PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Very, very very basic skinning.

FRain
August 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Written in like, 20-30 minutes for Selentic's thread.

This is what I do, some people think that I go a little excessive on scratches but here is what I do:

Base metal:

Find a reference of what you're modeling, and open a picture of it in photoshop, grab a color off of it (lololol), make a new layer and fill the layer with that color. Then, find a few base metal textures and place them onto seperate layers, set them to overlay and at a low opacity so you can barely see them. Then grab a grunge brush (laugh at me, it works ok), make a new layer and just start spraying white everywhere :realsmug: . Then, do the same with black. Set to overlay, and low opacity so it is barely seen. Now, if you already have your UV set and you deleted the black color range, you should be set. If not, add your UV map into the scene and select > color range and select a black spot. Click OK and delete the area.

Outlining scratches

Make a new layer named "scratch outlines" and another named "scratch details" Set the "scratch outlines" to low opacity, about 14% and leave scratch details at 100%. Now, here is the fun part. Grab a grunge brush (dont make fun of me!) and bring it to about 2-6 px. Turn on shape dynamics, set angle jitter and size jitter all the way up. Go into dual brush, select another random brush, and bring up scattering until you can barely see a jittery line going across the bottom. Now, find a green UV line and paint over it in your scratch outline layer until you get a faint scratch line across it. Now, select your scratch detail layer and go back to brushes, bring up the scattering in dual brush until you can barely see a few dots running across the bottom. Now, go over that same scratch line with the new brush in the scratch detail layer. Do this for most of the green "seam" UV parts. Some places you may want to delete it because it doesn't look right, but the gyst of it is to outline the corners and such with scratches so it looks a little more metallic. You can also make perpendicular scratches this way.

Indentations:

When you need something to be indented into the bitmap, here is a cheap way to do it:

Make a new shape in the shape of your indent. Make sure it's white. Right click that layer > blending options. Select "inner shadow" and mess with the settings until you are satisfied. Following that, rasterize the shape layer and set to multiply.

And I think im going to stop typing now.

If you need help sel, message me on aim.

Deleted from sel's thread and reposted as a tutorial.

Feel free to mess with stuff, change it to your desire, not all textures will be the same.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6209/automag6.jpg
Was made a while ago, using the same method. Hunter's model

SnaFuBAR
August 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Please show an example of the outcome.

Limited
August 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Heres my attempt :D

Its part of a box.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2084/boxpreview.jpg

Edit: No idea why it has so much constrast, in Photoshop its better.

ExAm
August 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Edit: No idea why it has so much constrast, in Photoshop its better.What browser are you using? different browsers display images differently.

Limited
August 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
Firefox of course :O

SnaFuBAR
August 22nd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Turns out much like dirty marble (it's too cloudy). Damage is ambiguous and irrational. Material definition just isn't there. the only way someone could identify that as metal is because it's a gun. If you were to put that on a random object, how would you identify that it's supposed to be metal? you really have to think about how these materials really look.

Limited
August 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Who said it was metal? ;)...ya it was suppose to be heh.

Well that is soley the diffuse map, I was going to add a really good specular map to help with the metallic look.

SnaFuBAR
August 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
I REALLY think people need to start understanding the difference between building materials and finishes >__>

The pistol isn't even supposed to look metal, it's supposed to look "parkerized".

http://www.theshootersroost.com/images/parkerizing1-b.jpg Here you can see the difference between parkerization and metal. The black is obviously not metal. Though the BUILDING MATERIAL is metal, what you're looking at isn't. There is a stark contrast between the surface qualities of parkerized objects and bare metal, such as the bolt which you can see there.