PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 9

Bhamid
September 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Are there any realistic improvements? Is it worth upgrading to? I hate the new theme btw >>

flibitijibibo
September 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I can understand what you mean with the new theme. I think it's more fitting IMO, not just with Apple's recent color scheme, but it certainly fits in more with Aero glass. There are a couple of little graphic changes, like the playlist icons, but that's one of those things that you forget about a week later.

New feature that I loved the second it popped up: Home Sharing! Now you can distribute media through home networks, as long as they have the authorization to do so (Apple ID). You can share between up to 5 computers/accounts. Certainly better if the rest of your household has XP/knows nothing of the public folder.

Another feature that I'm looking into: iTunes U. It looks like it's a part of the store that has books and lessons from assorted universities (Stanford iPhone App Programming caught my attention). Might be interesting on a boring day.

Other than that, it seems to be the same iTunes. Some of the sections of iTunes opened up much faster (like the fucking iPod tab, finally), so I suppose optimization was on their checklist, too, so if that's a concern, go get it.

legionaire45
September 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
iTunes store and some of the stuff is a lot faster. They've added some new ways to get more money off of you as well. New theme is ok looking. You can automatically sync your music to other computers over a network now.

Cojafoji
September 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
still no mother fucking support for xp 64 bit. i'm sick and fucking tired of modding their already shitty product to fit my needs.

E* If another person suggests the vista 64 package, i will rip out their entire endocrine system.

legionaire45
September 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
The Vista 64 bit package of the last version of iTunes was really fucking broken. It wouldn't play nice with Amazon MP3's downloader, Gtalk's music identifying status thing or xfire plus.

I'm guessing it hasn't changed much, although I haven't tried it. I'm using the 32 bit version and it's fine.

king_nothing_
September 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
So is the 64-bit version of iTunes not supposed to actually run in 64-bit mode, or what? I downloaded the 64-bit version, yet when I check Task Manager, *32 shows up after the iTunes process. I completely uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it, and still got the same thing. If that's how it's intended to be, that's fucking stupid. When I download an x64 version of something, I expect it to run in 64-bit mode.

Amit
September 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I love the new iTunes! The new interface theme is somewhat refreshing and not the boring silver it has as ways been. I like some of the new features like the Home Sharing option. What I love most of all about iTunes 9 is the performance improvements. It's ridiculous how well it runs now, even the iTunes store isn't the slow piece of shit it usually is.

TheGhost
September 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM
It's great and much snappier than iTunes 8

Good_Apollo
September 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
What new look? I just updated from 8 and it looks the same?

Atty
September 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
It's great and much snappier than iTunes 8This.

Enjoying it, runs well on my Snow Leopard.

sdavis117
September 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Store looks different.

Also, I don't know whether of not I like this ItunesU. I found one video that I thought would teach me C#, but turns out if was just an old guy sitting at a desk pretty much advertising his Uni. No new knowledge from that.

cheezdue
September 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
It's to damn bright.

BobtheGreatII
September 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Store looks different.

Oh wait, I've seen this before.

It's the Zune Marketplace. :downs:

http://img.hexus.net/v2/lifestyle/news/apple/itunes-9.jpg
http://www.randomprocess.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/zune/zune_marketplace.jpg

Phopojijo
September 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah I don't like Apple much but -- there's not exactly many ways to do a store...

Besides -- there's no shame in using what works provided you don't break any patents (and frankly even if you do, many patents are bullshit anyway)

king_nothing_
September 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
So is the 64-bit version of iTunes not supposed to actually run in 64-bit mode, or what? I downloaded the 64-bit version, yet when I check Task Manager, *32 shows up after the iTunes process. I completely uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it, and still got the same thing. If that's how it's intended to be, that's fucking stupid. When I download an x64 version of something, I expect it to run in 64-bit mode.
Any comments on this? Does anyone here actually have it running in 64-bit mode?

Cojafoji
September 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Any comments on this? Does anyone here actually have it running in 64-bit mode?
nope.

Phopojijo
September 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Nope, it's 32-bit...

It's probably just a few services inside iTunes were fixed for 64-bit Windows... not actually 64-bit optimized itself.

Not that Apple really has ever been good on the programming side of things anyway...

ODX
September 12th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Not really liking the way you see songs on the iTunes store when you look at specific artists and their albums. Too bland, but otherwise it's very good.

Running just fine on mah..Windows XP as well :D

jcap
September 12th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Oh wait, I've seen this before.

It's the Zune Marketplace. :downs:

http://img.hexus.net/v2/lifestyle/news/apple/itunes-9.jpg
http://www.randomprocess.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/zune/zune_marketplace.jpg
I thought the exact same thing. They rip off Zune with the iPods, then they go to the software. Whatever, iTunes is still a steaming pile of shit.

The Zune software is so much more polished in its two versions than iTunes has been in its past 9. Yes, I understand that iTunes has 9 versions because it has been out for 9 years now, but how much has changed in the past 3 versions?

Oh right, they break syncing with the Palm Pre! Of course, can't forget that feature.

Bhamid
September 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I thought Apple were going to allow other devices to sync with iTunes again?

Phopojijo
September 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Apple never wanted anything else to sync with iTunes...

Palm Pre decided to sync with it, completely taking all support responsibilities...

Apple broke it... and not in any accidental way... they kick off anything that doesn't register as an iPod -- as Palm proved by changing their USB ID to an iPod and it all magically worked again.

Mind you in doing that, Palm broke some rules with the USB conglomerate... but still... Microsoft decided to kick Firefox off of Windows? Imagine the hell that would break loose.

Bhamid
September 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Apparently the new Samsung rival to the Zune HD will have iTunes syncing support.

legionaire45
September 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
At this point, the only reason I'm still using iTunes is because my family bought music off of it for years and I'm stuck with the DRM. I don't have the money to free it from the DRM and even if I do, the files are still going to be in .m4a.

jcap
September 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM
What happened to the DRM-stripping/cracking programs there used to be? I used JHymn way back, but it stopped working since version 6.

Heathen
September 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Until they make an iTunes that doesn't run like a paraplegic in windows, I ain't downloadin.

Cojafoji
September 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Apparently the new Samsung rival to the Zune HD will have iTunes syncing support.
Something tells me that'll end up like the Palm Pre.

Amit
September 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Until they make an iTunes that doesn't run like a paraplegic in windows, I ain't downloadin.

Which is this release.

Heathen
September 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Hm...then I shall look into it.
Also, I just read up, I wont need to wait for Movement to come to PC!

Heathen
September 13th, 2009, 01:37 AM
oi, where is the movement-esque part??

Phopojijo
September 13th, 2009, 09:21 AM
At this point, the only reason I'm still using iTunes is because my family bought music off of it for years and I'm stuck with the DRM. I don't have the money to free it from the DRM and even if I do, the files are still going to be in .m4a.Burn the music to a CD, then rip the CD as DRM-Free MP3s. If you have a lot -- CD-RW.

Problem solved.

Futzy
September 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I've tried installing this on three computers and it won't work. Vista and XP.
My sister wants to use it to download some songs with money she has left over with an old card, but the market place isn't working on her version for some reason. 9 doesn't access the market place either. Installed 9 on my moms comp, installed successfully, but it errors after a few seconds of running. Won't even install on my vista.

I will never understand why people use itunes.

Bhamid
September 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Because its the only thing which iPods work with?

Limited
September 14th, 2009, 10:34 PM
'Bout time we can easily organise our app icons.

I heard you need 3.0.1 firmware for this, is that true? I'm currently on JB 3.0

Heathen
September 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I cant find that limited, where did you find the app thing...

Limited
September 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I cant find that limited, where did you find the app thing...
I cant seem to find it, and it might just be for iPhones. It should be under apps tab though.

Heathen
September 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
:/ nope....

Limited
September 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
:/ nope....
Is your iPhone 3.1?

Heathen
September 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Mh-noooope :/

And it wont be.

Alright, nevermind.

Wakeboy1337
September 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
To organize apps it must be 3.1 and no Five icon Dock or Five Column Spring bored installed.

Waiting for 3.1 jb for ipod 2nd gen on Windows :/

Heathen
September 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
laaaame.

Wakeboy1337
September 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Indeed.

Dwood
September 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I installed, now iTunes cant find half my songs...

I will +rep if someone will tell me a good music program that doesnt hate Windows users.

BobtheGreatII
September 17th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I will +rep if someone will tell me a good music program that doesnt hate Windows users.

Zune Software 4.0.

Go now.

Great improvements. Organized and fast. And Smart DJ and Quick Pins are a lot of fun!

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/software/download/default.htm

Dwood
September 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
It has to work with the iPod.

BobtheGreatII
September 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
It has to work with the iPod.

Isn't iTunes the only thing that generally syncs well with an iPod? I mean, There are some 3rd party programs, I know my dad uses one... but I never saw any that were good... : /

Limited
September 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
To organize apps it must be 3.1 and no Five icon Dock or Five Column Spring bored installed.

Waiting for 3.1 jb for ipod 2nd gen on Windows :/
Here here! Waiting myself too, I cant live without themes and other app addons.

Wakeboy1337
September 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Here here! Waiting myself too, I cant live without themes and other app addons.

I generally don't use themes. I'll download them but I get sick of them after about a day. I do use winterboard to change a few things like the incoming mail sound and I changed "slide to unlock" to "press to unlock".

Edit: When I first saw "Here here!" I thought you meant a jailbreak was available. :-/

Limited
September 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I generally don't use themes. I'll download them but I get sick of them after about a day. I do use winterboard to change a few things like the incoming mail sound and I changed "slide to unlock" to "press to unlock".

Edit: When I first saw "Here here!" I thought you meant a jailbreak was available. :-/
Well the theme I have isnt fancy, I just made my own dock design because I hate the weird gray/black like metal weird shit at the bottom. I also edited the top and gave it a new background.

In case you wanted to see my theme :)
(http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2231/img0007wp.png)
Things like LiveClock and LiveWeather, NoRotation are just so useful to me, along with the percentage of how much battery is left. Its the small things that really add up in my opinion.

Amit
September 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Uh, yeah. iTunes. You obviously did something wrong if you can't find your music.

Wakeboy1337
September 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Well the theme I have isnt fancy, I just made my own dock design because I hate the weird gray/black like metal weird shit at the bottom. I also edited the top and gave it a new background.

In case you wanted to see my theme :)
(http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2231/img0007wp.png)
Things like LiveClock and LiveWeather, NoRotation are just so useful to me, along with the percentage of how much battery is left. Its the small things that really add up in my opinion.

Limited I'll be blad to post pics if you can tell me how you screen capture your ipod like that.

Limited
September 19th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Lol it's easy, hold power button and press home button, screen should flash and make a camera sound. File is saved under photos. Then just SSH it going into var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE/ and find the newest png.

Or you could just email yourself the picture.

Wakeboy1337
September 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
O_O Holy shit.

My mind is blown for not knowing that.

Edit.

Pics.
Apps I use all the time
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0033.png
Games I use all the time
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0034.png
Games I dont use so much and other fun stuff.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0035.png
Utilities
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0036.png
Crap I never really touch or have not put in place yet.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0037.png
Edit 2
Push to unlock
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0038.png

Limited
September 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
How the hell is that Emergency Radio app legal?

Wakeboy1337
September 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Its just like owning a radio scanner. You can listen but not talk. When I'm bored at night ill listen to the police chatter up in mass. where my gf is, or I'll listen to an air traffic control tower. It's pretty cool.

Limited
September 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah but, isnt it legal to have a police radio scanner? People could abuse it to get away from the police. Interesting stuff though, listening to all the American call signs and police chatter. Apparently some prep is stealing a car somewhere in NY.

Wakeboy1337
September 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Limited post pics of your Springboard.

EVERYONE ELSE DO DAH SAME NAO

Phopojijo
September 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah but, isnt it legal to have a police radio scanner? People could abuse it to get away from the police. Interesting stuff though, listening to all the American call signs and police chatter. Apparently some prep is stealing a car somewhere in NY.In most places it's completely legal, but will be an extra charge against you if found that you are using it in an illegal context.

Amit
September 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I need to get that app now. Owait, I need an iPod touch first. Damn you 4th-gen nano, why can't you be just as robust? Btw,Wakeboy, your GF is pretty.

Also, Limited, you're hearing radio chatter from another continent? :haw:

Limited
September 20th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Alright I'll post some pictures later when I've woken up properly, it's nothing special though.

Yeah listening from across the world, I think someone captures the broadcast then streams it like regular Internet radio. Scanners are illegal here I believe, it would be cool to hear the police and taxi people, plus would be I could here my sister at work, she works in the 999 (911) control room.

Wakeboy1337
September 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Thank you Amit.

Limited I dont think you would be able to hear her unless she is on the radio. you can't listen to a 911 phone call.

Limited
September 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Thank you Amit.

Limited I dont think you would be able to hear her unless she is on the radio. you can't listen to a 911 phone call.
She takes the calls, then goes over radio to direct the police officers :D

Forgot to take pictures of apps today, will do tomorrow :D (before hopefully ODST arrives)

Saggy
September 20th, 2009, 04:12 PM
How do you get the percentages to show up beside your battery? Mine totally replaces it.

Wakeboy1337
September 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I use SBSettings for that Saggy, Also the other number you see by clock is the amount of free memory my ipod has, That was I can tell if I've got too much going on at once before it starts closing apps on it's own. :D

Edit: SBSettings if you never have seen it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0042.png

Saggy
September 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
Yes, I use SBSettings, but this is what it looks like for me:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/818/img0058.png

As you can see, in the top right-hand corner is that the number the battery is at (30 in the pic) totally replaces the battery icon.

Limited
September 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Its More then Extras and enable Numeric Battery (top one). That did it for me.

Wakeboy1337
September 21st, 2009, 10:35 AM
Maybe it's another app I have, *looks through cydia*

Oh. Sorry. It's called "Battery Control" You can get it from Cydia, make sure it's compatable with your firmware first. Then once you install and and respring your device, goto your "settings" app and find "battery control".

Limited
September 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Finally got round to doing the pictures :P

Lockscreen
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/Beer-Me08/iPod/IMG_0008.png

Slide 1
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/Beer-Me08/iPod/IMG_0009.png

Slide 2
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/Beer-Me08/iPod/IMG_0010.png

Slide 3
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/Beer-Me08/iPod/IMG_0011.png

Slide 4
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/Beer-Me08/iPod/IMG_0012.png

Wakeboy1337
September 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
I like the battery mod for when it's charging. Also, how did you get different wallpapers for different pages?

Limited
September 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
I like the battery mod for when it's charging. Also, how did you get different wallpapers for different pages?
Hacks man hacks...nah its really easy, literally all you need is Winterboard and know what to name the pictures :D

Edit: Basically, just name your pictures Page0.png..Page*.png. 0 is the default home screen, so my slide 1 picture is "Page1.png"

Saggy
September 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe it's another app I have, *looks through cydia*

Oh. Sorry. It's called "Battery Control" You can get it from Cydia, make sure it's compatable with your firmware first. Then once you install and and respring your device, goto your "settings" app and find "battery control".
Ahh, there's my problem. I'm still running 2.2.1

Maybe it's time to upgrade. Anyone know a way of upgrading to 3.0 firmware without losing all my stuff?

Wakeboy1337
September 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have an App installed called "AptBackup" Idk how it works or if it will but you are supposed to be able to hit backup before you loose your stuff and when you upgrade your ipod/iphone hit restore and it will download all your stuff again. As far as I know there really is no way to save your stuff :/

Bhamid
September 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Is there an alternative to itunes which will let me manage my ipod? iTunes isn't picking up all of my videos (all in .mp4 format)

Wakeboy1337
September 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think you can use winamp to manage your tunes. But Idk if anything can do videos besides iTunes... Also if you are on an itouch its best to jsut stay on iTunes.

Bhamid
September 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Damn, I'm trying to find a way to get videos onto an iTouch. I'm guessing its the same problem as the one I had a while back with my Doves album (tags) but I can't find a program which will get rid of them for me so I can remake them.

Wakeboy1337
September 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Alright last night I couldn't sleep so I updated my iPod a bit.

Removed "tap to unlock" it started looking frucking ugly.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0054.png

Also reinstalled Six icon Dock and Five column SB

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0050.png
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0051.png
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0052.png
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/abc7896321045/iPod/IMG_0053.png