PDA

View Full Version : Games run smoothly at first, then slow.

BobtheGreatII
August 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know what this is? I've been playing Prototype, and it runs really smooth on my PC for about 15 minutes, and then things start to really slow down. Is my graphics card getting too hot? My processor stays at about 34 Celsius... so I don't think that's the problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? It's rather annoying. And it's not just Prototype, other games do it too.

Syuusuke
August 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Check the temps anyway.

Run a stress test

343guiltymc
August 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Use EVGA precision to see your GPU temperature ingame. Also, if you are playing Prototype on that system listed in your system specs page then no wonder you are getting choppy performance.

BobtheGreatII
August 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Use EVGA precision to see your GPU temperature ingame. Also, if you are playing Prototype on that system listed in your system specs page then no wonder you are getting choppy performance.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Game runs fine. Then slows. Not choppy all the time.

Roostervier
August 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
yeah but if for the first fifteen minutes you jump around on top of buildings and then start to kill tons of people, the physics and models might be doing it. probably isnt the case, but try playing on lower settings, or something.

BobtheGreatII
August 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
yeah but if for the first fifteen minutes you jump around on top of buildings and then start to kill tons of people, the physics and models might be doing it. probably isnt the case, but try playing on lower settings, or something.

Nah, runs fine during that stuff too. I timed it, it was about a half an hour before things started acting up. GPU never reached over 56 Celsius. Would usually be at 51 though. Not sure what's going on. And it can't be a temp thing, because I can exit out, and then jump back in to the game and it works fine again. IDGI!

NullZero
August 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Can you post your RAM usage from Task Manager when the game starts to close down?

Warsaw
August 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Try closing Steam (if you're running it). I get a similar issue, and it always resolves itself when I close Steam.

Ganon
August 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I have a feeling this has to do with RAM

BobtheGreatII
August 18th, 2009, 11:51 PM
So am I... After playing for a while, it was over 53%... something like 1.2 gigs. After letting my computer do routine things, it sat at 647 megabytes. Ugh... I don't wanna get more ram, but I might have to. Seems like the only logical thing for all of this.

Cagerrin
August 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
So am I... After playing for a while, it was over 53%... something like 1.2 gigs. After letting my computer do routine things, it sat at 647 megabytes. Ugh... I don't wanna get more ram, but I might have to. Seems like the only logical thing for all of this.
647 idling? How many/what processes do you run normally?

Warsaw
August 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
For newer games, definitely. 4GB is a must, especially for something like Prototype, with huge cityscapes.

BobtheGreatII
August 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Here's some pics. Only had Zune running and Firefox.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7619/bleh2.png
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1161/blehp.jpg

And 4 Gigs huh? I think I could afford that.

Cagerrin
August 19th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Wierd, does Vista run that that few processes normally, or are a bunch of them hidden?

Can't see much of a problem there, although jusched and GrooveMonitor probably don't need to be running.

Warsaw
August 19th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Jusched is always running...you turn it off and it just pops up again anyways.

Syuusuke
August 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hey, play some oldie game (not super old), like Halo, just to see if it still happens.

Varmint260
August 19th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Yeah, my last system had a 9500GT and a dual-core 2.9GHz, and it ran so much better when I bought 4Gb of RAM for it. 2GB is good for everyday tasks and gaming with older games, but for anything less than a few years old, I've found 4GB is basically a minimum to keep up with the rest of your specs.

NullZero
August 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yup, possibility is the RAM.

When I just had 2 GB of RAM, and tried playing Far Cry 2, it would run smoothly for a little while, then really slow down, as it had to load the level from the hard drive.

I got 6GB now and it runs smoothly :O

Flood55
August 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
How old is your graphics card? And is your room properly ventilated?

Syuusuke
August 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
A 9500GT isn't too old, but I don't know how well it does compared to others.

Flood55
August 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I mean when did u buy it?
I think it is the same problem I had?

BobtheGreatII
August 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Wierd, does Vista run that that few processes normally, or are a bunch of them hidden?

Windows 7 Bro :iamafag:

And I'll look in to hijacking some ram from a friend and see if it helps anything. If it does I'll buy some for myself. Thanks.

Varmint260
August 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
A 9500GT isn't too old, but I don't know how well it does compared to others.

Being that it's a rehashed 8600GT, it's not too bad for the price point (esp the 1GB model) considering the performance you get. It'll run Crysis on medium settings at 720 resolution playably; at least, it did on my old setup.