PDA

View Full Version : Wii games to play themselves...

Hotrod
August 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Are games too hard for you, Johnny? Don't worry -- Shiggy's got your back. Starting with upcoming New Super Mario Bros. Wii (http://www.joystiq.com/tag/new-super-mario-bros-wii), future Nintendo Wii titles will be shipping with the ability to, well, play themselves. In an interview with USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2009/06/67677679/1), the man who birthed Mario confirmed the existence of "demo play" for the next Mario game and "future games, too" -- essentially an option to allow the game to play itself when the player encounters an area too difficult for them to handle.

Savvy Joystiq loyalists will remember the patent filed by Nintendo (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/10/rumor-patent-hints-at-casual-zelda-title/) earlier this year, roughly outlining the feature. The idea behind this, Miyamoto explains, is to reduce the barrier to entry for younger players and casual alike. Last we checked, the whole point of games was the challenge but, ya know, who needs that? "Demo play" remains the tentative title for now, but we expect some Wii-ification by New Super Mario Bros. Wii's release later this year.
Source : http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/14/new-super-mario-bros-wii-future-titles-will-play-themselves/

Is it just me, or is the world become more and more lame as time passes on?

Sel
August 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
wow

ThePlague
August 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
If something is too hard to play, learn how to get past it. Don't just give up and have an AI bot do it for you.

This is a stupid idea, for stupid reasons, and stupid people.

thehoodedsmack
August 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I remember in Mario Party 2, being able to change the control from human to computer mid-game. Then we'd bet on our characters in the minigames. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

flibitijibibo
August 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM
This was actually announced shortly after E3. :slowpoke:

I suppose I can dig up my statement from June about this: From a technical standpoint, it's cool to see that they're designing AI that can complete itself, as opposed to the hilariously stupid AI that we've all known and loved over the last couple of decades. However, on the gameplay perspective, this AI may end up being an excuse for testing the game itself. So, ironically, the game will actually end up much, much harder, perhaps only possible to complete with the AI which tested it. So I suppose it will be easy to just have the AI play the game, but if a designer is dependent on this functionality, the level design can be done lazily as long as the bot can pass through it.

Also, I do the Mario Party bot betting too. Again, stupid AI makes for fun times.

ultama121
August 27th, 2009, 09:13 PM
This is beyond words level dumb.

Arteen
August 27th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I don't really see what's bad about this. I'm sure I could think up a lot of games I've played that have parts I would've liked to skip, due to frustrating, unfair difficulty, tedium, or something else that makes the segment just not fun.

Cortexian
August 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM
:frogout3:

Limited
August 28th, 2009, 01:14 AM
So, it isnt just to show bits of game, it has the ability to actually play the whole game for you while you watch?

Sounds stupid to me.

Mr Buckshot
August 28th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I'm waiting for the day we invent school homework that completes itself for us.

Seriously though, this is one of the dumbest ideas ever. I don't think a bot is really a good idea to test level design.

CN3089
August 28th, 2009, 02:24 AM
So since you're all pro gamers, why don't you just not use it? This sounds awesome, don't know why you're all hatin' on the Shigs. :neckbeard:

t3h m00kz
October 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Man, what happened to Nintendo since the days of the NES and SNES?

They used to be hardcore as shit.

Ganon
October 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM

- gunpei yokoi is dead
- shigeru miyamoto obviously gives no fucks anymore
- rare stopped making games for nintendo
- kids are pussies these days and need easy games

cheezdue
October 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Not to mention all those crappy "casual" games that are out for the DS and Wii.

Ganon
October 7th, 2009, 10:31 PM
lack of online play i mite add

Cortexian
October 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
DS had some awesome online support for a hand held. I remember staying up until the wee hours of the morning playing Mario Kart DS over my WiFi.

jngrow
October 8th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I'm glad. We aren't going to have a wave of super gamer kids who pwn me in Halo 18 when I'm 30. They will suck more, and pwning them will be more fun. MWAHAHAHA

Alwin Roth
October 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Wait... This is like making video games turn into... Television...

Trulife8342
October 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Kids need to stop being such pansies, stick a fork in a socket or jump off a tree like we used to do you pussies.

=sw=warlord
October 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Kids need to stop being such pansies, stick a fork in a socket or jump off a tree like we used to do you pussies.
Well there was that one kid a while back who decided it would be a good idea to put his xbox 360 psu into a bowl of water to cool it down...

Trulife8342
October 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Thats not being bad ass, thats being an idiot.

=sw=warlord
October 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Thats not being bad ass, thats being an idiot.
And putting a fork in a electric plug is badass?
I would have to say if anything i learned from my H&S course i did, 50hz 230V AC would definently have to hurt alot probably kill.
Darwinism i guess.

Trulife8342
October 12th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Warlord, if you watch George Carlin, you would understand. Please look at my posts for what they are, I clearly stated that kids are just too soft now a days, I simply tried making a joking in which you took far too literally.

=sw=warlord
October 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Warlord, if you watch George Carlin, you would understand. Please look at my posts for what they are, I clearly stated that kids are just too soft now a days, I simply tried making a joking in which you took far too literally.
Sorry, just been pretty tired lately so i've been a little cranky.

Trulife8342
October 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
lol, its all good =)

Donut
October 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM

i still cant fucking beat final fantasy 4.

Dwood
October 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
i still cant beat final fantasy 4.

I have problems with Metroid. :|

Random
October 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I don't see a problem with having AI, while making the game harder. This allows the designers to make the game harder while still allowing it to be approachable by causal gamers. As such it is a win win situation, those wanting harder less causal games can ignore the feature, while those who just want to have fun and care little about the challenge can still beat the game.