PDA

View Full Version : 800m Gold Medalist Caster Semenya Gender Controversy

STLRamsFan
August 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Alright I know most of you guys aren't into track, but I guess I wasn't the only one thinking Caster Semenya (who won the 800 meter/half mile race) looked like a man..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/aug/19/caster-semenya-800m-world-athletics-championships-gender

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/374/ph2009081901814.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/ph2009081901814.jpg/)

That's a female? :gonk:

Caster Semenya's gold medal in tonight's 800m should have been the proudest moment of the South African teenager's life. But for the athlete whose gender (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gender) has been scrutinised the world over in the last 24 hours, it came as no surprise that she was advised to shun the media after her title-winning race.

As the cameras settled on the athlete who has lived her whole life as a female, onlookers pored over their TV screens, studying the woman now rumoured to be a man. Controversy has dogged the 18- year-old since she posted a world leading personal best time of 1 minute 56.72 seconds – an eight second improvement on her time last year – to win gold at the African Junior Championships in Mauritius last month. That's just 0.51 seconds slower than Kelly Holmes' career best.

Standing in lane four alongside Britain's diminutive Jenny Meadows – whose bronze medal was inevitably overshadowed by the hysteria tonight – Semenya's notably developed frame was further exaggerated. As the athletes took off, Semenya lead from the start, determined to ignore the media speculation and focus on her race. The gold medal winner never looked threatened and finished well ahead of the pack with a new personal best of 1:55.45.

The International Association of Athletics (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/athletics) Federations (IAAF) yesterday revealed that Semenya has been the subject of a gender verification process both in her native South Africa, and since she arrived in Berlin. The official investigation could take weeks to draw conclusions with an endocrinologist, a gynaecologist and a psychologist all involved.
Director of Communications, Nick Davies, was unable to say whether any retrospective action could be taken should Semenya be revealed to have issues surrounding her gender. "I can't say that if X happens in the future that we will, for example, retroactively strip results. It's legally very complex.

"It's a medical issue. It's not an issue of cheating. We're more concerned for the person not to make this something which is humiliating for her and something which is going to affect her in a negative way. This is why you will appreciate we have to be discreet. She is a human being who was born as a woman and who has grown up all her life as a woman but who is now in a position where this is being questioned."

Davies' words suggest that the IAAF are dealing with a sensitive case. Such situations are not altogether unusual in sport. Earlier this year, tennis player Sarah Gronert – a 22 year-old German competing on the WTA tour – had her gender questioned when it was revealed that she was born with both male and female genitalia. Gronert had surgery aged 19 and is now legally considered a woman. At the 1936 Olympics, in the same Berlin stadium, Stella Walsh won silver in the 100 yard dash. After her death, an autopsy revealed she possessed male genitalia as well as female characteristics.

Semenya's coach, Michael Seme, says he is well used to the commotion. He recalls stopping to use the facilities at a petrol station in Cape Town recently and as Semenya tried to enter the women's toilets, she was stopped by the petrol attendants. "Caster just laughed and asked if they would like her to take off her pants to show them she was a woman," he said.

Smiling through the media storm, Meadows celebrated her medal – the first of the 27 year-old's career – and new status as the third fastest British woman in history after posting a personal best time of 1:57.93. She was clearly delighted, politely steering clear of controversy, describing her victor as a "great athlete". Meadows, who looked out of the medals with 40m to go, pushed hard to earn her title and admitted she had been "disappointed" to learn that she had not made silver . She finished just 0.03 of a second behind Janeth Jepkosgei Busienei of Kenya.

"It's an absolute dream come true," said Meadows. "All the young athletes out there should know that I never made it to a junior final, I was always stuck in the relay. People never thought I would make it but here I am in my first major championships final and I'm number three in the world. It proves you should never say never, you should always believe in yourself. If you work hard and keep the faith, good things will happen."

paladin
August 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1455/ohsnap.png

Cortexian
August 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
It's a manbearpig!

ThePlague
August 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
That's a man baby!

Sel
August 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Oh, what are they going to do now?

Make a racing section for trannies.

SnaFuBAR
August 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM
reminds me of the really really big chick in high school that had nappy chest hair.

Ifafudafi
August 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
So is it a guy with a mangina or a woman with assloads of muscle and no tits?

YOU DECIDE

TVTyrant
August 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM
If its a tranny, fuck them their cheating :maddowns:. If its a real woman, I feel really fucking bad for her :saddowns:.

Phopojijo
August 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Her last name is "Semenya"...

:mysterysolved: ??

kid908
August 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
^
|
See men yeah?

Lmao

Olympians are odd groups of people

Phopojijo
August 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM
^
|
See men yeah?

Lmao

Olympians are odd groups of people... no...

"Semen Ya"

:ssh:

itszutak
August 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
That's a lot of testosterone.

TeeKup
August 20th, 2009, 12:54 AM
That's just.....odd....

ICEE
August 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Lets look at the facts shall we gentlemen?
She has a very masculine frame and face, no distinguishable mammaries, no recognizably feminine hips (or "dat ass" that you may have looked for upon finding out she was a female), and she dominated the more evidently female females in athletic events. Now, this leaves only three plausible possibilities:

A) shes a man
B) shes ugly
C) Woman are more rapidly becoming more manish and therefore need no male counterpart to reproduce, phasing out the male gender in its entirety. I suggest we take this VAST possibility into the highest consideration, my fellow distinguished sirs. We cannot allow such a world changing event to destroy the existence of the gender that I belong to.

STLRamsFan
August 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Her last name is "Semenya"...

:mysterysolved: ??

^
|
See men yeah?

... no...

"Semen Ya"

:ssh:

Hahaha, I was laughing so hard when I read that last night. Guess that settles it then. :v:

Limited
August 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Its either a manly women, or a feminine man. Either way its scary.

I'm betting its a just a very masculine female. They coach and team have said they have followed rules and wouldnt change a thing.

Alwin Roth
August 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
odd, just yesterday I learned that Lady Gaga is a Tranny...

goddamn I'm slow with life.

Limited
August 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM
odd, just yesterday I learned that Lady Gaga is a Tranny...

goddamn I'm slow with life.
Wait, thats confirmed? I thought it was just a rumor.

p0lar_bear
August 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I also might point out that in the rush for political correctness, the definition of "gender" seems to have been lost.

By gender, I would say male.

But, as it's been said, her sex is female.

m13120
August 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hard to believe she's only 18!

kid908
August 20th, 2009, 10:57 PM
god damn it. that chick is fucking with my mind. First you tell me he is a she. Now you tell me that the he that is a she is actual 18... T.T

@ICEE:
you forgot D

D.) It's an alien that doesn't know we have gender differences and we all look alike just like how we see all animals look alike or asian (Caucasian for me. Yeah, most of you guys look alike to me).

Phopojijo
August 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Did a survey for Queen's University Health and Wellness... the question "What is your gender" had ~8 different possible responses.

Male
Female
Intergendered
Transgendered
Unknown
(etc etc)

Sel
August 22nd, 2009, 01:00 AM
what is intergendered

do you have like tits growing out of your pubes then

Phopojijo
August 22nd, 2009, 01:08 AM
No it means that you are born with characteristics of both males and females... but not necessarily hermaphroditic.

p0lar_bear
August 22nd, 2009, 03:58 AM
what is intergendered

do you have like tits growing out of your pubes then

Again, gender != sex.

Sex is defined by your reproductive organs, which leaves male, female, or hermaphrodite. Gender is a characteristic, and is applied to more than just animals (e.g. Romance languages [meaning French, Spanish, Italian, etc] have genders for words).

Limited
August 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Again, gender != sex.

Sex is defined by your reproductive organs, which leaves male, female, or hermaphrodite. Gender is a characteristic, and is applied to more than just animals (e.g. Romance languages [meaning French, Spanish, Italian, etc] have genders for words).
Gender has different meanings, it can be biological (sex) or social.

Dwood
August 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
So therefore many Homosexual persons are 'female' ?

TVTyrant
August 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Gender has different meanings, it can be biological (sex) or social.
We're talking biological exclusively.