oh shi, i just noticed that cat thread...

Ganon
August 14th, 2009, 05:05 PM
You would think the vet would know best honestly. My dog had surgery on his hips when he was young, and it costed quite a bit as well. The thing is once an animal has a problem like that, it usually doesn't go away. My dog developed arthritis and battled obesity most of his life :lol: About a week ago his hip finally gave out, we said our goodbyes and he was put down. So unless your dog truly is a pussy, operation may be the best route.

Limited
August 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Can the dog put weight on the leg? Do they find it hard to move their leg (as it they do really slow movements, that look painful?

My dog developed arthritis too like Ganon. We had to put him down, to put him out his misery. He was 10, so he had a good long life. I'd get him checked out ASAP if I was you.

Alwin Roth
August 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
My dog limps only on the left leg, but not 100% of the time, usually when he gets up, he'll limp a little, then walk on all fours...

rossmum
August 14th, 2009, 09:00 PM
and we don't want to do surgery because it's a bit too much ($1400 per leg)
I bet your dog would feel really loved if he could read that.

Which is more important to you, not forking out that much or having a happy pet?

Needles
August 14th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Which is more important to you, not forking out that much or having a happy pet?
I'd always want my pet to be happy, but you have to think about the cost too.

Ki11a_FTW
August 15th, 2009, 01:52 AM
my dog had this one problem where she coulden't even stand up...
my parents took her somewhere though, and she was all better within a few days :D

Ganon
August 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM
my dog had this one problem where she coulden't even stand up...
my parents took her somewhere though, and she was all better within a few days :D

they went away with the old dog and got a look alike :mysterysolved:

Alwin Roth
August 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Yeah, Well first off, we don't have a money tree and no, we can't just pull it out of our asses.
2800 dollars is alot you know, then there's the taxes...
Then second off the doctor says most things that i don't really trust him with
"the operation "could" help him"
See, we had other operations before this leg operation, and they didn't help him as much.
which was before his statement of "it could help him"

Anyhow:
We managed to get him outside by using chicken and rice, He did his business (both). And now he's sitting outside enjoying the air, but he still can't jump or get on top of the beds in our house.
however, he's slowly beginning to climb up and down stairs and a decent pace.