PDA

View Full Version : Since it seems to be in style right now

teh lag
September 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Help me with my philosophy project and get rep! (p.s. I may be a mod but I am still limited to 5 reps a day so it may take some time to get to you after the first 5 people) (p.p.s. I have everything I need now so no more rep after the post in which I indicated as such)

Just answer these here questions,

1) Do you consider yourself a religious person?
2)Are there things people should not be able to know about the universe?
3)Could it be possible to know exactly what someone is thinking at any given time?
4) Do you believe that there could be a higher being/higher beings overseeing the universe?
5) Do you believe there is a soul independent of the body?
6) Do you believe there is a purpose to life?
7) Are there components universal to all forms of beauty?
8) Should society pursue the goal of equality of opportunity?
9) Should society pursue the goal of equality of living standards?
10) If we encountered extraterrestrial life, would it be acceptable for religious organizations to try to convert them?
11) If something looks like a carrot and feels like a carrot, can you logically treat it like a carrot?

Terry
September 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
1) No
2) No
3) No
4) No
5) No
6) No
7) Yes
8) Yes
9) No
10) No
11) No

=sw=warlord
September 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Help me with my philosophy project and get rep!

Nope.
Not really but i am sure there are some things the current human brain could not possibly comprehend
3)Could it be possible to know exactly what someone is thinking at any given time?
The way thing's are going now with MRI tech its only a matter of time
4) Do you believe that there could be a higher being/higher beings overseeing the universe?
Not really no.
Nope
Yes, to pass on ones seed to give life to the next generation as well as any ambitions you may have.
no
possibly
If you mean reasonaly suitable living conditions then yes, but i do not wish the human race to end up as cavemen all over again if otherwise.
10) If we encountered extraterrestrial life, would it be acceptable for religious organizations to try to convert them?
Why would a religous organization try to convert people or extra terrestrials? i thought religion was supposed to come from the heart not be told what to believe
11) If something looks like a carrot and feels like a carrot, can you logically treat it like a carrot?
No not really.

^in bold.

annihilation
September 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
A: No

A: Anything is possible.

A: That depends, is the soul capable of that?

A: No.

A: No, why would there be?

A: Yes

A: No, if they have their own alien religeon then let them keep it.

A: Not unless it taste like a carrot.

Horns
September 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
At the moment, i just don't have enough facts/knowledge to say "yes there is a God' or "no there isn't a God'. I'm undecided right now.

No, we all live in it. I think we should be able to know everything about the universe. The thing is, there are almost unlimited things about the universe that we can learn since the universe itself has an unlimited ammount of space. I don't think we even know 10% of everything about the universe at this point.

It could be. I think it's just a freak kind of thing though. I don't think there are people that can actually read minds.

It's very possible. It's not proven true and it's not proven false so we can't really say yes or know. It's one of those things that is based on personal belief.

Yes, yes i do.

I believe there is some purpose. I don't know if we will every know that purpose though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder imo. Though I think there is a natural beauty that we all like. Curves for instance. If you're a guy that doesn't find the fine curves of a women beautiful then I think their might be something wrong with you.

Yes

No, I think everyone has a right to live their life to the standard that they want as long as it doesn't negatively effect other animals/plants.

If these E.T. were complex enough to make decisions like this for themselves I believe they should be able to make up their own mind on religion.

11) If something looks lik a carrot and feels like a carrot, can you logically treat it like a carrot?
If it smells like chicken, taste like chicken, than it must be chicken.

NullZero
September 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
No, but I have been brought in, as a religious being, but I do not act upon my foundings. Do I believe in it? Open mind.

Yes, people with ulterior motives & evil (but define evil?)

Yes, no doubt there will be technology that can interpret communication in the brain

Yes, there could be higher beings in the universe. Only a moron wouldn't keep an open mind.

I sit on the fence. Sort of like I am with religion.

No.

Yes.

Yes

Yes, but society will never reach the goal - we are human.

No, it is completely up to the individual if they would like to convert to a religion. The individual should go to the religion, instead of the religion going to them. If you look at terroists, they preach and use violence because we don't believe their beliefs - they are in effect, trying to convert us. The relationship between ET life and human kind would be very fragile for a while (if we got past the invasion side of things), so terrroism on ET would not be accepted.

Yes, unless a person with an acute perception can spot any difference (which hypothetically, there is non).

I'm tired, so my answers are a little confusing.

Masterz1337
September 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
You and Conscars are following in my footsteps. Soon you'll be handing out beta invites to those that actually do your homework for you. :p

killer9856
September 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Help me with my philosophy project and get rep! (p.s. I may be a mod but I am still limited to 5 reps a day so it may take some time to get to you)

3/4th's of the way.

Yes, its better to leave those things alone.

Yes

Yes

No

Yup

Yes

Yes

No

10) If we encountered extraterrestrial life, would it be acceptable for
religious organizations to try to convert them?
No

No

Answeres bolded

Heathen
September 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Help me with my philosophy project and get rep!

2) Are there things people should not be able to know about the universe?
3) Could it be possible to know exactly what someone is thinking at any given time?

No, I do not believe in things that can't logically exist.
No, I think that everyone should be able to know what they learn.
Yes, you can know what someone is thinking at any given time by using body language or intuition.
No, I don't believe there is a higher power being, because I am not so self centered to think that we are important enough to be observed. That DOESN'T make me closed minded, because I am not saying that there isn't a higher power, but that I don't think one exists. Prove me, positively, that they exist, and I would believe.
No, there would be no reason for such a thing to exist, nor is there any proof of one.
Yes, the purpose of life is what you make of it.
No, beauty is subjective.
No, I think it should be the individual that works to gain an equal opportunity, not the mass of society working for them.
No, again, because I think that one should work for the equality.
NO, absolutely not. If the beings went so far without religious cults, let them be so lucky.
No, blindly accepting something based on observations is not what logic is.

Ganon
September 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
1) no
2) yes
3) no
4) yes
5) yes
6) yes
7) yes
8) no
9) yes
10) no
11) yes

Alwin Roth
September 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Not Quite, just believe there's a God.
Yes
No
No
No
No
No
Yes
Yes
No
NO

there.

Mass
September 14th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Help me with my philosophy project and get rep! (p.s. I may be a mod but I am still limited to 5 reps a day so it may take some time to get to you)

1) Do you consider yourself a religious person? Yes.
2)Are there things people should not be able to know about the universe? No, but there are plenty of things it is not possible to know, and maybe we'd be happier if we knew less.
3)Could it be possible to know exactly what someone is thinking at any given time? Highly unlikely, unless you knew the whereabouts of every atom in their brain and understood incredibly subtle differences in electronic and chemical signals.
4) Do you believe that there could be a higher being/higher beings overseeing the universe? I have no idea, although any such being would be wholly unimaginable in its true nature.
5) Do you believe there is a soul independent of the body? No.
6) Do you believe there is a purpose to life? The purpose to life is life itself and the preservation and expansion of such.
I think it would be very difficult to argue this one, but no, specific things of beauty will be unique in how they come to be beautiful.
8) Should society pursue the goal of equality of opportunity? Society should pursue the goal of maximum total opportunity, and do the best possible job of even dispersal.
9) Should society pursue the goal of equality of living standards? Yes.
10) If we encountered extraterrestrial life, would it be acceptable for religious organizations to try to convert them? In an obscene majority of cases, no. However it completely depends on the nature of the alien race, and how much we encounter them.
11) If something looks like a carrot and feels like a carrot, can you logically treat it like a carrot? If your senses tell you something is something you can do nothing more correct than to treat it as such.
heh, homework

Warsaw
September 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Help me with my philosophy project and get rep! (p.s. I may be a mod but I am still limited to 5 reps a day so it may take some time to get to you after the first 5 people)

Not particularly.

No; people should learn everything they can.

No, but you can know the probability of what one is thinking.

Possibly. Still on the fence for this one.

See above.

No. Life is a coincidence, an unlikely series of chemical reactions that started purely by chance because the right components were in the right place at exactly the right time.

Yes, like symmetry. Symmetry can be physical or abstract.

This is treading in a grey area. Equal opportunity, yes. Bringing down standards and bringing down others because they have the intelligence to exploit advantages when they see them, however, is wrong on all levels.

Yes, though it is unachievable, it gives something to strive for, thus progressing the race as a whole (not all at a uniform rate though).

No, because the existence of extraterrestrial life is not included in any world religions save Scientology, which is not a religion but a joke that only the truly ignorant, stupid, Darwinian Justice-deserving fools lap up as a true belief.

No, because it must smell and taste like a carrot, as well as have the same chemical make-up as a carrot. A well-made wax carrot is not, in fact, a carrot and thus cannot be treated as such.

Answers are in bold.

Timo
September 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Help me with my philosophy project and get rep! (p.s. I may be a mod but I am still limited to 5 reps a day so it may take some time to get to you after the first 5 people)

No - parents weren't religious, so was never really introduced to the idea until it was too late.
No
Yes - Looking back 100 years the impossible is now possible, so there's no point assuming that it won't be in the future.
Maybe
Maybe
No, it was luck that brought us here.
Yes
Yes (depends on how it's pursued - equal opportunities can degrade what others have achieved. Politicians here have put forward an idea that Maori should have direct entrance to University without prerequisites. These people would put a drain on the Uni, overall degrading the quality of teaching. Quality > Quantity)
Yes - depends on how it's pursued. Throwing money at people that aren't willing to try, those accepting that living on government payments is a good way to live shouldn't have the right to having the living standards of those that have worked hard and made something for themselves.
No, there's more to a carrot than looks and feel.
No

Mass
September 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
No, because the existence of extraterrestrial life is not included in any world religions save Scientology, which is not a religion but a joke that only the truly ignorant, stupid, Darwinian Justice-deserving fools lap up as a true belief.

What if the extraterrestrial life we encounter is Xenu

Needles
September 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
yes

No
No
Yes
Yes
No
No
Yes
Yes
yes
yes

Sel
September 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
1) No
2) No
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Yes
6) No
7) Yes
8) No
9) Yes
10) No
11) No

Heathen
September 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Personally, I think that scientologists aren't even serious.

Either they are insane, or they are the most dedicated trolls of religion ever.

mech
September 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Yeah man.

No man.

Sure man, If I'm eating my own feces in class; I mean straight up ripping that shit out of my ass and eating it, then I'd know that the class would think I'm fucking crazy.

Sure man, maybe a subconsions even.

Yeah man.

Fuck bitches, make money, respect.

Yeah man, but the same applies if you're fucking ugly.

No. It runs into more shit man.

No. It'd be a gay world.

10) If we encountered extraterrestrial life, would it be acceptable for
religious organizations to try to convert them?

Fuck no. We'd be to busy getting anally probed.

Well I eat carrots. Let's say that there's some feces painted orange in the shape of a carrot. It looks and feels like a carrot so why not eat it. get my drift? Of course YES, I love eating feces.

NO.

ultama121

No.
No.
No.
Yes.
I'm not sure, but probably not.
Maybe, maybe not, but if I had to put a definite answer then yes.
Yes.
Yes.
No.
Hell no.
No.

n00b1n8R
1) No
2)Yes (female reproductive system)
3)No (does anybody even fully know what they're thinking??)
4) It's not an impossability but I think it's an extreme improbability.
5) No.
6) Do the best you can but try to have fun is mine, but it varies from person to person (even not doing anything can be some kind of purpose, or aiming to end it vOv)
7) They all exist within this universe vOv
8) Yes.
9) I believe there should be a minimum living standard, but equality sounds too much like communism for my tastes. I'd rather people have a solid base and can work to better it (so i spose if you want a yes/no answer, it's a no).
10) Personally, I don't believe activly seeking to convert anybody is a good idea, wheather they live down the street, in another country or on the opposite end of the galaxy.
11) It's a good start but I'd rather more data before I diffinitevly said it was a carrot.

Push me into 3K pl0x

AAA
September 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
not really.

Absolutely not. it sounds like life itself has laws.

No, for you'll never REALLY know.

Yes. We're not alone, it's known and it's practical

Quite questionable. But, the brain is capable of many things, so I'd have to say no.

Some days I do, some days I don't. I like to believe there is, though.

yes.

Yes.

...Yes? I can see as how it'd be a bad thing, but why not?

No.

11) If something looks like a carrot and feels like a carrot, can you logically
treat it like a carrot?
Yes.

Answers in Bold..

Segnaro
September 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
What Mech said = knowledge.

flibitijibibo
September 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
1) No
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No
5) No
6) No
7) No
8) Yes
9) Yes
10) No
11) No

Saggy
September 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
1) No.
2) No. Everyone should be allowed to know anything they want to know. All though I understand, sometimes that just isn't possible.
3) Honestly not sure.
4) Yes, possibly. I doubt where the only intelligent lifeform in this universe
5) No.
6) Yes.
7) No.
8) Yes.
9) Yes.
10) No. Let them be who they want to be.
11) Only if they truly are a carrot.

Syuusuke
September 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
3) Could it be possible to know exactly what someone is thinking at any given time?

1. No
2. Yes, only the media though.
3. Sure
4. Not anymore
5. Only at birth, after that, no
6. It's up to the person, but yes.
7. Ever since human existence, no.
8. No.
9. No.
10. No.
11. Nope.

teh lag
September 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Alright, thanks a bunch everyone! That's all I need.

Your rep will be sent in order of posting over the next 4 or so days (no I will not rep posts after this post).

Feel free to do what you want in here from now on, just don't make a mess of it.

flibitijibibo
September 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Really? WOO, PARTYYY, YEA-

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1618/droppedit.jpg

Aw. Sorry, lag...

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
old pic

Kinda
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Indeed
Waste
Waste
If they are willing
I don't like carrots >:U

sdavis117
September 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM
1) No
2) I don't know. If such things existed, I would not know about them.
3) You are thinking about blinking. /mindblown
4) I don't know.
5) I don't know.
6) Yes. Sex. Sexy sex.
7) No
8) Yes
9) Sure, just be careful who you chose to lead this society.
10) No.
11) Maybe. Depends, is someone trying to mess with you, or did you pull it out of a plastic bag you got from the store that is labeled Carrots?

Rob Oplawar
September 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM
1) No
2) What do you mean "should"? I think people have a right to know, but I also believe there are some things that simply cannot be known.
3) Sure, given powerful enough technology, which we'll have sooner or later.
4) I accept the possibility, but I don't think there's any way of knowing for sure, save "divine intervention".
5) Again, I accept the possibility.
6) Once again, I accept the possibility.
7) Beauty is itself too subjective a term. It's a word, which bears interpretation.
8) Absolutely.
9) Pursue, but not enforce. I ain't no communist, hurf. To an extent, assistance must be mandated, but never to the point where all are forced to the same level.
10) Absolutely not. It makes no sense whatsoever.
11) If it's indistinguishable from a carrot, then for all intents and purposes that's what it is, even if in some meta-universe/higher dimension it is something else; if it doesn't affect our perception, then to us it doesn't matter.

hth

Con
September 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM

No
If it can be known about, why not?
When you know someone well enough, you come to expect their thoughts and reactions...that's the only case though.
Unlikely; it just creates more questions.
No
No
Yes
Yes
To an extent.
No. They should make the choice themselves without being pressured.
No

ICEE
September 14th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Absolutely not
I dont see why there would be
Yes
Theoretically, yes. However I dont believe they give half a shit about the benevolence of human kind
Yes
To reproduce
Nay
No such thing
A nice thought, but I dont believe it will happen
I dont think its acceptable for religious organizations to try to convert anyone.
Yes. Especially if I am under the impression that is indeed a carrot.

Answers in bold

kid908
September 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
No I'm not religious, but I do have a religion.

No, there are things we might not be able to comprehend, but there shouldn't be a restriction on the flow of information about science.

Yes. We use less than 10% (or was it 15%?) of our brain power. If we learn to use 100% of it, we theoretically can read minds, but also be able to block the reading of one's mind. So it's a Yes-No answer. Then there's the moral of doing so.

Yes. We could be an experiment by Advance "humans" to research their development as a species. We could also one day become those higher beings and try to research our past through artificial universes.

Yes. The physical body and soul are 2 seperate entity, but is closely "knitted" together.

42 (that's a yes, but the answer is not necessarily 42)

No. beauty standards differ greatly.

No. More qualified individuals should have more opportunities. Less qualified people should have less opportunities.

Equality...no. But a minimum standard of living? Yes.

No. Would you want then to try to convert you? Religion is the reason of wars (one of them) in the past, and will likely appear as the reason for other wars in the future.

Sure. If it looks like a carrot to a degree that makes it distinguishable (meaning there's no doubt that it is a carrot and not some dumbass in a costume), why wouldn't you treat it as a carrot?

My answers are in bold

Bodzilla
September 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
1) no
2) no
3) no
4) no, dont be ridiculous.
5) no, show me evidence then we'll talk.
6) yes, but it's not predetermined, life is what YOU make it.
7) no, beauty is a perception
8) yes
9) yes
10) no, havnt they done enough damage here >_<
11) no, if it aint a carrot it isnt a dam carrot despite the similarity's.