PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

n00b1n8R
August 19th, 2009, 04:16 AM
How does the "active members" (at the end of the statistics at the bottom of the mainpage) work?

And howcome most (if not all) the infractions I've looked at (mine and a few other people's) are non-decay these days (for pretty minor infractions)? Was there some "no more bullshit" ruling I missed?

Been wondering about both of these for a while.

SnaFuBAR
August 19th, 2009, 04:35 AM
all points are non-decay because the ban point limit was raised to 15, detention at 10, rather than 5 point detention and 10 point ban. 15 points is a permaban now, as well.

n00b1n8R
August 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Ah, that makes sense. Was it ever posted anywherer btw? I thought I must have missed something :P

sdavis117
August 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14545

FRain
August 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Do your points reset after you are released from detention like they used to?

SnaFuBAR
August 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Do your points reset after you are released from detention like they used to?

No, that would be counterproductive. The point is that if you're detained, you really need to make changes in your behavior on the forums, and if it continues for another five points, you get banned. Basically, it's up to you to reform after you mess up.

v:-3v

Sel
August 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Was it ever posted anywherer btw? I thought I must have missed something :P

No it doesnt, its the fucking dumbest infraction system ever made.

here is proof of how broken it is

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/selentic/itbork.png

Limited
August 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Active Members is done by whether they are posting, I believe. I think its like, if they've posted within the last month.

You have infractions? pfft, even I dont have an infraction :D

Mr Buckshot
August 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
On the subject of infractions, why was the "noob posting fashion" infraction removed? I liked that one.

Needles
August 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
No, that would be counterproductive. The point is that if you're detained, you really need to make changes in your behavior on the forums, and if it continues for another five points, you get banned. Basically, it's up to you to reform after you mess up.

v:-3v
Even if they take around 1 or 2 years to go up to 5 points? :saddowns:

p0lar_bear
August 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
On the subject of infractions, why was the "noob posting fashion" infraction removed? I liked that one.

It's now split between "Irritating Post" and "Shitposting."

supersniper
August 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Active Members is done by whether they are posting, I believe. I think its like, if they've posted within the last month.

You have infractions? pfft, even I dont have an infraction :Ddamn really!
I've had like 5 my whole time here,
and they were all for starting fights :/
like with masterz and Wave of Lag in the past :D.

Hotrod
August 27th, 2009, 06:10 PM
What's so rare about never getting an infraction? Hasn't been too too hard... I really do like this new system though, keeps the good users in, and the bad ones out (at least, the ones the mods consider bad). This way, the forums will be in a nicer place to be, with less red, at least so we hope :)

TheGhost
August 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
You are active if you have logged in within the last 30 days.

English Mobster
August 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM
One thing I don't like about it is that people who post a lot are BOUND to hit 15 points eventually due to the fact that eventually, their infractions will add up, even if they aren't a bad poster.

For instance, I've gotten up to 10 points, because I made 2 "unconstructive posts" worth 2 points each, got slammed with backseat moderation (1 point), and I THINK I got a "Piracy Discussion" infraction (5 points) back in my first few days here, when I mentioned something or other about torrents, I honestly don't remember what.
Am I a bad poster? No, I don't think so. Others might, but I really don't think I'm that bad of a poster. It's mostly the non-decaying "unconstructive posts" which are killing me.
It'd be nice if at least the "unconstructive post" infraction were to decay, since a lot of the regular members are going to make an unconstructive post now and then, and eventually, those posts which could be considered "unconstructive" are going to add up and our regular member is going to get banned.

I'm not whining about the system or anything, I'm just pointing out something which should be taken into account: Statistically, if everyone keeps posting at the same rate they are now, they are going to make a few posts which can be considered "bad" or "unconstructive". Are they a bad member? No. They try to help when they can, it's just that their posting slips up every now and then. That's the whole reason why the decay system is in effect in the first place.

Inferno
August 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I have like 20 infractions and only 5 points. What is up with that?

edit-

Hey wait I have 5 points.... Shouldn't I be in detention? :raise:

I call hax.

English Mobster
August 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Detention is 10 points now. It used to be 5.

SnaFuBAR
August 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Am I a bad poster? No, I don't think so.

the fact of the matter is that sometimes you just are. you will blatantly break rules or bring up/cause unnecessary drama. for those reasons, you get infractions. you're supposed to learn from that :smith:

this is the routine a lot of members have, as well.

English Mobster
August 31st, 2009, 12:45 AM
I've tried to stay away from getting infractions since I was detained; I've had mild success (the infraction I got was reversed), but fact of the matter is, it's only a matter of time before I get slammed with an infraction again.
I have 1,000+ posts now. A few of those are bad posts, statistically.
If I get 1,000 more, no matter how hard I try, the mods may view some of those posts as bad posts, and I get infracted for them. It's just the sheer number of the posts, they aren't ALL going to be good.
Since infractions don't expire, chances are, I'm going to be banned for a few bad posts here and there, no matter how beneficial I am to the community. This is true for a lot of members here.

p0lar_bear
August 31st, 2009, 05:28 AM
Let's just say that if you keep shitposting to a minimum and actively contribute GOOD content (besides posts) to the site, infractions shouldn't be an issue.

Heathen
August 31st, 2009, 07:06 AM
Let's just say that if you keep shitposting to a minimum and actively contribute GOOD content (besides posts) to the site, infractions shouldn't be an issue.

like me.

Ah, who am I kidding.

n00b1n8R
September 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Oh jesus now I'm going to have to start making content :gonk:

n00b1n8R
October 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
*bump* Kinda curious who's on this "active members" list, anywhere I can see?

Dwood
October 6th, 2009, 02:12 PM
*bump* Kinda curious who's on this "active members" list, anywhere I can see?

Ghost, Second page.

n00b1n8R
October 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
He said what qualifies you to be active, but not a link or anything to a list of those considerd active.

I'm just curious who's lurking vOv

TheGhost
October 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure where a normal user would see such information, but I know that in the Members List search, you can search by last post date (but not last activity).

http://www.modacity.net/forums/memberlist.php?do=search

Also, I see that I didn't mention this, but that 30 days is configurable in the Admin CP. 30 days is the default, and you can also turn it off. There may be more features in vB 3.8.x, as it was fairly new in 3.7.x.