PDA

View Full Version : Looking for webhost

Corndogman
August 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Well, I'm looking to change hosts for my website. I'm currently using SiteGround (The account was given to me by its former owner so I could actually do something with it). However, the subscription is up the first of September, and its gonna be a hundred dollars for another year.

So what site's do you guys recommend that would be cheaper and just as good if not better than SiteGround's hosting?

I'd like to be able to transfer my Domain and all my pages to the new host very easily if possible. Just so we're clear, I don't know anything about HTML and such, I did my site with a simple site builder.

paladin
August 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
TheGhost pointed me towards dream host. Ive been using it for about a month now and its been good.

legionaire45
August 21st, 2009, 03:36 AM
How much traffic do you get?

I used the cheapest hosting plan that GoDaddy had for backing up my homework and files and it worked perfectly for remote file hosting and the odd website for a school project. They're pretty affordable, although my main "site" (shitty test page I never finished) got almost no traffic besides what I gave it. I'm pretty sure it supports MySQL and a couple other fancy internet type things as well, although that's pretty much standard now.

1and1 has a lot of presence in tech magazines and stuff but I've never really looked at their hosting stuff.

Also, you could figure out how to set up your own server and host it at home. Again, depends on how much bandwidth you need for your site.

thehoodedsmack
August 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
I've found 1&1 easy to use, and quite affordable. They really try to squeeze you, though. Always asking if you want this add-on, or this upgrade, but if you ignore all that and stick to your basics, it's really good.

MetKiller Joe
August 21st, 2009, 08:24 AM
hostgator.com

I've got unlimited bandwidth and storage, and, at the current moment, it holds 3.5 GB of data and allows me to do massive backups and copying whenever.

I've got a domain name (with I think unlimited subdomains), space, unlimited ftp accounts, e-mail, and a bunch of other cool stuff for 80 bucks a year.

Rob Oplawar
August 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
My vote is for Hostmonster.
I've used Doteasy and 1and1 in the past, and really didn't care for either of them. Doteasy overcharges you, and 1and1 has really terrible site administration tools.
In my experience GoDaddy is just awful. They have bad tools and bad service and a bad site. You get what you pay for, I guess.

So, it depends on what you're going to be using the site for. If you're serious about running and managing your site, taking care of PHP and SQL databases, making sure everything's running smoothly and to your liking, I recommend going for the slightly more expensive (but still relatively cheap) Hostmonster. If all you want to do is slap up some HTML pages and leave them be, you'll probably be best going for one of those cheap-ass sites.

Take into consideration the amount of traffic you expect to receive- some places will take your site offline or charge you ridiculous fees if you exceed your quota.

StankBacon
August 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
another vote for hostgator here.

they kick ass.

TheGhost
August 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
If you go with Dreamhost (who I do recommend, especially for most regular sites), make sure to use code MODACITY at checkout. It will give you a $30 discount on your hosting, and it will also give us credit on our hosting bill. Anyone who signs up for an account using this code will get donor status for life.

=sw=warlord
August 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
i would reccomend servage.net (http://servage.net/)
Their the ones who i used when i took over DECOY's site for 6 months and their also the ones DECOY used himself before hand.

Corndogman
August 22nd, 2009, 01:03 AM
Well, I really don't get much traffic at all tbh, and we get 750gb storage and unlimited bandwith (iirc) so yeah, we definitely paid for more than we need. but as I said, the account was handed down to me.

The website is www.oogletravel.com (http://www.oogletravel.com) if you would like to get an idea of what kinda stuff I use. As you can see, we mostly have news updates, and stream media. You can PM about the actual subject of the site if you have questions.

I'll check out the site's you guys mentioned, and Ghost I'm seriously considering that, life donor status sound awesome.

E: Yeah, I currently have lots of options with MySQL and PhP, but I really don't know how to use that crap. Most of the stuff on the website now I achieved with a sitebuilder and lots of trial and error with the file systems.

Corndogman
August 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
What do you guys think of JustHost.com? It is cheaper than dreamhost or the others, but is it as good?

Also, say I wanted to get a new domain name, but transfer my website exactly the way it is to the new domain, how easy would this be?

Roostervier
August 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
hostgator is the best

TheGhost
August 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Also, say I wanted to get a new domain name, but transfer my website exactly the way it is to the new domain, how easy would this be?

Copy paste, assuming no databases or dynamic content.

Corndogman
August 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
hostgator is the best

Justhost seems to have more features for cheaper. I think that's what I'm going to go with.

Roostervier
August 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
what about reliability, support, and customer satisfaction? the choice is yours, but you should think about those things.

Reaper Man
August 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
www.hostmonster.com (http://www.hostmonster.com)

After switching to them from GoDaddy, I'm never going back, they're great. Best customer support I've experienced (they're 24/7, non-outsourced), very reliable and good deals.

Unlimited hosting space, bandwidth and domains. 99.9% Network Uptime Guarantee.

TheGhost
August 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
From what I've heard, HostMonster seems to be pretty good. But with any host, take "unlimited" anything and uptime guarantee with a grain of salt.

Rob Oplawar
August 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
The only time I experienced significant downtime with hostmonster was when I ran some seriously bad code that caused my machine to crash and stay dead for several hours was a bystander during an unfortunate server event.

Corndogman
August 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Hmm, well I don't really use much bandwith or storage space, so even if its not truly unlimited, its fine. I'm switching over to Justhost.com tonight, and will spend the next days working out the kinks.

Also, would it be possible to set up say, a halo CE dedi server on it?