PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Slim announced, along with a PS3 80GB price drop.

Jean-Luc
August 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM
http://kotaku.com/5339968/sony-announces-slim-ps3-+-it-lives-this-september
http://kotaku.com/5340053/surprise-playstation-3-price-drops-100

While it seems odd that they're dropping the price of the PS3 80GB to $300 while the PS3 Slim 120GB will also sell for $300, I'm starting to feel that the PS3 might actually be worth the price now :iamafag:

jcap
August 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Meanwhile, Microsoft has a 54% failure rate of their Xbox 360 at the same price.

sdavis117
August 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Meanwhile, Microsoft has a 54% failure rate of their Xbox 360 at the same price.

Yet they are still winning. Strange, huh?

Jean-Luc
August 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Can we at least try and not make this into another console fanboy war?

kid908
August 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yet they are still winning. Strange, huh?

Maybe it's because the 360 have more games?

The slim looks really good, but I fear it'll become a "rocking horse"

Needles
August 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Yet mine has still not failed after the whole time I've had it =P

If the PS3 WAS cheaper a year ago, I would have it instead of an xbox because I wanted one :smith:

sdavis117
August 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I'm gonna wait a few weeks after the PS3 Slim comes out to make sure it doesn't have any major technical issues, but I do plan on getting a PS3 Slim.

kid908
August 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yet mine has still not failed after the whole time I've had it =P

If the PS3 WAS cheaper a year ago, I would have it instead of an xbox because I wanted one :smith:

Mine failed after 2 1/2 years. I got mine during launch season. Mine here right now is a free replacement.

IDC if it has a 54% failure rate as long as the replacement is free.:realsmug:

343guiltymc
August 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Meh, don't really see how making it slimmer makes it less phail.

Bhamid
August 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Didn't slimmer make it hotter?

BobtheGreatII
August 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Still not going to buy one. : /

Warsaw
August 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I might buy one, if only because I want to play Killzone 2 really badly. :downs:

Rosco
August 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Getting one at some point. in b4 pc superiority /smug

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I got my ps3 just for killzone, and it was TOTALLY worth it...

Donut
August 18th, 2009, 06:22 PM
microsoft needs to get their fucking act together. i have a 360, i love my 360, but as jcap said, 54% failure rating is like.... how does a company even make profits off of that? and the reasons they fail too.... how the fuck does this get past testing? and why is it so hard to fix this shit

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 18th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I know, seriously, I can fix it in 45 min, and it works for pretty much forever

BobtheGreatII
August 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I know, seriously, I can fix it in 45 min, and it works for pretty much forever

:raise:

Darqeness
August 18th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I've always wanted to pick one up for LBP, Killzone 2 and MGS4. I might just do so in a few months now...

Varmint260
August 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I've always wanted to pick one up for LBP, Killzone 2 and MGS4. I might just do so in a few months now...

Sounds like some good choices to me; the only of those three I have spent any extensive time playing is LBP, but the thrills, OMG-moments and the plain shits'n'giggles I've had with it are great. The demo I played of Killzone 2 was pretty decent, too.

As for my old "FAT" 40GB PS3... well shit, I guess it's old now. Though I hope the slim doesn't have any major bugs, I'm quite happy with my current hardware (though I'd better swap in a bigger HDD before I feel too outdated).

Maybe it's because the 360 have more games?

More games as in sheer numbers, yes. Better games? Debatable. I probably would've bought a 360 since most of my friends had one and I figure the library of game is pretty good. On the other hand, all of them except one (his is only two months old at this point) have had a failure. And now that I've had a PS3 for over a year, I cannot say I have any complaints with the library of games.

Warsaw
August 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM
My main gripe with the PS3 is the controller; I hate having the analog sticks right next to each other because it feels too cramped. I know there's a controller out there that lets you swap the D-Pad and thumbsticks and works for PC and PS3, but it isn't exactly the greatest gamepad either.

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 18th, 2009, 11:44 PM
There is a mod to put a ps3 controller in the xbox360 controller shell.

Warsaw
August 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM
To me, the point of a console is to sit down and play. If I have to put work into the machine to make it play like I want it to, then I'll go back to my PC and play something on that.

Xetsuei
August 19th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Didn't slimmer make it hotter?

Probably, my PS2 Slim always gets pretty hot even if you put it in really well ventilated areas.

Regardless, I will probably buy one of these. And I probably will buy some 360 controllers or just the shells and put the PS3 controller internals in them. PS3 controller ftl.

Darqeness
August 19th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Probably, my PS2 Slim always gets pretty hot even if you put it in really well ventilated areas.

Regardless, I will probably buy one of these. And I probably will buy some 360 controllers or just the shells and put the PS3 controller internals in them. PS3 controller ftl.

Huh, I keep my PS2 slim inside a cabinet and it doesn't get too hot.

Bhamid
August 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Apparently the new ones won't be able to run linux like the old ones did :(

Masterz1337
August 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
What kind of games do I play on PS3? and can I play with my friends who all have 360?

Varmint260
August 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
As for the Dualshock series, it's all about what you're used to. I used to think that the XBox and Xbox 360 gamepads were horrific in design, but I get used to them. Not owning one is the reason why I have to continually get used to it every time I go to play 360 with a friend. I always seemed to accidentally press the wrong button and dive out of my banshee at a really awkward time.

I can see how some might think the Dualshock is cramped; every aftermarket controller I use on my PC that's a dual-analog is fuckin' huge in comparison, and then I wonder about this little tiny Sony controller. And I don't exactly have small hands, either.

Limited
August 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Oh yay, I have to pay £249.99 ($413) for the $300 console! Oh and yay I have to pay £49.99 ($82) for the games!

Fix your UK prices Sony.

Xetsuei
August 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Huh, I keep my PS2 slim inside a cabinet and it doesn't get too hot.

That's because you never bother to actually see how hot it gets. :downs:

Darqeness
August 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM
That's because you never bother to actually see how hot it gets. :downs:

No, I have actually checked after hearing how hot they get. After playing for a couple of hours straight I checked and it wasn't too hot. No hotter than the 360 can get.

Atty
August 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Yet they are still winning. Strange, huh?Halo, Gears of War, etc. Xbox live, as well.

Can we at least try and not make this into another console fanboy war?It became one the moment this thread was posted. :downs:

I want to compare this to the capabilities of a standard Blu-Ray player of the same price, if it shows it is worth the cost I'd purchase it. This is presuming all the rumors are false that Microsoft are releasing a Blu-Ray device to complement the 360.

flibitijibibo
August 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Well, it seems they've finally been able to get it down to an acceptable price, and with improvements as well. It's a shame that the only extraordinary game on it that's not a sequel is Little Big Planet.

Has anyone else realized how hard it is to go between consoles nowadays? I mean, if you haven't played the previous games on the previous platforms, it's really hard to get into the club. I mean, look at MGS4. It looks like a great game, but it's probably even more confusing than MGS fans say it is because you don't have any of the background. Theoretically, you could go back and play the previous games, but that means buying all of those too, and it ruins the purpose of the lowered price anyway. Of course, there are games like Killzone 2 and Halo 3 that have stories that almost nobody has played, and thus, don't matter, but those types of games are either not good in the first place, or are one per console.

This case of the sequels is making it that much harder for fanboys to be conscientious like they should and for everyone else to expand their horizons without going bankrupt.

Donut
August 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
makes you wonder if game companies even think of stuff like that^. on one hand it seems like theyre just trying to keep up with the systems, and on the other theres probably countless pieces of evidence to show how gaming companies plan to take over the world.

bungie broke from microsoft for what reason? possibly the entirely feasible and legitimate one they made public, or a deep conspiracy that caused bungie to be exiled from the underground video game empire. one of their main goals is to take over the world and shoot enemies into the sun with a giant slingshot. perhaps they are being punished for giving out the empire's plans, or better yet, perhaps its a warning to us consumers.

much like the tootie pop, the world will never know.
E:forgot to add -> :tinfoil:

mech
August 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Killzone 2 is the only game you need on PS3, it's the best FPS multiplayer I've ever played and their clan system is remarkable. Ps3 internet browser is always a plus, quick stream of online video, and blu ray. Hop on ps3 home if you feel like trollin some fools pool or bowling, it's all good. PS3 is a remarkable system in my honest opinion.

TeeKup
August 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I was debating on getting a PS3 so I could get BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger.....but then they ported it to the 360....so no. The only thing that could tempt me for a PS3 right now is a Killzone 2.

Mr Buckshot
August 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have an old 80 GB PS3 (upgraded to 250 by myself), the one that had the software-based emulation to run PS2 games. It's been quieter and far more reliable than my first 360 (it RROD'ed recently, I then bought an Arcade (Jasper mobo) and transferred the HDD). The PSN isn't as developed as XBL, but it lets me frag for free and that's what matters the most, hence I game on the PSN fairly often but I don't even subscribe to XBL. I do play my 360 often, just not multiplayer.

PS3 slim looks good. I'll definitely get one if my current fat PS3 dies on me, though it doesn't show any signs of that happening anytime soon. I wish they'd added an IR port though, and increased the number of USB ports. The lack of an HDMI cable isn't an issue as those are quite cheap if you look in the right place.

MGS4, Killzone 2, and both Resistance games are my favorite PS3 titles. I also own some multi-platform titles that have 360 equivalents (GRAW2 and GTA4 and splinter cell double agent), I only got the PS3 version to avoid XBL.

Having owned both the 360 and the PS3, I'd say, both are great systems, they both have their share of excellent games and are both technical powerhouses. I don't think one is really better than the other. Your choice should depend only on which exclusive titles you're more interested in playing.

kid908
August 20th, 2009, 11:48 PM
PS3 has proven itself to be the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market. If not getting the PS3 for gaming, It would be nice to have Blu-ray if you don't already.

also about the RROD, it's an easy fix. prob 20 min total if you know your way around the 360. It's really just an overheat and ventilation problem.

PS3 is a fine system for gaming if you're willing to spend the extra $$ for quality of the system setup.

mech
August 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
Oh yeah, Forgot about MGS4. That game is awesome, gyrating in peoples faces online and what not.

sdavis117
August 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
PS3 has proven itself to be the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market. If not getting the PS3 for gaming, It would be nice to have Blu-ray if you don't already.

I got my Magnavox Blu-Ray player for $150. The PS3 is in no way the cheapest option for a Blu-Ray player anymore.

Futzy
August 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
That figure was taken from a sample group of 1000 people.

I have only had one xbox fail on me, and that was from me messing around with it (opening it up and painting it.)