PDA

View Full Version : Quick RAM Question

Inferno
September 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have 4 sticks of ram here in front of me.

I have 2 of RAM-A
And 2 of RAM-B

RAM-A and RAM-B are different types and have different amounts of memory.

If I where to put all 4 sticks in would it work since they are in pairs? Or do all 4 sticks have to be exactly the same?

mech
September 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
If they're all the same DDR version, then yes; it'll work correctly.

Cojafoji
September 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
if they're the same dimm, they'll operate at the speed of the slowest ram.

Timo
September 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I think they'll all run at the lowest ram's speed, though.

e:f,b.

Cojafoji
September 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I think they'll all run at the lowest ram's speed, though.

e:f,b.
STP :iamafag:

Phopojijo
September 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
You COULD have some issues with the RAM bickering... but chances are not. -- If you get a suddon burst of bluescreens though you know what's wrong... probably solvable by hand-tweaking the BIOS settings to something both can agree upon though.

Inferno
September 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Well one set of ram is the small thin ones. DDR2 I think. The other is the larger fat ones which are DDR.

Cojafoji
September 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Well one set of ram is the small thin ones. DDR2 I think. The other is the larger fat ones which are DDR.
never mix ddr with ddr2.

Cortexian
September 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
DDR2 memory won't actually fit properly in DDR slots anyways. And if you force it you'll just break the motherboard, I leaned that the hard way back when I was learning about PC stuff... :saddowns:

BobtheGreatII
September 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I have two different types of RAM in my computer set up in an ABAB type fashion like my motherboard said. Seems to be working great. 4 gigs runs fine.

=sw=warlord
September 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM
DDR2 memory won't actually fit properly in DDR slots anyways. And if you force it you'll just break the motherboard, I leaned that the hard way back when I was learning about PC stuff... :saddowns:
That's where side cutters come in, didnt you know those gold strips are a form of mesuring guide for cutting the extra tab off?:downs:
I troll i troll,I hope no one ever tries that...:suicide:

Inferno
September 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Ah well I thought the smaller ones are DDR2. It seems all 4 are DDR2 but one set is 512 and the other is 1gb. So if all 4 run at the lowest speed then it will still be 2gb.

Cortexian
September 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yea, just put them in so you've got 1.5 gigs in each DIMM set.

Ex: put them in like:
1GB 512MB 1GB 512MB