PDA

View Full Version : Got a Dell XPS M1530? Halp! :gonk:

flibitijibibo
August 20th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I'm 99% sure that my lappy's cooling is fucked. I can't feel the air flow at the fan (both the bottom and the back of the lappy), and my CPU/GPU idles at 60/80C. If it makes a big enough difference, it's a Core 2 Duo T9300 and an 8600M GT.

Either way, I've got a dispatch set up. I just want to make sure that I can look at the replacement's temperatures and be cool with whatever shows up.

If it matters to anyone, Podacity may be hanging on this, depending on how my CPU handles SONAR for the 2-3 hours we record. So... halp quickly? Yeah, that works.

Futzy
August 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
That's what you get for buying a Dell.

Cortexian
August 21st, 2009, 02:32 AM
That's what you get for buying a Dell.
XPS series is generally good, L2Reviews.

Can't you remove some of the panels on the bottom of your lappy while it's turned on and check the fans?

legionaire45
August 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM
Dell's more expensive stuff is fine in terms of quality. Only the Inspiron and some of the lower end Studio models suck in terms of quality - anything mobile under $600 will.

CPU temp doesn't look too off, unless it's also clocking itself down.

GPU temps can also get that high, although if you start playing something graphically intensive and the fans don't kick on after an hour or so, I would take a look at it.

How recent is this laptop? It might be clogged up with dust or something. Unlikely if it's new, but I know that that series has been around for a while.

See if you can use something like NTune or whatever it is (nVidia's tool for tweaking with fans and stuff) and see if you can force the fan to 100% or if it even shows up at all. Again, kind of unlikely, but maybe the fan has failed.

Check to see if any of that voids your warranty before doing it, of course.

flibitijibibo
August 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM
My guess is that the fan has failed. The board is actually just a few months old, so I doubt that dust is an issue since we cleaned whatever we needed to at the time.

Until my dispatch arrives, I can't check the insides myself without voiding the warranty, and, being an integrated GPU, I can't tweak the (probably broken anyway) fan like I should.