PDA

View Full Version : BASIC

Wakeboy1337
September 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Alright so my Girlfriend's dad was telling me about "back in the day" when he would be working with code called "BASIC" and he even made himself a hangman game with it.:neckbeard: He was wondering if you could do this in microsoft virtual pc or if there was another emulator you could use to run BASIC.

Wow. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I caught most of what he said but some of it I didn't understand and he lost me. Hopfully there are some oldfags here who know what I'm trying to explain.:smith:

PlasbianX
September 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Try VisualBASIC? Think that's what we learned in school.

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Im pretty sure you are looking for Qbasic

korori
September 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I think he really is talking about BASIC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

If so you can use either VMWare/Virtual PC. Since its basically DOS Base just find some floppy images. Mount it. Install it.

Though really I don't see the point. Since BASIC is extremely out dated. You could modify the code and launch it within a bat file. Since its kinda close. Though this is for first/ second generation.

Now if if he learned third generation. Then Visual Basic 6 is what he learned. Now he could just download Visual Basic 2008 Express.
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/Default.aspx

Korori

klange
September 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Take it from an experienced hacker (in the original sense of the term): DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEARN OR USE BASIC. PERIOD.

Sure, it's easy to learn, but it will scar you forever.

Limited
September 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Isnt that the one where you have to punch the code into a piece of card and scan it in? Or was that another, older type.

klange
September 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Isnt that the one where you have to punch the code into a piece of card and scan it in? Or was that another, older type.
Punch cards are an input method. Any significantly ancient language could have used them.

NullZero
September 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Why would BASIC scar you?

korori
September 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
BASIC can scar you because once you learn a low level (easy language). Most people just stick with the easy language and not bother learning another. Or it would over whelm them and confuse them because the logic is different. I had that experience when I swapped from VB 2003 to C# 2008. But once you get your logic straight its not that bad. Don't get me wrong VB is great. Specially if you using it over a domain. You can use vbs script to create logs, map drive, reg edits , and many other things. Other wise I recommend skip it and learn c# or C++. It may be hard at first but it worth the effort.

Korori

Llama Juice
September 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I learned BASIC in Highschool.

It was a prerequisite to C++ and Java

*shrug* It was fun.

TheGhost
September 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Why would BASIC scar you?

I think he's referring to its procedural nature, as opposed to modern object-oriented and functional programming languages.

Also it's not very robust and has zero scalability.