PDA

View Full Version : In Modacity's Best Interest

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 12:51 AM
Over the past several months, I've been seeing a very common scenario take place. For those of us who have been part of the community for the last 9 months or so will have noticed quite a few different topics that either rant about or discuss the status of the community, and one of the most talked about issues is the lack of original content produced by Modacity. It's been discussed in two different ways, ranting or pleasant discussion, and neither of which has achieved any result. As much as it's probably going to be a waste of typing, both the intent of those past topics and what I'm about to say are truly in your best interest to take to heart and actually attempt to do.

One of our biggest problems is the lack of original content due to our general restriction of working in the Halo universe, specifically along the lines of remaking weapons/environments from in-game. The issue with this is that while you may learn a little bit about modelling and/or texturing by creating what you've seen ingame, you are neither making original content, nor really taking advantage of your ability. Personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing the MA5B Assault rifle made for the 12th time on these forums, with yet another WIP thread and members saying “Hey, it looks good man!” While I'm all for supporting your fellow members, we're not getting anywhere by supporting remake after remake of the same exact fucking weapon, especially when said weapon is from a game made in 2001!

I'm not going to lie, I've been the same way for an extremely long time. I spent 4 years, off and on, texturing and retexturing the Halo 1-3 Masterchief's. Now, while I was able to make a better texture and material every single time, that virtually means nothing in the real world. No company would ever look at that and go “Wow, we need this guy!” The reason for this is because the content simply isn't original, and basically tells that person “I've got an understanding of modelling/texturing, but my creativity is almost non-existent.” The worst part of this is that nothing that you create, especially if it's a remake of an already existing creation, is that it holds absolutely no worth in the real world, especially when it comes to portfolio work.

Now, I can fully understand the reasoning behind what is going on. It's very entertaining to create work in a universe that you love, even if that work is simply taking what was in the game, and making it look nicer. The issue comes in when you find that working in that universe, and doing the same thing over and over again becomes your comfort zone. You get stuck in it, you don't listen to people who tell you to try something new, and most if not all of the talent and creativity you might have goes to waste. In fact, the Sector 7 scene I'm working on right now is one of my first attempts to break free of my comfort zone, and is my farewell to working in the Halo universe in hopes of broadening my horizons and taking advantage of my own creativity.

It's perfectly fine to remake or create things in an existing universe that you love, but the problem with most of us is that we get too comfortable in that and never strive to improve ourselves as artists. This community could be so much more if we all got out of our comfort zones and worked on creating genuine, original content rather than rehashing things that we've seen for years and years. Even original content based in an existing universe is restrictive, as you are confined only to creating models/textures/scenes that would fit in that universe.

If there is anything I learned during my time in art college, it's that being stagnant in your art will only lead to complete, devastating failure. I don't care if you're looking for a job or simply turning in your homework; Nobody, anywhere, is going to place priority on the guy who creates Halo-themed artwork when there is another guy next to him with completely original/emotive ideas and artwork in his portfolio. 10 times out of 10, the guy with originality is going to be the one who gets the job and the success.

You'll notice that much of what I've been talking about has been in reference to what has been produced in The Studio, but in truth, it can apply to much more. I'll use kid908's attempt at a Modacity comic as an example. The reason that comic didn't succeed is because it tried too hard to fit into what I consider to be Modacity's “stereotype.” For a comic like that to succeed, it needs to blend original ideas and existing facts about the community/members in storylines that don't seem forced. The same applies to any piece you will ever produce. If it seems stereotypical and lacks originality, it will not be given much praise, if any at all.

Now, based upon what I've seen from this community before, I know there is a strong chance for this thread to turn into a shit slinging competition within the first three pages. All I can say is that if I can convince just one person to try something new and tap into their creative potential, then I can consider this post a success. I certainly hope more than one person will be affected and that you all will treat this with respect and actually take it to heart, but don't color me surprised if I see some of you get asshurt because you're too afraid of change and will defend yourself until this thread is locked.

English Mobster
August 31st, 2009, 01:22 AM
This is exactly what I've been thinking for a long time.

It's my reasoning behind learning/doing other things BESIDES Halo. While Gridlock and the Mombasa maps are my main priorities right now, I've been learning the Hammer editor and I've actually been working on a totally new IP, which will utilize the Halo engine, since it's the one I know the most about. I only have a model for one of the vehicles even close to being done right now, but I've been drawing up concepts when I don't have any computer handy. Creativity is always key.

DEElekgolo
August 31st, 2009, 01:34 AM
I've had a discussion about originality in xfire. I quote myself:
"Lets see someone make something custom in halo CE. Deleting everything in there tags and data folder and starting something completely original from scratch."

neuro
August 31st, 2009, 02:03 AM
why halo CE? :/

dat's SO 2000

Cagerrin
August 31st, 2009, 02:08 AM
I blame this thread for making me actually do something with my ancient 2.5km spaceship.

MetKiller Joe
August 31st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I've moved to Unreal. Halo is/was fun to play around with, but people will move on when they feel right about it. Inferno's making headway as well as some other people I know.

We will move on, and it will take some time. In my opinion, the transition is already taking place.

Ganon
August 31st, 2009, 11:24 AM
We will move on, and it will take some time. In my opinion, the exiles are already taking place.

ftfy :pcgaming:

klange
August 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM
I've had a discussion about originality in xfire. I quote myself:
"Lets see someone make something custom in halo CE. Deleting everything in there tags and data folder and starting something completely original from scratch."
Hrm. This. Let's make a new shooter with Blam! 1.

Make it completely unrelated to Halo. We've got the creative minds to generate a complete storyline, characters, environments, etc. etc.

@English: Care to share? Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the community if you don't tell us what you're working on. If you've got plans for something big and unique, you should let us in on it.

Alternatively, I'm all for writing our own engine and game, we have the programming background, graphics library experience, and general knowledge of mathematical topics to get the job done (and I've always wanted to see a reimplementation of Blam, as everything out there is Quake-like: fast-paced with limited strategy)

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 11:42 AM
To tell you the truth, I wasn't talking about starting a community project in order to improve (although it's not a bad idea). The idea I'm trying to get across, specifically to individuals, is to try something new. Get out of what you're used to and attempt something you never have before. That's the only way you'll improve.

As for English Mobster not sharing his ideas for his own IP, why should he if he doesn't want to? It's his ideas, his project, and just because he mentions it doesn't mean he's entitled to inform the community of what it's about. I have an IP of my own I'm working on, but I don't intend to share it with Modacity for quite some time for simple fear of theft. It's way too frightening of a notion for me to give information out to the public, and having my idea stolen because I hold no copyright claim to it.

Llama Juice
August 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I'm working on a game entirely unrelated to Halo and Blam!, but there isn't anything to show of it yet aside from ~110 pages of documentation... so... yar. There will be a thread when the time comes.

Limited
August 31st, 2009, 12:04 PM
I agree, there is alot of art based off Halo. Okay, maybe learn to model the Halo guns while you are a beginner, you know them well and its a good base to start. But from here future expansion is key. You dont need to be a concept artist just try new things.

As we all know, these forums are pretty much all art based projects. That is why I don't bother posting my work here, people won't know how to crit it correctly, and you might not understand it fully. The reason I dont post my art work, is because its crap compared to people's work on here, and I know I will get shot down for it.

annihilation
August 31st, 2009, 12:04 PM
E: nevermind.

MetKiller Joe
August 31st, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm working on a game entirely unrelated to Halo and Blam!, but there isn't anything to show of it yet aside from ~110 pages of documentation... so... yar. There will be a thread when the time comes.

On the same page, I've had actual work related to games for the past summer (when I was planning to learn Unreal) and was too busy to post anything here that was worth a mention.

But I'm going to work on it this year.

Pooky
August 31st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Funny how, at the time of this post I have 2 new unread threads about recreating Halo weapons :|

Dwood
August 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah... I've had plenty of awesome ideas... I know this is retarded, but what if Instead of saying "Chief" The Rines said "Gordon Freeman" xD

Okay, Okay. Here's my proposition: We create Community Teams. Then we divide the teams into their respective sections. (3d//sound//code//art//writer, 1 leader for each respective section, who reports to whomever) When we have all that figured out we Create a "Modacity Team" Section on the Forums, where we post and begin working on ideas for our own 100% custom Modacity Team Mod.

If you like the idea say so... And if enough ppl like it then let's make a new thread for it.

Bodzilla
August 31st, 2009, 04:26 PM
i dont. it could work but i believe it's got a 99% chance to fall flat on it's face.

your relying too much on commitment with others.
This is at an individual level thats where the problem is.

branch out people.

klange
August 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM
... where we post and begin working on ideas for our own 100% custom Modacity Team Mod.
I'd like to one-up this by saying, if we get enough programmers behind it, let's put some thought into writing our own engine.

SnaFuBAR
August 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM
LOL

This community? Accomplishing something together? xD

No. The point is that people here need to get away from the halo universe, and especially developing for Halo CE because everything about it and its process is horribly outdated.

Dwood
August 31st, 2009, 04:40 PM
i dont. it could work but i believe it's got a 99% chance to fall flat on it's face.

your relying too much on commitment with others.
This is at an individual level thats where the problem is.

That's why I think if we organize it properly then it holds. If you learn what other mod teams that have failed did wrong, then it is possible. I'm not saying it's a "everybody chip in" dealio. I'm saying we gather people who want to be in the team, check to be sure they know what they're doing, and go from there.

The idea is a Modacity Community Mod in the sense that it pools from the Modacity community for ideas and people. Best put as MCT, Modacity Community Team.

Heathen
August 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I figured thats why we changed the name from a halo centric name to a broader modding geared name. (see what I did there :iamafag: ) But people told me that I was wrong so I guess I am.

Then again it was Killa so I probably am right lol

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 04:46 PM
While you could have worded that a bit better Snaf, you're partially right.

Some of you seem to be under the notion that being a productive community means working together towards a single goal. That isn't even close to the point I'm trying to make, nor would it work on a practical level. As ßðÐŻÍ££å said, the problem is on an individual level.

Take a look at communities like CGTalk (http://forums.cgsociety.org/). You'll see that that there is one small subforum devoted to starting up teams. The major emphasis of the website and community is on individual work and creativity. There is topic after topic of original content being made, with members of the community providing criticism, ideas, suggestions, and above all, support in order to benefit individual work. That's the true definition of a community that works together. You'll also notice that the community isn't restricted to a particular program, style, or universe, and it's multitudes better for that.

Higuy
August 31st, 2009, 04:47 PM
the only reason i've stuck to mapping with halo is becuase the game is fun.

I've played unreal, css, crysis, and tf2

although there engines are all amazing (ive played around with unreal and sandbox2), in my eyes they are no were near as much fun Ive had building maps with halo. Crysis and unreal both have amazing engines, and very expandable editors, although the origional gameplay in both games aren't much fun imo; and I myself wouldn't want to go threw the entire proccess of making a completley new tag set by myself.
Though making something completley new (like garden, with a default tag set) would be nice, in a good game and a good editor.

Dwood
August 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Just throwing the idea out there. No need to shoot me down. (Not you, Jean)

SnaFuBAR
August 31st, 2009, 04:56 PM
i am missing the point

The point is that even if it is FUN, you are not growing in your capabilities, or learning the processes that will carry you on. Put your personal growth and your art before making another "fun" box canyon with forerunner artifacts or covenant crates with a 3sk pistol.

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Just throwing the idea out there. No need to shoot me down. (Not you, Jean)
The problem with your idea is that it's an idea that has been around for an extremely long time, and has never gotten past that.

One of the biggest issues I've had with team work (at least in this early stage) is that it greatly limits my own creativity. Because you have to work together on something, it means that many of your own ideas will not see the light of day, which can be discouraging. While that process is required in the job world (You WILL have to work together), it simply isn't effective in fostering original content on an individual basis.

Dwood
August 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM
You have a point, but to do totally new content that isn't Halo is better than what we have going right now. However it was a random split-second idea. I still +1 your idea Jean, btw.

English Mobster
August 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM
@English: Care to share? Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the community if you don't tell us what you're working on. If you've got plans for something big and unique, you should let us in on it.
Of course.
I don't have a scanner nearby for the purpose of uploading the concepts I have, but it essentially is going to be a new IP, called Convulse, based in the not-too-distant future.
I don't QUITE have a year set up, but essentially the storyline goes like this:

A bankrupt North Korea forces their hand after Kim Il-sung's successor dies and tries to make a move with their nuclear program, launching a single nuclear missile at California. This missile fails mid-flight and explodes over Japan, the resulting fallout irradiates many Japanese water sources.
An outraged Japan calls upon the United Nations for help. The United States is first to respond, launching several bomber squadrons and getting the United States navy into position for a blockade.
China and North Korea see this as an act of war, and pressgang Russia and Iran into joining them. The members of NATO immediately respond with an alliance of their own.
Talks between the two sides result in a non-nuclear agreement: no nukes will be used. Although both sides agree to no nuclear weapons, both begin re-arming Cold War nuclear warheads and first response systems.
The levels themselves will be multiplayer levels, based around many different locations. For instance, I have the layout of a map set within a Chinese Guangzhou-class Airship.
As for weapons/vehicles, I was going for a futuristic theme, but not TOO futuristic. For example, the default gun is an Assault Rifle which has most of the features of modern-day rifles. However, by pressing secondary fire, players can utilize what is essentially a toned-down shotgun blast at the expense of using up more ammo (3 shots/clip compared to the normal 33 shots/clip) and the fact you can't use grenades with the shotgun ready.
One of the things I actually have a semi-finished model of is a VTOL aircraft (the Firefly, and yes, Bacon, I stole your name) which is a crossbreed between a Hornet and a Kestrel, armed with a few missiles and a light chaingun.

There'll be more details when I have enough done to make a thread about it, but that's the main basis right now.

Actually, I have an idea: As a community, we could at least ATTEMPT to work on a single project together. It will require a subforum of some sort, but we could come up with some new IP, then tell people to make some new guns, vehicles, bipeds, whatever to fit the IP. People post links to their Max files, then someone can pick up the Max file and get it ingame. Once it's ingame, people can make new maps using the community tags, all based in whatever the original IP is.

Actually, in hindsight, although that SOUNDS cool, it would require a lot of effort to work, and, frankly, it's impossible to get a community-wide mod team, where everyone makes what they want. Some of the things will be put ingame which don't fit the IP, and the fact that there won't be a single person who is dedicated enough to direct the thing and make all the maps himself will result in many unbalanced maps, or maps which plain don't fit the IP.

Warsaw
August 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
To tell you the truth, I wasn't talking about starting a community project in order to improve (although it's not a bad idea). The idea I'm trying to get across, specifically to individuals, is to try something new. Get out of what you're used to and attempt something you never have before. That's the only way you'll improve.

As for English Mobster not sharing his ideas for his own IP, why should he if he doesn't want to? It's his ideas, his project, and just because he mentions it doesn't mean he's entitled to inform the community of what it's about. I have an IP of my own I'm working on, but I don't intend to share it with Modacity for quite some time for simple fear of theft. It's way too frightening of a notion for me to give information out to the public, and having my idea stolen because I hold no copyright claim to it.

This. Yes this...I've got my own IP thing that's been going for 7 years, and is in polishing stages right now, with another one in creative the pipeline.

Also, some of us are plenty creative, but lack skills in digital media to actually form a project of our own (am trying to remedy this).

TheGhost
August 31st, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have no problem setting up a private forum and anything else needed by a team that wants to work on a project, but hardly any of these projects come to fruition. In order to achieve something, you need people who are motivated enough to get something started, and then actually dedicated enough to carry through to the end. The latter is way more difficult than the former, which is sadly why many projects crash and burn.

Limited
August 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Fuck teams. I've had nothing but shit with working in teams. Unless you are all 100% motivated to making a final product, theres no point. Its stressful, its hard work, people might not do their fair share, they might do stuff late, they might just be incredibly unorganized people.

If you guys want to take this serious, you need serious people who are dedicated to the cause.

Also, developing a new IP isnt something simple, just "an idea" doesnt cut it. You need a full working, thought out idea.

=sw=warlord
August 31st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I personaly would like to see a group of people who are based on this site working on crysis mod's, the hardware requirement is no longer as steep as it used to be and so many members here can run it.
I've recently started learning how to use the sandbox2 editor and have learned the raw basics and infact in the pipeline of setting up a mod i plan to make, some content of which has already been shown here.
So if anyone is up for tagging up with me then all means be my guest, the more people helping out the better the chances are of the mod comming to frutition because the workload would be spread out.
Im sorry if what i just said hijacked the thread at all but the whole thread was about getting more people to be more creative wasnt it?
If anyones interested PM me and il explain the mod in more details.

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Not lashing out at anyone in particular, but how many times does it need to be said? The problem and the solution lies in the individual.

I am at a loss as to why time and time again people suggest "Mod Teams!" even after members blatantly say why that won't help.

=sw=warlord
August 31st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Not lashing out at anyone in particular, but how many times does it need to be said? The problem and the solution lies in the individual.

I am at a loss as to why time and time again people suggest "Mod Teams!" even after members blatantly say why that won't help.
Not always but usualy if all people involved are motivated then yes it does help.
I don't see how it dosnt help, its alot like giving up smoking the more people involved helping you the more motivation you will have.
Look at it this way, would CMT be as far as they got with their mods if they went their separate ways and did all the tagging themselves individualy with no outside help?
I can personaly vouch that working on complex mods by yourself is a rather daunting task it happens to be why my Dalek mod took 2 years to complete way back in 06 because it was too much of a large task to take on and there wasnt enough motivation to get it done.
But with friends or members helping you, then the task is not as big making it easier plus you have help and support.
If going things alone was the perfect answer then why is it companies and studios exist?

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 07:01 PM
You're missing the point. Unless a team is working on a total conversion mod that bears absolutely no resemblance to the original game, then you are severely stifling your own creativity. In fact, even some total conversion modifications limit creativity simply due to engine limitations.

I'm not trying to get people to all join teams and work together, I'm trying to get them to break free of existing universes and create worlds of their own. The ability to work as a team is a great, and a vitally important asset especially when your job demands it. However, being able to have ideas of your own and having the freedom of creative expression is even more important in my book, as it allows you to truly imagine anything you want without limitation.

Chainsy
August 31st, 2009, 07:06 PM
I don't why you people think originality is truly original, it is just work inspired by other things after all. I agree with Snaf to a point, but after that point our opinions are completely different. I believe you should branch out of halo, but I don't believe you should quit your roots and ignore them. Halo is fun, and that is why a majority stay. What I believe you should do is make your way towards inspiration using the things you loved. Use the forerunner style or the weapons set up and expand of them. There is nothing wrong with recycling ideas, as they can lead to great and new things. I guess I will give you a storyline I have been rolling over in my mind:
I know this is not very realistic, but would still be interesting in the actual concept.
Set in futuristic South Western Asia (Middle East) the fight for oil in the area built up to escalated heights until a nuclear war broke out, keep reading, this is not your fallout fucking story, in fact it will have nothing to do with the nuclear part, it just sets the story. Anyways by now the us has become a totalitarian society, and government happens to fire 16 prototype nukes which happens to aim directly at the shore of the Persian gulf, but being prototypes and the rash decision by an incompetent leader, they are into effectively armed, and the bombs main blast fires DOWNWARD. These were fired onto oil rigs around the gulf in hopes to pulverize the oil lines which are currently occupied by the UN, who became rivals against the USA when it began its totalitarian take over. The bombs blast hits these already weak parts of the crust from drilling and smash deep into the oil reserves...Causing the tectonic plate to shift a immense 20 feet towards the southern ocean. This caused a earth quake of unseen proportions ripping cities to shreds. The huge gaping hole now separating a section of the middle east from the rest of the world opened up into an unknown layer of oil lying directly underneath the diminishing pool. Being there were no openings, the pressure was immense on these areas, and just like a cork screw off a wine bottle the oil flooded out of these gaping holes. Being the given destruction taking place, the flash flood of oil ignites, literally burning the now huge cities surrounding the gulf to a crisp. It spreads out across the water around the small chunk creating a literal sea of burning oil separating one of the largest cities in the area from the main war with the spreading oil leaving behind a inner wasteland ring of of abandoned cities. Being that the chunk of the continent was now slowing sinking down on the mantle into an ocean trench, all eyes turned to evacuating the citizens. Obviously air support could only do so much, but it would not be nearly effective enough at all and would take months, maybe even years to get these people off, being the separation of the chunk of tectonic plate was not natural, it was doing a sliding effect on exist crust at a speed of 5 mph, it would be underwater by 5 months. The citizens, only aware of the nukes hitting, and being cut off from any outside news, only saw the men in bio hazard suits abducting people and siphoning out oil. In a Nigeria esc. move, the citizens quickly broke into civil war aginst themselves, and a war against the strange men in biohazzard suits. A large and powerful mob which ran its head qaurters in this area quickly seized control, using the delusion of these men stealing oil to unite citizens to attack and steal the oil back, in hopes to profit from the huge pools of oil billowing out. The mobster, being cut off from actaul large supplies of weapons turned to what was the only thing they had: oil. The mobster use controlled arson to stop the advancement and movement of the biohazard men (led by the UN, the Usa still struggling violenty and attack) in hopes to win the imaignary war against them. You come in as a 25 year old college student sucked into this, and with the grand illusion of these people attacking your home and stealing your oil, quickly rise in the ranks of the mob and help set up the largest known case of controlled arson ever recorded to win the war. At the final fire site, you are captured and brought by the biohazzards to a ship that flies directly out across the sea. Here is where your whole beliefs will be shattered as you see the sea of fire and are explained to of the current situation. No longer delusioned, you and an old group of mobsters must head back and fight fire with fire. Obviously if you read this all, you would udnerstand the player would not be aware of the preceding events, just like all the citizens. :realsmug:

Warsaw
August 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Fuck teams. I've had nothing but shit with working in teams. Unless you are all 100% motivated to making a final product, theres no point. Its stressful, its hard work, people might not do their fair share, they might do stuff late, they might just be incredibly unorganized people.

If you guys want to take this serious, you need serious people who are dedicated to the cause.

Also, developing a new IP isnt something simple, just "an idea" doesnt cut it. You need a full working, thought out idea.

After 7 years, I think one would have something completely thought out, including engine limitations, desired gameplay mechanics, etc :downs:. The ones that create true IP are not to be confused with types that chime in and go "hai guise, I have a gr8 idea that I want to see somebody do!" without giving consideration to anything that really needs consideration.

I agree with Jean-Luc. Converting Halo 2 and 3 content to CE is dull and boring, and CMTs stuff isn't breaking out into anything fresh either (no matter how good or bad some of it looks). It's always "Hey, here's this idea for a map taking place in <insert generic fan-made Halo backstory here>" or "look guys, modern warfare!" or "hurf durf WWII" or "resurrecting old-ass game on new engine! And doing it multiplayer-only to boot!" (Yes, campaigns are much harder to do, but multiplayer mechanics have remained the same for eons and you can only rehash the same thing with a different face so many times before it gets old...this goes for professional games too, which is why I don't play on-line too much). And then you have log-mods, or other mods of the same variety.

One point I do disagree on is that we need to move away from the Blam! engine. Yes, it's old. Yes, it has some severe limitations by current engine standards. However, it's what a lot of people here know how to work, and with the new OpenSauce SDK, there is more potential than ever. If you're looking to get into the gaming industry, then yes, you probably should expand your skills into more advanced and unfamiliar engines, but those that are looking to get into the industry have probably already done that. The rest are here just as a hobby.

e: Chains, I think what Jean-Luc is getting at is that people just seem to be trying to reincarnate the same things over and over, instead of actually, you know, getting inspired by something and making something new from it with their own quirks and twists.
[/babble]

Jean-Luc
August 31st, 2009, 07:17 PM
I don't why you people think originality is truly original, it is just work inspired by other things after all. I agree with Snaf to a point, but after that point our opinions are completely different. I believe you should branch out of halo, but I don't believe you should quit your roots and ignore them. Halo is fun, and that is why a majority stay. What I believe you should do is make your way towards inspiration using the things you loved. Use the forerunner style or the weapons set up and expand of them. There is nothing wrong with recycling ideas, as they can lead to great and new things.
While this is completely correct, the problem, especially on Modacity, is that we generally don't use Halo as inspiration like you suggest, we use Halo as an instruction guide.

My reason behind telling people to create "original" content is in order to remove the constraints of video games behind. You're right though; We shouldn't ignore the roots that have brought us to where we are now. However, we shouldn't hold to them as strictly as we do.

A good quote by Jim Jarmusch here about originality:

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic.

Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to."

Warsaw
August 31st, 2009, 07:21 PM
Heh, nicely put...less convoluted than the way I said it. :lol:

Rob Oplawar
September 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Reply spree go

it holds absolutely no worth in the real world, especially when it comes to portfolio work.
Not necessarily true; often the concept artist who invents a weapon is different than the person who models it. You're right, the ability to create a detailed, good looking model of something that's already been designed is only part of the desired skill set, but it's by no means a worthless skill, and it pays to develop it,

Hrm. This. Let's make a new shooter with Blam! 1.
It was called... wait, fuck, what was WOL's mod called? Wasn't it "Evolution" or something? Anyways, he moved on to Unreal like so many others.

Alternatively, I'm all for writing our own engine and game, we have the programming background, graphics library experience, and general knowledge of mathematical topics to get the job done
*takes big breath as though to launch into a big announcement, then pauses*
In due time.

a community project
Project Shockwave is coming

We create Community Teams. Then we divide the teams into their respective sections. (3d//sound//code//art//writer, 1 leader for each respective section, who reports to whomever)
Interesting idea. Project Shockwave can take suggestions.

This community? Accomplishing something together? xD

No. The point is that people here need to get away from the halo universe, and especially developing for Halo CE because everything about it and its process is horribly outdated.
:saddowns:

The point is that even if it is FUN, you are not growing in your capabilities, or learning the processes that will carry you on. Put your personal growth and your art before making another "fun" box canyon with forerunner artifacts or covenant crates with a 3sk pistol.
Not that I don't respect your experience, but I have to disagree with you. True, the ability to use outdated tools is not itself a valuable skill, but despite its age, the old tools and techniques themselves still contain a lot of relevant technology. Games continually grow more complex, but the underlying technologies don't often disappear completely; they simply expand.
You are shooting yourself in the foot to an extent by precluding yourself from using the latest and greatest, but as I said before, it's not entirely wasted effort.
Besides, my contention is that a videogame does not need to run a super-high-tech-top-of-the-line game engine to be fun. Case in point: Starcraft- I still play that regularly. Just because it's old doesn't make it worthless.
Plus, with simpler technologies, it is sometimes possible to use the limitations to expedite development- less work to do, in a sense. You may or may not regard this as a good thing, but in my opinion, the player experience is what counts, not how you get there. Sometimes you need the highest-end graphics to get the immersion you want, but then sometimes you just need good screenwriting and good voice actors.

One of the biggest issues I've had with team work (at least in this early stage) is that it greatly limits my own creativity. Because you have to work together on something, it means that many of your own ideas will not see the light of day, which can be discouraging. While that process is required in the job world (You WILL have to work together), it simply isn't effective in fostering original content on an individual basis.
Project Shockwave aims to mitigate this.

hardly any of these projects come to fruition. In order to achieve something, you need people who are motivated enough to get something started, and then actually dedicated enough to carry through to the end. The latter is way more difficult than the former, which is sadly why many projects crash and burn.
BCE is not dead yet, and I am absolutely committed to Project Shockwave, whether or not anybody else is. Hopefully all it will need is one person dedicated enough to keep the project moving.

Fuck teams. I've had nothing but shit with working in teams.
Strictly speaking, Project Shockwave won't involve teams, although those who want to may adopt such a mindset in the interest of collaboration.

A bit of clarification: I've mentioned Project Shockwave a lot here, but it has not yet been officially announced. When I am ready, it will be announced on Modacity and other sites to great fanfare, with screenshots and videos and beta keys galore. [/teaser]

blind
September 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
100% legit and serious not trolling.
why do you care so much, its a video game(s)

Cagerrin
September 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
I remember getting an "invite" or something to Project Shockwave, but didn't hear anything after that.

Also your allusion to it not being Blam! interests me.

Warsaw
September 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
+rep do whoever can tell me the inspiration for Halo's engine name (no, not you Pyong if you read this).

Also, Project Shockwave...was that ever mentioned before this thread?

Cagerrin
September 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM
+rep do whoever can tell me the inspiration for Halo's engine name (no, not you Pyong if you read this).

Also, Project Shockwave...was that ever mentioned before this thread?
It was originally called Monkey Nuts, but Jason Jones couldn't bring himself to tell his mother that he was working on something called that?

Or am I totally off here?

klange
September 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
It was originally called Monkey Nuts, but Jason Jones couldn't bring himself to tell his mother that he was working on something called that?

Or am I totally off here?
That was the working title for Halo, then after that came Blam! (which was solely a working title at the time), and then came Halo and Blam! was left as more of a codename than anything else.

Warsaw
September 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I said inspiration for the name, not what it was conceived for.

It was the title of a Manga from 1995-1996 (though with an "e" before the ! because it's Japanese) set in an artificial construct of epic proportions and plenty of mystery. Tsutomu Nihei, the guy who authored it, also drew the Sgt. Johnson segment in the Halo graphic novel.

e: must spread rep :saddowns:. Was gonna give an A for effort.

Jean-Luc
September 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Right guys, can we get back on topic here?

sdavis117
September 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM
I said inspiration for the name, not what it was conceived for.

It was the title of a Manga from 1995-1996 (though with an "e" before the ! because it's Japanese) set in an artificial construct of epic proportions and plenty of mystery. Tsutomu Nihei, the guy who authored it, also drew the Sgt. Johnson segment in the Halo graphic novel.

e: must spread rep :saddowns:. Was gonna give an A for effort.

I thought that the original inspiration for the title was all of the car crashes that happened outside of Bungie when they were in Chicago. After the car crashes there would be silence, and then a Bungie employee would yell "Blam!".

Edit: Also, this thread is turning into a "post your concepts" thread.

Con
September 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to enjoy Halo CE while it lasts. There's more to staying in the Halo community than just being in a artistic comfort zone. Don't get me wrong; I want to work on my own things, but there's a reason I still do Halo stuff.

Warsaw
September 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM
Because Bungie/MGS screwed up Halo 2 and 3 and you hope that community-made stuff can possibly rectify that some how?

:haw:

TeeKup
September 2nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
I don't think even we can rectify the mistakes of Halo 3.

Limited
September 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
:words: *blatant advertising for Project Shockwave* :words:
What technology you use isnt the matter. Although moving to a newer engineer that has new rendering techniques and what not is a good idea, meaning you can show case your work in a better and improved way. The issue is ideas. They just arent custom, maps okay yeah there are custom plans, but alot of them are slightly based off original maps. Or they just dont contain any new gameplay, its just a housing for the regular stuff.

n00b1n8R
September 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
I don't think even we can rectify the mistakes of Halo 3.
What mistakes?
All I've seen is a few kiddies posting shit on bungie.net (a site known for /b/-grade intelligence)

Jean-Luc
September 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Alright, things aren't staying on topic so I'm going to close this one down. I don't think there is much more that needs to be said anyway.