View Full Version : Topogun 1.0 released

DEElekgolo
August 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8017/24187725.png
Shit was cash.
http://www.topogun.com/

Roostervier
August 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
mind explaining what the fuck this is so people dont have to find out on their own?

Disaster
August 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
It lets you retopo a high poly model. When you retopo something, you basically build a low resolution mesh over your high resolution mesh with extreme ease.

Donut
August 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM
mind explaining what the fuck this is so people dont have to find out on their own?
yes this^
like specifically what it is and why we care to use it.
E: ok disaster posted the second before i did

Roostervier
August 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
It lets you retopo a high poly model. When you retopo something, you basically build a low resolution mesh over your high resolution mesh with extreme ease.
is it any different than the 3ds max 2010 graphite tools? just curious

Disaster
August 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
is it any different than the 3ds max 2010 graphite tools? just curious
I don't think there is a tool similar to retopo in the graphite tools so I'm going to have to go with a no there.

There is a retopo tool in zbrush though. It isn't quite as powerful as this though as the one in zbrush is a simple one and topogun is a program built entirely for it.

neuro
August 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
you keep going crazy about using ANOTHER program in your workflow which only slows you down in the end, you use what, max mudbox, topogun here, xnormals, crazybump, whatnot.

you dont need all that junk, it only makes you stupid, because you're taking a dumbass-shortcut. furthermore, these kind of apps never give you more than a starting point, a base to work off. using this type of thing just lets you cheat and not-learn anything by doing it yourself.

edit: just gave topogun a whirl with a 5 million polygon mesh, and i can't really say i'm impressed with it's performance, adding a simple edgeloop at certain points took up to 10 seconds sometimes, which really isn't that hard of an operation imo.

admittedly, it's got more features than i expected, and actually gives you a fair amount of control over what you're doing, but when i decided to do a creature i'd been working on for a little while, the topology i got wasn't nearly how it should have been, animation-wise, and i couldn't really find a way of having it retopologise it properly, and sticking to what it came up with originally, but giving me basically a pretty useless result. which makes me feel like i've got no control over it again.

in short, nifty tool, but still no match to a good artist. (like most tools)

L0d3x
August 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
you keep going crazy about using ANOTHER program in your workflow which only slows you down in the end, you use what, max mudbox, topogun here, xnormals, crazybump, whatnot.

you dont need all that junk, it only makes you stupid, because you're taking a dumbass-shortcut. furthermore, these kind of apps never give you more than a starting point, a base to work off. using this type of thing just lets you cheat and not-learn anything by doing it yourself.

Conclusion: anyone who uses this uses junk, and is a stupid dumbass.

Nice reasoning there neuro!

p0lar_bear
August 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM

While I agree it's better to do it manually to learn the conceptual part of it, if a process is complicated and time consuming, you have the know-how already, and there's something that'll get it done fast, why not use it?

neuro
August 27th, 2009, 08:34 AM
i'm not saying you ahve to do it all by hand per se, though i definately recomment everyone doing it at least a few times to find out what is good topology and what is bad topology. that's someting you can only learn by doing it, not from an app like this.

the reason i'm biassed against these types of applications is because people look at them as some kind of god-machines, spitting out instant awesomeness, and generally speaking, just assume it's awesome, without proper knowledge of topology, and therefore without knowing, the topology is half the time, just plain bad.

as polar sais though, if you do know how and what you should do, then yes, these things can be a nice little timesaver.
it's just another tool that does the same thing as 5 other tools do, it's all personal preference wether you use them or which one you use.

personally, i say do it by hand.
as my studio art director sais often: nobody is impressed by you hitting a button.
there's more to that, but it doesn't really apply here.
lodex, pro troll
very constructive post you've got there.

L0d3x
August 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I was merely pointing out that there was no need for the use of certain words and adverbs in your post. No need to get someone potentially worked up by using those kind of words. They also just illustrate a certain level of immaturity.

But whatever, interpret my post as you wish! I don't really care!