PDA

View Full Version : Servers!

§þ·Aßynorml
April 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Who, What, When, Where ............ or are we going to multiplay on 12 of Bungie's. Take a ticket and wait to play?

Anybody have any news on a Dedicated Server software for H2? I'd like to do some planning.

§þ·Aßynorml

ridesy
April 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM
DITTO

I too would like to know how the whole "Gaming Live" thing will work and whether or not you can run your own (rented) dedicated server!??

I play Halo still and also COD2 and for both I am admin (along with others who pay for the servers), as we have all found that playing on public servers with no "playing admin" you end of with twits going out to just spoil games by teamkilling and of course cheating!

Of the five of us admining our current Halo server all of the others are saying they won't even think of playing H2Vista unless the admin is done well, as otherwise it just becomes aggro and no fun!

Does anyone know the answer to this question on servers and most importantly ADMIN??????

Ridesy

Xehsin
April 12th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Well first thing first...

Welcome to H2Vista.net, hope you have fun, and stay active. :) (Both of you)

2nd...

Learn english, because i am having trouble understanding what you want.

This is what i think you guys are asking: "Will there be dedicated servers in H2V"

Answer: Check the FAQ. All of your answers are there! But to be nice, becase you guys are new, i shall answer the question. Yes, there will be dedicated servers in H2V, you can make and join games just like Halo PC only if you are using the free silver membership (no waiting for a ticket and playing, and no matchmaking in Silver) There will be SP achievements as well. If you want to use the $50 Gold Membership, then you can have match making, everything Silver membership provides, SP and MP achievements, etc. Hired Gun is trying to solve the online cheating with new measures. Check the FAQ for more information on this, you'll find better answers there.

But before you ask ANYMORE questions, please check the FAQ, it will save your time, and ours. :)

Enjoy your stay at H2Vista.net!

ridesy
April 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Well first thing first...

Welcome to H2Vista.net, hope you have fun, and stay active. :) (Both of you)

2nd...

Learn english, because i am having trouble understanding what you want.

This is what i think you guys are asking: "Will there be dedicated servers in H2V"

Answer: Check the FAQ. All of your answers are there! But to be nice, becase you guys are new, i shall answer the question. Yes, there will be dedicated servers in H2V, you can make and join games just like Halo PC only if you are using the free silver membership (no waiting for a ticket and playing, and no matchmaking in Silver) There will be SP achievements as well. If you want to use the $50 Gold Membership, then you can have match making, everything Silver membership provides, SP and MP achievements, etc. Hired Gun is trying to solve the online cheating with new measures. Check the FAQ for more information on this, you'll find better answers there.

But before you ask ANYMORE questions, please check the FAQ, it will save your time, and ours. :)

Enjoy your stay at H2Vista.net!

Hi,

Firstly I would like to thank you for the time and effort you have clearly put into replying, but:

1. My English is a far better than yours, as I am English and both studied and passed both English languauge and literature exams before you were born!

2. As a frequent forum user (not this one I admit), I have read and checked the FAQ's both here and on many other Halo 2 Vista forums!

3. You, like many before, don't seem to grasp the utter simplicity of the question being asked!

As I have already said, I play Halo PC and COD2 regularly and in both cases I have resorted to getting together with like-minded players to rent a server (or in the case of COD2 we rent four), we did this not to form some "battle clan", but because the public servers out there are full of idiots whose sole intention is to spoil a game by team killing and/or cheating!

By renting the servers we have full admin rights and we kick/ban offenders, our servers are now known as good places to play for fun, but play properly with no Team Killing, no swearing, no racist remarks etc....etc...

So, having not played a console game since the original Sega Mega Drive (that's how old I am) I don't understand who ADMIN's these online servers for H2Vista!??

Punkbuster and other anti-cheat programmes have flaws galore, yes they are better than nothing, but we still get guys "specnading" in COD2 and wallhacking in both.

So to cut a long post short, the question still stands!!

Yes, I know the servers will be "dedicated", but will you be able to rent one, set one up yourself and if not who will actively admin the idiots who just pop in and out teamkilling and avoidiing autobans?

Ridesy

PS: Yes, I'd like to come back and discuss H2vista in the forum after it launches, but no more jibes about English and can someone who does know how the Windows Gaming Live thing works reply to actual questions?

Kornman00
April 12th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I seem to remember them stating that there will be dedicated server support (wouldn't make sense to not have them) when they talked about the different ways the MP experience has changed with the port. As far as renting a server, its up to you to go out and find a server host that you can run a dedicated server app on...

InnerGoat
April 12th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Yes.

Xehsin
April 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hi,

Firstly I would like to thank you for the time and effort you have clearly put into replying, but:

1. My English is a far better than yours, as I am English and both studied and passed both English languauge and literature exams before you were born!

2. As a frequent forum user (not this one I admit), I have read and checked the FAQ's both here and on many other Halo 2 Vista forums!

3. You, like many before, don't seem to grasp the utter simplicity of the question being asked!

Dude, i wasn't talk to you when i said "learn english" I was talking to the person who posted first. He's the one who made this thread. I apologize if i have offended you.

TheGhost
April 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Assuming it works like HaloPC, you can just run the Halo Dedicated Server executable on any machine, and it will act as a server. So you can set up a server on your home computer, if you're looking for a dedicated server, you can rent one from a site like http://www.gameservers.com/ and others (just use Google). You'll also probably be able to RCON to remotely admin the server if it's not at your house, and depending on the host if you're renting a dedicated server, you might be able to reset and FTP via a web control panel.

ridesy
April 13th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Assuming it works like HaloPC, you can just run the Halo Dedicated Server executable on any machine, and it will act as a server. So you can set up a server on your home computer, if you're looking for a dedicated server, you can rent one from a site like http://www.gameservers.com/ and others (just use Google). You'll also probably be able to RCON to remotely admin the server if it's not at your house, and depending on the host if you're renting a dedicated server, you might be able to reset and FTP via a web control panel.

Ghost,

Thanks for the reply, but do you know from anyone that it WILL work the same way as HaloPC, as that is the crux of the question?

As I say we rent a dedicated server in the UK now for HaloPC, but that company don't themselves seem to know if they will be doing or able to do Halo 2 Vista servers!?

Anyone really know how this will work?

Ridesy

Wolfchild
April 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
To pick this thread up and run with it: I'd like to see

True remote admin capability via telnet or - better still - scp.
Logging of chat text
Logging of rcon commands
Auto-kicking of AFKsAnd I'd also like a pony. :-)

woof

§þ·Aßynorml
April 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Logging of chat text
Logging of rcon commands

woof

LOL woof.

Xehsin, no disrespect intended, the FAQs are useless in this conversation. I'm looking for the location of detailed information. Until I get that, I'm unable to plan for H2V within SPKlan. If peolple like myself and ridesy are unable to be 'up and going' quickly then all of us will be stuck on un-moderated Bungie servers (I assume). These servers may not be able to handle the number of players attempting to multi-play. Finally, I play Halo using Heavy Weapons, I want a server to have that gametype operating and I'm willing to pay for it.

As ridesy said, Vista may be the problem. Server rental companies may be having difficulty with the game. This lack of information isn't a good sign. H2V may be in for a bumpy start.

bleach
April 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
ya, i heard from some ppl that it will work almost the same as Halo PC. I'm creative at making gametypes :woot: , but i don't think you can save your custom gametypes.

Cortexian
April 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Logging of chat text
Logging of rcon commands

woof

1. I would like to see this also, or any type of web administration panel.

2. This can already be done for Halo PC/CE dedicated servers with these commands (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=325).

3. See above.

4. Not that big a deal, you can do it yourself with rcon.

I just hope that there are more dedicated server options and rcon type commands. Like things included in Rec0's server application (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the [HIV] Halo CE server when there are [HIV]er's in it, they will probably show you).

§þ·Aßynorml
April 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
http://media.gear.ign.com/articles/781/781719/img_4479819.html

The Dedicated Server ships with the game. No further information has been found yet.

Cortexian
April 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Well that's obvious, it ships with most games...