PDA

View Full Version : Games keep freezing (HELP!)

FreedomFighter7
September 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Lately, within the last few weeks every game I play freezes up every few minutes. I can fix this with a ctrl alt delete usually, but sometimes I have to restart the computer entirely. I don't know why this is happening. I'm running windows vista, with 2 gigs of, at least a hundred gigs left of free space, a Nvidia Ge force 8600 GT, and a 1.8 Ghz Processor. I've had this computer for over a year, bought brand new, and its only recently started doing this.

Please HELP me!!

Aerowyn
September 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
It could be that you have too many things running in the background when you run your game.

Sure you have a lot of ram, but you need to consider that running torrents and having a lot of applications running is going to chew up some of your performance.

Or you could try checking the settings of your game, maybe you just need to adjust them or something.

ICEE
September 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
What games are you running?

Wakeboy1337
September 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Shouldn't this be in Tech Talk?

Are you on Vista 64 or 32?

And If you're on 64bit, are your videocard drivers 64 bit or 32?

FreedomFighter7
September 3rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
I don't know if my OS is 32, or 64 bit, I tried checking once but it was different every time I checked. I tried installing windows XP but it wouldn't let me, it said it was 64 bit or something I don't really remember.

As for the video cards bit, I don't know that either or how to find it out.

I think this all started after my cousin installed some stuff on here to make it run better (3rd party defrag, system registry cleaner, file cleaner, ad aware). I want to uninstall ad aware because I think that might be the problem, but I don't want to download the installer since I don't have the file, or the time for that.

EDIT: I uninstalled ad aware, and now cod4 keeps CRASHING! I tried almost every trick in this URL (http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board/message?board.id=software&message.id=11355) and it doesn't help.

Good_Apollo
September 3rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Umm...your system is overheating?

It's over 95 degrees here and I can't play any games because mine overheats in minutes (depending on the game though) even with 3 fans it's not enough since I don't have AC in the house.

FreedomFighter7
September 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. In my room it gets REALLY hot, and the vid card gets up there in temperature normally. The screen will just sieze up, and switch between two frames alternating colors, like red and blue or black and white. I'll hit ctrl alt delete and that will usually fix it.

I have a question, is liquid cooling safe? I had a teacher who mentioned his fear that if he got liquid cooling he might turn it on one morning, and the coolant will have leaked, causing electrocution. I really don't want to spend money on this computer though. It has so many problems. Its a fucking money pit.

Xetsuei
September 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have a question, is liquid cooling safe? I had a teacher who mentioned his fear that if he got liquid cooling he might turn it on one morning, and the coolant will have leaked, causing electrocution. I really don't want to spend money on this computer though. It has so many problems. Its a fucking money pit.

If you're not a retard and install it right then yes, it is safe. You teacher is an idiot imho. There's nothing to fear if you install everything right and make sure everything is secured/clamped in good. Liquid cooling is much better than air cooling, and a good liquid cooling setup will keep your PC at ambient temperatures nearly all of the time.

Bodzilla
September 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
moved to Tech for you.

=sw=warlord
September 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM
If you're not a retard and install it right then yes, it is safe. You teacher is an idiot imho. There's nothing to fear if you install everything right and make sure everything is secured/clamped in good. Liquid cooling is much better than air cooling, and a good liquid cooling setup will keep your PC at ambient temperatures nearly all of the time.
How ever, long use of liquid cooling systems can require replacement of coolant piping due to water being a abrasive material.
This is shown by cooling pipes slowly gaining a whiteish frost look after extended periods of time.
Put putting that out there.

FreedomFighter7
September 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I just used a re imaging program that came with my computer, and reinstalled Halo. When I start it up I get a message that says: "A problem occurred initializing direct draw. Hardware acceleration may be disabled, please run dxdiag."

I've run dxdiag, and there is not a button or function that will allow me to test direct draw, or any of its features. I remember other operating systems allowing you to do this (WXP).

I did a dump of the dxdiag info for you guys: "------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/6/2009, 20:41:59
Machine name: JAKE-PC
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
System Model: KJ389AA-ABA SR5433WM
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 786MB used, 3541MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (Standard display types)
Chip type: NVIDIA
DAC type: 8 bit
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_043910DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: n/a
Dedicated Memory: n/a
Shared Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (1Hz)
Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
Driver Name: vga
Driver Version: 6.00.6001.18000 (English)
DDI Version: unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 1/20/2008 20:24:50, 10752 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4742-11CF-3E35-48330EC2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0402
SubSys ID: 0x043910DE
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Not Available"

Has anyone else had this problem? The game was working before I re imaged the computer, now it doesn't work and Google is no help!

Xetsuei
September 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
How ever, long use of liquid cooling systems can require replacement of coolant piping due to water being a abrasive material.
This is shown by cooling pipes slowly gaining a whiteish frost look after extended periods of time.
Put putting that out there.

1)You hardly ever use actual water with liquid cooling systems.
2)I don't know anyone that has a liquid cooling system that has had that happen, and they've had them for a really long time.
3)I've honestly never heard of that problem, where did you hear of it? And it's "tubes" not "pipes".

=sw=warlord
September 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM
1)You hardly ever use actual water with liquid cooling systems.
2)I don't know anyone that has a liquid cooling system that has had that happen, and they've had them for a really long time.
3)I've honestly never heard of that problem, where did you hear of it? And it's "tubes" not "pipes".
I seem to remember you can get distilled water for use in liquid cooling systems which help with leaking.
so sometimes water is used just not your average H2O due to the electrolytic qualities of the other chemicals mixed with it.
When i was at college working on my qualifications we had to work on a rig for one of your subjects was instrumentation.
We were shown different tubing used in different places where water had been used and after a while had caused a whitening effect on the inside due to water being abbrasive.
I didn't "hear about it" anywhere, i was learning about this stuff in college doing a level 3 course for a advanced diploma.
I've still got my note book arround here somewhere if i find it il PM you the details.
Next time you look at a liquid cooled system or are doing maintenance have a look at what the tubing looks like once its all empty, you'l notice the inside will seem more rough than the outside.
On the note of cooling.
If you want the ultimate cooling go for this.
http://www.aggieads.com/Gear/Desktop/Hardcore%20Computer%20With%20Oil%20Submersion%20Co oling/Hardcore-Computer-With-Oil-Submersion-Cooling.jpg

Xetsuei
September 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I seem to remember you can get distilled water for use in liquid cooling systems which help with leaking.
so sometimes water is used just not your average H2O due to the electrolytic qualities of the other chemicals mixed with it.
When i was at college working on my qualifications we had to work on a rig for one of your subjects was instrumentation.
We were shown different tubing used in different places where water had been used and after a while had caused a whitening effect on the inside due to water being abbrasive.
I didn't "hear about it" anywhere, i was learning about this stuff in college doing a level 3 course for a advanced diploma.
I've still got my note book arround here somewhere if i find it il PM you the details.
Next time you look at a liquid cooled system or are doing maintenance have a look at what the tubing looks like once its all empty, you'l notice the inside will seem more rough than the outside.
On the note of cooling.
If you want the ultimate cooling go for this.

So this tubing and liquid is the exact same they use in liquid cooling systems? :downs:

=sw=warlord
September 7th, 2009, 01:24 PM
So this tubing and liquid is the exact same they use in liquid cooling systems? :downs:
Not alway's but then your taking what im saying completely out of context.
Something you seem to be rather good at i must say.
Your forgeting something pretty much every liquid is abrassive in one way or another so your going to be the marking which ever liquid you use just depends on how long you use it for.