PDA

View Full Version : Dating Age Topic

STLRamsFan
September 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Alright guys, I know a coworker who is currently dating an 17 year old who is just going into her senior year in high school. He is in his 20s (pretty sure 22 or 23). Now the relationship is not sexual from what I understand and he has been dating her since she was 16.

With that being said, with the age of consent being 18 in the US, do you believe it is perfectly fine for a person above 18 to be dating someone who is below 18? I understand the whole just turned 18 and other is 17 at the moment, but besides that.

Anyway, what you guys think?

Rules: Keep the BS to a minimum... :v:

mech
September 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Alright guys, I know a coworker who is currently dating an 17 year old who is just going into her high school year. He is in his 20s (pretty sure 22 or 23). Now the relationship is not sexual from what I understand and he has been dating her since she was 16.

With that being said, with the age of consent being 18 in the US, do you believe it is perfectly fine for a person above 18 to be dating someone who is below 18? I understand the whole just turned 18 and other is 17 at the moment, but besides that.

Anyway, what you guys think?

Rules: Keep the BS to a minimum... :v:

What the fuck kind of relationship is this http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-psyduck.gif

Age of consent isn't the same throughout the states, but an adult getting busted with a minor changes things. She could pull a you rap'd me.

Neuro Guro
September 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
-

STLRamsFan
September 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Don't ask, just something my coworker told me one day. :|

Edit: Response to Mech.

SnaFuBAR
September 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Age doesn't matter. Numbers change. It's more about the two people involved etc etc etc.

Higuy
September 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
uhhh
numbers and age dosen't matter. my mom and dad are like 5 or 7 years apart, and I have a friend in who's dating a sophomore and hes a freshmen
as long as the two people like each other, should be fine, and i don't see anything against it (unless she was like 12 or 14 and the guy was 22 :X)

mech
September 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Age does actually matter because if the chick were to say you did something to her for any reason and you're an adult while she's a minor, you'd get a felony on your record.

This probably isn't going to happen though.

Heathen
September 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I think any age can date, as long as the parents consent to it.

=sw=warlord
September 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Age does actually matter because if the chick were to say you did something to her for any reason and you're an adult while she's a minor, you'd get a felony on your record.

This probably isn't going to happen though.
Only if it's proven.

Also come back when you find out a 19 year old is getting married to a 53 year old.
:smith:

StankBacon
September 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
its fine.

Rob Oplawar
September 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I more or less agree with Snaf, but I voted for the second option...
My opinion is that yes, circumstances vary greatly from person to person- for example, my brother is 18 and dating a 15-year-old, which would make certain actions technically illegal, but they are a great couple and very well suited for each other. But for a counter-example, I've known young girls to be taken advantage of by older guys, which just isn't cool.

At that young age (whichever one is under 18), I tend to expect naivete and poor judgement, although by no means do I expect it from everyone. In general, statistically, that sort of age difference in a relationship is a bad idea, despite the fact that it works very well for some.

So, while I'm a fan of choice and trust and all that, I have to say as a general rule that caution is well advised in this sort of circumstance.

kid908
September 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
technically it's not after 17 or 18 that you become a pedophile if you date a minor. there's an age range that is acceptable (I believe the max on that cap was 22 dating 15 year old) so Seeing how he's in his 20's and she's (in Texas is considered an adult already) about to turn 18 (a year or less away) and will be considered an adult in some states, I see no problem with it.

Bodzilla
September 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM
i dont believe in the invisible line thats created by the law but it still makes me very nervous.
not because of the whole rape thing but as rob said there is a massive difference in peoples thinking patterns in those ages and it's very very easy for people to misinterpret each other and arrive at a different conclusion, that is why it's essential that both people know exactly where the other stands.

I am 20, and i have a 17yr old girlfriend (age of consent is 16 in australia) and i still think of myself as a dirty old man :smith:
in the beginning there was a bit of confusion between us because she had the expectations that a boyfriend needs to be texting her and talking to her and knowing where she is at all hours of the day.
i set her straight on that "look babe, just because i'm not texting you every couple of hours and i dont know exactly where you are at any given point doesnt mean i dont care. If you and your girlfriends want to go to the beach and have fun or whatever go nuts and do it, ya dont need my permission :)"

things are much much better now.

ICEE
September 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Age doesn't necessarily matter. Maturity is what is important. However I tend to take the pessimistic opinion that virtually no one in high school (or the teenage range for the most part) is really mature. I think it says a lot about what a man wants out of a woman if he chooses to date someone that much younger, and I don't think it will work out in the end. At different ages, you really expect different things from your significant other. However when you reach the college age, the line begins to blur. Personally, I would never date a girl who was still in highschool. I finally got finished with that shit, why would I want to be dragged back to it?

annihilation
September 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
She's 17, she knows damn good and well what she is doing.
As long as they don't have sex or talk dirty to her then I see no major problem.

Corndogman
September 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hey girl I have a car look how cool I am wanna date me?

naw, just playing. I like to go by the (your age/2 + 7) rule, but there are always exceptions, depending on the maturity (physically, mentally, and emotionally) of the younger person. This is one of those topics that is always going to be debated whether or not it should be restricted by law since you can't generalize individual people in such situations.

paladin
September 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
When I was 17, I fucked a 24 year old.

PlasbianX
September 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM

How much did she cost?

Corndogman
September 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM

How much did he cost?

flibitijibibo
September 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Heh... age of consent laws.

My gf is three months older than me, so for the three months that she was 18 and I was 17, I joked that she was technically a pedophile.

StankBacon
September 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
How much did she cost?

How much did he cost?

lolwut

Good_Apollo
September 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'm 21 and my girl is 17. Yeah, I don't care. :iamafag:

Limited
September 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I think its perfectly fine and I believe age is only a number and doesnt really mean anything in relationships. Like ICE said, maturity is what counts. If shes mature and acts responsively then who cares, if she acts like a little school girl then yeah theres a problem.

Personally I go for girls who are roughly my age, it would feel weird to go out with any one a couple of years younger to me.

As for sex, I feel if 2 people love each other and both truly want it then they should be able to do whatever in their own home.

US is alot more strict about age of consent laws than UK though.

Corndogman
September 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
lolwut

See what I did there? :realsmug:

Atty
September 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Age doesn't matter. Numbers change. It's more about the two people involved etc etc etc.A bit of a bias opinion since you are one in a relationship with someone under 18 while your in your mid-late 20's.

Personally, I believe ages don't really matter as much as mental maturity does. As we get older what we want out of a relationship evolves, changes, etc, and if someone of a substantially younger age wants the same things and is emotionally mature enough to handle such a relationship then it's perfectly acceptable.

...I would go on but meh, I'm having trouble paying attention to my TV. Will go on lata.

rossmum
September 14th, 2009, 10:42 PM
It's fine. If she were under 16 I'd be a little dubious and suggest holding off for a while, but 16 is all good.

Dunno why you guys keep 18 as the age of consent, to be honest.

Warsaw
September 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Because Amerika was founded by Protestant prudes fleeing from His Majesty in England...and they never really moved on past the 19th Century.

I agree with Ross, anything below 16 is kinda shady, I don't personally believe it's possible for one to be emotionally and mentally mature enough before that age, and even then, it's still a bit questionable.

NuggetWarmer
September 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
My great grandmother married a 26 year old when she was 14. They stayed together until death. It's about the love between one another, not the age.

Rob Oplawar
September 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Honestly, I'm astounded by the level of thoughtfulness and maturity in this thread.

How much did she cost?

How much did he cost?
Well, so much for that...

When I was 17 I dated a 21 year old girl. We were never really on the same page. :/

According to this thread it comes down to maturity and I think that's right. You're only really as old as you feel, to use a colloquialism, and I think it's important for a couple to feel about the same age. If one in a couple feels like a teenager and the other like a college-age, I don't see that relationship working well, even if they are the same literal age.

Ganon
September 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Went out with a freshman as a senior, so uhh :]

Phopojijo
September 15th, 2009, 12:36 AM
My great grandmother married a 26 year old when she was 14. They stayed together until death. It's about the love between one another, not the age.And the very different mindset about womens' rights and marriage at that time...

Limited
September 15th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Went out with a freshman as a senior, so uhh :]
I have no idea what that means, but nice work :D

n00b1n8R
September 15th, 2009, 01:42 AM
It's a little far appart for my taste, but I don't have a problem with it, it's none of my buisness after all. vOv

(age of consent at 16 here~)
Age doesn't matter. Numbers change. It's more about the two people involved etc etc etc.
keep telling yourself that http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-mmmsmug.gif

neuro
September 15th, 2009, 02:05 AM
saudi arabia, an 80 year old guy is married to a 10 year old girl.

gg

n00b1n8R
September 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I'm sure you could find an 80 yr old to marry Tweek, don't worry. :)

SnaFuBAR
September 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM
A bit of a bias opinion

An opinion shaped by experience and consideartion for each case and the inclination of each individual involved is bias? hah. By my very outlook, it's impossible for me to be biased. :ugh:

TVTyrant
September 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
saudi arabia, an 80 year old guy is married to a 10 year old girl.

gg
/thread :lock: