PDA

View Full Version : Dead tutorial links

Dwood
September 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
All: wiki.fpsgamers links are broken on TheGhost's tutorial page. I suggest we remove them if we cannot recover the resources

p0lar_bear
September 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
There's an archive of recovered fpswiki articles on halomaps. I know where you're coming from, though, maybe ghost should redirect the links to that archive.

Personally, I'd like to restore those to our wiki, if and when we ever get it running. Absolutely zero promises on it.

jcap
September 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it would be great if we could have community involvement in building an entire tutorial wiki. It would take work to look for all of the missing tutorials, though. Any PDFs would have to have all the text copied and reformatted for the wiki, as well as the pictures being saved and re-uploaded.

If done, it would be awesome. It would even have full text search.

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20060104145000/http://www.fpsgamers.se/
Most of hte tutorials there work. There are a few that don't load however.

English Mobster
September 8th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I think the entire tutorial index should be overhauled. There are quite a few tutorials which are nowhere to be found on the site, and there are some which are outdated and there are far more efficient ways to do it.

TheGhost
September 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Which are great arguments for a Wiki, but we tried that once and it didn't work so well.

Dwood
October 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Which are great arguments for a Wiki, but we tried that once and it didn't work so well.

I know this is like a whole month ago, (forgot about this thread completely) but why don't we try it and see what happens? Or create the option for people to add tutorials to the list, which then get reviewed and then posted? I imagine it would be similar the Halo CE Releases thread, they have to be approved before the threads are posted, except it's just 1 page where a couple of people (not limited to the site admins) just update to it on their off time?

TheGhost
October 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'll set up another Wiki and let you know.

Dwood
October 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'll set up another Wiki and let you know.

Awesome, thx. I'll be waitin' :neckbeard:

English Mobster
October 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I think there should be an entire new category on the forums dedicated just TO tutorials. Make it so new posts have to be approved for the entire section.
Essentially the entire "Tutorials" sub-forum of The Gallery, but with better organization, basically the tutorial resource realized and expanded upon in forum form.
"Tutorials"
-> Modeling
-> Bitmap Creation
-> Photography
-> Halo CE
-> Unreal
-> Source

Alternatively, just add a "Tutorials" sub-forum to each current section, which, in hindsight, might actually be a better idea.
Each tutorial forum will act the same as the current Tutorial Resource, with not only new tutorials being made, but great tutorials of the past linked to/transcribed into the thread itself (think of Articles Funny Random, the article is linked to and then quoted for convenience).
It would require a shitton of effort from the mods to locate every tutorial thread floating around the CE section and move it into the new section, but we can probably get a great Tutorial Resource up and running.