PDA

View Full Version : Old news is still cool.

TeeKup
August 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I know this is old, and I don't know how I of all people missed this back in june.
http://www.zath.co.uk/30th-anniversary-giant-gundam-statue-in-japan/

Any Gundam followers out there will be rather pleased to know that there has been a commission in Japan for a gigantic 59ft Gundam statue to be erected in Tokyo. The idea was brought forward to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the mecha anime craze, of which an exhibition to celebrate it is soon to begin.

Gundam started as a series of small episodes of anime which featured giant robots (mecha), started by Sunrise Studios. Initial series were called Mobile Suit Gundam, which began in 1979, and grew so fast it later became a huge franchise with several sequels and prequels – with alternating timelines and stories – all of which have been shown in various media such as manga, fiction novels, video games and TV anime. Gundam is just an umbrella term for the entire concept and, quite frankly, this statue will do much more than simply dwarf everyone under it. It’s an appreciation, by many, of an art that has done so well to combine great story, anime, sci-fi and oddball characters that you care about.

Initial photos and plans drawn up for the design look absolutely spectacular. I can’t imagine what it would be like to be standing next to the giant piece of art itself, but I am sure I’d be grinning from ear to ear. Check out the video and photos below for a look at the coolest monument to be built in years! Well, I think so anyway.

I heard many people say there should be a Zaku too. I feel it only necessary, since the zaku has been the "arch nemesis" of the gundam since it's creation. Not many people tend to enjoy gundam, I blame the recent incarnations with bad stories designed around the "god gundams." Gundam's prime was well before Gundam Wing - Gundam 00, and I still consider the 08th MS Team to be one of its best. Still nothing will beat the original, Mobile Suit Gundam.

Terry
August 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
How did you miss this, we had a thread

EDIT: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16505&highlight=gundam+statue

It was for you! ALL FOR YOU!

TeeKup
August 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I can't believe how stupid I was for missing it. :gonk:

But it got closed because people are dumb. >->

sdavis117
August 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Now all they need to do is make the thing work...

Ganon
August 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
japan is going to take over the world with gundams

personally I wouldn't mind, if they let me watch :3

Limited
August 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not a fan of gundam, but it does remind me of the days of power rangers, when they used to morph together and make those big ass robots. Good times.

Impressive stuff, looks badass.