PDA

View Full Version : New Metroid game for Wii. Thoughts?

Pooky
August 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3174587&p=44

So far it's looking cool, but not very Metroid-like. The Prime series was already quite a departure from the side scrolling titles, but it still retained all the traits that made the original games great. Ultra-slow methodical pacing, creepy alien ambience, and an almost overwhelming sense of solitude. What I'm seeing here looks more like Metroid on meth than anything else.

Discuss.

ThePlague
August 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
So, they ruined Metroid? That's what it seems like to me. They threw the good old FPS of it and turned it into another fighting game, which is completely stupid. I can't even come up with reasons why this is so bad, just looking at it makes it bad.

Pooky
August 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
So, they ruined Metroid? That's what it seems like to me. They threw the good old FPS of it and turned it into another fighting game, which is completely stupid. I can't even come up with reasons why this is so bad, just looking at it makes it bad.

Uh...

Good old FPS?

Jean-Luc
August 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
It's astounding how much worse this looks, both graphically and gameplay wise than Metroid Prime.

Ganon
August 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
lol so they pretty much just ruined the series/probably made it better

n00b1n8R
August 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
This has the potential to be awesome if they do it right, but at the same time it seems like they're trying to shoehorn a little too much of a plot (with other human characters) into it (keep in mind I've only ever played 2D metroids so IDK if they did this in the Prime series already).

Still, it's got Riddly and MB in it so it may not be too bad.

Jean-Luc
August 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
You haven't played any of the Metroid Prime series? Go do this...NOW.

n00b1n8R
August 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
NO GC/Wii yet. :saddowns:

sdavis117
August 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Did I just hear Samus talk at the end?

:gonk:

Ganon
August 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Did I just hear Samus talk at the end?

:gonk:

out of all the characters that dont ever talk gordon freeman, gordon freeman and gordon freeman, samus should have been given a voice a long time ago.

n00b1n8R
August 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
She talks in some of the 2D games so why not give her an actual voice vOv

BobtheGreatII
August 14th, 2009, 11:16 PM
She talks in Smash Bros too. Only a bit though. Same girl who does the voice for Zoey (in Brawl). Also yeah... Metroid was originally a side scroller... so I see where they might want to move away from what Retro Studios did with it. All though, Retro studios made Metroid look beautiful. Their only mistake was making Samus really young looking through the game. In Metroid Prime when she took off her helmet, she actually looked like a woman, but as Metroid Prime 2 and 3 came out, they made her look very anime-ish. Which I thought was a poor choice. Still... I'll probably play this, but I won't be expecting much.

odseraphim
August 15th, 2009, 06:27 AM
It's being done by Team Ninja.
I think even THEY are sick of Nintendo screwing up/milking franchises.
Metroid Pinball/Hunters anyone?

Yeah, take me back to the days of side-scrolling action, please.

Arteen
August 15th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I'm excited for this. The Prime games were a departure from the traditional 2D Metroid game, and those were great. Hopefully this will also be a fresh, fun take on the Metroid universe. I'll admit I was hoping for a new 2D DS game, though.

Roostervier
August 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
this looks terrible

Sel
August 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
This looks so incredibly gay.

in before teh lag pronouncing his love of dicks, final fantasy, and metroid.

ODX
August 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
It's being done by Team Ninja.
I think even THEY are sick of Nintendo screwing up/milking franchises.
Metroid Pinball/Hunters anyone?Pinball I can understand, but Hunters was a pretty fun game. The single player was almost like a Prime game on the DS, and the multiplayer was a great addition which I played for many hours.

I do have to admit I'm a bit offset by this new, completely reinvented way of playing the Metroid series though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

teh lag
August 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
This looks so incredibly gay.

in before teh lag pronouncing his love of dicks, final fantasy, and metroid.

Not gonna happen, I too am underwhelmed by this.

Hopefully the "it's just a trailer" effect will come through for me. I WANT this to be good, but so far it doesn't look like it.

Jean-Luc
August 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM
imo, the best way for Metroid to impress me again would be to release the entire Metroid Prime trilogy on PC with improved graphics.

...Please? :saddowns:

ICEE
August 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
metroid prime 1 was the best gamecube game out there. Im all for changing genre within a series, but im disappointed by the graphics in this.

imo, the best way for Metroid to impress me again would be to release the entire Metroid Prime trilogy on PC with improved graphics.

annnnd a devkit

Ganon
August 17th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Seems like this might follow the epic cutscenedness of ssbb. I'll get it just to watch the cutscenes.

Pooky
August 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM

And a real ending for Corruption, instead of the tacked on bullshit ending it has now

t3h m00kz
August 18th, 2009, 05:47 AM
when I saw this I figured "hey it's back to sidescroller" which I thought was kind of cool. Sidescroller Metroid games is where it's at.

BobtheGreatII
August 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
when I saw this I figured "hey it's back to sidescroller" which I thought was kind of cool. Sidescroller Metroid games is where it's at.

But there's no way that you can deny that the Prime trilogy was still good.

Cagerrin
August 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I wish Samus would stop fucking expositing. Also they should have had Jennifer Hale for the English voice, whoever they got sounds really whiny.

ICEE
August 30th, 2010, 06:54 PM
metroid isn't supposed to have characters...

Ifafudafi
September 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Played it 3 times. Twice on Normal and once on Hard (FUUCK). Here's what I think.

In all honesty, it's not a bad game. In fact, it's really good. But both Nintendo and especially Metroid have never settled for "really good;" even Hunters, easily the worst in the series, was miles ahead of nearly all other DS games and even the fucking pinball spinoff was one of the best in the genre.

There's the controls. I don't know what idiot decided that they ABSOLUTELY MUST use only the Wiimote, but the simple addition of a nunchuck could've solved so, so many problems. You'd get complete 360 degree control, you could use the pointer to indicate a general direction for the auto-aim, and dodging could be mapped to its own button(s). All you'd have to do for first person would be to hold down a button (like, say, Z), and you could still move! What a thought!

There's the linearity. Now, I loved Fusion; my only real complaint was the addition of the target marker, but even then, there were doors and bomb blocks and alternate routes everywhere along your way to the objective, whereas here, all doors that don't take you where you need to go are simply locked. While the end result is pretty similar, it comes across as infinitely more restrictive and arbitrary.

And then there's the story.

They could have literally removed every single one of Samus' monologues and not only would the story still make just as much sense but it would be vastly less insipid and redundant, with only slight edits required in a couple of places. The BAWWing over Ridley has already been discussed to death as well. While I'm not opposed to story in a Metroid game, Nintendo either needs to find a much better localization team or scrap the idea altogether.

Oh, and what the dicks happened to the atmosphere? Had they inverted the little scenario early on and made it so that everybody has full wireless communication except you, it could easily have been great. Fusion did brillaintly imho with it's little navigation room setup; those little safe zones emphasized the fact that right after you leave them, you're completely and totally alone. Take that and kill off all the GF troops much sooner and OM could've been solid in that department.

The health/missile system sucked too. I would've been fine with Concentration refilling one energy tank and five or so missiles (with the rest necessitating health pickups or recharge stations) but as it stands, I can't find a justification.

Still fun and still better than Hunters, but I hope that the next game on the plate is another 2D-style Metroid, mabye even on the 3DS (irony).