PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Discussion

jcap
August 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Windows 7 is pretty cool. Though, it's really not that much different from Vista other than it adds a dock in your taskbar. I'd say that if you're happy with Vista, then keep it, but if you're running XP, then you NEED to upgrade.

Some bugs, but hopefully Microsoft will patch before release!

So how's your Windows 7 experience going?

jcap
August 29th, 2009, 01:34 AM
By the way, here's my desktop:

http://jcap.h2vista.net/files/personal/w7_desktop_1.jpg

Still unfinished and working on it.

Timo
August 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I'm also interested on how iTunes runs on this OS please answer asap

InnerGoat
August 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
You guys are getting off topic i'm just interested how iTunes runs on windows 7

jcap
August 29th, 2009, 01:42 AM
iTunes on W7 runs just like any other Apple products - slow and shitty

Cagerrin
August 29th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Really. I for one can do without the shiny-over-functionality trend that Vista tried to cash in on.

Rook
August 29th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Never used vista on my own computer can't comment on that, mom did and said it was okay. Been using windows 7 for a while and it's grate... probably won't buy until I actually have to though.

Cortexian
August 29th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate build 7600 (RTM) for a couple weeks now. No real differences over build 7137 that I could notice...

Rook
August 29th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Still on 7100 here

Timo
August 29th, 2009, 04:28 AM
RTM is the best.

Cortexian
August 29th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Still on 7100 here
I'm 500 builds ahead of you DAYUM!

RTM is the best.
QFT.

legionaire45
August 29th, 2009, 07:00 AM
My copy should be here some time in October.

sdavis117
August 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Once I get a new DVD drive for my PC I will upgrade. Till then, not being able to play DVD's on W7 is too big of an issue for me.

Jean-Luc
August 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'm hoping to upgrade this weekend to W7 RTM 64 bit, but I'm not sure if the Windows XP 64-bit drivers I have for my network adapter will work on W7.

Horns
August 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I want to do a full install of ultimate when w7 comes out but putting $300 into a $700 dollar laptop just for an os just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Varmint260
August 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
My copy should be here some time in October.

Same here. I found out a couple weeks ago that my particular computer, if bought after June twenty-something 2009, is eligible for a free upgrade to Win7. On the other hand, this free upgrade only applies for a 32-bit OS, so I may still buy a 64-bit some time. But, I'll wait until my 32-bit Win7 arrives, use it for awhile, and see how it goes.

BobtheGreatII
August 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I've got the RTM, never going back to another operating system again. 7 is delicious.

Cojafoji
August 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
next freelance site i do = windows 7.

Abdurahman
August 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Just got the Win7 Pro RTM 64 bit a few days ago. Man this is the best OS ever in my opinion! It is just amazing! And I finally get to use all 4gb of my ram.

Heathen
August 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM
stop, do not trole

Really. I for one can do without the shiny-over-functionality trend that Vista tried to cash in on.
You know, a lot of people say that 7's only a bunch of bells and whistles, but I cant tell you how often I use the snap to left or right side thing, aero shake, view desktop, etc.

I have been using xp at school and I have been dragging things to the side and then feeling like an ass.

InnerGoat
August 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
You guys are getting off topic i'm just interested how iTunes runs on windows 7

iTunes on W7 runs just like any other Apple products - slow and shitty

huh?? well anyways yeah windows 7 rtm legit here as well its a really great os so far

ultama121
August 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
7100 here still. :iia:

Cortexian
August 30th, 2009, 05:36 PM
it adds a dock in your taskbar.

http://jcap.h2vista.net/files/personal/w7_desktop_1.jpg

I personally can't stand that "large icon" setup that Windows 7 introduced, it eats up a bit of desktop space and looks to large. The "Always Combine Icons" features is really annoying as well since you have to hover over the application and THEN select the window you want, as opposed to clicking the window you want.

Jean-Luc
August 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I personally can't stand that "large icon" setup that Windows 7 introduced, it eats up a bit of desktop space and looks to large. The "Always Combine Icons" features is really annoying as well since you have to hover over the application and THEN select the window you want, as opposed to clicking the window you want.
IAWTP

Cortexian
August 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
IAWTP
Be like me and just disable "Small Icons" and "Always Combine":
http://freelancer.lancersedge.com/pics/Windows_7_Desktop-August-30-2009.jpg

jcap
August 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I completely agree. I think it is an awful attempt at a dock. It is the worst thing ever introduced where multitasking is concerned. I get lost all the time with all the windows I have open. I can't see what is open.

Also, the classic non-condensed taskbar sucks too. It looks like shit. It would have been smart if they made the icons condense when the taskbar fills up, but when you hover over them, it expands in the bar.

To give you all my honest opinion, I think Windows 7 is nothing but hype and the only reason people "praise" it is because they think it MUST be better than Vista since it succeeds it. Not only that, but it's probably one of the best examples of groupthink ever. Vista was never bad - you just had god damn retards that don't know jack shit about what they want and join in with everyone else saying "YEAH! WINDOWS VISTA SUCKS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW SHIT!" Windows Vista did poorly because of the same reason Windows 7 is doing well.

hry
August 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Same here. I found out a couple weeks ago that my particular computer, if bought after June twenty-something 2009, is eligible for a free upgrade to Win7. On the other hand, this free upgrade only applies for a 32-bit OS, so I may still buy a 64-bit some time. But, I'll wait until my 32-bit Win7 arrives, use it for awhile, and see how it goes.

Yeah me too, actually I'm using Vista now, I was thinking about change Vista to W7 RTM, but meh; I'm gonna wait for my copy.

Cortexian
August 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I completely agree. I think it is an awful attempt at a dock. It is the worst thing ever introduced where multitasking is concerned. I get lost all the time with all the windows I have open. I can't see what is open.

Also, the classic non-condensed taskbar sucks too. It looks like shit. It would have been smart if they made the icons condense when the taskbar fills up, but when you hover over them, it expands in the bar.

To give you all my honest opinion, I think Windows 7 is nothing but hype and the only reason people "praise" it is because they think it MUST be better than Vista since it succeeds it. Not only that, but it's probably one of the best examples of groupthink ever. Vista was never bad - you just had god damn retards that don't know jack shit about what they want and join in with everyone else saying "YEAH! WINDOWS VISTA SUCKS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW SHIT!" Windows Vista did poorly because of the same reason Windows 7 is doing well.
There's always that little thing about Windows 7 being more stable and running with less system resources than Vista. And the fact that it's a better OS in general!

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 30th, 2009, 07:08 PM
7229 here :P

jcap
August 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM
There's always that little thing about Windows 7 being more stable and running with less system resources than Vista. And the fact that it's a better OS in general!
The only thing Windows 7 does better is managing resources and leaving a smaller memory footprint. (< that is meant to be collective) That's all. Even so, that is not even a concern if you have enough RAM in your computer. If you have less than 1 GB, you'd bitch, but if you're above that you will never even notice that Vista is using 400 MB more than W7.

Jean-Luc
August 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The only thing Windows 7 does better is managing resources and leaving a smaller memory footprint. (< that is meant to be collective) That's all. Even so, that is not even a concern if you have enough RAM in your computer. If you have less than 1 GB, you'd bitch, but if you're above that you will never even notice that Vista is using 400 MB more than W7.
You act like a 400mb difference is a minor thing. That's absolutely massive, especially when using memory intensive applications like Photoshop and 3dsmax.

jcap
August 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM
You act like a 400mb difference is a minor thing. That's absolutely massive, especially when using memory intensive applications like Photoshop and 3dsmax.
I'm not saying it is small - it was unnecessarily huge so they made it smaller. But, if you're complaining that 400 MB is OH MY GOD SO MUCH, then you should just buy another 2 GB of RAM for $20.

FRain
August 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have 1GB of ram and I probably can't upgrade for another year -hth

=sw=warlord
August 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
But then if your doing that stuff you would have atleast 2GB's to start off with prefferbly arround 4Gb's.

Jean-Luc
August 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
But then if your doing that stuff you would have atleast 2GB's to start off with prefferbly arround 4Gb's.

I have 4GB, but all considered, ~400mb off that is 10% less. That's a considerable amount.

Varmint260
August 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I've maxed my computer out at 4GB, so I guess that copy of Win7 32-bit that I'm getting free when it releases won't go to waste. EDIT: Seems like ReadyBoost doesn't even offer much of a boost either, eh? 4GB ready-boost only makes a difference with around 512mb of RAM.

Jean-Luc
August 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
A pity that 32 bit systems can only use 3GB of RAM :(

Cortexian
August 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM
A pity that 32 bit systems can only use 3GB of RAM :(
32 bit systems have a maximum system memory of 4GB. That includes your video RAM, motherboard RAM, or whatever else you might have. If you had a 256MB graphics card you could have 3,840MB's of RAM installed on your motherboard. You can usually get up to 3.5GB's of RAM, since the majority of graphics cards on consumer systems are still 512MB (4,096 - 512 = 3,584 = 3.5GB).

You could have 4GB of RAM installed on your motherboard if you were using an integrated graphics card that shared your installed memory.

I've got 8GB's of 1066MHz RAM installed, so I really don't notice a difference in ANYTHING.

Amit
August 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
32 bit systems have a maximum system memory of 4GB. That includes your video RAM, motherboard RAM, or whatever else you might have. If you had a 256MB graphics card you could have 3,840MB's of RAM installed on your motherboard. You can usually get up to 3.5GB's of RAM, since the majority of graphics cards on consumer systems are still 512MB (4,096 - 512 = 3,584 = 3.5GB).

You could have 4GB of RAM installed on your motherboard if you were using an integrated graphics card that shared your installed memory.

I've got 8GB's of 1066MHz RAM installed, so I really don't notice a difference in ANYTHING.

Wow, 8GB? I was talking to somebody on LOTRO and he said his parents bought him an Ibuypower (shitty) PC with 12GB of RAM on it. I laughed because a 32-bit version of Home Premium was included with it. Even if he had a 64-Bit OS, there's more RAM there than what a nonsensical user will need for the next decade.

And thanks for the memory explanation. Maybe I should grab a 512MB stick from my other PC and drop it into my current setup to see if it works.

Cortexian
August 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Wow, 8GB? I was talking to somebody on LOTRO and he said his parents bought him an Ibuypower (shitty) PC with 12GB of RAM on it. I laughed because a 32-bit version of Home Premium was included with it. Even if he had a 64-Bit OS, there's more RAM there than what a nonsensical user will need for the next decade.

And thanks for the memory explanation. Maybe I should grab a 512MB stick from my other PC and drop it into my current setup to see if it works.
When I disable my Windows paging file and setup LotRO in a certain way I don't get loading screens ever. All the instance portals and area transitions load instantly. :realsmug:

You can get 24GB's of memory now with Intel Core i7 based systems, since they've got six RAM slots on their motherboards. Fill those six slots with 4GB DIMM's and you get yourself 24GB's of (useless) memory.

Amit
August 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM
When I disable my Windows paging file and setup LotRO in a certain way I don't get loading screens ever. All the instance portals and area transitions load instantly. :realsmug:

:allears:

Xetsuei
August 31st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Windows 7 is miles better than Vista. Finally something to replace XP Pro.

And anyone who is using the 32bit version is a dumbass unless you actually have a 32bit processor.

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 12:55 AM
Or for those of us who have hardware that lack 64-bit drivers :smith:

Cortexian
August 31st, 2009, 01:07 AM
Or for those of us who have hardware that lack 64-bit drivers :smith:
By now there should be drivers, even if they're the ones from Windows update...

What hardware do you have issues with?

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Belkin Wireless G+ Mimo USB Adapter
Model Number: F5D9050

Trust me, I've searched like crazy for working 64-bit drivers for this thing. They just don't exist yet.

Cortexian
August 31st, 2009, 01:15 AM
Belkin Wireless G+ Mimo USB Adapter
Model Number: F5D9050

Trust me, I've searched like crazy for working 64-bit drivers for this thing. They just don't exist yet.
Have you tried using the 32 bit drivers and pointing windows to the driver manually? I've read a couple of reports indicating that worked after searching for a bit.

I'd give it a shot if you can install Windows 7 64 bit somewhere and try it out. Though if it were me I'd just buy a new wireless G adapter that had 64 bit drivers.

Rook
August 31st, 2009, 01:36 AM
Had a similar problem with a NIC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124101

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9634/lne.png

Varmint260
August 31st, 2009, 10:05 PM
And anyone who is using the 32bit version is a dumbass unless you actually have a 32bit processor.

Or... I'm getting it for free (that and I've had no problems with my inferior OS)? :realsmug:

Anyhow, I've heard that thing about the maximum system RAM of 4Gb, but is that even slightly flexible? I have a 1GB GDDR3 video card and 4Gb of DDR2 RAM in my motherboard, yet Task Manager insists I have 3326Mb available (and I'm assuming it's counting just the DDR2 RAM, not the GPU's VRAM as well).

Warsaw
August 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM
It depends on your total RAM. Assuming you have a videocard with 0 VRAM, then yes, you can get 4GB out of your system RAM in Windows :downs:. Subtract whatever your video card has from the system RAM, and there's how much you have available.

Also, this hubbub about 32-bit being constrained to 4GB applies to Windows specifically, because that's the way it was written (can't comment on OSX). Plenty of 32-bit Linux distros can run more than 4GB of RAM.

StankBacon
September 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
i use 32 bit because i only have 2 gigs of ram, once i get 4 or more, ill move to 64bit, but until then im 32'in up.

ThePlague
September 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
My lappy can only run 32 bit 'cause its so old :\

Rook
September 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
My lappy can only run 32 bit 'cause its so old :\

I just had a mind fuck. what.

ThePlague
September 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
An IBM T43 Laptop. Only has 1 gig of ram. Going to bump it up though to two.

Or am I supposed to not be running Windows 7 on this? :p

klange
September 1st, 2009, 05:36 PM
My laptop is from '07, it only does 32-bit because it's a Core ("1") Duo. Then there's every last Atom device...

Xetsuei
September 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
My laptop is from '07, it only does 32-bit because it's a Core ("1") Duo. Then there's every last Atom device...

Like I said, unless you computer actually can't run 64bit (32bit CPUS - N or Z Atom Processor, Core Duo, Pentium, etc) there is no reason to not use 32bit, even if you don't have more than 4GB ram total.

PlasbianX
September 1st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Just got this for free through college. Debating whether or not I wanna use it or not.

Xetsuei
September 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Just got this for free through college. Debating whether or not I wanna use it or not.

Yes, you definitely want to use it.

Lateksi
September 5th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Can you have hardware acceleration on in Halo by default?

ExAm
September 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Not upgrading my OS 'till I upgrade my PC, and it'll be a while. At this time, I can't afford the increase in resources taken up by W7, what with my framerates in newer games being just barely over 60fps and all. I upgrade, and that'll be slashed.

Corndogman
September 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'm kind of annoyed that you can't upgrade from previous versions of W7, I don't feel like backing up all the shit on my partition so I can upgrade.

Futzy
September 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
So what's the best way of going about installing the rtm via an iso?
I'm currently running 32 bit Vista and plan on upgrading to 64 bit W7.

I don't want to do a duel boot, just W7, so what do I need to do? I've never installed an operating system before, besides the W7 beta on duel boot.

Will it format all of my files? Or can I just upgrade directly from Vista?

I have an ftp server for storage.

Xetsuei
September 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
You can't upgrade to Windows 7, it has to be a clean install.

Phopojijo
September 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Microsoft said that because they don't want to support the problems that'll crop up as a result.

A workaround was released for Beta -> RC upgrading... turns out it was Microsoft who even released the workaround... editing a simple text file. It's just Microsoft's way of saying "Don't effing doooo thattttt!" while still giving you the way to do it... leaving the burdon of broken crap on your shoulders.

legionaire45
September 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Lol, apparently my school lets me dl free copies of all Microsoft software excluding games and Office.

Kewl. Including Windows.

They haven't given me my Comp Sci account though :<

Phopojijo
September 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
So... Windows, Visual Studio...

Saggy
September 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah you can, as long as you are using Vista.

flibitijibibo
September 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
You read the above post? Can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. If he were upgrading to 32 bit, it would be fine.

As for backing stuff up, everything will be in windows.old, so just be prepared to reinstall a few programs. The rest is a lot of copypasting.

Limited
September 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I wish I was on Windows 7. Cant seem to burn it to a DVD, and cant get USB to boot. And I'm not sure if my pc can handle Windows 7.

Saggy
September 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
You read the above post? Can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. If he were upgrading to 32 bit, it would be fine.

As for backing stuff up, everything will be in windows.old, so just be prepared to reinstall a few programs. The rest is a lot of copypasting.
How was I supposed to know that he was referring to the post above him? He gave no indication. I thought he was just saying that it was impossible to upgrade to Windows 7 in general.

flibitijibibo
September 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Uh, sorry? No hostility intended. But I will say, Xetsuei has probably seen the upgrade editions of 7 on NewEgg. :P

Saggy
September 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Uh, sorry? No hostility intended. But I will say, Xetsuei has probably seen the upgrade editions of 7 on NewEgg. :P
Haha, it's all right :P Sorry if you found my post hostile, I just wanted to state that I had no clue that Xet was referring to the post above. Whatever, no harm done :P

Daishi
September 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm sad. Dad got the RTM version last week, and I installed it. Well, it turns out that both x86 and x64 hate my computer with a bloody passion. Constant crashes once or twice every hour. No warning, just bluescreen restart. I revert to XP, totally stable. The most frustrating thing about it is that I tested the Windows 7 beta on both x86 and x64 and they were absolutely stable. But now, after I've preordered it, my computer decides that it isn't gonna work. >.>

Phopojijo
September 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Did you check to see what the Bluescreen was caused by? Telling us the file that comes up as causing the crash (as well as what type of crash)

Probably some stupid little driver.

Futzy
September 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Don't know if I should be posting this here, but the anti-virus I have now, CA, is constantly giving me trouble with installs and such.
Is there anything else I can get for free when I switch over to windows 7? The subscription i have for CA only last for a few more months anyway.

Also, what about my CS3? I have legit codes and everything, but I cannot find anywhere that I can re-download my design premium package. I don't have a CD.
And will it work on 64bit?

Abdurahman
September 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Had Win7 for almost 2 weeks now. Best OS experience I've ever had. Everything is ultra smooth and responsive. No crashes whaatsoever. Not one. I love 7!

Heathen
September 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Same here.

NullZero
September 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Same

Shame that ALchemy is getting dated, and can't EAX a few games :(

ThePlague
September 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM
should I install the RTM or wait for the actual release? Right now i'm running on the 7100 build.

Heathen
September 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
should I install the RTM or wait for the actual release? Right now i'm running on the 7100 build.

rtm brosef.

Abdurahman
September 8th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Yes. RTM. Install was also as smooth as possible.

Jelly
September 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM
http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2009/Sep/0039.html

*buys laptop*

*crashes all vista and above machines on wireless networks*

king_nothing_
September 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I upgraded to it from Vista...

Daishi
September 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Did you check to see what the Bluescreen was caused by? Telling us the file that comes up as causing the crash (as well as what type of crash)

Probably some stupid little driver.

The error, when I got one, was this: "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval."

I gather that this means my CPU isn't synching correctly, but I have no clue what to do for it.

Futzy
September 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/999/15840821.png
idgi

I had the same rating as my gfx card for aero on vista (5.8)

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4320/wewtc.png
Post your ratings guys!

Cortexian
September 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Post your ratings guys!
Kay.

http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/computer/Windows_7_WEI.jpg

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
beat me by only a few points >:(

Cortexian
September 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Just wait till I RAID 0 my primary OS when 7 actually comes out.

AAA
September 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Why does Freelancer have a better score on processor than you? he has a lower clocked CPU... and they're the SAME!!! is it because of the hardware associated with the CPU?

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
:suicide:
give me money, now
mine is at 2.7ghz atm btw

AAA
September 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I am eager to see the score you get when you achieve this. I want to learn how to set up RAID 0 as soon as I get 2 500GB Hard Drives.

Cortexian
September 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I am eager to see the score you get when you achieve this. I want to learn how to set up RAID 0 as soon as I get 2 500GB Hard Drives.
My current hard drive setup is:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/computer/HDD_Setup.jpg
Seagates are ST350063 0AS SATA drives.
Western Digitals are WD1001FALS SATA drives.

I also just buffed my clocks up to 3.10Ghz, currently running Prime95 with Core Temp/CPU-Z running to check the stability... Just passed the 20m mark, I'm going to go for 40m and then say it's stable.

Then I'm going to try and up my memory speed.

InnerGoat
September 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM

you'll get .1 more on the HDD score. It takes into account access times and all that good stuff

Cortexian
September 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
you'll get .1 more on the HDD score. It takes into account access times and all that good stuff
Yea probably but it's better then spending money on an insanely over priced SSD.

Also:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/computer/Full_Spectrum_September-15-2009.jpg

CPU-Z Validated (http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=711932)

I'll re-run the WEI to see if my CPU goes up.

Edit:
+0.1 on CPU and memory scores:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/computer/Windows_7_WEI_Sept-15-2009_02.jpg

Going to try and speed up my memory now...

AAA
September 16th, 2009, 12:33 AM
........We should have our own overclockers' Category :iamafag: Full of specs, How to's, Questions, WEI Scores, Modifications, and Threads!

Cortexian
September 16th, 2009, 12:40 AM
........We should have our own overclockers' Category :iamafag: Full of specs, How to's, Questions, WEI Scores, Modifications, and Threads!
Yea, make it a Tech Talk Sub-Forum.

Rook
September 16th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Edit:
+0.1 on CPU and memory scores:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/computer/Windows_7_WEI_Sept-15-2009_02.jpg

score I got on my $500 budget build:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1468/scorec.png

dual video cards can get.

Cortexian
September 16th, 2009, 12:59 AM
DDR3 > DDR2

I have a 680i based motherboard so I'm limited to DDR2.

AAA
September 16th, 2009, 01:01 AM
http://www.modacity.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=155&pictureid=1235

I'm planning on upgrading my processor to a Phenom II X3 720, overclocking that thing to either 3.2GHz or 3.7GHz, and grab some authentic, DDR2 Crucial Ballistix 800MHz performance RAM.

So, those numbers will go up.

ExAm
September 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
My current hard drive setup is:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/computer/HDD_Setup.jpg
Seagates are ST350063 0AS SATA drives.
Western Digitals are WD1001FALS SATA drives.

I also just buffed my clocks up to 3.10Ghz, currently running Prime95 with Core Temp/CPU-Z running to check the stability... Just passed the 20m mark, I'm going to go for 40m and then say it's stable.

Then I'm going to try and up my memory speed.
You will never, EVER run out of drive space. Ever.

flibitijibibo
September 16th, 2009, 01:18 AM
A friend of mine built a new PC around February, had 4 1TB drives.

He filled half of it in a week. Nothing but movies.

I'll have to ask him if he's run out of space yet.

Cortexian
September 16th, 2009, 01:37 AM
My 1TB's are in RAID 1 so they show up as a single drive, and there's only 91.4GB free on them. I store ALL of my media on there so it's mainly HD video that's eating up all my space. I've got 569GB's left between both of my 500GB drives though, so I've got plenty of space until I get some more 1TB drives.

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 16th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I have to be safe with my data now, I am almost out of space on my 1tb drive along with my 260gb drive, I'm gonna need to get a second 1tb....

Cortexian
September 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'm gonna need to get a second 1tb....
You should wait for 2TB drives to come down in price and become more stable. I'm currently saving up for a couple Western Digital RE4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136365) drives, but I'll wait and see what comes out for awhile since I'm in no rush for more storage yet.

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM
My bday is in less than a month so...

Cortexian
September 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
My bday is tomorrow, so...

Cojafoji
December 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
little late to the party. two months late ): finally go windows 7, and it's fucking sweet. best part is, i had already collected my 64 installers because of my xp installation, so after install, settling in was pretty sweet, not to mention fast. so many new features that weren't in xp or vista. some crazy shit.

gg m$

Limited
December 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Damnit I cant wait to build my pc and install Windows 7. Looks incredible and sexi.

Geo
December 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Yeah I'm still working on mine. I'll be installing w7 as soon as its assembled :neckbeard:

legionaire45
December 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Finally got my copy to activate - had to activate over the phone :/

Only app I've really had trouble with so far is 3DS Max 9 x64 - it was working fine for a while but as soon as Windows started bitching about activation it blew up. I have Max 9 32 bit work fine now, but it's still rather annoying.

I've noticed the battery life on my laptop has improved a lot with Win 7 compared to Vista. Not sure if it's doing something different with Aero or what, but I've gotten an extra half hour or so which isn't bad considering this thing's an Alienware :P.

Varmint260
December 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Just installed Windows 7 this morning.

On the positive side, I'm idling using 925mb of RAM instead of 1.2Gb of RAM. I'd prefer for it to be lower, but heck... something's better than nothing, right? Also on the positive side, I haven't noticed a performance drop in any of my games or programs. Then again, nothing is noticeably faster, either.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure if I like the new taskbar. I'll have to give it some time. Had some trouble with Windows muting everything else when I started a Skype conversation, but I think I've fixed that.

I don't know how accurate that "Windows Experience Index" is, but when I was on Vista everything was 5.9 except the processor which was 5.4, and now the processor is 6.2 with the HDD being the lowest at 5.9. I seriously doubt my processor has suddenly gotten faster. EDIT: I thought the Vista and 7 scales were supposed to be the same up to 5.9 which is what Vista stops at?

BobtheGreatII
December 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
No, Windows 7 and Vista have completely different Rating Systems. Windows 7 goes to 7.9. Also if the taskbar bugs you so much change it back to classic Windows style. Also I idle around 600. I don't know what kind of background programs you have going... but yeah.

sdavis117
December 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I idle around 450mb.

TheGhost
December 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I don't know how accurate that "Windows Experience Index" is, but when I was on Vista everything was 5.9 except the processor which was 5.4, and now the processor is 6.2 with the HDD being the lowest at 5.9. I seriously doubt my processor has suddenly gotten faster. EDIT: I thought the Vista and 7 scales were supposed to be the same up to 5.9 which is what Vista stops at?

I think the scores are kind of arbitrary, but I think your general understanding is correct. Identical hardware under Windows Vista and Windows 7 should produce similar scores for items under 5.9. Then they added 2 points to account for more advanced hardware. But the scores may not be identical because of new testing procedures for newer technology (e.g. new processor instructions, multiple cores, solid state drives). Does anyone know if they detail exactly how the scores are calculated?

http://www.adampapamarcos.com/files/w7score.png

StankBacon
December 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/19/engineering-the-windows-7-windows-experience-index.aspx

interesting read.

Advancebo
December 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM
If only I had the money :)

Futzy
December 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
You don't have $30?

Varmint260
December 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Also I idle around 600. I don't know what kind of background programs you have going... but yeah.

I closed Steam and uTorrent and now it's running around 725mb idle. I wonder if having a TV tuner card is using some memory?

Anyhow, I do understand that I can change the theme back to Windows classic. I'm just going to give this setup a while and see if I like it.

Cojafoji
December 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
you can get it back to windows classic, but the start menu will not. that's the only thing that really pisses me off...

CrAsHOvErRide
December 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Am I the only one loving the Start Menue and the Library system?
http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/7sj0ahq/awdawdawdaw.jpg
:iamafag:

neuro
December 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
not sure what to think.

for some reason, any kind of uploading makes my system instable as FUCK, and often results in crashing.

this includes hosting a game of borderlands (as soon as someone joins, i can press reset) or even uploading an attachment in hotmail.

in fact, uploading something in hotmail is almost GUARANTEED to crash.
both on interent explorer and firefox.

googled a bit, and apparently, TONS of people are having a similar issue with windows 7 crashing just by using an internet browser. (this is a virgin pc btw)

Cojafoji
December 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
the library system pwns. can't wait to get the rest of my home computers running 7, so that i can fully enjoy them...

Limited
December 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Sweet, all my stuff has arrived, I just gotta wait to go home :P

By the way, I heard that anything above 5.9 on that scale for HDD is reserved for SSD only.

StankBacon
December 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
not sure what to think.

for some reason, any kind of uploading makes my system instable as FUCK, and often results in crashing.

this includes hosting a game of borderlands (as soon as someone joins, i can press reset) or even uploading an attachment in hotmail.

in fact, uploading something in hotmail is almost GUARANTEED to crash.
both on interent explorer and firefox.

googled a bit, and apparently, TONS of people are having a similar issue with windows 7 crashing just by using an internet browser. (this is a virgin pc btw)

are you using a usb wire to you modem/router or ethernet?

neuro
December 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
nope, wireless.

Cojafoji
December 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM
no problems like that here. been torrenting since i got this thing, and the two ftp uploads i have going right now are fine. you got the short end of the stick on this one.

Cortexian
December 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM
It's most likely your wireless drivers, I had a plague of problems with my D-Link USB wireless adapter on Windows 7 until an update showed up for it in Windows Update. I would loose connection randomly, the adapter would fail to see any wireless networks, sometimes FTP uploads would bluescreen my PC... Bluescreens were rare on uploads and I haven't experienced any since the update.

StankBacon
December 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
nope, wireless.

it still uses usb, which in vista and 7 are very unstable.

if possible use wired, if that isn't an option, try finding win7 certified drivers for you wireless thingy.

mR_r0b0to
December 12th, 2009, 01:42 AM
i'm still running xp :s
so from what i've read, windows 7 is fairly clean and runs well?

neuro
December 12th, 2009, 04:10 AM
alright, ill try installing new drivers.

edit: with new drivers, the thing doesnt work AT ALL.
reverted back to the drivers on the CD, but those are drivers dating back to 3/10/2008, kinda old, and obviously not windows-7-worthy.

im just working down the list of drivers till i find one that's not so ancient, but actually works.
other wise, i might just go to the store and buy a new wireless card, or get a nice long wire.

which sucks, because i've got a cat that likes to destroy any wire it can get its teeth on.