PDA

View Full Version : Music Videos For Youtube

ThePlague
September 9th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Is it illegal to make a music video for someone's song, (EX: My Children My Bride - Headshot) without profiting from it in any way (except for being a good video maker, recognition) and posting it on Youtube.

My friend says it's illegal to, but I say otherwise.

Rook
September 9th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Uhh just say in the descrip it's fan made?

kid908
September 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Is it illegal to make a music video for someone's song, (EX: My Children My Bride - Headshot) without profiting from it in any way (except for being a good video maker, recognition) and posting it on Youtube.

My friend says it's illegal to, but I say otherwise.

Fair use clause. Educational purpose that does not result in profit as long as the credits are accurate, there's more to it, but from what I see from your post, that section fits. Also if it's a song which is copyrighted in a different country and not in the USA, it's perfectly legal since they have no jurisdiction here; that's why those "pirated theater" movies are usually streamed through korean, russian or chinese websites, they technically have no jurisdiction in those country and those site owners aren't obligated to take them down.

Note: I'm making a generalization from memery here, you might want to go through copyright laws and the fair use clause to make sure.

Limited
September 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Fair use clause. Educational purpose that does not result in profit as long as the credits are accurate, there's more to it, but from what I see from your post, that section fits. Also if it's a song which is copyrighted in a different country and not in the USA, it's perfectly legal since they have no jurisdiction here; that's why those "pirated theater" movies are usually streamed through korean, russian or chinese websites, they technically have no jurisdiction in those country and those site owners aren't obligated to take them down.

Note: I'm making a generalization from memery here, you might want to go through copyright laws and the fair use clause to make sure.
:fail:, WIPO.

You can make a music video, just make sure you put in the description that it is fan made and you dont hold the copyright for the song.