PDA

View Full Version : Vista won't boot, permissions on msvcrt.dll wrong

Varmint260
August 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well, I started having this small problem with my computer yesterday. Whenever I tried to start up anything that made use of Java, I'd get an error involving the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll and then Java would crash. I figured something must have mucked up my msvcrt.dll file, so I went and grabbed a copy of the one on my mother's computer (they're both Vista 32bit) 'cause I'm pretty sure that one's healthy.

Well, I got the flash drive back to my computer and found that Windows will not allow me access to anything whatsoever in the system folder, so I couldn't replace said dll file. Being the complete and total dumbass I am, I changed the permissions on the file using the cmd prompt and then found out I still couldn't replace the file. I decided to try safe mode and BIG SHOCKER the computer won't boot into Windows at all any more; not in safe mode, regular mode, or any other mode. In the prompt to run it in safe mode, it suggests inserting my Vista install DVD (guess what, computer didn't come with one) and selecting "repair". Well, since I can't do that...

I now have my hard drive plugged into my mother's computer and I have discovered that I cannot change the permissions on the file or fix it. So, I'm asking for any suggestions you guys might have. Is there a cmd prompt command I can type in to manually set the permissions, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet, buy a new OS and back up all my files through this computer?

legionaire45
August 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Borrow a windows disk.

Repair install.

:x

Varmint260
August 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Alright; other thing I heard is that a specific Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit disc is required to work with a specific key; that is, a disc that has the same set of updates and service packs as the disc that installed the OS on the computer originally?

Syuusuke
August 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
I'm sure the only limitation is the Vista restore disks that are tied to a manufacturer.

For everything else

dydo
August 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Take ownership of the file and then give yourself full permissions and replace it. It should work.

Syuusuke
August 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
You should be able to go into safe mode and do that (right click, properties, security...)

=sw=warlord
August 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Take ownership of the file and then give yourself full permissions and replace it. It should work.

You should be able to go into safe mode and do that (right click, properties, security...)

Being the complete and total dumbass I am, I changed the permissions on the file using the cmd prompt and then found out I still couldn't replace the file. I decided to try safe mode and BIG SHOCKER the computer won't boot into Windows at all any more; not in safe mode, regular mode, or any other mode. In the prompt to run it in safe mode, it suggests inserting my Vista install DVD (guess what, computer didn't come with one) and selecting "repair". Well, since I can't do that...

Way to fucking read you guys....
Try burn a unbuntu DVD then try and copy the files over if you boot the ubuntu dvd from your pc with the drive connected you can boot ubuntu without installing.
once youve got ubuntu loaded copy the file over i dont think ubuntu has any of that ownership crap.

klange
August 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Way to fucking read you guys....
Try burn a unbuntu DVD then try and copy the files over if you boot the ubuntu dvd from your pc with the drive connected you can boot ubuntu without installing.
once youve got ubuntu loaded copy the file over i dont think ubuntu has any of that ownership crap.
The ntfs file system modules under Linux do not support the (arguably terrible) file permissions system that Windows uses and will effectively erase them when they are moved to an EXT2/3/4 file system such as the in-RAM virtual file system (because they are incompatible). Upon moving them back, they will be set to a rather generous array of permissions which should, in theory, fix the issue.

I do believe I talked someone through this for erasing permissions on a large number of "protected" (but not encrypted) files here a while back.

Syuusuke
August 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I now have my hard drive plugged into my mother's computer and I have discovered that I cannot change the permissions on the file or fix it.
:raise:

I know I'm being blunt here, but you should be able to change it, I did it before with another HD plugged in my computer. (psst that was what I was referring to warlord)

Btw which cmd did you use to change permissions?

Varmint260
August 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I found the command on the internet; first one was takeown, and the second one I used was something like cacls.

First thing I tried was to hook the hard drive into my mother's computer, but even after taking ownership of the file and resetting its permissions, I still couldn't get my computer to load Windows.

Anyhow, I chatted the tech guy at The Source yesterday, and he burned me a Vista OEM DVD that's supposedly capable of repairing any version of Vista. I'm skeptical about whether it'll repair ANY version, but booting off of that and selecting repair caused it to run a system restore, so I'm up and running again, with my msvcrt.dll file not causing errors any more.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone. I'm going to keep this new burned disk close by so I don't have to reveal how much of a dumbass I am next time my computer won't start ;)

Wakeboy1337
August 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
That disc should repair any edition of vista. Or at least any 32 bit version.