PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 freezes after boot

Timo
August 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I tried installing Windows 7 RTM on my brother's computer yesterday. The installation goes fine, it gets up to the point where it says "Windows is starting services", then the screen goes black and stays that way. It restarts and seems to boot fine, after the windows loading screen though the screen goes black again and after about 10 minutes it reboots itself.

Computer's Specs:
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (2.0GHz)
NVidia 7600GS
2GB 533MHz
Asus M2N68-VM

I'm not 100% sure on the motherboard, it was the cheapest one I could find at the time with AM2 support. Is it possible that the motherboard is doing something? I can't see what wouldn't be supported by windows 7 :[ I've tried searching around but there's not much info about Windows 7 RTM out when it comes to stuff like this at the moment.

e: I've tried using the disk to "Fix startup problems" but it's saying there's no problem.

Phopojijo
August 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Depending where you got Windows 7 RTM... it could be a virus/rootkit laced into the install that is crashing on your PC. Y'know, popular software that has kernel permissions that people wouldn't know what to expect during install... kinda a good delivery method for a Trojan.

Or your harddrive could have bad sectors...

Timo
August 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
It's the official release from technet. I think I might just recover Windows XP from the windows.old directory and try again later. Maybe there's something dodgy up with Windows XP :|

Amit
August 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Whoa man, doing a clean install always works best. Otherwise, you don't know what went wrong and you're stuck guessing like you are now.

Timo
August 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Moving the HDD into a folder before installing is still more or less a clean install - I didn't upgrade.

Well I turned his computer on this morning with a bunch of crap disabled in the BIOS and it seems to be working fine. Re-enabled all the important stuff and it still seems to be running fine.

/shrugs