PDA

View Full Version : Prepping Laptop for Format and Win7 Final

Wakeboy1337
August 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I am currently backing up all my pictures and game saves to my external hard drive, I have deauthorized my iTunes music so it will not play on this computer. I've got all the lastest drivers for this pc on my external. I dont think I have overlooked anything.

I have one concern about all of this though. I've backed up my entire iTunes library onto the external drive. However I'm worried that when I plug my itouch back in on the new config it's going to tell itunes it doesn't belong to this computer and I'm going to have to format it and loose my jailbreak and all my jailbroken apps and start the ipod over from nothing again. I really really don't want to deal with that. Is there a file or group of files that I can save from somewhere deep down in my computer that will let me just plug the ipod in and sync it like nothing ever happened?

I can't think of any other problems I might have to face. I've tried saving an entire itunes library before and wiping a computer, for my mom's ipod video 5.5g but the ipod still told itunes it needs to erase and resync.:raise: Of course that's not nearly as big of a deal as it would be to get all my jailbroken apps back and set back how I had them.

Cojafoji
August 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Pretty sure you're screwed buddy. Sorry D:

Wakeboy1337
August 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'll SSH into the device and save what I can :/

klange
August 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
How many other machines have you authorized the account on? You get 5 and can reset them all once a year. I've hooked countless iPods up to different machines and have never had problems, except trying to get the music /off/ of them.

Wakeboy1337
August 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I still have a 2 or 3 slots. I know the music can be on multiple machines but I thought an ipod is matched to one pc and that's all it gets. Unless you erase it.

Cojafoji
August 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM
How many other machines have you authorized the account on? You get 5 and can reset them all once a year. I've hooked countless iPods up to different machines and have never had problems, except trying to get the music /off/ of them.
with the ipod touch/iphone, it erases everything when you couple it to a new itunes library.

klange
August 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM
with the ipod touch/iphone, it erases everything when you couple it to a new itunes library.
Then select "Manual"? I don't see what the problem is here. And if he needs to get the music off of it, he can use sftp - iTunes will read the song data from the files sitting on the iPod, just stick them in a folder. Viola, library reconstructed.

Wakeboy1337
August 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The music/videos/apps are saved. I dont want to loose everything from Cydia though.

klange
August 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
The music/videos/apps are saved. I dont want to loose everything from Cydia though.
That shouldn't happen. iTunes will only erase the music and App Store apps.

flibitijibibo
August 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
If you copy the iTunes library files (xml and such from User\Music\iTunes), iTunes should not have any trouble matching up the iPod with the library. I used to share my library between 2 machines, and because the library files were identical, I could plug in my iPod and sync to both without any issues.

As for the iPod Video's files, just go into the hidden iPod_control folder and copy the music/videos that she won't be able to get back.

Cojafoji
August 28th, 2009, 01:14 PM
That shouldn't happen. iTunes will only erase the music and App Store apps.
like i said, the last time i did a fresh install, it reformatted it. hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Wakeboy1337
August 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
If you copy the iTunes library files (xml and such from User\Music\iTunes), iTunes should not have any trouble matching up the iPod with the library. I used to share my library between 2 machines, and because the library files were identical, I could plug in my iPod and sync to both without any issues.

As for the iPod Video's files, just go into the hidden iPod_control folder and copy the music/videos that she won't be able to get back.

It worked, thank da lawd.

Idgi, last time i ever attempted that it did not work.:maddowns: